Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 259248 times)

Offline TimelessSymphony

• just a random guy
Re: The "Apple Inc." Thread WWDC 2012
« Reply #3045 on: June 11, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
Another OS X? Blech, I'm still on Snow Leopard.

Me too, and to be honest don't want to upgrade to Lion at all...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3046 on: June 11, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »
Apple basically releases a service pack every year to 18 months, but they call it a "new" OS and charge for it.

Microsoft releases a new OS once a decade with service packs in between.  They charge more (generally) for the OS, but the service packs between releases are free.

Cumulatively speaking, if you buy all of Apple's upgrades, like just about everything Apple sells, you will pay a premium.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3047 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
Apple just released their new Macbook Pro and Air line. These are, to me, the best personal computers on earth. Absolutely stunning.

https://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-wwdc-2012-liveblog/

All I'm seeing is a scrolling list of stuff about iPads or something.

What is so great about these new Macbooks? Are they 20% shinier?

Its considerably thinner, at the expense of reducing trivial things like firewire, some of the usb ports, wired LAN and an optical drive to external dongles which you have to pay extra for.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:50:50 PM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3048 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:42 PM »
Trivial to some but I don't think sacrificing practicality to meet the "thinner, smaller" mindset is always a good thing. You're basically paying a premium for subtracted features, unless only the Air is the one getting the parts chopped off.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3049 on: June 11, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »
Don't feel like reading through all of that. Did they announce a release date for the new Iphone?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3050 on: June 11, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »
Don't feel like reading through all of that. Did they announce a release date for the new Iphone?

What he said.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #3051 on: June 11, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »

What he said.

Of course not.  We know iOS 6 is coming out this fall, but no news of any new iPhone.  Any news of a new iPhone right now is just pure conjecture based on previous trends.

What was most exciting about this WWDC was, ironically, not software but the new MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display.  The display has over 5 million pixels total, 3 million more than an HDTV.  It's extremely impressive from any perspective.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3052 on: June 12, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »
Figured out I get a free phone upgrade in October and that my Mid 2010 White Unibody Macbook can take 8GB of Memory, I will using iOS6 and Mac OSX Mountain Lion to its fullest capabilities possible :) well except for the Retina screen on the new Macbook, but software wise I am!  :tup
May The Force Be With You.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3053 on: June 12, 2012, 01:45:22 AM »
Trivial to some but I don't think sacrificing practicality to meet the "thinner, smaller" mindset is always a good thing. You're basically paying a premium for subtracted features, unless only the Air is the one getting the parts chopped off.

I assumed XJDenton was being sarcastic. :|
It can't be anywhere near the "best personal computer on earth" as emindead said when it's lacking basic computer features.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3054 on: June 12, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »

I assumed XJDenton was being sarcastic. :|

You would be correct. I agree with orcus that they seem to be compromising on features purely for the sake of aesthetic and lightness, which while understandable on the air seems counter-productive on the pro, which is more like a desktop replacement system, and most industry people who would buy it would probably need those features.

Then again I hated the idea of the iPad and that sold a metric fuckton, so I dont think I really represent apple's target audience that well.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3055 on: June 12, 2012, 06:43:20 AM »
I'm so glad they did this refresh, since my 2009 White Macbook is seriously showing its age.

I had my eye on the Retina Macbook but $2200 is a hard pill to swallow, so I'll probably get that 13 inch Macbook Pro.

Does anybody know if there's a big advantage between the I5 and I7 chip sets?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #3056 on: June 12, 2012, 08:26:51 AM »
If you're not doing professional video editing or something and need to compress stuff all the time then no. i5 will do just fine. Added bonus is less heat and longer battery life if you go for the i5.

You would be correct. I agree with orcus that they seem to be compromising on features purely for the sake of aesthetic and lightness, which while understandable on the air seems counter-productive on the pro, which is more like a desktop replacement system, and most industry people who would buy it would probably need those features.

Then again I hated the idea of the iPad and that sold a metric fuckton, so I dont think I really represent apple's target audience that well.
I see your point on the removed features though as often the case with Apple they are trying to innovate, trying to change the industry. Even in industry surroundings things like ethernet and CDs/DVDs are getting fewer and alternatives are getting easier and cheaper so they are trying to play into that.
I think the 'new generation' MacBook Pro is a great idea but here in Belgium €2280 (yes they just changed the $ to € here and then added some) which is about $2850 for the cheapest model (thus 256 GB storage) and you can't upgrade the cheapest model to 512 GB to so you have to buy the €2900 one which is $3620 for 512GB.
Very, very nice concept but insane pricing.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:40:38 AM by kári »

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3057 on: June 12, 2012, 08:36:57 AM »
As kári said, the i5 is perfectly fine for most people, for gaming or normal usage.
Unless you do rendering and video work (or something similarly ridiculously CPU intensive), then it's probably best to put that extra money to better use and go with the i5.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3058 on: June 12, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »
nvm I misread :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:47:04 AM by kári »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3059 on: June 13, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »
On the subject of the macbook pro, someone broke one open:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/3

Explains why the upgrades are so expensive. Everything is proprietary, and everything up to and including the ram is soldered to the motherboard, so each model is a different motherboard. It also makes future upgradesor repairs on the system pretty much impossible.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3060 on: June 13, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
everything up to and including the ram is soldered to the motherboard, so each model is a different motherboard.

WTF
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3061 on: June 13, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
everything up to and including the ram is soldered to the motherboard, so each model is a different motherboard.

WTF
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3062 on: June 13, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
Its not an uncommon practice in ultraportable systems which have a premium of space, but IMO the pro shouldn't be an ultraportable so shouldnt really have this problem.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3063 on: June 13, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »
I think the Air was the ultraportable. What the hell, man.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3064 on: June 13, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
i was planning to get a mac for college, and when i first heard about the new pro i was excited, but the price and lack of a disc drive ruins it for me.  hoping therell be some nice price cuts on the regular pro, though not sure what to do regarding processor and hard drive size, but i guess ill figure it out..

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3065 on: June 14, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
I don't understand why apple didn't put an optical into the new Pro. Stupid move, IMO. I know we're in the digital age, where everyone downloads stuff from the internet, but I like to rip my CDs to iTunes and watch DVDs on my macbook pro and I'm sure other people do too.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3066 on: June 14, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
I don't understand why apple didn't put an optical into the new Pro. Stupid move, IMO. I know we're in the digital age, where everyone downloads stuff from the internet, but I like to rip my CDs to iTunes and watch DVDs on my macbook pro and I'm sure other people do too.
Then you can get a "regular" MBP which are exactly the same as before except for a spec bump. The only MBP without an optical drive is the "Next generation MBP" which is the thinner one with the retina screen.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: June 14, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
I know that. It just seems like a bad idea, that's all.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3069 on: June 27, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »
LOL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3071 on: June 27, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »
Dear Apple,

Fuck off.

Sincerely,
Everyone who doesn't think you can patent everything

https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/27/tech/gaming-gadgets/judge-apple-stops-samsung-galaxy-sales/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3072 on: June 27, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »
Apple do love to throw their weight around.
All of these patent lawsuits between companies are crazy right now, and not just from Apple's side either. The patents that Apple are arguing seemed to be pretty trivial though (from what little the I could gather from the links), so I suspect they're just fishing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3073 on: June 28, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
Given that the judge stopped the sales of the Samsung tablet, there's actually got to be something legit to this lawsuit.

The real problem is not companies suing over seemingly trivial patents, it's that they are allowed to obtain patents on trivial things. If I was granted a patent, I'd sue my competitor who was infringing on it, no matter how trivial it may seem. I wouldn't give my competitor a break.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3074 on: July 18, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »
Whats the best method to unlock an iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.1.1? Go Go Go  :tup

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3075 on: July 18, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »
 :rollin

I used cydia on my iPad. It was very simple and I could play my pokemans.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3076 on: July 18, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »
Thats Jailbreaking right? I'm looking for a Carrier unlock. I sold my friend a phone and she's not on the same carrier I'm on so I need a good unlock tool to do it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: July 25, 2012, 08:40:49 AM »
Does anyone know how to set up an iPhone on a new computer?

I just got a new computer. I already authorized iTunes and transferred the purchases from my iPhone, but when I hit sync nothing really happens. Everything is still on there and uneditable. I thought syncing it would basically clear the iPhone. Do I have to completely restore it? Would that delete the contacts off the phone as well?

Offline farsight

« Reply #3078 on: July 26, 2012, 02:34:09 AM »
Quite my problem too. Are you on AT&T? They now offer unlocks.

Afaik, the current ultrasnow unlock for the 3gs requires the iPad baseband, which will brick the phone's GPS. As of now, I'm waiting for a jailbreak that will downgrade the phone to the original baseband.

Or you can buy one of those IMEI unlocks. They're quite costly though.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3079 on: July 26, 2012, 03:30:07 AM »
Does anyone know how to set up an iPhone on a new computer?

I just got a new computer. I already authorized iTunes and transferred the purchases from my iPhone, but when I hit sync nothing really happens. Everything is still on there and uneditable. I thought syncing it would basically clear the iPhone. Do I have to completely restore it? Would that delete the contacts off the phone as well?

it has to do with it being a different xml file for you iTunes library. If you are running iOS5 your contacts are automatically backed up to the cloud. Best thing to do is go to Settings - iCloud - back up now. on your iPhone. Just to make SURE everything is backed up properly. Then restore it to factory defaults installing the newest OS. When it gives you the option in iTunes select - Restore from iCloud backup. That should fix everything assuming you are on iOS 5.