Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 555095 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6580 on: July 09, 2022, 07:30:07 PM »

I have a feeling we will not see another Morsefest for a few years anyway.  I could see a scenario where NMB release a couple more albums, if they're outstanding albums (which they'll probably be), this could then stimulate a demand for another Morsefest - and at that point they'd find a way to make it happen.  That's what I'm predicting.

I think that is a likely scenario, with Morsefest being done as an every year thing, but maybe getting another one or two as a special event every few years.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6581 on: August 06, 2022, 05:45:04 PM »
Was there an Inner Circle release for July? With all this talk of the Whirlwind demo in the Transatlantic thread it just occurred to me. We got the newsletter but nothing else.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6582 on: August 06, 2022, 05:46:10 PM »

I have a feeling we will not see another Morsefest for a few years anyway.  I could see a scenario where NMB release a couple more albums, if they're outstanding albums (which they'll probably be), this could then stimulate a demand for another Morsefest - and at that point they'd find a way to make it happen.  That's what I'm predicting.

I think that is a likely scenario, with Morsefest being done as an every year thing, but maybe getting another one or two as a special event every few years.

I'm so glad I finally went this year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6583 on: August 06, 2022, 06:34:29 PM »
Was there an Inner Circle release for July? With all this talk of the Whirlwind demo in the Transatlantic thread it just occurred to me. We got the newsletter but nothing else.

I believe Neal said that a few of the guys played a private party gig back in July (wedding maybe?) that featured some stuff from Neal's various bands as well as some fun covers. They just needed a little bit longer to get the recording ready for release.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6584 on: August 06, 2022, 08:50:32 PM »

I'm so glad I finally went this year.

:hat :hat

Online Kram

« Reply #6585 on: August 07, 2022, 01:13:08 PM »

I believe Neal said that a few of the guys played a private party gig back in July (wedding maybe?) that featured some stuff from Neal's various bands as well as some fun covers. They just needed a little bit longer to get the recording ready for release.
I read that somewhere as well.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6586 on: August 08, 2022, 01:58:42 PM »

I could see this being the case. I think at this point, Neal will probably want to slow things down a bit. I could see him finishing up that concept album he's been working on this year, release it next year, then reconvene with NMB next year for a Fall 2023 album and 2024 Tour, so even if he wanted to do another Morsefest, I don't see one happening again until at LEAST Summer or Fall 2024.

Neal's last IC Newsletter definitely had a sort of melancholy feel to it in his statement of wanting to take a break and see where things go from here on out. I don't think he's close to retiring, but he's definitely not getting any younger. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I think NMB definitely have one more album in them, at least, with another big tour to follow. As stated before, Neal is currently 62, Randy is 60, Mike is 55, and Eric is a spry 37 (just a few months younger than me actually). I couldn't find Bill's age, but he's probably somewhere between 55 and 65 I think, maybe closer to Mike's age. At any rate, with Neal and Randy reaching their mid-60s in the years to come, I can definitely see them wanting to slow things down a bit, but I'd love to be surprised!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6587 on: August 08, 2022, 02:13:14 PM »
I talked with Bill Hubauer last weekend at Nick's wedding, and he indicated that the NMB would get together again some time after New Year's, if the plan holds.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6588 on: August 08, 2022, 02:18:44 PM »
I talked with Bill Hubauer last weekend at Nick's wedding, and he indicated that the NMB would get together again some time after New Year's, if the plan holds.

I figured as such. Neal's had a busy year so far, and between all of that and his IC message, he definitely deserves a few months off. It'll be a good time for the band members to write up some demos and have them ready for their next sessions anyway.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6589 on: August 08, 2022, 02:20:44 PM »
I can’t wait for the inevitable “Whoops! We wrote another double album!” announcement

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6590 on: August 08, 2022, 02:26:58 PM »
I can’t wait for the inevitable “Whoops! We wrote another double album!” announcement

Even better when they say they started the sessions saying they only wanted to make a single album and tried really hard but didn't want to leave any of the material on the cutting room floor. We'll get a 95-100 minute long album again.

But I would find it refreshing if they made an hour long album, one epic around 18-25 minutes, then 4 or 5 shorter songs, something akin to SB's V or Neal's own Momentum. Having a shorter album also means more space in the set list for older tunes to come back when they tour on it.

-Marc.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6591 on: August 08, 2022, 02:32:51 PM »
Yeah realistically I could see the next one being a shorter, single-disc album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6592 on: August 08, 2022, 06:12:20 PM »
I hope they go into the studio with no preconceived notions and just let it flow naturally, and whatever happens, happens.  Besides, it's been three years now since the band did a double concept album, so they are due.  :tup :tup

Online Kram

« Reply #6593 on: August 08, 2022, 06:19:43 PM »
For me, the more NMB material we get the better!  All 4 of their albums have been stellar!  So as far as I'm concerned, bring on another double album!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6594 on: August 09, 2022, 01:22:09 AM »
But I would find it refreshing if they made an hour long album, one epic around 18-25 minutes, then 4 or 5 shorter songs, something akin to SB's V or Neal's own Momentum.
They did do this with The Grand experiment. Unfortunately, it turned out not to be one of my favorites. I don't think the length nor the structure of the album will be of importance to me, though. As long as the songs are good, I'm in.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6595 on: August 09, 2022, 01:15:38 PM »
I mean, whatever they put out is fine with me.  They have a pretty high hit percentage with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6596 on: August 17, 2022, 09:07:21 AM »

JULY IC RELEASE JUST LANDED

This is the track list:

Eric: Bass and guitars
MP: Percussion, drums, bass
Neal: Lead vocals, guitars, bass, drums
Bill: Keys, bass
Melody Portnoy: Chorus and lead vocals
Judy Harrelson: chorus

---

Man, Kayla sung by Neal is not as good as with Casey on vocals.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 09:46:07 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6597 on: September 16, 2022, 11:03:42 PM »
Six days ago, Neal's solo album Momentum celebrated its 10th anniversary!

I haven't heard this one in awhile so I may give it a spin this weekend. I remember liking it when it came out, and it actually features players who would go on to form the Neal Morse Band. What ever happened to Adson anyway?

I was just reminded that it turned 10 from a Facebook memory that I had where I showed off receiving my signed copy of the album (one of the few I have that features signatures from Neal, Mike AND Randy all together).

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6598 on: September 17, 2022, 12:26:18 PM »
That was my first solo album by Neal. I immediately loved the epic and the title track, but the rest grew on me over the years. It's a pretty great album overall. One of his best, actually, up there with Testimony 2, Sola scriptura and the debut.

Online Kram

« Reply #6599 on: September 23, 2022, 08:24:51 PM »
I guess I’ll put this here. Sick ass cover of Bohemian Rhapsody by Eric Gillette. Dude’s got some serious talent.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaLgKBPxVlw

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6600 on: September 23, 2022, 09:20:56 PM »
I guess I’ll put this here. Sick ass cover of Bohemian Rhapsody by Eric Gillette. Dude’s got some serious talent.

Another notch on his masterful musician belt! :hefdaddy

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6601 on: September 24, 2022, 05:26:14 PM »

Another notch on his masterful musician belt! :hefdaddy

Guy has a monster of talent  :hefdaddy  :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6602 on: September 24, 2022, 05:47:10 PM »
I posted that link on FB yesterday and only got one like..lol!

But if I would post something like a picture of a half eaten meal at a restaurant, I will become a fb celebrity with over a hundred likes. .
Sign of the times.. 🤪

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6603 on: September 27, 2022, 08:17:47 AM »
RADIANT RECORDS PROUDLY PRESENTS... RADIANT SCHOOL FEBRUARY 2023: A 5 DAY MASTERCLASS WITH NEAL MORSE
Would you like to spend a week learning music composition, arranging, and audio recording with NEAL MORSE? The Radiant School is your opportunity to do just that!

Neal says: "We haven’t been able to do an “in-person” Radiant School since 2019 - so I am super excited to announce we are running one in February 2023!!! It's always a great musical adventure, as well as chance to get to know some very talented people. An accredited engineer will be with us sharing their expertise, and we are keeping the class to 10 students - and I hope you’re one of them!"

Each student will have a small space to set up their music workstations. Neal will demonstrate an example of how he composes and records. Then he will be listening to the participants and giving ideas as they compose and work together. Students will take turns coming into the tracking room with Neal and working on their music. Then we will spend some time recording some of the best music that is written. This will be determined by Neal. On the last day we will mix as much of the music as we can. (You are free to use any recordings from this class as you wish.)

The Masterclass is running on February 6-10, 2023.

All the details are available here:

https://www.nealmorse.com/product/radiant-school-february-2023/

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6604 on: November 03, 2022, 10:29:37 AM »
Vinyl Lovers… check out the Neal Morse related vinyl albums we have available at the Radiant store. Some titles are down to the final few copies and we don’t anticipate further pressings - so grab them while you can! https://www.nealmorse.com/product-category/vinyl/

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6605 on: November 08, 2022, 11:52:07 AM »
From Neal's Inner Circle newsletter, regarding the release of Morsefest 2020:

MORSEFEST 2020!
Many of you have asked if this was going to be available, as you are collectors and want a matching set. As Mike Portnoy said to me, "You know, people are going to have Morsefest 2019 and they're going to have Morsefest 2021, and ultimately Morsefest 2022... what about 2020?! We can't have a missing space!"

I know that we had said that we would not digitally release it on Blu-ray or anything like that, but hopefully enough time has passed and people will really want it.

Thad and Scott have done a wonderful new edit and Jerry Guidroz has mixed this thing properly and you're going to be amazed at how great this thing sounds! I was listening to the Cover to Cover night and it is an absolute gas! "Live and Let Die" or "25 or 6 to 4" with Eric Gillette singing... oh my god, it's amazing! "Starless" is incredible, as well.

Anyway, that will be coming out fairly soon. Hopefully we're going to bundle it with the Transatlantic: Live in Paris at a special price, only on the Radiant site, so that'll be coming up in the near future.

I'm glad they're looking into finally releasing it!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6606 on: November 08, 2022, 12:44:45 PM »
What a lame way to do it, though.  You can only get it in a bundle with the TA Paris show (that I had zero intention of buying because Morsefest 2022 is all I will need from this last TA tour)?  That is a terrible way to do it.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6607 on: November 08, 2022, 02:50:35 PM »
EW....only too radiant again?

the curse of the collector i said i wasn't going to buy the last two morsefests from there....i broke and did it :lol

now this......i hate it. and as a fucking bundle..... dumb.

sigh but i'm going do it.......i'm a shill.

on another note.....funny this came up i've been REALLY opening up to the Absolute Universe.  i liked it at first Really love it now.  ALL versions have their place with me.  it's overtaken the Whirlwind as my number 2 Transatlantic album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6608 on: November 08, 2022, 03:09:59 PM »
Only through Radiant?

Better get your order in now, so you receive it by...well...who really knows?

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6609 on: November 08, 2022, 03:12:22 PM »
Only through Radiant?

Better get your order in now, so you receive it by...well...who really knows?

right, lol

god how i wish they'd just let me buy it through amazon again.  so much less stress.

as a fan it really tests me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6610 on: November 10, 2022, 09:43:27 AM »
And once again, Neal is going to lose my business for something I would like to have.  Oh well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6611 on: November 10, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »
I was going to buy TA Live in Paris anyway, so I'll probably grab it as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6612 on: November 10, 2022, 03:48:58 PM »
And once again, Neal is going to lose my business for something I would like to have.  Oh well.

I honestly think Neal is completely oblivious to how terrible the customer service is at Radiant.  My guess is he makes a nice chunk of money every year from Radiant thanks to the fans who accept and make excuses for the bad service, but I can't help but wonder how many sales he has lost over the years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6613 on: November 10, 2022, 04:21:04 PM »

I honestly think Neal is completely oblivious to how terrible the customer service is at Radiant.  My guess is he makes a nice chunk of money every year from Radiant thanks to the fans who accept and make excuses for the bad service, but I can't help but wonder how many sales he has lost over the years.

I know.  I think a lot of that is probably true.  For a lot of different reasons, I was really hoping I would get a chance to talk to Mike Portnoy after the JP show earlier this week.  If it happened, and the conversation was going well and there was time to work it in, I wanted to try to mention this to him and get him to understand that this is a real thing and see if he could maybe mention it to Neal.  No such luck on getting to talk to him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6614 on: November 11, 2022, 06:22:07 AM »
The thing is, I get Neal using Radiant.  It is tougher now than ever nowadays for artists to make a living doing just music, and even tougher for someone as underground as Neal, who has found a niche that supports him really well.  I just think he deserves better than to have such poor customer service representing him.