Author Topic: DreamSonic 2023  (Read 70789 times)

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DreamSonic 2023
« Reply #2065 on: July 28, 2023, 12:13:05 PM »

It looks like it was a gift for JP :metal :hefdaddy
https://www.facebook.com/abasiguitars/posts/pfbid02HugQhfqFVC1QWVvsbeUhT1DekTwaptJZojQsR94zUg3BT43Cx8DKRECtiAdADBAnl

@johnpetrucciofficial has always been a massive source of inspiration to us at Abasi Concepts, so we decided to pay homage to one of his iconic guitar finishes with this incredible one-off ēmi 8 (painted by the same artist who originally painted John’s guitar - Dan Lawrence) to commemorate @tosinabasi and @animalsasleaders  finishing the Dreamsonic Tour with @dreamtheaterofficial and @dvntownsend 🤘🫡🔥

I wish I knew that before seeing him use it.  That is a cool story!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2066 on: July 28, 2023, 12:16:25 PM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kram

« Reply #2067 on: July 28, 2023, 12:46:48 PM »

Cool story and review! So did MP dedicate it over the PA or was it more like a mental personal dedication before they played it? Either way, very cool of MP.
He did it personally with me during the pre-show M&G, and JR (sitting next to him who heard what he said) acknowledged it too.  I was in the front row, and when they started playing it, MP pointed to me and then to the sky, and I gave him a hand over my heart and pointed back.  Definitely an emotional gesture that still means so much to me to this day.
That's awesome that MP did that. Very cool story.  Of course I'm sorry for the loss of your mom.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2068 on: July 28, 2023, 01:15:52 PM »
Here is a question about future tours since this did not happen on View or DreamSonic to my knowledge...if the guys offer Meet & Greet again would you do it? How have they handled it in the past? Do you get any meaningful amount of time to talk to them?
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2069 on: July 28, 2023, 01:44:52 PM »
[Do you get any meaningful amount of time to talk to them?
[/quote]

No. The M&Gs are usually very packed and well attended. Everything is just crammed. The guys sit at a table, signed 2-3 items..when that's done, you get the photo taken and that's it.

M&Gs with smaller bands are WAAY better. I wouldn't do the DT one again unless I had some rarity to get signed.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #2070 on: July 28, 2023, 01:49:24 PM »
The funny thing is, people on Reddit on Facebook aren't as brutal and ruthless as you're painting them to be, either. They're just saying: Wow, James can't sing anymore. DT needs a new singer (because they care for DT and want to see them put out quality?)
I don't know why I'm jumping into this absolute rollercoaster of a thread, but in my opinion, "DT needs a new singer" and "I care for DT" don't really seem to go together. James is simply too important to their core identity and sound. I also personally want to see each and every member of the band do well and feel supported by the fanbase. Constructive criticism is fair game but there are so many other things they could try to help James out, rather than sacking him. And frankly, if they did sack him, I'm not sure I would have much interest in their music going forward (an opinion that I know is shared by others as well).

Totally disagree. I believe both of those things. Been a huge fan since Images but listening to them live not is just not enjoyable anymore. Look, singing like he does takes its toll. Like most singers, his vocal cords have degraded over time. It is what it is. There isn't a fix for that. And to the people saying it's because of cell phone audio - did cell phones make Devin sound great and James sound pitchy? Did cell phones make Devin blow James off the stage on TSCO? No they didn't. I really wonder what's going through JPs mind after hearing Devin sing night after night.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 02:57:51 PM by smegolas »

• PR permission
« Reply #2071 on: July 28, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »
[Do you get any meaningful amount of time to talk to them?

No. The M&Gs are usually very packed and well attended. Everything is just crammed. The guys sit at a table, signed 2-3 items..when that's done, you get the photo taken and that's it.

M&Gs with smaller bands are WAAY better. I wouldn't do the DT one again unless I had some rarity to get signed.
[/quote]

How much did they charge for something like that if you don't mind my asking?
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2072 on: July 28, 2023, 02:10:16 PM »
Dream Theater charged $300 for the one I went to (Astonishing tour).

I've gotten M&Gs with Fates Warning, Tesseract, Haken, Symphony X for 100 bucks plus the concert ticket. But since they are very small, about 10-20 people at the most, you spend very good time talking to them. It's about an hour long on average. The Fates one included a 30 min soundcheck plus the 1 hr M&G.

• PR permission
« Reply #2073 on: July 28, 2023, 02:39:04 PM »

I've gotten M&Gs with Fates Warning, Tesseract, Haken, Symphony X for 100 bucks plus the concert ticket. But since they are very small, about 10-20 people at the most, you spend very good time talking to them. It's about an hour long on average. The Fates one included a 30 min soundcheck plus the 1 hr M&G.

Interesting. I've done M&G once with another act and we were pretty much told to just surround the guy and he'll twirl in a circle signing 1-2 items and then you're done. Only up side to that was that it came with a front row ticket, which I am assuming does not happen all the time with DT. Live Nation was the organizer if I am not mistaken and the guy they sent was totally useless.

I would do that for DT if it were in any way not done so egregiously. I guess we'll see what ends up happening in the future.

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #2074 on: July 28, 2023, 05:01:45 PM »
The funny thing is, people on Reddit on Facebook aren't as brutal and ruthless as you're painting them to be, either. They're just saying: Wow, James can't sing anymore. DT needs a new singer (because they care for DT and want to see them put out quality?)
I don't know why I'm jumping into this absolute rollercoaster of a thread, but in my opinion, "DT needs a new singer" and "I care for DT" don't really seem to go together. James is simply too important to their core identity and sound. I also personally want to see each and every member of the band do well and feel supported by the fanbase. Constructive criticism is fair game but there are so many other things they could try to help James out, rather than sacking him. And frankly, if they did sack him, I'm not sure I would have much interest in their music going forward (an opinion that I know is shared by others as well).

Totally disagree. I believe both of those things. Been a huge fan since Images but listening to them live not is just not enjoyable anymore. Look, singing like he does takes its toll. Like most singers, his vocal cords have degraded over time. It is what it is. There isn't a fix for that. And to the people saying it's because of cell phone audio - did cell phones make Devin sound great and James sound pitchy? Did cell phones make Devin blow James off the stage on TSCO? No they didn't. I really wonder what's going through JPs mind after hearing Devin sing night after night.

100% agree!  You can’t judge anything from a 4K cell phone video.  Those comments kill me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: July 28, 2023, 05:05:18 PM »

I have never done a paid meet and greet before, but it's no surprise the price difference / experience between bands. I've loved the Progpower meet and greets though which are included with a ticket to the festival where I've met MP (and many others) before.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2076 on: July 28, 2023, 05:24:25 PM »

Cool story and review! So did MP dedicate it over the PA or was it more like a mental personal dedication before they played it? Either way, very cool of MP.
He did it personally with me during the pre-show M&G, and JR (sitting next to him who heard what he said) acknowledged it too.  I was in the front row, and when they started playing it, MP pointed to me and then to the sky, and I gave him a hand over my heart and pointed back.  Definitely an emotional gesture that still means so much to me to this day.

Wow. That's incredible! Very moving.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2077 on: July 28, 2023, 09:49:57 PM »

I'm so glad this tour is over if for no other reason than this tired assertion will cease to show up in posts. 🙄

Nobody blew anyone else off the stage. These singers are simply different, as different as night and day. Haven't we been through this one enough, like ten pages ago?  I can appreciate that you may prefer other singers but to continue this comparison is so last month 🙄 lol already let's move past it.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2078 on: July 28, 2023, 09:54:04 PM »
Devin did WHAT to James off the stage?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2079 on: July 28, 2023, 09:54:31 PM »
Here is a question about future tours since this did not happen on View or DreamSonic to my knowledge...if the guys offer Meet & Greet again would you do it? How have they handled it in the past? Do you get any meaningful amount of time to talk to them?

I would do it again yes. Last time was 2017. I thought it was worth it. You do get a couple of minutes to talk with each band member and have things signed. If you really want the chance to say something to them then yes, it's worth it. It's an opportunity that's been sadly missed since the pre-pandemic era.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #2080 on: July 28, 2023, 09:58:57 PM »

Just some hot Canadian on Canadian action

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2081 on: July 28, 2023, 10:23:10 PM »

Wow. That's incredible! Very moving.

It really is  :heart  There has been a lot of negativity in this thread and it's really good to read something as touching as this. Sorry, I'm not good with words when it comes to this stuff.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2082 on: July 28, 2023, 10:36:15 PM »

That was a genuine :lol to start my day!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2083 on: July 28, 2023, 11:22:01 PM »

I did the one on the D/T tour, I think like googoo said it was around $300, might've been cheaper. don't remember exact price. I got to spend at least a min or two with each member having them sign stuff. Small talk here and there.  You also meet them separately when you pose for the photo. I should've prepared a little better, when I met MP with the NMB I froze and just said I haven't seen him live since 2004 and he looks up and says 'well it's not like I haven't been touring that much since then.' lol
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: July 29, 2023, 02:14:21 AM »
That reminds me of when I took part in a fanclub meet and greet (free of charge) in Wolverhampton here in England in, what, 2007?

I'd taken the Score DVD insert for the band to sign. Got to Mike. "I was there!", I said excitedly. "So was I!", replied Mike, deliberately matching my excitement. Natch :biggrin:

At the same meet and greet, I remember JP, James and Jordan being completely disinterested. John Myung established eye contact, thanked me for being there, and shook my hand as if I was personally and solely responsible for his (presumably comfortable) lifestyle.

But would I pay for the experience? I'd have to say no to that, and certainly not for a couple of hundred pounds.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 05:37:32 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2085 on: July 29, 2023, 04:30:00 AM »
I should've prepared a little better, when I met MP with the NMB I froze

Yes, definitely prepare! My husband didn't and when he finally met his favorite guitarist of all time, the same thing happened. Somebody else was also pushing something in front of him to sign rudely out of turn, which kinda stole some of his moment. He's wanted a do-over since then so we'll make it happen.

I prepared, a lot, for the moment I met James. Like, two weeks of mental preparation, knowing exactly what I was gonna say about his impact in my life. This is my Angel of Music we're talking about, after all ✨ The band was seated in a row behind the table, each of them was very lovely and personable in their own way. At the very end of the table there sat James, and I was ready. Totally surreal moment I'll remember for the rest of my life.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 04:46:43 AM by crystalstars17 »

Offline MrMike

« Reply #2086 on: July 30, 2023, 12:08:51 PM »
I uploaded a 12 minute video of Dreamsonic opening night highlights from my front row perspective for anyone who's interested in checking it out.  Since I was right in front of JP and he's my favorite player, he is featured quite heavily.  Basically an overview of the entire set and encore with some of my favorite musical moments.

https://youtu.be/8A2Bicw-K74

• PR permission
« Reply #2087 on: July 30, 2023, 06:28:34 PM »
Steve Vai is doing a meet and greet packages that includes a front 2 row seat, m&g with photo, invitation to a pre-show conversation, invitation to soundcheck, and tour of his gear. Now THAT is something I wouldn't think twice about doing for DT...wonder if they could ever make it a little more personal for $300 or even $500.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2088 on: July 31, 2023, 03:17:21 AM »

That's amazing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2089 on: July 31, 2023, 09:06:54 AM »

Before DT did regular Meet and Greet packages, my mom would sweet talk security at the Oakdale into letting me and my sister meet Dream Theater after the show. It worked twice.

Thanks mom!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2090 on: July 31, 2023, 12:36:50 PM »

Before DT did regular Meet and Greet packages, my mom would sweet talk security at the Oakdale into letting me and my sister meet Dream Theater after the show. It worked twice.

Thanks mom!

😄 What an amazing mom!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2091 on: July 31, 2023, 06:37:53 PM »

Ha ha. Yeah, she is the best. She also got me and my sis tickets to the Score concert at Radio City which is one of my favorite Dream Theater memories ever. My mom also still goes to DT concerts!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: August 01, 2023, 06:17:49 PM »
I wonder if DT ever considered naming this ProgSonic instead of DreamSonic. It flows better, in my opinion, with the "o" sounds in "prog" and "sonic." It also tells you what the musical event is all about right in the title: prog.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2093 on: August 02, 2023, 07:33:54 AM »
I wonder if DT ever considered naming this ProgSonic instead of DreamSonic. It flows better, in my opinion, with the "o" sounds in "prog" and "sonic." It also tells you what the musical event is all about right in the title: prog.

I get that, but it would be too close to "Prognation".  And I'm sure they like "DreamSonic" because it incorporated part of their name.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2094 on: August 02, 2023, 11:19:15 AM »
Just to clarify some of the doubts people had a few posts ago, an interview with JP that I linked here a while back discussed the DreamSonic every year vs regular touring thing. Petrucci said that they definitely want to tour on their own (even mentioned evening with tours) and that he doesn't think DreamSonic will be an annual tour, but once every few years whenever it fits their desired schedules.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kram

« Reply #2095 on: August 02, 2023, 04:48:43 PM »
Just to clarify some of the doubts people had a few posts ago, an interview with JP that I linked here a while back discussed the DreamSonic every year vs regular touring thing. Petrucci said that they definitely want to tour on their own (even mentioned evening with tours) and that he doesn't think DreamSonic will be an annual tour, but once every few years whenever it fits their desired schedules.
Great!  That's what I want to hear - especially the part about some more "Evening with" tours!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2096 on: August 02, 2023, 05:11:08 PM »
Great!  That's what I want to hear - especially the part about some more "Evening with" tours!

💯

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #2097 on: August 04, 2023, 07:39:00 AM »
Hey there fellow Dream Theater fans! Thanks for finally accepting my registration, it took a while hence me posting here after the tour finished.

Man, it's been too long since I've seen the boys rock the stage live. Living abroad has its perks, but one major downside for me is missing out on Dream Theater concerts for sure. I've been a devoted fan for years and not being able to catch them (and the other bands of course!) at Dreamsonic is a real bummer.

I've been thinking a lot lately about James LaBrie's vocal issues discussed at length here, it's tough to see him going through these struggles. James has been such a vital part of the band, and his voice has brought so much emotion and power to their music. Despite these difficulties, I remain hopeful that with the right care and support James will overcome these hurdles. Dream Theater's music has meant so much to me and probably to most of you, so I think we should be rooting for him to get at least some of his live ability back.

Anyway for now, I'll have to content myself with watching their live concerts online - thanks everyone posted them. Thank goodness for technology, right? It's not the same as being there in person, but it's better than nothing. I do hope that one day they'll schedule dreamsonic for Europe because I love the concept.

Rock on, everyone! 🤘

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2098 on: August 04, 2023, 09:03:12 AM »
Welcome to DTF, PMS!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2099 on: August 04, 2023, 09:21:16 AM »
Welcome to DTF, PMS!
Maybe use Summer instead  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk