Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 549113 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5040 on: January 14, 2021, 04:59:39 AM »
I absolutely love Neal Morse and his music, but on (almost) every album there are just a few situations where I think "this could have been thought over a little more" or transitions which could have composed a little better so parts flow into each other.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5041 on: January 14, 2021, 09:09:20 AM »
I absolutely love Neal Morse and his music, but on (almost) every album there are just a few situations where I think "this could have been thought over a little more" or transitions which could have composed a little better so parts flow into each other.

I just don't understand the need some of these guys have, specially Mike, to pour out as much music as they can, as fast as they can, unless it's about financial struggles. Neal, however, has a great track record, so if he's confident enough to release this with his name on it, I'm in :tup

What still annoys me a bit is that they copy/pasted an entire section from their version of The Little Drummer Boy from A Proggy Christmas (5:29) and used it on Alive Again (16:21), but I guess it's ok if you copy yourself :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5042 on: January 14, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »
I just don't understand the need some of these guys have, specially Mike, to pour out as much music as they can, as fast as they can, unless it's about financial struggles. Neal, however, has a great track record, so if he's confident enough to release this with his name on it, I'm in :tup

Without the steady paycheck from DT, Mike has to release as many albums as he can, and tour as much as he can, to maintain his cashflow. I don't think he's struggling financially, but that's what it takes to maintain a certain level of profitability in this business in the current scenario.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5043 on: January 14, 2021, 11:22:55 AM »
What still annoys me a bit is that they copy/pasted an entire section from their version of The Little Drummer Boy from A Proggy Christmas (5:29) and used it on Alive Again (16:21), but I guess it's ok if you copy yourself :lol

Oh wow, those ARE similar, mostly rhythmically, but the 3-note melodic lines in TLDB go up, while the ones in AA go down.

I could probably cite another half-dozen instances of Neal copying himself, but one of my favorites is "Something Blue" from It's Not Too Late has a guitar melody that's pretty similar to "Outside Looking In" from the Question Mark album. It was really obvious to me when I starting discovering Neal's music in 2005 and ? was his first new album after I became a fan.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5044 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:04 PM »
Is it me or does Neal go skiing in CO like every other week? :lol

Doesn't one of his kids live there or something?  Still not cheap, with flights and lift tickets, but might explain the frequency.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5045 on: January 14, 2021, 12:11:29 PM »
Is it me or does Neal go skiing in CO like every other week? :lol

Doesn't one of his kids live there or something?  Still not cheap, with flights and lift tickets, but might explain the frequency.

Yes, Will, lives there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5046 on: January 14, 2021, 12:28:02 PM »
I hadn't picked up on frequency.  But if Will lives there and Neal can keep a set of ski equipment there so he doesn't have to travel with his or rent when he gets there, and if he buys a season rather than single day lift tickets, the skiing part isn't really that expensive.  It's really just the travel expenses.  And if he can somehow tie the travel to his musical endeavors, which is his business, he can potentially get some of that back at tax time, which makes it less expensive as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5047 on: January 14, 2021, 02:34:04 PM »
Seriously, I wish these guys would take a little more time to write their albums. What do they all have to do now that they have to hurry away and can't even spend at least 2-3 weeks for the writing? Re-arrange stuff, throw away stuff, compose new stuff, let the new music work a little...

They're busy recording other albums, man.

Music Fordism  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5048 on: January 14, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »

To isolate it on just Neal for a minute, since this is the Neal Morse thread after all ;), I think spacing things out a bit more at times would help, in regards to release dates and hype. A good example is late 2019.  The Flying Colors new album had barely been released and all of a sudden the release a few months later of The Exorcist studio album was being hyped.  Not saying fans cannot enjoy two albums released super close to each other, but spacing them out a bit couldn't hurt either.  And it also felt like the Flying Colors album was released in a way and at a time where the band had almost no time to tour on it due to everything else the members had going on at the time.  I mean, they did, what, 9-10 shows for that entire album cycle?  It felt like the album kind of just came and went. 

And I say that as someone who totally acknowledges how lucky I am to have one of my favorite musicians be so prolific; it's an embarrassment of riches, to be honest.  Contrast to another favorite of mine in Radiohead, who releases a new album every other leap year nowadays. :lol  It just feels like at times that some of Neal's (or Neal-related) albums fall by the wayside more quickly than they should because it is always "on to the next!"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5049 on: January 15, 2021, 06:44:29 AM »
Yeah, I have no complaints.  If I'm not hyped about something, I just don't get it (the live Sons Of Apollo, fer instance).  I'm not sure the release schedule has any bearing as to what I buy and/or enjoy, and I compare it to a band like Maiden, who has material in the can and is waiting for PRECISELY the right time to release it.  I think if COVID has shown us anything new (as opposed to just reinforcing previously held political beliefs) it's that "man plans and God laughs".  There is no "precisely right time" for ANYTHING.

The other thing about Neal is, his stuff is so varied; I'm sure there are people that buy his Transatlantic or NMB stuff and have no or little interest in the more praise-oriented material, and vice versa.  And that's fine.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5050 on: January 15, 2021, 08:24:49 AM »
I think it's great that he releases so much.  But, yeah, it can be overwhelming.  I just did a big "catch up" haul over the holidays, and it's kinda funny from one perspective.  Here's what I bought (LOVE those gift cards!):
-Dream Theater:  Distant Memories
-John Petrucci:  Terminal Velocity
-Neal Morse:  Morsefest 2018 (JCTE)
-Neal Morse:  Sola Gratia
-Neal Morse Band:  Live in BRNO, 2019

3 out of 5 are Neal Morse releases.  And pretty recent ones, at that.  Not to mention that MP plays on 4/5 of those releases.  For those that are completists, or even those that just enjoy a lot of the music and want to have it, it can be overwhelming if you get behind on purchasing.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5051 on: January 15, 2021, 08:30:30 AM »
Regarding how fast Neal works on his albums, let us not forget that The Great Adventure went through a couple of iterations before it was released, including a whole new draft by Neal as it transformed into a sequel to TSOAD. They spent quite a bit of time on that one I believe.

With Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe, they spent over a year getting it finished and worked on it through 2020 to give us TWO (well, three) versions of the album, and with Neal having worked on the Abridged version, I think we can expect that one to sound really fresh as well.

And from what I can recall, didn't Flying Colors spend quite a few writing sessions on Third Degree before even getting together to record anything? I think I remember Neal or Mike talking about a few Skype calls the band had in the year or two leading up to Third Degree's release.

Then again, Neal did pump out Sola Gratia fairly quickly, but being a strictly solo album (with little input from anyone else, at least), I don't mind him not taking much longer to work on that one. As for the new NMB album, even though the writing was done in about 7-9 days, I trust them to put out a good album given how talented they all are.

To isolate it on just Neal for a minute, since this is the Neal Morse thread after all ;), I think spacing things out a bit more at times would help, in regards to release dates and hype. A good example is late 2019.  The Flying Colors new album had barely been released and all of a sudden the release a few months later of The Exorcist studio album was being hyped.  Not saying fans cannot enjoy two albums released super close to each other, but spacing them out a bit couldn't hurt either.  And it also felt like the Flying Colors album was released in a way and at a time where the band had almost no time to tour on it due to everything else the members had going on at the time.  I mean, they did, what, 9-10 shows for that entire album cycle?  It felt like the album kind of just came and went. 

And I say that as someone who totally acknowledges how lucky I am to have one of my favorite musicians be so prolific; it's an embarrassment of riches, to be honest.  Contrast to another favorite of mine in Radiohead, who releases a new album every other leap year nowadays. :lol  It just feels like at times that some of Neal's (or Neal-related) albums fall by the wayside more quickly than they should because it is always "on to the next!"

I do kind of agree with this to a certain extent. Flying Colors really did fly by in late 2019, and it's a prime example of how fast Neal's works just sort of come and go. Heck, look at 2020 alone - Neal was a part of 5 releases!!! You had the Great AdvenTour show, the new Morse Portnoy George Cover album, Sola Gratia, the Flying Colors Third Degree tour set, and the JCTE live show from Morsefest 2019.

If anyone recalls my thread that compared the discographies of Steven Wilson, Roine Stolt, and Neal Morse (three of the most prolific writers and performers in prog music over the last 25+ years), even though all three have had pretty stuffed careers, it seems that Neal is the only one who has kept up their pace steadily, and at his current rate, he doesn't show signs of slowing down. For 2021 so far, we've got new Transatlantic and, sometime this year, a new NMB album. If it wasn't for COVID and the inability to tour, I'm sure we would've gotten a live album from Neal this year, too! Maybe if he wants to make the money from it, he could release Morsefest 2020 for some sort of live release this year. Or maybe he'll release another singer-songwriter album as well.

After last year, it'll seem weird to only get two albums with Neal on them this year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5052 on: January 15, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »
To be fair, the lack of FC touring was more because of Steve's DP schedule than anything else, but I definitely agree that it isn't the best idea to release a lot of similar albums in a short period of time. Not everyone who buys the album is a die hard fan like most of us :lol they usually aren't following every single step the band does and need a more elaborate/specific marketing campaign to get them hyped for the album(s) to be released.

Mike's schedule doesn't help that much either (and I know he most likely needs to keep busy to get the $ flowing), as he seems, to me, the one who pushes the most for "we're gonna write the album from Monday through Thursday, I'll record my drum parts on Friday and will be heading off somewhere else on Sunday to record this other band's new album". You can't always get things done best in a time crunch like that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5053 on: January 15, 2021, 09:11:56 AM »
I think it's great that he releases so much.  But, yeah, it can be overwhelming.  I just did a big "catch up" haul over the holidays, and it's kinda funny from one perspective.  Here's what I bought (LOVE those gift cards!):

3 out of 5 are Neal Morse releases.  And pretty recent ones, at that.  Not to mention that MP plays on 4/5 of those releases.  For those that are completists, or even those that just enjoy a lot of the music and want to have it, it can be overwhelming if you get behind on purchasing.  :lol

Curious what you think of the Petrucci solo record.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5054 on: January 15, 2021, 09:20:56 AM »
On Neal, I think that while he records prodigiously, I think he's shown a remarkable ability to be reasonably self-aware.  Not EVERY release requires going back and revising, rewriting or restructuring.  These are artists, and we don't pay for the number of iterations, we pay for the choices they ultimately make and stick with.  I think it's part of the art to see what releases get (or require) the extensive revisions and which are deemed, by the participants, to be release worthy. 

We don't seem to question Marillion, when they volley between extensive efforts (Marbles) and more urgent releases (Something Else).   Out of genre, but people tripped over themselves to praise Prince's productivity when he died and a similar thing with Eddie Van Halen, but as the archives open (more for Prince than EVH, though there is a smattering of solo material on the web), those are far more egregious cases of material not spending enough time in the oven. 

I don't expect everyone - anyone - to follow this approach, but for me, I take the releases for what they are, and incorporate the timing element into the choices they made during the creation.   If they think it's ready for me to hear, I can't really argue with that, since I don't know what more time would have done; would it have added something, or killed what little spark might have been there? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5055 on: January 15, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »

Curious what you think of the Petrucci solo record.

OK, well first a bit of a disclaimer:  In general, I just don't tend to gravitate toward instrumentals.  Never have.  It is a rare thing for me to pull out an LTE album and listen to it, even though I like the songs and can definitely appreciate the playing, songwriting, and craft of it.  It's why, despite my immense respect for Joe Satriani, for example, I do not (and will not) own any of his albums, and his live sets the couple of times I have seen him (co-headlining with DT and G3) really make me struggle to pay attention after a couple of songs. 

So all that being said, I like it for what it is.  There are some pretty amazing moments, and some good songs.  I'm glad he recorded it, and I enjoy it.  What sets John's albums apart to me is that he is REALLY good at capturing heaviness and melody simultaneously, which holds my interest a lot longer than something like this otherwise would.  But just because of my tastes more broadly, it probably isn't something I will listen to all that often, other than as some great background music while working. 

To compare albums, I would say that I don't like it quite as much as the first one.  But it's still solid.  And over time, it might overtake the first one. 

I really wish he could have included Wrath of the Amazons.  That song live was a monster.  I get why it isn't on here, but it's a shame.  Actually, his entire set from G3 was great.  I would have loved it if Satch would have done another official G3 live release.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5056 on: January 15, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
On Neal, I think that while he records prodigiously, I think he's shown a remarkable ability to be reasonably self-aware.  Not EVERY release requires going back and revising, rewriting or restructuring.  These are artists, and we don't pay for the number of iterations, we pay for the choices they ultimately make and stick with.  I think it's part of the art to see what releases get (or require) the extensive revisions and which are deemed, by the participants, to be release worthy. 

We don't seem to question Marillion, when they volley between extensive efforts (Marbles) and more urgent releases (Something Else).   Out of genre, but people tripped over themselves to praise Prince's productivity when he died and a similar thing with Eddie Van Halen, but as the archives open (more for Prince than EVH, though there is a smattering of solo material on the web), those are far more egregious cases of material not spending enough time in the oven. 

I don't expect everyone - anyone - to follow this approach, but for me, I take the releases for what they are, and incorporate the timing element into the choices they made during the creation.   If they think it's ready for me to hear, I can't really argue with that, since I don't know what more time would have done; would it have added something, or killed what little spark might have been there? 

I couldn't agree more with this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5057 on: January 15, 2021, 02:30:35 PM »
Watching the BRNO DVD for the first time.  I managed to find myself in the U.S. documentary video.  :)  When I started the documentary and realized they were going city by city, and showing a little bit of footage from each gig, I was wondering whether I would be visible once they got to the SF show.  Sure enough! 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5058 on: January 15, 2021, 03:17:16 PM »
Watching the BRNO DVD for the first time.  I managed to find myself in the U.S. documentary video.  :)  When I started the documentary and realized they were going city by city, and showing a little bit of footage from each gig, I was wondering whether I would be visible once they got to the SF show.  Sure enough!

Damn, I may have to get this now just to see if I am in the documentary.  We were literally in the front row at the show here in St Louis (there were times I could have reached out and touched Neal when he came to the front of the stage), so the odds are high, I suppose.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5059 on: January 15, 2021, 03:54:56 PM »

Damn, I may have to get this now just to see if I am in the documentary.  We were literally in the front row at the show here in St Louis (there were times I could have reached out and touched Neal when he came to the front of the stage), so the odds are high, I suppose.

I'm in the bonus disc, interviewing the whole band in Toronto. Neil was filming me when we were all chatting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5060 on: January 15, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »

I'm in the bonus disc, interviewing the whole band in Toronto. Neil was filming me when we were all chatting.

Yeah, saw that!  :)  And hearing the band speak, I remembered the specific interview that appeared in. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5061 on: January 15, 2021, 05:55:23 PM »

. Who’s Neil?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5062 on: January 15, 2021, 06:58:49 PM »

. Who’s Neil?

Neil Moors, formerly of Speck's Beered.

-Marc.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5063 on: January 16, 2021, 01:46:08 AM »

You're right. And it is curious how the fanbase reacts with releases that are not necessarily a "success of public". Sola Gratia exemplified this. It was released, generated lukewarm reactions here for just a few days and was gone. I think the record generated more engagement BEFORE it was released than AFTER the release. It is almost as if people thought "OK, let's wait for the next one, which will come soon".
When a band like Iron Maiden or Dream Theater releases a new album, whether people think it is good or not, it will be turned inside out. There will be no lukewarm reception.

But I believe that the fact of being a solo record also influenced that. I highly doubt that the new Transatlantic or the new NMB will have so few comments after release.

Online Mladen

« Reply #5064 on: January 16, 2021, 02:40:56 AM »
I am considering buying the DVD just for the documentary and bonus features. Those are always cool.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5065 on: January 16, 2021, 06:24:55 AM »

. Who’s Neil?

-Marc.

Neil Morse and Neal Peart of Rush are two artists I talk about a lot. It's easy to mix the two from time to time!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5066 on: January 16, 2021, 06:30:19 AM »

You're right. And it is curious how the fanbase reacts with releases that are not necessarily a "success of public". Sola Gratia exemplified this. It was released, generated lukewarm reactions here for just a few days and was gone. I think the record generated more engagement BEFORE it was released than AFTER the release. It is almost as if people thought "OK, let's wait for the next one, which will come soon".
When a band like Iron Maiden or Dream Theater releases a new album, whether people think it is good or not, it will be turned inside out. There will be no lukewarm reception.

But I believe that the fact of being a solo record also influenced that. I highly doubt that the new Transatlantic or the new NMB will have so few comments after release.

Well, this being a Dream Theater forum, anything they release is always going to be dissected to the nth degree :lol ;), but I think Sola Gratia fell under the banner of "solid/pretty good record that isn't great enough to talk about a lot, but also not bad enough to criticize a lot."  I have seen quite a few albums by artists normally talked about a lot here get similar treatment, the last few Muse albums for example.  Heck, even the last album by Haken didn't seem like it generated as much overall chatter as the last few records before it. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5067 on: January 16, 2021, 09:19:52 AM »

Well, this being a Dream Theater forum, anything they release is always going to be dissected to the nth degree :lol ;), but I think Sola Gratia fell under the banner of "solid/pretty good record that isn't great enough to talk about a lot, but also not bad enough to criticize a lot."  I have seen quite a few albums by artists normally talked about a lot here get similar treatment, the last few Muse albums for example.  Heck, even the last album by Haken didn't seem like it generated as much overall chatter as the last few records before it.

Truth. But I wasn't just referring here.
But ok, they are artists who generate different types of engagement. Dream Theater is even capable of having Haters. Neal Morse is not, either people like him or ignore him.

But I still think that Sola Gratia's reception is symptomatic. It didn't generate a week of comments here. Outside here, protocol reviews and I think that was it. Perhaps it was more debated somewhere specializing in Neal Morse. In some groups about prog, prog metal that I follow, the record was ignored. But people are already looking forward to the new Transatlantic.

Before, this kind of cold reception was relegated to Neal's non-prog records.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5068 on: January 16, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »

. Who’s Neil?

-Marc.

HAHAHAHAHA

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5069 on: January 16, 2021, 02:43:10 PM »
I know, for me, regarding Sola Gratia, it was coming out not too long before other albums I had been anticipating for awhile, including new releases from Ayreon, The Flower Kings, John Petrucci, and other new releases like the Dyble/Longdon album. Last summer/fall was a VERY packed time for new albums, so it was a battle for attention.

I will admit to not giving Sola Gratia a lot of time or attention, but I think I'll revisit it some day, probably in the weeks leading up to the new NMB album sometime later this year. And speaking of the next NMB album, I kind of hope that it'll be a short one, something nice and quick, maybe an hour long of really good, solid material. I think having a shorter album from Neal might also help listener's retention of it, simply because Neal has released SO MUCH music over the last few years, including two double albums with the NMB, and two albums with Transatlantic in a few weeks.

-Marc.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5070 on: January 16, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »
I still think that Sola Gratia is a very good record. Not sure where I would rank it, but it surely would end up in the upper half of Neal's vast discography. And I listened to it more than to other records that came out in 2020, where I thought they would be better but turned out not to be.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5071 on: January 16, 2021, 03:44:49 PM »
I still think that Sola Gratia is a very good record. Not sure where I would rank it

It is. There are some good songs on there. It's certainly not Neal's most complex album....but I enjoy it when I listen to it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5072 on: January 16, 2021, 07:51:49 PM »
I don't care how much or how little time they spend working on it as long as it's good and the albums they've released as NMB so far have been good so I don't expect this one to be any different.

As long as it's good, that's really all that matters.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5073 on: January 16, 2021, 08:01:10 PM »
I know, for me, regarding Sola Gratia, it was coming out not too long before other albums I had been anticipating for awhile, including new releases from Ayreon, The Flower Kings, John Petrucci, and other new releases like the Dyble/Longdon album. Last summer/fall was a VERY packed time for new albums, so it was a battle for attention.

I will admit to not giving Sola Gratia a lot of time or attention, but I think I'll revisit it some day, probably in the weeks leading up to the new NMB album sometime later this year. And speaking of the next NMB album, I kind of hope that it'll be a short one, something nice and quick, maybe an hour long of really good, solid material. I think having a shorter album from Neal might also help listener's retention of it, simply because Neal has released SO MUCH music over the last few years, including two double albums with the NMB, and two albums with Transatlantic in a few weeks.

-Marc.

I didn't give it what is deserved either. Mostly because of the new Fish and Flying Colors live album.  It got lost in the shuffle. So much music, so little time.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5074 on: January 17, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »
I still think that Sola Gratia is a very good record. Not sure where I would rank it, but it surely would end up in the upper half of Neal's vast discography. And I listened to it more than to other records that came out in 2020, where I thought they would be better but turned out not to be.

This.  I said in another thread, no album in recent memory has grown on me as much as Sola Gratia.  I was totally underwhelmed when it first came out - but now, after sticking with it, I really enjoy it and think it's very very good!  Still not in Neal's "upper echelon", but again, that's more due to how incredible some of his other efforts have been.  4.25 out of 5 stars for me.  I think I'll listen to it again today!