Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 113229 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #805 on: February 27, 2023, 09:59:21 AM »
Listened to all 3 over the weekend and the debut is easily my favorite.

If you skipped Fire Make Thunder I highly suggest you give it a listen..."Invisible Men" might be the best thing (IMO) Kevin Moore has ever played on (and yes, that includes DT).

Offline emtee

« Reply #806 on: February 27, 2023, 10:05:46 AM »

If you skipped Fire Make Thunder I highly suggest you give it a listen..."Invisible Men" might be the best thing (IMO) Kevin Moore has ever played on (and yes, that includes DT).

I have not but will do so. The one song that really stuck out for me after the trifecta of listening was shutDOWN. What a great riff!

Thanks

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #807 on: February 27, 2023, 10:10:34 AM »

All three what? OSI have four studio albums and an EP, IIRC.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #808 on: February 27, 2023, 10:24:57 AM »
Fire Make Thunder is my favorite OSI record. Wind Won't Howl is my favorite OSI song.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #809 on: February 27, 2023, 11:10:55 AM »
Only four albums, no EP

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #810 on: February 27, 2023, 11:49:56 AM »
There was that re:free thing with some remixes. Wasn't that released as an EP?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #811 on: February 27, 2023, 12:27:49 PM »

Yes, it was.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2602293-OSI-Re-Free

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #812 on: February 27, 2023, 12:52:13 PM »

Yes, it was.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2602293-OSI-Re-Free

Thank you for posting that. I was gonna say, I know for certain that OSI had an EP following the release of Free, and I even own it, so I've got five discs from OSI. A shame they haven't done anything since 2012. I guess with Kevin's career change, the band is effectively on permanent hiatus. It was a good run while it lasted, though!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline frogprog

« Reply #813 on: February 27, 2023, 01:42:03 PM »
I had no idea. I will have to search that out

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #814 on: February 27, 2023, 02:53:28 PM »

The Metal Blade 2021 reissue has the EP included.

https://www.discogs.com/release/19742107-OSI-Free

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #815 on: February 27, 2023, 03:04:11 PM »

The Metal Blade 2021 reissue has the EP included.

https://www.discogs.com/release/19742107-OSI-Free

And Laser CD happens to have the 2CD re-issue still in stock! - https://www.lasercd.com/search_results?f[0]=cp_artist1:827

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #816 on: February 27, 2023, 07:12:40 PM »
Don't have a problem with any of them though it's been about six months since I listened to one.

Offline emtee

« Reply #817 on: February 28, 2023, 01:13:35 AM »
Listened to Fire Make Thunder last night and you guys are right. This is on a whole different level than the other albums. I will be ordering this today. Fantastic album.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #818 on: February 28, 2023, 02:55:16 AM »
Hopefully the 1-2$ they receive as a royalty from your purchase reminds them that this was a thing and ignites their curiosity to make another one :D

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #819 on: February 28, 2023, 05:45:01 AM »
Listened to Fire Make Thunder last night and you guys are right. This is on a whole different level than the other albums. I will be ordering this today. Fantastic album.

I'm really happy you gave it a shot.

I think it is such a shame the project was shelved, especially since it was essentially a 'by email' band. I realize that Kev decided to go legit and get his PhD on, but I still have hope that OSI v.5 will arrive someday soon.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #820 on: February 28, 2023, 07:23:51 AM »
I really like FMT, but of all their albums, it felt the most like a retread of the previous album. In fact, doesn’t Wind Won’t Howl have an identical guitar line as Radiologue?

Still a great album. And The Invisible Man makes up for any faults of the rest of the album. That song’s incredible!!!  What a master stroke to end your band on.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: February 28, 2023, 01:53:52 PM »
I love all OSI albums, but I personally felt like the albums got a teeny tiny bit weaker with each release.  To me, the debut album was the best, then Free, then Blood, then Fire Make Thunder.  The debut album is pure magic, in my opinion.  I remember quietly sitting in my local public library when the album came out and not knowing what to expect as I hit play.  I don't believe they had released any teasers or anything, so we all went in blind as to what it would sound like.  But the thought of Kevin's voice over progressive metal had me pumped and intrigued -- and the album didn't disappoint.  Also, the album's passport-themed packaging was so unique and special.  Everything about that album was super cool.  I love the debut album so much that it's #6 on my list of all-time favorite albums.  On FMT, I kinda felt like the well had run dry a bit and the songs were not as strong as the previous releases -- except for "Invisible Men."  Anyway, I hope Jim and Kevin collaborate on something again one day.  But even moreso, I hope Kevin and Petrucci collaborate on something again one day -- even if it's just one song of a future Petrucci solo disc or one song on a future Chroma Key release.  Before Petrucci and Myung met Portnoy, it was the connection between Petrucci and Moore that laid the foundations for the birth of progressive metal as we know it.  (And Myung, of course, although he was less of a "songwriter" compared to JP and KM.) I would cut off my pinky finger for Petrucci and Moore to work on something together again.  Just one song.  Acoustic guitar and a piano.  That's all I need.       
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline emtee

« Reply #822 on: February 28, 2023, 02:16:33 PM »
Yes, they have a very unique sound and I enjoy the way Kevin lets the songs breathe a bit.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #823 on: March 01, 2023, 12:53:46 AM »
Could be coping, but Metal Blade reuploaded Jim's guitar playthrough of False Start a month ago. I think that video was uploaded years ago originally. Maybe they're teasing, hopefully!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #824 on: March 01, 2023, 05:47:39 AM »
Could be coping, but Metal Blade reuploaded Jim's guitar playthrough of False Start a month ago. I think that video was uploaded years ago originally. Maybe they're teasing, hopefully!

We can only hope!

Offline HOF

« Reply #825 on: March 01, 2023, 12:48:32 PM »
I love all OSI albums, but I personally felt like the albums got a teeny tiny bit weaker with each release.  To me, the debut album was the best, then Free, then Blood, then Fire Make Thunder.  The debut album is pure magic, in my opinion.  I remember quietly sitting in my local public library when the album came out and not knowing what to expect as I hit play.  I don't believe they had released any teasers or anything, so we all went in blind as to what it would sound like.  But the thought of Kevin's voice over progressive metal had me pumped and intrigued -- and the album didn't disappoint.  Also, the album's passport-themed packaging was so unique and special.  Everything about that album was super cool.   

Agreed. The first album was really special.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: OSI - Official Thread
« Reply #826 on: March 01, 2023, 12:51:57 PM »
Slight fixing of the thread title.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.