Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 156218 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot
« Reply #665 on: March 21, 2015, 11:24:40 PM »
Cool, clips sound good!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #666 on: March 22, 2015, 03:19:54 AM »
Pretty  zzz clips. Oh well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #667 on: March 22, 2015, 04:48:05 AM »
Cool! Looking forward to this very much  ;D

Offline adace

« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2015, 04:49:37 AM »
Fantastic samples. Can't wait!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #669 on: March 23, 2015, 12:51:20 PM »
A mate of mine who has reviewed the album, tells me that it is the best Kamelot album ever and he has been a fan since the first album. Tommy is his own man and no Khan impersonations either. Can't wait.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: March 23, 2015, 12:57:39 PM »
A mate of mine who has reviewed the album, tells me that it is the best Kamelot album ever and he has been a fan since the first album. Tommy is his own man and no Khan impersonations either. Can't wait.

Cool, that sounds awesome.  I thought from the clips, the album and Tommy sounded like there was a lot of potential, but they are just clips so its hard to make anything of it.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: March 23, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »

The song teaser they released back when preorders opened up still sounds like Tommy was doing Khan impersonations to me.

"Insomnia" on the amazon.co.jp link still sounds very Khan-ish to me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #672 on: March 23, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
TommyKhan doesn't bother me. The guy from Black Fate is trying way harder to sound like Khan, and sometimes it's quite eerie how similar he sounds.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: March 23, 2015, 02:36:12 PM »
TommyKhan doesn't bother me. The guy from Black Fate is trying way harder to sound like Khan, and sometimes it's quite eerie how similar he sounds.

TommyKhan bothers me after hearing Tommy's natural range in Seventh Wonder.
  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:08:18 PM by Mindflux »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #674 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »

TommyKhan bothers me after hearing Tommy's natural range in Second Nature.

What is Second Nature? Another band?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: March 23, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »
What is Second Nature? Another band?

Aww hell. I was typing and talking to someone else at the same time.

Seventh Wonder.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #676 on: March 23, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »
Ah, I see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: March 23, 2015, 04:15:16 PM »
Wow I read that before and read it as seventh wonder the first time (before Zook questioned it).  The mind is an amazing thing since I had known what you meant even though I didn't even pick up the obviously wrong words.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #678 on: March 23, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
I was searching for possible guest appearances. Looking on Flying Colors' Wiki page and whatnot...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: March 23, 2015, 07:17:51 PM »
I was searching for possible guest appearances. Looking on Flying Colors' Wiki page and whatnot...

Lol. That woulda been cool.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #680 on: March 24, 2015, 02:49:20 AM »
Here is the actual review, you can find a decent translation
https://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=albums&id=15884

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: March 24, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »
Yeah, I definitely noticed some Khan impersonations in the samples. Not that it's a bad thing, I love how dark Tommy sounded on Silverthorn sometimes.

By the way, if you guys want to participate in upcoming Kamelot survivor, please vote in the poll I've created in Polls / Survivors section. ;)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline adace

« Reply #682 on: April 01, 2015, 01:24:08 AM »
"Veil of Elysium" is out to buy. Love it!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: April 01, 2015, 11:34:11 PM »
"Veil of Elysium" is out to buy. Love it!

Just had a listen myself and , although it sounds great ,the song to me was pretty average power metal. I'ma big fan of their classic few albums but haven't been too fussed about much from Poetry onward.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:45:02 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: April 02, 2015, 05:51:41 AM »
While Tommy is great, this single is a pretty much a standard Kamelot song but with vocal melodies that aren't as catchy.  I need more listens before I can say much more, but that is my initial feeling.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: April 02, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »
While Tommy is great, this single is a pretty much a standard Kamelot song but with vocal melodies that aren't as catchy.  I need more listens before I can say much more, but that is my initial feeling.

After three listens I think I agree with that. The song ranges from average to good in some moments. I like it, but I expect more from this album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: April 02, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »
Agree with Brent.  It was your standard Kamelot power metal.  The last album didn't do anything for me at all and this one could be heading in the same direction.  Seems like Tom's creativity is not what it use to be.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #687 on: April 10, 2015, 03:53:30 AM »
1.5 minute samples are up on Norwegian Itunes. They sound fantastic!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: April 14, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
Alright, so I've got the promo yesterday and managed to spin the album three times today while working. Be careful, slight spoilers below:

(beginning of spoilers)

I loved Silverthorn when it came out, and I still love it and spin it quite regularly; and after three listens to Haven I think it's weaker than Silverthorn. It's definitely darker and maybe heavier, like a mix between Poetry for the Poisoned and Silverthorn (whoever said the album is in the vein of The Black Halo is dead wrong, in my opinion). It has some great songs, some solid tracks, some mediocre tunes and even one or two numbers I want to skip already (for the record, I like every song on Silverthorn). My biggest problem with their previous album was the lack of good bridges, they mostly felt out of place with those weird vocal melodies and sometimes awkward vocal effects (like at 3:00 on Veil of Elysium lyric video, and that's not even a bridge. But you get the point, I hope.) Well, this didn't go away anywhere, most songs still have them, Insomnia is the good example.

I also don't agree that Tommy doesn't channeling Khan here at all, I think the amount of his Khan-ness is maybe a bit less than on Silverthorn. It's definitely not his SW singing except in a few sparse moments. In fact, if he was more melodic, though in a dark way, on Silverthorn, here his delivery is quite gritty sometimes, like he clenches his teeth in anger and singing. There are enough melodic parts as well though, and sometimes he softens his voice in an unexpected way (think Khan's delivery on So Long part of Poetry for the Poisoned song), which sounds quite great.

The other problem is the mix, though this may be the promo-files quality problem. In some heavier songs it's difficult to hear what Tommy is singing in the choruses due to quite loud instrumentation. Also, there are growls in two songs, which doesn't really help me enjoy them, though with Alissa White-Gluz I should've expected this, really. I really like how she sings one of the choruses clean, but the growls are just not for me.

Unexpectedly, my favourite song from the album so far isn't a ballad, because while both ballads on Haven are quite good, they're nowhere near the greatness of Sailorman's Hymn, Abandoned or Song for Jolee. My favourite song is actually the opener, Fallen Star. Great melodic power metal song with clean singing, great bridge and cool riffs. Also, Veil of Elysium is one of the better songs on the album, in my opinion.

Well, while I don't think the album lived up to my ridiculously high expectations, it could be the case I didn't give it enough chances for now. I'm going to spin it more times indeed, this could easily be a grower. So far my rankings would be:

The Black Halo > Epica > Karma > Silverthorn > The Fourth Legacy > Haven = Ghost Opera > Poetry for the Poisoned > the first three albums

(end of spoilers)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: April 14, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »
Well that is slightly dissapointing, but I lowered my expectations after Veil of Elysium came out.  That song while enjoyable is nothing to get me pumped and based on what you wrote, there isn't much to bring that excitement back.  I will still get it on release day and likely even enjoy it, I just don't think it will end up being as good as the top half of Kamelot albums.  I hope I am wrong though.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #690 on: April 14, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
Ruslan, save that wisdom for the review man..... :p

I'm not a huge Kamelot fan, but I did give the promos a spin, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Not quite as good as Silverthorn, but a fun album nonetheless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: April 14, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »
Weaker than Silverthorn?  That's me done.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #692 on: April 14, 2015, 03:51:02 PM »
How can you possibly make that judgement? Evermind loved Silverthorn, so if you didn't like it, it logically follows that your opinions and his are different.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: April 14, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »
I also loved Silverthorn, but if you didnt then maybe this album is for you!  Who knows, but Id say its definitely worth a listen to see.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: April 14, 2015, 04:22:41 PM »
How can you possibly make that judgement? Evermind loved Silverthorn, so if you didn't like it, it logically follows that your opinions and his are different.

Relax man, I'm still gonna purchase it out and form my own opinions.  I'm certainly not one to judge based on others.  That comment threw me a little because I disliked Silverthorn, that's all.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: April 14, 2015, 10:35:26 PM »
Ruslan, save that wisdom for the review man..... :p

Still got enough wisdom left for that. :p Besides, I need to spin it more; those were the first impressions only.

I also (finally) ordered the mediabook + pendant bundle that has recently popped up in Napalm Records store.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: April 15, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: April 19, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
Well they announced a 2nd US leg of the tour in the fall.  They are playing on a Saturday night about 20 minutes from my house!  I will be there and I will also see them next week in NYC!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: April 21, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: April 21, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
Glad they've released Insomnia, I quite like this track, and you also can hear that sound-effect-bridge problem I've told you about quite well, starts around 2:35.