Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 113318 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #630 on: January 14, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
I'm down for a top-whatever regarding Chroma Key and Moore's solo output. I've had my fill of OSI recently and participated in a top-whatever and a survivor a while back; so I think it'd be better to have them separate. But whatever works best for everyone, I could do both, it'd just be filled mostly with CK/Solo for me with OSI sprinkled here and there. You don't need permission from anyone, it's no different than starting a thread of your own.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #631 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:29 AM »
Okay, so who wants to have the honor of the first Go, go go, go go, Go, Go?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #632 on: January 14, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »
You were the one who brought up this idea, so I guess the honor goes to you. I also think that I could extend my list to top 30 as well.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: January 14, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
*claps* I'll start it tomorrow evening after I get back from my exam.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #634 on: January 14, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »
Sweet. I'm up for a 30 after ?. I'll be taking my 'top' from all of Moore's music outside of OSI but there's still plenty, especially if I dig into his demos, B-sides and whatnot. Which hopefully I can find...I recently moved so they're all in boxes. Farrrrk. Time to search.

RIP DTP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
Sweet. I'm up for a 30 after ?. I'll be taking my 'top' from all of Moore's music outside of OSI but there's still plenty, especially if I dig into his demos, B-sides and whatnot. Which hopefully I can find...I recently moved so they're all in boxes. Farrrrk. Time to search.
I have heard his CK demos and some even might get in but haven't heard the two soundtracks and Memory Hole. MH would be cool to find, I know it was an internet-only album, but I probably won't listen to it before I do this. I'm not a big fan of movie soundtracks so I'm not sure how would I stand with Ghost Book, but I'd definitely like to get Shine, as the title track and the stuff on his Soundcloud is beautiful enough for it to be more than just a soundtrack, but I also have a feeling it will depress me terribly so I'm leery of moving forward :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #636 on: January 14, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
It's morose in his way, but it's nothing too detrimental. I'd say it's more melancholic than outright depressing; but then again I find some of the darkest music to be the most beautiful and rarely will it actually depress me. I'm excited to do this! I haven't sifted through his collection in a while.

RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: January 15, 2013, 07:51:13 AM »
I already picked 30 songs, now I have to think about the order and that's freaking hard! :-\

I've only heard a couple of the demo songs and nothing off Shine or the other soundtracks, so nothing from those releases will be on my list. As a huge fan of both melancholic and outright depressing stuff I bet I could like Shine though.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: January 25, 2013, 07:38:57 AM »
I didn't want to turn the list thread completely off-topic so I'm posting this review here: https://www.rocknworld.com/thrashpit/reviews/09/OSI_-_Blood.shtml

So OSI is nu metal and Kevin is trying too hard to make heavy stuff? :facepalm:

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #639 on: January 25, 2013, 07:41:36 AM »
Wow, that guy's writing style is obnoxious.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
I didn't want to turn the list thread completely off-topic so I'm posting this review here: https://www.rocknworld.com/thrashpit/reviews/09/OSI_-_Blood.shtml

After leaving Dream Theater, Kevin Moore forms Office of Strategic Influence with former band mate Mike Portnoy, who later cans the band after two albums because of Kevin Moore's natural state of being a dick
MIKE DID YOU WRITE THIS :rollin

I have laughed so much today I can't anymore... I just can't, I'm out of breath. Does this guy realize Jim is the one who writes the metal riffs and that he has never touched nu-metal? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #641 on: January 25, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »
This is almost like the Serbian commentator loving on Andy Murray delicate hands.  :censored
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: January 25, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »
That guy is just one of those purists who think that the combination of clean vocals and chugging downtuned riffs automatically makes any band nu metal (like those who think Katatonia went nu metal on Viva Emptiness - actually I remember some reviewer calling Porcupine Tree nu metal as well :facepalm:). Luckily Kevin hasn't started rapping yet! :lol

What I found especially ridiculous was his comment that OSI should concentrate on the ambient stuff - I mean, we already have Chroma Key and what would Jim do? Obviously there are some guitars on CK albums as well, but I think the whole concept of OSI is based on the mix of Kevin's electronic influences and Jim's heavy riffs.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: January 25, 2013, 08:14:45 AM »
What I found especially ridiculous was his comment that OSI should concentrate on the ambient stuff - I mean, we already have Chroma Key and what would Jim do? Obviously there are some guitars on CK albums as well, but I think the whole concept of OSI is based on the mix of Kevin's electronic influences and Jim's heavy riffs.
But he obviously knows what needs to be done better than them and he is too good of a writer and too intuitive to fact-check.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: January 25, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »
Yeah, he called Kev Mr. Chroma Key so he has to be someone who knows all and everything

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »
Yeah, he called Kev Mr. Chroma Key so he has to be someone who knows all and everything
Yeah, especially since he knows that MP and KM were in fact the ones who founded OSI by Inception-like planting the idea into Jim's head to ask both of them to join.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: January 25, 2013, 08:18:10 AM »
Jim who?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: January 25, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2013, 08:21:09 AM »
Well, at least he's not the guy who listens to Sepultura and writes nu metal riffs - that would have to be Kevin.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #649 on: January 25, 2013, 08:27:30 AM »
By the way, recently I revisited Fire Make Thunder (had some hard time listening to anything else but The Gathering for the last couple of months). Such a strong album, definitely my album of 2012.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #650 on: January 25, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »
 :facepalm: What an ignorant cunt, that reviewer.

RIP DTP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: January 25, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »
Well, at least he's not the guy who listens to Sepultura and writes nu metal riffs - that would have to be Kevin.
Because he is known for writing heavy stuff on his mean 7-string guitar.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: January 25, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Another WTF-worthy review, this time a 5-star one, though.

OSI is basically a good amount of FM nu-metal but with more maturity. Think of Linkin Park but with a soft voice and lots of electronical sounds. Aaah, combinations like those are not well-known and besides them, Riverside also used that recipe of FM and nu- metal.
Linkin Park? ??? I don't find them nearly as bad as people claim (my sister is a fan of them actually!), but they're not the first name that pops to mind when listening to OSI.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #653 on: January 25, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »
No, they're not.. I'm a big fan of LP but a connection to OSI I did not make. What the fuck is with all these Nu-Metal references? Holy shit. Maybe my understanding of Nu-Metal isn't what I thought originally. I mean, woohoo that he likes it, but his comparisons and understanding of the music OSI creates is so completely off-base; at least in regards to my own, which I thought was pretty extensive. Anyone that considers OSI in the realm of Nu-Metal doesn't get it. I mean...this comment: "Why the kidz are feeding on Simple Plan or Blink 182? Youngers could easily dig in this, this is almost their alley !!!", which made him loose all credibility the moment I read it, not only because it sounds like a trolling dickhead comment, even if it wasn't intended that way, but it also makes no sense in relation to OSI. Fuckin' hell.

RIP DTP.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: January 25, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
I think too many people believe that every metal band/album to come out after the 90s is nu metal. Also, nu metal Riverside? What is wrong with this guy?
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: January 25, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »
I mean...this comment: "Why the kidz are feeding on Simple Plan or Blink 182? Youngers could easily dig in this, this is almost their alley !!!", which made him loose all credibility the moment I read it, not only because it sounds like a trolling dickhead comment, even if it wasn't intended that way, but it also makes no sense in relation to OSI. Fuckin' hell.
Exactly! I can't imagine Simple Plan and Blink 182 fans liking Hello Helicopter or Memory Daydreams Lapses.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #656 on: January 25, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »
I think too many people believe that every metal band/album to come out after the 90s is nu metal. Also, nu metal Riverside? What is wrong with this guy?

Yeah, I forgot to comment on that. This too made him loose all credibility. Overall, ignorant douches shouldn't review such beautiful music that apparently goes way above their tiny heads. "They're holding back" really...are they really? I wonder when this guy decided that he knew each and every member's ultimate potential and worked out exactly how much they were exerting during this album. Unbelievable.

RIP DTP.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: January 25, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »

After leaving Dream Theater, Kevin Moore forms Office of Strategic Influence with former band mate Mike Portnoy, who later cans the band after two albums because of Kevin Moore's natural state of being a dick

Wow, that review doesn't even deserve a comment, but I can't resist.  Kevin a dick?  At least Kev kept his MP squabbles behind closed doors.  MP actually incorporated an OSI chapter in the Lifting Shadows book for everyone to read in which he sliced and diced Kevin in a classless fashion.   :tdwn
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:30:23 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: January 25, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
I just find most of this funny, and inspiring enough for quick photoshops of MetalKevin :lol

Wow, that review doesn't even deserve a comment, but I can't resist.  Kevin a dick?  At least Kev kept his MP squabbles behind closed doors.  MP actually incorporated an OSI chapter in the Lifting Shadows book for everyone to read in which he sliced and diced Kevin in a classless fashion.   :tdwn
I wonder how many people would feel like that about Kevin had not MP taken an opportunity to slander him everywhere, based on nothing but his resentful feelings. Probably a lot less.

Also, "MP canned OSI"... yeah :rollin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:08:28 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: January 26, 2013, 12:46:17 AM »
Also, "MP canned OSI"... yeah :rollin
But you know, it's MP! He can can (lol) bands he's not even an official member of!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #660 on: January 26, 2013, 01:03:28 AM »
He canned Storm Corrosion as well!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: January 26, 2013, 02:39:00 AM »

I'm not sure he would have digged the atmosphere of the album had he been there, actually  :biggrin:
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: January 26, 2013, 02:44:49 AM »

I'm not sure he would have digged the atmosphere of the album had he been there, actually  :biggrin:
Oh boy, if he had a problem adapting to KM and JM, imagine him trying to work with SW :rollin

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: January 26, 2013, 02:46:35 AM »
Well, at least I bet he wasn't like "damn, why did Mikael and Steven not invite me to play on this?!" when he heard the album! :lol I'm glad MP isn't on the album, his playing style wouldn't have fit at all. And to quote Mikael:
We could have still had Mike come in and play drums, but I think Mike is such a driven guy. I don’t think he would have liked to participate in the end, because anyone can play the ride cymbal. So it’s kind of contradictory to being a drummer like Mike Portnoy to just play the hi-hat, you know. There are some drums on there, but it’s only an effect.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: January 26, 2013, 02:55:05 AM »
Imagine his face when he's told he has to play overall 43 seconds of hi-hat in the whole record. And that he cannot do backing growls  :lol
- Marco