Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 545673 times)

Offline Willthescout7

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6650 on: December 23, 2022, 03:28:09 AM »
I haven't been having any problems with the website.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #6651 on: December 23, 2022, 09:42:06 AM »
The link worked fine for me. They just sent another email with the same info so maybe it’ll work now for those it didn’t work for.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6652 on: January 11, 2023, 01:00:31 PM »
Got the email that my Morsefest 2020 lockdown set shipped to my old address. I moved after placing the order back in November and emailed them a few days back asking to ship to the new address. So not sure what is going to happen now. I have the tracking number, so maybe I'll stop by my old place and see what they say.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6653 on: January 11, 2023, 03:28:04 PM »
Got the email that my Morsefest 2020 lockdown set shipped to my old address. I moved after placing the order back in November and emailed them a few days back asking to ship to the new address. So not sure what is going to happen now. I have the tracking number, so maybe I'll stop by my old place and see what they say.

That happened to me last year with my Grateful Dead "Dave's Picks" subscription. They were wonderful, and replaced the CD set without question (even though I was able to get the delivery, since the new owners of the house I sold were kind enough to reach out through our real estate agents). Let's hope Radiant is the same way. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6654 on: January 13, 2023, 02:23:38 PM »
MORSEFEST 2023!
We have decided that we are going to do a Morsefest 2023! We are going to do Testimony, because it's the 20th anniversary of Testimony, AND Testimony 2, as well as other various beauties.

We are (barring anything unforeseen)... this is kind of a big announcement... are you ready? We are currently hoping to do a Morsefest 2023 in US on August 11-12 and a Morsefest in Europe on August 18-19.

We will be doing the US one at the new church building which is smaller, so it will be more intimate, but of course, we will be filming. We haven't decided whether or not we will be live-streaming yet. We will save that decision for a little later. But we're definitely going to be doing Morsefest! I've got everybody cleared and I'll give you more information about the personnel as it comes for sure, but it's looking that way! There will be not one but TWO Morsefests in 2023! And you heard it here absolutely first!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6655 on: January 13, 2023, 03:14:12 PM »
MORSEFEST 2023!
We have decided that we are going to do a Morsefest 2023! We are going to do Testimony, because it's the 20th anniversary of Testimony, AND Testimony 2, as well as other various beauties.

We are (barring anything unforeseen)... this is kind of a big announcement... are you ready? We are currently hoping to do a Morsefest 2023 in US on August 11-12 and a Morsefest in Europe on August 18-19.

We will be doing the US one at the new church building which is smaller, so it will be more intimate, but of course, we will be filming. We haven't decided whether or not we will be live-streaming yet. We will save that decision for a little later. But we're definitely going to be doing Morsefest! I've got everybody cleared and I'll give you more information about the personnel as it comes for sure, but it's looking that way! There will be not one but TWO Morsefests in 2023! And you heard it here absolutely first!

Just saw that, and that's wild! Just when we thought Morsefest 2022 might have been the last one, he comes back with a Testimony 1 & 2 weekend! And on two continents! I wonder which country/city they'll perform in. My best guess? Tilburg at the 013, cuz Neal ALWAYS goes there.

As far as the show itself, I can't say I'm TOO excited, considering how many complete live versions of both Testimony and Testimony 2 have been performed/released, so hopefully they make it extra special this time around. If it's mostly the same as it was in 2014 (Testimony) and 2017 (Testimony 2), then I don't mind if we don't get any officially released audio/video from Morsefest 2023.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6656 on: January 13, 2023, 03:16:55 PM »
MORSEFEST 2023!

:omg: Nice to hear, although like others have said, not anything "new"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6657 on: January 13, 2023, 08:04:26 PM »
I can't say I am surprised.  Will be interesting to see how small and intimate this new church is. The one it's always been at didn't really look or feel like a normal church, so hopefully the new one is similar. Or maybe I am just used to the Catholic churches with uncomfortable wood pews and crosses and pics of Mary everywhere.  :lol :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #6658 on: January 13, 2023, 08:27:20 PM »
Got my signed copy of the Lockdown Morsefest BR/CD today. Current owners of the old house were kind enough to keep it aside for me.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6659 on: January 13, 2023, 10:20:52 PM »
Alain from the latest newsletter

THE JOSEPH ALBUM!
Big news! As I was working on this thing... it is so long... it is such a beast... it is a real epic and I started adding more things of course. Imagine that!

I woke up one morning thinking, you know, I don't like the way this one transition goes... maybe that piece should stop there and there should be a choral section that comes in. So I spent a whole day writing a choral section that isn't very long but it's pretty involved and has some pretty beautiful chords. I was trying to write some kind of modern classical piece (the kind that I really enjoy these days).

Things like that started happening and I was lengthening solos and whatnot and I tried to listen to the whole thing down and it was just too much. I think it might be like a meal that has too many steaks, if you're a meat-eater anyway. I decided it's going to be better in two sections. I've talked to the label and they've agreed: we're going to have a Joseph: Part One and a Joseph: Part Two! What we are shooting for is Joseph: Part One to come out in August of this year, and Joseph: Part Two to come out in the early part of the coming year.

So, this is the big news about that project. I have finished guitars, bass, drums, and most of the organ on the demos. Also, Talon David came over yesterday and sang lead vocal on the Potiphar's wife section. I told her I was sorry she didn't get as nice a role as on JCE, but she was cool with it. I didn't know if she was going to be kind of disappointed, but she was fine with it and she killed the song and some other short bits. It was a real joy to see her. Nathan Martin engineered.

It's good to be with other humans every now and then. I discover that over and over (laughing!)

Anyway, that's coming along well and I am deep in that but also deep in other stuff like...

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6660 on: January 13, 2023, 11:16:13 PM »
Alain from the latest newsletter

THE JOSEPH ALBUM!
Big news! As I was working on this thing... it is so long... it is such a beast... it is a real epic and I started adding more things of course. Imagine that!

I woke up one morning thinking, you know, I don't like the way this one transition goes... maybe that piece should stop there and there should be a choral section that comes in. So I spent a whole day writing a choral section that isn't very long but it's pretty involved and has some pretty beautiful chords. I was trying to write some kind of modern classical piece (the kind that I really enjoy these days).

Things like that started happening and I was lengthening solos and whatnot and I tried to listen to the whole thing down and it was just too much. I think it might be like a meal that has too many steaks, if you're a meat-eater anyway. I decided it's going to be better in two sections. I've talked to the label and they've agreed: we're going to have a Joseph: Part One and a Joseph: Part Two! What we are shooting for is Joseph: Part One to come out in August of this year, and Joseph: Part Two to come out in the early part of the coming year.

So, this is the big news about that project. I have finished guitars, bass, drums, and most of the organ on the demos. Also, Talon David came over yesterday and sang lead vocal on the Potiphar's wife section. I told her I was sorry she didn't get as nice a role as on JCE, but she was cool with it. I didn't know if she was going to be kind of disappointed, but she was fine with it and she killed the song and some other short bits. It was a real joy to see her. Nathan Martin engineered.

It's good to be with other humans every now and then. I discover that over and over (laughing!)

Anyway, that's coming along well, and I am deep in that but also deep in other stuff like...
:omg: :huh: :corn

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6661 on: January 14, 2023, 05:00:23 AM »
Hahaha

….like new DMJ

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6662 on: January 14, 2023, 05:11:55 AM »
Yeah, as far as I can tell his current projects are the Joseph albums, new D'Virgilio Morse & Jennings, and the stage version of God's Smuggler. Add in whatever input is needed from him on live releases. TA's Live @ Paris is out soon, but then there's Morsefest 2022 and I'm assuming there's also a NMB release from their tour in the works at some point.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6663 on: January 14, 2023, 06:49:27 AM »
Weren't they supposed to start working on a new NMB album soon? Does Neal ever sleep? :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6664 on: January 14, 2023, 08:21:42 AM »
I don't think we've had any NMB news since the end of their tour.  Neal even said in his newsletter yesterday that he will let us know the personnel for this year's Morsefest when the time is right (or something to that effect), which makes me wonder if the NMB isn't going to be the main band for Morsefest again this year (which they almost always are except when it's a TA, SB or FC thing).  Maybe they are just taking a year off, but for Neal to have so many balls in the air and none of them seemingly sticking to the NMB brand seems a bit curious.  Or maybe they are just keeping future plans on the lowdown.  I would hate to see the band as is no longer exist.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6665 on: January 14, 2023, 10:19:22 AM »
Wow, a Neal Morse two parter! That's excellent, I'm really looking forward to it. Sola gratia was a nice listen but it didn't have much staying power, so hopefully this one is a bit more memorable.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6666 on: January 15, 2023, 03:29:07 PM »
I don't think we've had any NMB news since the end of their tour.  Neal even said in his newsletter yesterday that he will let us know the personnel for this year's Morsefest when the time is right (or something to that effect), which makes me wonder if the NMB isn't going to be the main band for Morsefest again this year (which they almost always are except when it's a TA, SB or FC thing).  Maybe they are just taking a year off, but for Neal to have so many balls in the air and none of them seemingly sticking to the NMB brand seems a bit curious.  Or maybe they are just keeping future plans on the lowdown.  I would hate to see the band as is no longer exist.
I know I read somewhere (probably on here), that somebody ran into Bill Hubauer last year and he sated they were to begin writing a new album at the beginning of this year - but maybe that plan changed.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6667 on: January 19, 2023, 10:33:46 AM »
Morsefest Europe 2023!

We are looking for a suitable venue for a European Morsefest this year.  Do you know somewhere?

What are we looking for:

- Central Europe - Sorry U.K. and Ireland… but we’re trying to find somewhere that’s the most accessible for most people.

- Needs to be a venue / theater / church with sound and lights that can accommodate a minimum of 400 people

- The venue needs to have additional halls / rooms so we can accommodtate band / crew. And it needs to have catering facilities. 

- Somewhere that has access to good accommodation nearby would be ideal.

Are you a venue owner or have a contact in one that would fit the bill? If so send details, including contact details to morsefestinfo<a>radiantrecords<dot>com

Soooo... I guess the details haven't been finalized yet. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6668 on: January 19, 2023, 10:54:11 AM »
I know I read somewhere (probably on here), that somebody ran into Bill Hubauer last year and he sated they were to begin writing a new album at the beginning of this year - but maybe that plan changed.
It was me.  I talked to him at Nick's wedding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6669 on: January 19, 2023, 11:13:39 AM »
It was me.  I talked to him at Nick's wedding.
:tup  Hopefully they still write a new album this year.  Love me some NMB!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6670 on: January 19, 2023, 11:52:17 AM »
Morsefest Europe 2023!

We are looking for a suitable venue for a European Morsefest this year.  Do you know somewhere?

What are we looking for:

- Central Europe - Sorry U.K. and Ireland… but we’re trying to find somewhere that’s the most accessible for most people.

- Needs to be a venue / theater / church with sound and lights that can accommodate a minimum of 400 people

- The venue needs to have additional halls / rooms so we can accommodtate band / crew. And it needs to have catering facilities. 

Are you a venue owner or have a contact in one that would fit the bill? If so send details, including contact details to morsefestinfo<a>radiantrecords<dot>com

-Marc.

I wish that, while they're at it, they also change the setlist and play something else :P There's already two full live releases for each Testimony album, and that's including previous Morsefest editions.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6671 on: January 19, 2023, 12:07:36 PM »
Morsefest Europe 2023!

What are we looking for:

-Marc.

I wish that, while they're at it, they also change the setlist and play something else :P There's already two full live releases for each Testimony album, and that's including previous Morsefest editions.

Yeaaaah, that's not TERRIBLY exciting, so I wonder if he'll pull out some rarer stuff to pad out the nights a bit more (looking at "Seeds Of Gold", "Supernatural" and "Absolute Beginner").

-Marc.

Offline jmarkwilson

« Reply #6672 on: January 21, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
Got my Morsefest 2020 yesterday. Took 6 days from the US to the Uk. Got a signed copy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6673 on: January 21, 2023, 11:01:18 AM »
Got my Morsefest 2020 yesterday. Took 6 days from the US to the Uk. Got a signed copy.

Nice!  :tup :tup

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6674 on: January 23, 2023, 09:16:13 AM »
and the stage version of God's Smuggler.

What's that? Never heard of it...
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6675 on: January 23, 2023, 09:20:01 AM »
and the stage version of God's Smuggler.

What's that? Never heard of it...

I wonder if liking One and/or ? depends on when you discovered Neal and his music. Personally, I discovered him in 2005, just before ? came out, so it was his first new album for me after I became a fan. I *really* enjoyed it, especially with all the guest musicians on it. I also really enjoyed One quite a bit, even with the expanded tracklist to make it an 11-track, 920-minute album. It was his latest album when I became a fan, so I spun the heck out of it and really got into One.

Also, Neal just released his December IC Newsletter and he brings up his God's Smuggler musical some more, saying that his recent watch of Tick, Tick... Boom! may have influenced his writing a bit. Other than that, he doesn't give many more details, but at this point, he probably has well over 20 songs written at various stages of completion. I think he'll do another JTCE-styled album, and at this point, that means he's written at least three different musicals (the other being the aforementioned Hitman, which was released via the Inner Circle in a demo format). With regards to "fitting his work in a neat box", I think we can safely put his musicals in a separate category apart from solo prog, NMB, worship, and singer-songwriter stuff, as well as the more obvious distinctions with his other bands (SB, TA, and FC). He definitely has a  lot of avenues for musical output, and as others have said above, I think he'll keep doing this until he's physically and/or mentally unable to write/record/perform music.

-Marc.

It's a new musical album based on the book of the same name.

-Marc.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6676 on: January 23, 2023, 09:33:35 AM »
Ah, okay. Thank you, Marc!  :tup

I quit the IC a few years ago (after being a member from the beginning) cause I simply didn't find the time to listen to all that music. Recently got the live DVD of Jesus Christ, the Exorcist (after owning the album on vinyl - still have to watch the DVD), and also know Hitman.

This dude is a constant source of very enjoyable music. If I'd have to name my fav songwriter, I'd be him.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #6677 on: January 24, 2023, 03:49:02 AM »
Gave Sola Gratia another spin last night, and I don't know why, but it hit different. It just clicked. The ending of the made me tear up a bit, which is very strange. Definitely better than I remembered!

Online faizoff

« Reply #6678 on: January 28, 2023, 10:01:56 PM »
Watching The Great Nothing on the Lockdown 2020 Morsefest is so much fun. I had no clue this song was performed and now there's a kick ass live recording of it with NDV on drums just killing it along with his vocals.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6679 on: January 29, 2023, 05:57:34 AM »
Watching The Great Nothing on the Lockdown 2020 Morsefest is so much fun. I had no clue this song was performed and now there's a kick ass live recording of it with NDV on drums just killing it along with his vocals.

It was performed in 2018, but inexplicably left off that year's Morsefest release, something that seems to make zero sense, to borrow a phrase from a NMB song, but when it comes to business, I stopped trying to figure out why Neal does certain things a certain way years ago.  :lol :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #6680 on: January 29, 2023, 07:49:03 PM »
2018 Morsefest was the Exorcist musical right? Was anything officially released from that year's Morsefest? Not counting anything in the Inner Circle as I'm not a member.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6681 on: January 29, 2023, 08:48:08 PM »
2018 Morsefest was the Exorcist musical right? Was anything officially released from that year's Morsefest? Not counting anything in the Inner Circle as I'm not a member.

https://www.discogs.com/master/1868322-Neal-Morse-Jesus-Christ-The-Exorcist-Live-At-Morsefest-2018

-Marc.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6682 on: January 29, 2023, 09:14:15 PM »
Ok cool thanks, I'm guessing this was the only one that MP missed.

Edit: there was also the 2016 one with Spock's Beard with no MP.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 09:36:40 PM by faizoff »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6683 on: January 30, 2023, 07:40:32 AM »
I just listened to the lockdown set over the weekend.   SO... Baker Street is one of my favorite songs of all time. EVER.   I've loved it since I was a kid hearing it on AM radio when I'd listen at night.   I always thought it was about someone who kept grabbing for the ring, but could never quite get it.  It ends hopeful, but in that bleak way that people who are destined for less than greatness are always sort of eternally hopeful.

Well, Neal Morse makes that friggin' song his own on that set.  Holy transformation, Batman.  If I didn't know better, I'd think that he wrote it as a sort of synopsis of the first Testimony record (and maybe part of the second too).  So good.  So uplifting.  So transformative.   

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6684 on: January 30, 2023, 11:46:45 AM »
Yeah, the covers set was a lot of fun, I went through the Blu Ray when it first arrived
Photobucket sucks.