Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 115651 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #770 on: June 20, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »
I might have to agree, but there is a lot of great material on all of them.

Absolutely. Love all 4 and when I first heard FMT I was even a little underwhelmed. I thought it lacked a little punch. Then I played it on repeat and realized I loved every song. I think it's the most consistent and also the most moody. Always loved and looked forward to new releases but the lack of anything since that one is tough.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #771 on: June 20, 2021, 08:46:05 AM »
Despite Kevin's approach with Portnoy's drum parts, the debut is a gem that stands the test of time.

"Despite"?  I would say Moore's approach worked largely in the album's favor, as the album became something much more than what was originally intended.  Instead of sounding like just another prog rock supergroup record with Portnoy's usual drum style (which is often a good thing, for sure), it sounds pretty unique within the genre.  I admittedly had trouble with it at first because it was totally not what I was expecting, but I came around to really liking it, and I think it has held up well.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: June 20, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »
Despite Kevin's approach with Portnoy's drum parts, the debut is a gem that stands the test of time.

"Despite"?  I would say Moore's approach worked largely in the album's favor, as the album became something much more than what was originally intended.  Instead of sounding like just another prog rock supergroup record with Portnoy's usual drum style (which is often a good thing, for sure), it sounds pretty unique within the genre.  I admittedly had trouble with it at first because it was totally not what I was expecting, but I came around to really liking it, and I think it has held up well.

I couldn't of said it better myself. I know MP wasn't happy with the results but had those drums not been altered it just would've been like every other project MP has been a part of from the perspective of the drums. The editing brought MPs drums to life in a way that MP would've never have done left to his own devices.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #773 on: June 20, 2021, 08:55:22 AM »
Free is my fave but FMT is my number 2. I always thought it needed one more song but in the past few years I started to appreciate how compact it was.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #774 on: June 20, 2021, 08:56:31 AM »
OSI’s debut sounded very fresh and original when it was released. I loved the contrast with the songwriting between Jim and Kevin. It really blends very well.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #775 on: June 21, 2021, 03:11:07 AM »
I hadn't heard FREE before, so I checked it out over the last two days. What a weird album. At times it sounds like 00s Porcupine Tree, sometimes there's an industrial vibe to it, sometimes it's alternative or poppy. Combined with MP's restrained but still awesome drumming. Great production. Weird album, but somehow I like it.

I haven't heard the debut in like 10 years (or more), so I have almost no memory of it. Will check it out (again) soon.

I also don't know the band's third and fourth albums. But I am a huge Gavin Harrison fanboy, so I will listen to them soon as well.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #776 on: June 21, 2021, 05:17:02 AM »
I hadn't heard FREE before, so I checked it out over the last two days. What a weird album. At times it sounds like 00s Porcupine Tree, sometimes there's an industrial vibe to it, sometimes it's alternative or poppy. Combined with MP's restrained but still awesome drumming. Great production. Weird album, but somehow I like it.

I haven't heard the debut in like 10 years (or more), so I have almost no memory of it. Will check it out (again) soon.

I also don't know the band's third and fourth albums. But I am a huge Gavin Harrison fanboy, so I will listen to them soon as well.
you'll love Blood and Fire Make Thunder, I do too. Gav makes a massive difference. OSI and Free are dull and bland in comparison (largely good writing on OSI and Free though I guess), I much prefer the production of Blood and Fire Make Thunder over that on OSI and Free too. (more easily listenable, at least for me)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #777 on: June 23, 2021, 11:51:05 AM »
Anyone here a ChromaKey Patreon supporter?

Been doing a deep dive on OSI this week (love, love, love all 4 albums), and then I noticed Kev's on Patreon.

If anyone here is a supporter, I'd love to hear your take on the value. $10 per release seems a bit steep, but maybe there's something I'm missing?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #778 on: June 23, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »

Been doing a deep dive on OSI this week (love, love, love all 4 albums), and then I noticed Kev's on Patreon.

If anyone here is a supporter, I'd love to hear your take on the value. $10 per release seems a bit steep, but maybe there's something I'm missing?

It's a subscription service. So you subscribe for $10 and get access to all they offer. In this case of Chroma Key, it gives you access to all his demos he has been releasing. And right now, it is way worth it for the amount of demos he has released.

You can pay more for some exclusive access stuff, like instrumental demos, demo previews, and even stem tracks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #779 on: June 23, 2021, 12:34:35 PM »

It's a subscription service. So you subscribe for $10 and get access to all they offer. In this case of Chroma Key, it gives you access to all his demos he has been releasing. And right now, it is way worth it for the amount of demos he has released.

You can pay more for some exclusive access stuff, like instrumental demos, demo previews, and even stem tracks.

I get that, but I suppose what I want to know is how often do I pay $10...once a month, once a year? It doesn't clearly say.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #780 on: June 23, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »

I get that, but I suppose what I want to know is how often do I pay $10...once a month, once a year? It doesn't clearly say.

He does it per song....

But you're very generous if you're paying $10.

To get a simple download if the demos, it's only $3.

And that is the one charge, and if he decides to release more down the line, each one will charge $3 to your account. Only when he releases a song, will you be charged.

That $3 also, give you access to that back log, with no additional charge. Which is the beauty of it all.

I joined when he was starting and had like 6 demos out. Then I cancelled the subscription because I lost my bank card and he wasn't releasing much at that time, so I just forgot about it. I remembered about it, and joined for $5 this time, and was able to download all the songs I missed by the time I remembered.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #781 on: June 23, 2021, 01:39:43 PM »

He does it per song....

But you're very generous if you're paying $10.

To get a simple download if the demos, it's only $3.

And that is the one charge, and if he decides to release more down the line, each one will charge $3 to your account. Only when he releases a song, will you be charged.

That $3 also, give you access to that back log, with no additional charge. Which is the beauty of it all.

I joined when he was starting and had like 6 demos out. Then I cancelled the subscription because I lost my bank card and he wasn't releasing much at that time, so I just forgot about it. I remembered about it, and joined for $5 this time, and was able to download all the songs I missed by the time I remembered.

Gotcha—thanks for the info my man!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: June 23, 2021, 01:57:19 PM »
I'm a patron as well, joined at the beginning and after a few years had a large lapse for exactly the same reason as Ben. It's been fun seeing what I missed when I rejoined recently, hopefully there's more where all of that came from :corn

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #783 on: June 23, 2021, 02:32:10 PM »
I'm on the $5 tier which gets you the demo and a bonus track as well.

for those interested:
$3
Downloads of each demo release (high quality mp3, Apple Lossless and FLAC)
Thank You List - your name embedded in the digital downloads

$5
All the $3 rewards, plus:
Bonus track included with each new song release (ex. an instrumental mix, remix, or something unreleased)

$10
All the $5 rewards, plus:
Detailed Production Notes
Audio Stems - for remixing or just listening to individual tracks
Special Thanks - your name featured in the thank you lists 

https://www.patreon.com/chromakey

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #784 on: June 23, 2021, 09:06:44 PM »
I actually found a CD copy of Ghost Book at a Half Price Books for the other day in the clearance section for $2, lol.

I'll probably make a video on YouTube showing it and some other stuff I picked up recently. The truth be, I probably only listened to it originally 2 or 3 times, but for $2? why not.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: June 24, 2021, 07:05:46 AM »
I'm in the 10 tier, I don't use the stems but I want to archive all that stuff and have it just in case. Life is long, maybe I decide to learn how to make music someday.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #786 on: August 13, 2021, 01:33:29 PM »
I didn't see it in this thread when it was announced but I did see the 15th anniversary reissue of Free today and picked it up. Really nice to have the bonus tracks.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #787 on: August 19, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »
I didn't see it in this thread when it was announced but I did see the 15th anniversary reissue of Free today and picked it up. Really nice to have the bonus tracks.

Didn't know about this. Is it on CD?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #788 on: August 19, 2021, 07:31:23 PM »

https://burningshed.com/store/osi/osi_free_2cd

Looks like it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #789 on: August 19, 2021, 08:10:18 PM »

https://burningshed.com/store/osi/osi_free_2cd

Looks like it!

-Marc.
d
Thanks!

So everything on the original 2CD set plus The Free EP.  Looks like a straight repackage. Got excited there for a second.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #790 on: August 21, 2021, 02:13:40 PM »
Sorry to get your hopes up, man. I never even knew there was a 2cd set way back then, so all these bonus tracks were new to me. Looks like it's just being released on Metal Blade now instead of Inside Out like my original copy.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #791 on: August 22, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »
Listened to Blood today after quite a few years. Damn, this album is still so damn good.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: August 24, 2021, 04:46:46 AM »
I really like Blood, I think it's my favorite OSI record. Getting Gavin to play on was the perfect choice.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #793 on: August 28, 2021, 02:54:33 PM »
Sorry to get your hopes up, man. I never even knew there was a 2cd set way back then, so all these bonus tracks were new to me. Looks like it's just being released on Metal Blade now instead of Inside Out like my original copy.

No worries.
Should have known it was too good to be true. Ha Ha!  It's awesome you that you got some new tunes that you haven't heard before.

Offline emtee

« Reply #794 on: February 24, 2023, 07:30:25 AM »
Bump.

Pulled the debut off the shelf last night. Brilliant album that holds up really well with the passing of time. The combo of talent on this is superb.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #795 on: February 24, 2023, 07:32:04 AM »
I haven't listened to any OSI in a long time.

Might need to rectify that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #796 on: February 24, 2023, 07:40:34 AM »
Bump.

Pulled the debut off the shelf last night. Brilliant album that holds up really well with the passing of time. The combo of talent on this is superb.

LOL. I listened to this one last night brother!  :lol

It's a brilliant album although I tend to gravitate towards the heavier and latter releases.

Offline emtee

« Reply #797 on: February 24, 2023, 07:42:56 AM »
Bump.

LOL. I listened to this one last night brother!  :lol

It's a brilliant album although I tend to gravitate towards the heavier and latter releases.

No way! Haha.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #798 on: February 24, 2023, 11:09:00 PM »
I love the first two albums. Blood is really good too. I'll have to run through this discography. Been awhile!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #799 on: February 24, 2023, 11:13:24 PM »
The debut is actually my least favorite. It’s still amazing. But Free is their masterpiece IMO.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #800 on: February 25, 2023, 06:33:53 AM »
The debut is actually my least favorite. It’s still amazing. But Free is their masterpiece IMO.

Agreed!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #801 on: February 25, 2023, 06:21:34 PM »

I can't disagree about Free.

I also just found out that Blood was re-released on vinyl earlier this year! Yoink!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #802 on: February 26, 2023, 02:09:09 AM »
I can disagree about Free.  :D Good record but still their weakest imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online HOF

« Reply #803 on: February 27, 2023, 09:16:26 AM »
I liked Free but not as much as the debut and not enough to keep on following their subsequent releases.

Offline emtee

« Reply #804 on: February 27, 2023, 09:50:04 AM »
Listened to all 3 over the weekend and the debut is easily my favorite.