Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 154837 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Kamelot
« Reply #560 on: March 09, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
Dude. That's my favorite Kamelot song.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline robwebster

« Reply #561 on: March 09, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
My rankings:

Black Halo
Epica
Silverthorn
Ghost Opera
Poetry for the Poisoned

The rest
Accepting that I've not got everything (this isn't a band I've ever been completionist about - I just snap up what I see when I see it), here's basically where I stand...

1. The Fourth Legacy
2. One Cold Winter's Night
3. Ghost Opera
4. The Black Halo
5. Siege Perilous
6. Poetry for the Poisoned

The Black Halo is lower than you might expect only because I think everything that's brilliant about it is twice as brilliant on the OCWN disc. That is a properly phenomenal performance, with all the essential tracks. And you know what? I've lost my copy! ...Bums!! But I agree the songs are killer, and I'd totally recommend it to any new fan, I just think they did it better later.

I'm no big fan of Siege Perilous, but it had some memorable songs on it. Poetry for the Poisoned really disappointed - and it's a shame, cos it's got the best title of any of their albums. I gather I really need to track down Silverthorn, mind.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #562 on: March 09, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
All this renewed Kamelot talk made me revisit some memories. The one time they were here they played this:

Solitaire
Rule the World
When the Lights are Down
Soul Society
Descent of the Archangel
Center of the Universe
Abandoned
Nights of Arabia
Instrumental Jam
The Human Stain
The Haunting (Somewhere in Time)
EdenEcho
Keyboard Solo
Forever
Encore:
Ghost Opera
Love You To Death
March of Mephisto

Don't know if they change setlists a lot during shows but this one was fucking sick.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: March 09, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
Yea that looks like a sick set. They will change sets over shows although it's usually only a few songs that rotate but what I've noticed over the years is that they really play the same songs most tours and just substitute in the newer. Songs and maybe through in a rarer song. When I last saw them they played Don't You Cry which was awesome.

Also the DVD for OCWN is amazing, my favorite concert DVD.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: March 09, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »

I dI'd a bit of searching, and it could be a limited edition release of both cds and dvds.

Yeah I can't find anything on the entire thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: March 09, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »

I have no clue, maybe he's selling them together. But I believe they were released seperate.

Is it all in one box?

It makes it sound like it's all one box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAMELOT-One-cold-winters-Night-LIVE-2-CD-2-DVD-pack-/380422692510?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item5892f59e9e

Yeah, it's one package.  I own it.  It was released seperate also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: March 09, 2014, 08:52:05 PM »

Do you know if it's a non US package or anything?  I can't find any specifics on it.

*Edit: I did find mention here https://www.bravewords.com/news/50421

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: March 09, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »

Do you know if it's a non US package or anything?  I can't find any specifics on it.

*Edit: I did find mention here https://www.bravewords.com/news/50421

Not sure what you mean there man, sorry.  It's a standard fold out large digi with the 2CD's on one side and the 2DVD's on the other.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: March 09, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
Not sure what you mean there man, sorry.  It's a standard fold out large digi with the 2CD's on one side and the 2DVD's on the other.

Like how some special stuff is Germany only, or Australia only or so and so only.

I wonder if this "Edition" was not sold in the USA, hence my problems finding info on it from US resellers.

Discogs lists the 4 disc editions as Germany and Mexico released. I'm not sure how accurate their data is, though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »
My guess would be that it looks like this.

Like how some special stuff is Germany only, or Australia only or so and so only.

I wonder if this "Edition" was not sold in the USA, hence my problems finding info on it from US resellers.

Discogs lists the 4 disc editions as Germany and Mexico released. I'm not sure how accurate their data is, though.

Not sure man, but I can have a squizz at it later when I get home and let you know if it says anything special on it.  It was actually pretty easy to find here in Australia.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »
My guess would be that it looks like this.

Well it came. It looks like this:

It's pretty much the crummiest "Limited/Special Edition" I've ever come across.  It had stickers on it that suggested it was specifically released for Mexico though...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
As long as it plays.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: March 15, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »
As long as it plays.

It does, and cost me $16 bucks for both the DVDs and CDs. So not much to complain about.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2014, 01:46:53 PM »
It's still a digipack though, isn't it? Despite the awful slots for the discs.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
It's still a digipack though, isn't it? Despite the awful slots for the discs.

I guess you could call it that. It's flimsier than a digipack I think. 

Offline NotePad

« Reply #575 on: March 21, 2014, 01:14:06 AM »
Damn i need to get into Kamelot. What led me here was Ark, and love Tore Ostby and his style, so i learned about Conception but have heard little of them. And I hear a lot about this Roy Kahn guy, and i learn he's in Kamelot, a band i hear great things about.

Would you consider Kamelot a power metal band? Is there anyone they can be compared to? And i'm wondering, what are their lyrics like? Do they deal with mostly fantasy themes, like many bands like them do?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #576 on: March 21, 2014, 03:11:16 AM »
Yep, power metal and fantasy. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: March 21, 2014, 03:58:16 AM »
Well, it's not magic-castles-heroes-dragons and stuff fantasy, not Blind Guardian-esque lyrics. I wouldn't call lyrics on concept albums (Epica, The Black Halo and Silverthorn, in case NotePad doesn't know) fantasy at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: March 21, 2014, 06:37:08 AM »
I think the fantasy lyrics are mostly from the earlier albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: March 21, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »
Mindflux, you got fucking ripped off.  I have never seen that and would question that packaging, absolutely dreadful.  Not to rub it in, but I took some pics of mine to share;

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: March 21, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »
Mindflux, you got fucking ripped off.  I have never seen that and would question that packaging, absolutely dreadful.  Not to rub it in, but I took some pics of mine to share;

Mine is indeed legit (as I've found out) it's just the ultra budget version apparently.  :rollin

I've never seen your edition.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »

Mine is indeed legit (as I've found out) it's just the ultra budget version apparently.  :rollin

I've never seen your edition.

As I said earlier, it was relatively easy to find instores around the time it was released.  Mine says on the back Made in Germany.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #582 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »
I just have the regular edition, and bought the CDs separately cause I'm awesome like that. I do have the combo packs of Nightwish's End of an Era, and Star One's Live On Earth.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: March 21, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »
I only have the DVD and the digital downloads of the mp3s. It would be cool if they re released it on Bly Ray.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: March 21, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »
I just ordered this one.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kamelot-One-cold-winters-night-2-CD-2-DVD-VERY-LIMITED-/161241204449?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item258ab986e1

That's the 'janky' one I ordered. Same seller. The CD and DVD's are fine, but the jacket/etc is digipack quality.  Though still a deal for 4 discs, wish the packaging was better.

See pics (not mine) here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=767.msg1781196#msg1781196

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: March 21, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
I don't really care about packaging.  The last 3 Blu Ray 3D's I bought were absolute shit packaging, which seems to be the norm now.  As long as the data quality is there...that's all that matters to me  :tup  Yeah $13.99 for all 4 discs.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: March 21, 2014, 11:13:13 AM »
I care about packaging, and wolfking, this looks awesome! I would totally buy this version.

It seems that's the one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Cold-Winters-Night-2dvd/dp/B000IAZPKC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395421907&sr=8-4&keywords=kamelot+one+cold+winter%27s+night

A bit expensive though.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: March 21, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: March 21, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
I care about packaging, and wolfking, this looks awesome! I would totally buy this version.

It seems that's the one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Cold-Winters-Night-2dvd/dp/B000IAZPKC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395421907&sr=8-4&keywords=kamelot+one+cold+winter%27s+night

A bit expensive though.

Wow...  that's like $50.  And the only difference is packaging??  :omg:  If the digital quality is the same... I'll keep what I got...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: March 21, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
That claims to be 2 DVD's only though, even though the title and picture seem to suggest otherwise.

Yeah, that's what confuses me too. I'm not ready to spend such money for something unconfirmed. If I know for sure it's the same version as wolfking's I'll consider buying it, but otherwise no way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: March 21, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
Well, I beleive I paid $60 Australian for mine, maybe $57-58.  Considering import cd's and dvd's are usually $30 each, I was fine with the price.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #592 on: March 22, 2014, 01:49:05 AM »
Does anybody know when they will release a new live recording? In 013 Tilburg last year they said they were recording (something for a documentary or something like that?). It was a very good concert, so I certainly hope we get to hear some of it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: March 22, 2014, 02:41:40 AM »
Does anybody know when they will release a new live recording? In 013 Tilburg last year they said they were recording (something for a documentary or something like that?). It was a very good concert, so I certainly hope we get to hear some of it.

Well, they've announced "a very special intimate" show in Haarlem, Netherlands at the end of August, so that could be it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: March 22, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »

Well, they've announced "a very special intimate" show in Haarlem, Netherlands at the end of August, so that could be it.

This is my belief as well, Thomas has said in many interviews he wanted to make another live DVD and that seems like the likely scenario.