Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554915 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4865 on: November 11, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »
Similitude AND The Great Adventure are both 5 Star albums IMO.  Having said that, I'm interested to see where they go with the next one, and I hope it's a bit of a different direction.  I think a third continuation of the same story would be too much.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4866 on: November 11, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »
Such an awesome album. And yeah, Eric Gillette is a beast on the guitar.

I recall bits and pieces, like the City of Destruction chorus, but this is basically all new to me, pretty much.
The flow is excellent. I need to buy this one on CD asap though, I'm listening on Neal's Waterfall app, and there is a super quick pause between tracks. Kind of annoying.

Oh Neal  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4867 on: November 12, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »
I don’t think I ever made it all the way through Similitude. It was kind of my last ditch “maybe I’ll finally like this Neal Morse prog album the way I used to like Spock’s Beard/Transatlantic” effort (MP’s hype probably got me to bite). I do like Ways of a Fool (which was what convinced me to buy the album but that’s Bill’s composition).  I just can’t get past the style Neal has adopted since he was in SB (not the religious aspect mind you, that doesn’t bother me).

I don’t know how to describe it really, but it’s just sort of tedious to me now to listen to his prog epics. I do like Flying Colors, but he’s minimized there, at least in the over the top prog aspect. TA has been ok as well (The Whirlwind at least, Kaleidoscope not so much), but again there’s lots of input from others there.

Like I said before, I thought Songs from November was great. More of a songwriter’s album and had more of the warmth and charm of Spock’s Beard. I’ll always have a high regard for Neal as a person and musician, I just don’t have much interest in his musical output these days. Holding out hopes for the next Transatlantic though.

Check out Life And Times. Close to Songs From November, but maybe a little more stripped down. It's one of my favorite Neal releases.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online HOF

« Reply #4868 on: November 12, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
I don’t think I ever made it all the way through Similitude. It was kind of my last ditch “maybe I’ll finally like this Neal Morse prog album the way I used to like Spock’s Beard/Transatlantic” effort (MP’s hype probably got me to bite). I do like Ways of a Fool (which was what convinced me to buy the album but that’s Bill’s composition).  I just can’t get past the style Neal has adopted since he was in SB (not the religious aspect mind you, that doesn’t bother me).

I don’t know how to describe it really, but it’s just sort of tedious to me now to listen to his prog epics. I do like Flying Colors, but he’s minimized there, at least in the over the top prog aspect. TA has been ok as well (The Whirlwind at least, Kaleidoscope not so much), but again there’s lots of input from others there.

Like I said before, I thought Songs from November was great. More of a songwriter’s album and had more of the warmth and charm of Spock’s Beard. I’ll always have a high regard for Neal as a person and musician, I just don’t have much interest in his musical output these days. Holding out hopes for the next Transatlantic though.

Check out Life And Times. Close to Songs From November, but maybe a little more stripped down. It's one of my favorite Neal releases.

I somehow forgot about Life and Times. I do still need to check that out.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4869 on: November 12, 2020, 08:03:49 AM »
That's a nice one too. A couple of fine songs there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #4870 on: November 12, 2020, 08:30:43 AM »
I'm just listening to Life and times. It's one of the best albums to relax to I've ever heard.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4871 on: November 12, 2020, 03:18:06 PM »

When Neal first left Spock's Beard I had the pleasure of sitting about 6' from Eric Gillette at one of Neal's first concerts touring the Testimony album.  I was close enough to him that he dripped sweat on me a few times.  He really is an incredible player.  I don't think he hit one bum note all night. 

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4872 on: November 12, 2020, 05:18:49 PM »
Random thought after just hearing "Weathering Sky" on the way home from the store.   Years ago I was listening to this and thought it kind of sounded like the song could be a commercial for a new brand of Vodka called "Weathering Sky".   I can't unhear it and I think of it every time I hear the song from there on after.  Seriously though, it checks out.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4873 on: November 12, 2020, 05:42:48 PM »

I recall bits and pieces, like the City of Destruction chorus, but this is basically all new to me, pretty much.
The flow is excellent. I need to buy this one on CD asap though, I'm listening on Neal's Waterfall app, and there is a super quick pause between tracks. Kind of annoying.

Oh Neal  :lol

Other albums on there with between track segues was seamless, like on "?". Wasn't happy with that.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4874 on: November 12, 2020, 06:03:25 PM »
Giving Life & Times a listen for the first time. I like it, maybe more than Songs For November.

Offline 425

« Reply #4875 on: November 12, 2020, 06:10:57 PM »

When Neal first left Spock's Beard I had the pleasure of sitting about 6' from Eric Gillette at one of Neal's first concerts touring the Testimony album.  I was close enough to him that he dripped sweat on me a few times.  He really is an incredible player.  I don't think he hit one bum note all night.

Are you sure? He would have only been about 19 at that time, and I can't find anything about him playing with Neal before 2012.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4876 on: November 12, 2020, 09:18:09 PM »

Are you sure? He would have only been about 19 at that time, and I can't find anything about him playing with Neal before 2012.

Maybe he is confusing Eric Gillette for Eric Brenton, who played guitar, violin, pedal steel guitar, mandolin, and sang vocals on that 2003 Testimony Tour.

Otherwise, Eric didn't even MEET Neal until the "Once In A Lifetime" auditions in April 2012. His first performance with Neal was doing some backing vocals for the Momentum album, before going on tour with Neal, Randy, Mike, Bill, and Adson.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4877 on: November 13, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »
I don't care much for the first Flying Colors album, but the closer Infinite Fire is great. Why wasn't the whole album like this?  :huh:

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4878 on: November 14, 2020, 05:49:22 AM »
Because the album/band overall was meant to go in much more of a pop direction. Infinite Fire is the one time they really let their prog flag fly.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4879 on: November 14, 2020, 08:19:45 AM »
Yeah, they brought more of the prog on the next two albums, but the Flying Colors debut album was definitely meant to be more in the poppy/catchy direction with not much emphasis on the prog.  Infinite Fire definitely is a killer song, though!

Looks like much of the fanbase has a similar feel for Sola Gratia that I do: it's good, but not great, and too much "more of the same" from Neal.  I do think songs like Overflow, Never Change and Seemingly Sincere are all a bit different for Neal, and not coincidentally those feel the standouts. 

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4880 on: November 14, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
I only like Second Nature.  was never fond of the debut.  and honestly third Degree was awful.

too bad cause the band does have potential

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4881 on: November 14, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »
I find the debut very forced and trying to play a style that these guys are not known for, and was outdated by the time they recorded. No strong hooks imo, outside of the opener and closer. If the album was more like Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire, that album would have probably been more successful.

Listening to Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure for the first time, almost done with the 2nd disc.This is really, really good. A great follow up to Similitude of a Dream and plenty of original material on its own. I'm inclined to say this tops Similitude. Neal Morse Band has put out nothing but strong material, especially SoaD->TGA.

Online HOF

« Reply #4882 on: November 14, 2020, 10:31:30 AM »
I find the debut very forced and trying to play a style that these guys are not known for, and was outdated by the time they recorded. No strong hooks imo, outside of the opener and closer. If the album was more like Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire, that album would have probably been more successful.

I disagree that they were playing outside a style they are known for. Casey obviously comes from a more mainstream background. But Neal Morse has always written shorter, poppier songs as well as prog epics. It’s something I love about those old Spock’s Beard albums, and one of the reasons I like Flying Colors better than most of his output since leaving that band. Anyway, I think Kayla and The Storm are pretty good as far as songs with hooks, and then a song like Better Than Walking Away could have been on an early SB album for sure. That said, I do think Infinite Fire and Blue Ocean are examples of the best of Neal’s proggier side as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4883 on: November 14, 2020, 10:50:38 AM »
I would also ask, what is wrong with playing outside of your normal style or ones for which you are known?  Considering Neal Morse in particular is often accused of not breaking out of his normal style enough, I, for one, found it refreshing to hear him doing stuff that was a little different from his usual material.  Sure, he has done a lot of catchy songs that could be deemed as pop in certain circles, but nothing quite like the catchy songs we got on the FC debut.

As for The Great Adventure, I like it a lot, but it still doesn't touch Similitude, IMO. :biggrin:

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4884 on: November 14, 2020, 11:01:46 AM »
I would also ask, what is wrong with playing outside of your normal style or ones for which you are known?  Considering Neal Morse in particular is often accused of not breaking out of his normal style enough, I, for one, found it refreshing to hear him doing stuff that was a little different from his usual material.  Sure, he has done a lot of catchy songs that could be deemed as pop in certain circles, but nothing quite like the catchy songs we got on the FC debut.

As for The Great Adventure, I like it a lot, but it still doesn't touch Similitude, IMO. :biggrin:

i still don't get the drooling over TGA.  it's good i'm not saying it isn't but it's over reliance on the Love That Never Dies theme brings it down several notches for me.

Online HOF

« Reply #4885 on: November 14, 2020, 11:04:13 AM »

I’d add that my favorite FC song is probably A Place In Your World, which I think is almost a perfect blend or prog and pop. That’s really the style of song I’m most interested in hearing by a band like Flying Colors.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4886 on: November 14, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »

i still don't get the drooling over TGA.  it's good i'm not saying it isn't but it's over reliance on the Love That Never Dies theme brings it down several notches for me.

Agreed.  And while I get that some prefer TGA, looking at different sites and whatnot with ratings and such, Similitude is definitely the higher regarded album by the fanbase as a whole, which is correct ;), so we can all breathe easier, hehe.

I’d add that my favorite FC song is probably A Place In Your World, which I think is almost a perfect blend or prog and pop. That’s really the style of song I’m most interested in hearing by a band like Flying Colors.

Oddly, that has become one of my least favorite FC songs. :lol  Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I just like most of the others MORE.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4887 on: November 14, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »
I think Flying Colors' debut is the only really excellent record in all MP production since he left DT. Not that all other works are bad. There are horrible records (like SoA's debut) and there are good records (the rest of FC's albums, Winery Dogs in a certain sense, works with Neal Morse).

But the only one that I really think is excellent is the FC debut.
Unlike the rest of humanity, I'm not that much of a fan of NMB albums.

Online HOF

« Reply #4888 on: November 14, 2020, 11:27:57 AM »
I think Flying Colors' debut is the only really excellent record in all MP production since he left DT. Not that all other works are bad. There are horrible records (like SoA's debut) and there are good records (the rest of FC's albums, Winery Dogs in a certain sense, works with Neal Morse).

I love both of The Winery Dog albums, but I’m a big fan of Mr. Big too, so those were right up my alley.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4889 on: November 14, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »

I love both of The Winery Dog albums, but I’m a big fan of Mr. Big too, so those were right up my alley.

I've never been a big fan of bands like that. I like it, but that's it.
I think if I were a huge fan of this style, Winery Dogs would go up a lot in my concept.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4890 on: November 14, 2020, 12:49:04 PM »
I would also ask, what is wrong with playing outside of your normal style or ones for which you are known?  Considering Neal Morse in particular is often accused of not breaking out of his normal style enough, I, for one, found it refreshing to hear him doing stuff that was a little different from his usual material.

I have no problem with an artist playing outside their 'normal' style, trying something different, or artists who have diverse catalogs; doesn't mean I have to like everything they do.

It still seemed stronger than some of Neal's own solo albums, even the newest Sola Gratia.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4891 on: November 14, 2020, 03:30:24 PM »
Yeah, I would definitely take The Great Adventure over Sola Gratia, The Exorcist, Lifeline and Momentum (when looking at Neal's solo prog albums), but not over One, ? or Testimony 2.  Would be a close call with both the original Testimony and Sola Scriptura.

Offline 425

« Reply #4892 on: November 14, 2020, 09:38:51 PM »
The Great Adventure is my favorite non-Transatlantic Morse album. I think it's more focused than Similitude, which meanders just a little bit on the first disc. I don't mind the repetition of the Love That Never Dies theme.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4893 on: November 15, 2020, 06:30:59 AM »
Listening to the 2nd Flying Colors, it sounds a lot better to me so far, I'm about halfway through.

Yeah, I would definitely take The Great Adventure over Sola Gratia, The Exorcist, Lifeline and Momentum (when looking at Neal's solo prog albums), but not over One, ? or Testimony 2.  Would be a close call with both the original Testimony and Sola Scriptura.

I've come to realize that my favorite run of Neal albums is Testimony, One, ?, and Sola Scriptura. Just one knock out album after another, a million great melodies I get stuck in my head.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4894 on: November 15, 2020, 07:33:31 AM »
The Great Adventure is my favorite non-Transatlantic Morse album. I think it's more focused than Similitude, which meanders just a little bit on the first disc. I don't mind the repetition of the Love That Never Dies theme.

Not sure if I'd say it's my favourite of his, but on the rest I completely agree. I love the slightly darker, heavier direction of The Great Adventure. Similitude may have the more epic finale. But I'm inclined to say that I like The Great Adventure more than Similitude. Also, I never had a problem with the use of the Love that never dies theme.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4895 on: November 16, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »
I spun Sola Gratia this weekend for the first time in several weeks.  I've got to say, it's holding up pretty well.  I was really digging Never Change, with Neal great guitar solo, then going into Seemingly Sincere - good stuff!  Still middle of the pack of Neal's catalog, but that's due to just how amazing his top tier material is, Sola Gratia is a solid album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4896 on: November 17, 2020, 01:58:03 AM »
I spun Sola Gratia this weekend for the first time in several weeks.  I've got to say, it's holding up pretty well.  I was really digging Never Change, with Neal great guitar solo, then going into Seemingly Sincere - good stuff!  Still middle of the pack of Neal's catalog, but that's due to just how amazing his top tier material is, Sola Gratia is a solid album.

Seemingly Sincere is absolutely amazing. I love that it takes its time until it establishes a "real" groove.

And Never Change has that epic Floyd/Gilmour vibe, in the vein of Comfortably Numb/In Any Tongue.

Online Mladen

« Reply #4897 on: November 17, 2020, 05:04:32 AM »
I am slightly underwhelmed by that "real" groove in Seemingly sincere. To me, the build up is way more exciting than the actual chorus.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4898 on: November 21, 2020, 08:17:48 AM »
Sola Gratia is growing on me. I try to not really think of it as Sola Scriptura part 2 even if they are related. These are two different albums.
SG sounds more like a Neal Morse Band album too, so my expectations going in were a lot different. Now with a few more listens in, I'm starting to enjoy this album a lot. I'm thinking this is a stronger album than I first thought. I got new speakers this week, and they sound pretty great, so that helps. In fact, music has come to life now with these speakers, I upgraded from an old set of computer speakers to a set of Edifier 1850, so big difference in sound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4899 on: November 21, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »
Sola Gratia is growing on me. I try to not really think of it as Sola Scriptura part 2 even if they are related. These are two different albums.
SG sounds more like a Neal Morse Band album too, so my expectations going in were a lot different. Now with a few more listens in, I'm starting to enjoy this album a lot. I'm thinking this is a stronger album than I first thought. I got new speakers this week, and they sound pretty great, so that helps. In fact, music has come to life now with these speakers, I upgraded from an old set of computer speakers to a set of Edifier 1850, so big difference in sound.

I am sure it is lyrically a proper follow-up to Sola Scriptura (I never go out of my way to dig deep into the stories behind Neal's spiritual lyrics), but musically it doesn't feel like one at all, outside of the few musical nods to it, all of which, to me anyway, feel totally shoe-horned in for the sake of having continuity rather than feeling natural.  The "All I Ask For" section being randomly reprised in the middle of Building a Wall might be the oddest and most unnatural part of a Neal Morse song ever.  It just feels so random and out of place.