Author Topic: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers  (Read 72368 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers
« Reply #2835 on: February 12, 2024, 07:56:00 AM »
The morning after.... Sigh....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2836 on: February 12, 2024, 07:57:18 AM »
Pain.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2838 on: February 12, 2024, 08:07:36 AM »
My question is, are we (the forum, the nation, the media) really going to let Travis get away with that? A very inappropriate moment, that would have gotten a lesser player cut.
That's the key.

There have always been certain situations where certain players have more leeway with certain coaches.  Andy Reid was OK with it after the game, so I'm OK with it.

When it was happening, it looked to me like Reid was just ignoring him.  He's put up with this whiny shit before, I'd guess, and this is the relationship they have.  Privately he might have said something to him afterwards.  Or maybe not.

The hands/shoving seemed way worse to me. Mahomes talked about the beginning of a Dynasty after the game, but you can't build a culture like what BB had in New England if you've got players with that amount of gal getting up in coach's face and practically shoving him. What message does that send to the rookies in the building?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2839 on: February 12, 2024, 08:09:39 AM »
My question is, are we (the forum, the nation, the media) really going to let Travis get away with that? A very inappropriate moment, that would have gotten a lesser player cut.
That's the key.

There have always been certain situations where certain players have more leeway with certain coaches.  Andy Reid was OK with it after the game, so I'm OK with it.

When it was happening, it looked to me like Reid was just ignoring him.  He's put up with this whiny shit before, I'd guess, and this is the relationship they have.  Privately he might have said something to him afterwards.  Or maybe not.

The hands/shoving seemed way worse to me. Mahomes talked about the beginning of a Dynasty after the game, but you can't build a culture like what BB had in New England if you've got players with that amount of gal getting up in coach's face and practically shoving him. What message does that send to the rookies in the building?
It's pretty clear that they don't have a culture like what BB had in New England, and that isn't their goal.  Andy Reid has never run his teams like Belichick did.  He's an entirely different person, and this is an entirely different culture, and no less of a success.

You are WAY overthinking this, IMO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2840 on: February 12, 2024, 08:11:25 AM »
Thought the game was fairly boring snoozefest until the 4th quarter, it seemed every time there was a big play or momentum, a penalty or turnover just killed it.  The commercials were mostly meh and the half time show was just OK.  Luckily we got a great ending and we also started watching the Nickelodeon version in the second half which was significantly more entertaining. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2841 on: February 12, 2024, 08:21:27 AM »
I think you guys are WAY overreacting on the Kelce/Reid dustup.

It didn't bother me.  Kelce was on the sidelines during a play that didn't go well for the Chiefs and he was just making a point to keep him in the game more often to make a difference.  He might not have done it in a regular season game, but it's the Super Bowl and he can get angry with the coach for a good reason - he's one of their stars. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2842 on: February 12, 2024, 08:22:39 AM »
Thought the game was fairly boring snoozefest until the 4th quarter, it seemed every time there was a big play or momentum, a penalty or turnover just killed it.  The commercials were mostly meh and the half time show was just OK.  Luckily we got a great ending and we also started watching the Nickelodeon version in the second half which was significantly more entertaining.

I didn't watch the Nickelodeon broadcast, but I agree with the rest.  I was amazed that full movie trailers weren't shown - production companies opted for 30 second spots (which would be cheaper) and just said "full trailer now online."   I think that's lame as hell. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2843 on: February 12, 2024, 08:47:42 AM »
Full trailers these days are two minutes, two and a half, sometimes longer.  That's a damned expensive spot.  I agree that it was kinda lame to show "a trailer for a trailer" but I understand the economic decision.  Also, I don't really watch trailers anyway.  These days, they're too full of spoilers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2844 on: February 12, 2024, 08:52:11 AM »
Pain.

:hug:

Heard a great line on KNBR on the drive in this morning, along the lines of:  Sometimes, you might be one of the best to play in your era, like Barkley or Malone, but the problem is, you're playing in Jordan's era.  Can't argue with that sentiment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2845 on: February 12, 2024, 08:55:54 AM »

I didn't watch the Nickelodeon broadcast, but I agree with the rest.  I was amazed that full movie trailers weren't shown - production companies opted for 30 second spots (which would be cheaper) and just said "full trailer now online."   I think that's lame as hell. 

I didn't care for it even if it makes financial sense, but I can say, that one person watching wiht me last night immediately pulled their phone out to watcha  trailer after the commercial. So I know there is a sample point that it worked. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2846 on: February 12, 2024, 09:01:09 AM »
I heard Dragon whooping from CT when Queen came on (even if it was a commercial for Big Tech).

That was probably Mrs. DA, as I was outside with the dog at the time.  :lol   And Tim even knows of  ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ after the discography   ;)

I am ‘swifted out’ after having to deal with all of it around here before and after the Ravens game, and then all the views last night.  As I told me wife weeks ago, “If Freddie Mercury were alive, I’d be sick of him as well.” She finally ‘got it’. 

On to the game:  wow, what was the basic first half:  3-5 plays, punt or fumble, and then 2-3 minutes of insufferable commercials after every possession? 

Movin on....

First, ‘all things being equal, the 49ers win’ was my prediction.  They lost three fumbles all year, but McCaffrey has one on the first drive (first since Week 7) and then the big ‘mo’ changer on the punt (if the returner just tries to fall on the ball, but……).  Up to that point, the Chiefs average starting possession was their own 19, with the best being their own 27 (the next three would start at their 25). NIne possessions:  one FG, one fumble, one INT, and five ‘three and outs’, one four play possession before their six punts.  206 total net yardage (penalties included) with 50+ coming on one pass before their lost fumble.   And yet it was still only 10-3.  Kudos yet again to KC’s defense.  Especially after the INT.  Five or six yards, and SF’s trying a FG or going for it, but….

After that ST error  …gutsy for the 49ers to go for it when it was 4th and 3.  But then a crucial blocked PAT on a bad kick by Moody….who held the record for longest SB FG for less than two quarters.

SF:  Other than after the INT, their average starting possession was their own 22, the best being their own 36. 

Coin toss options:  take the ball first.  The 49ers defense was gassed, having just given up two long drives.  Block Chris Jones on 3rd down, and you get an easy TD.  But.....

The  4th and 4:  smart choice to kick the FG.  Just stop the Chiefs and win.  Hold them to a FG, and you get a chance to win with a FG.   But….

Dre Greenlaw:  what a fluke injury!  The football gods giveth, and they sure can cruelly frickin taketh away.

Officiating:  one blatant hold on a 49er sweep right not called, but other than that, nothing else seemed visible or apparent to my unbiased eyes. 

Squares:  whoever had KC 3-0 won the second and third quarters.  I won two in the SF-Denver blowout, and two for the second Dallas-Buffalo game.  Not even close this year, even with the +1s for each quarter thrown in.   <sigh>

I also said that I’d take the Niners unless #15 had the ball in his hands last.  Well….I was correct on that account. 

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2847 on: February 12, 2024, 09:10:52 AM »
Officiating:  one blatant hold on a 49er sweep right not called, but other than that, nothing else seemed visible or apparent to my unbiased eyes. 

There was another on a play where the Chiefs got a first down after Mahomes narrowly escaped Bosa who was fighting through a choke hold by whichever Chiefs offensive lineman that was.  But overall, yeah, the officiating was not bad from what I saw.

Coin toss options:  take the ball first.  The 49ers defense was gassed, having just given up two long drives.  Block Chris Jones on 3rd down, and you get an easy TD.  But..... 

Agreed.  I don't think the overtime strategy is anywhere nearly as egregious as some are making it out to be. 

Dre Greenlaw:  what a fluke injury!  The football gods giveth, and they sure can cruelly frickin taketh away. 

Apparently, he had been fighting through tendonitis and was playing in a lot of pain before that, but it was just being kept under wraps.  So unfortunate, and I feel awful for him.  He was lock-down on Kelce for the entire first half.  After he went out, Reid smartly started attacking that part of the field and got results doing it.  Flannigan-Fowles wasn't bad, but wasn't Greenlaw either. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2848 on: February 12, 2024, 09:29:40 AM »
That's the key.

It's pretty clear that they don't have a culture like what BB had in New England, and that isn't their goal.  Andy Reid has never run his teams like Belichick did.  He's an entirely different person, and this is an entirely different culture, and no less of a success.

You are WAY overthinking this, IMO.

No I understand that. You're not getting it.

A player can NOT shove or even put hands on a coach like that. Bitch away on the sidelines, throw a helmet/tablet, whatever. A shove like that on another player woulda been bad. On a coach, far worse. A victory here smoothens out some troubling signs. Kelce has gotten way too big of a head, and it's going to manifest uglier than this if it keeps going this way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2849 on: February 12, 2024, 09:35:06 AM »
^I agree, Skeever.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2850 on: February 12, 2024, 09:35:23 AM »
You're not getting it.
I am definitely getting your point.

A player can NOT shove or even put hands on a coach like that. Bitch away on the sidelines, throw a helmet/tablet, whatever. A shove like that on another player woulda been bad. On a coach, far worse. A victory here smoothens out some troubling signs. Kelce has gotten way too big of a head, and it's going to manifest uglier than this if it keeps going this way.
I just think you are WAY overreacting to this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2851 on: February 12, 2024, 09:51:28 AM »
I don't think it's an over reaction.  Putting your hands on your coach is a big no no.  It's getting looked over because they won and who touched Reid. Well, I don't even think it's getting looked over. It was immediately a huge meme  :lol I'm not sure I can take that action and correlate it to the team as a whole though.  Maybe, I just don't follow the team or have any insights into the locker room.  I would imagine stuff like that to not go over well if they lost or were consistently losing, but winning cures all problems.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2852 on: February 12, 2024, 09:54:43 AM »
Can you imagine what would happen if Ditka was the coach? He'd probably unscrew his helmet with his head still inside it :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2853 on: February 12, 2024, 10:06:02 AM »
I don't think it's an over reaction.  Putting your hands on your coach is a big no no.  It's getting looked over because they won and who touched Reid. Well, I don't even think it's getting looked over. It was immediately a huge meme  :lol I'm not sure I can take that action and correlate it to the team as a whole though.  Maybe, I just don't follow the team or have any insights into the locker room.  I would imagine stuff like that to not go over well if they lost or were consistently losing, but winning cures all problems.

It 100% was crap…..it’s alright to be upset about ‘x’ thing…..but the lack of respect he showed Reid and him undermining his authority by whining/crying/screaming at him was one thing…..but he also physically bumped him at the same time…..undoubtably to intimidate and/or fulfill whatever ego urge he had going.

Dude is an absolute baby, self centered narcissist and it was on prime display. F him and his side show of a life that we’re all essentially forced to watch everywhere we turn in the media. Hopefully this throws some water on the whole deal and he just goes away.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2854 on: February 12, 2024, 10:07:49 AM »
Kelce should be cited and tried for elder abuse, he could have killed him. Dude is a 30 something incredible hulk (complete with temper issue) and put his hands on a 65 year old man. Absolutely unconscionable
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2855 on: February 12, 2024, 10:12:17 AM »
Kelce should be cited and tried for elder abuse, he could have killed him. Dude is a 30 something incredible hulk (complete with temper issue) and put his hands on a 65 year old man. Absolutely unconscionable

Don't know if serious. No green font.

Welcome to the forum.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2856 on: February 12, 2024, 10:18:05 AM »
Yeah, really don't get why it's an overreaction to be disappointed with him. He's been on all the commercials, he's dating Taylor Swift the government paid him Millions to be their spokesperson for getting your covid vaccine and your flu shot. And it turns out that he's just not capable of being a good role model even in the one place where he's supposed to be one.

I came into the season rooting for the Chiefs to start their dynasty in earnest because I like seeing excellence when it's there. I was not looking for trouble but here we go, the guy who punched his teammate in practice, through his helmet on christmas, and now shoved his coach. Total punkass.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2857 on: February 12, 2024, 10:20:39 AM »

Ya HS…in this day and age it’s not like it used to be. I mean, I think this post is absolutely hilarious, but I get how we live in a society where you have to type it in green when you use satire like that.

In any event. Back to reality, I saw the “shove” if you can even call it that. Andy Reid admitted after the game that he was just off balance when kelce happened to bump him while he was in the process of passionately stating he wanted to play.

No harm done. I see no issues.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

« Reply #2858 on: February 12, 2024, 10:27:49 AM »
i went through the trouble of writing a Parody of Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" about the incident

(Verse 1)
Once upon a Super Bowl, in a stadium so grand,
Travis Kelce on the field, with a game plan in his hand.
But in a moment of chaos, tension in the air,
He pushed his coach, Andy Reid, in a moment so rare.

(Pre-Chorus)
Oh, Kelce, Kelce, what were you thinking?
In the heat of the game, emotions were sinking.
A shove on the sideline, like a thunderous bubble,
In the Super Bowl chaos, causing quite some trouble.

(Chorus)
I knew you were trouble when you pushed Reid,
In the Super Bowl frenzy, oh, what a misdeed.
The world watched as the drama unfurled,
A push in the game that rocked the sports world.

(Verse 2)
On the sideline drama, under the bright lights,
Kelce and Reid, caught in the Super Bowl fights.
A collision of egos, in the football arena,
But winning the game was the ultimate subpoena.

(Pre-Chorus)
Oh, Kelce, Kelce, a push and a shove,
In the Super Bowl battle, fueled by love.
Passions ran high, in that gridiron bubble,
A moment in time, causing quite some trouble.

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
The headlines screamed of the push and the brawl,
In the football saga, a moment for all.
But on the field, where legends are born,
Kelce and Reid, mended and worn.

(Verse 3)
In the aftermath, with the confetti's fall,
Kelce and Reid, standing tall.
A lesson learned in the Super Bowl's huddle,
In the game of redemption, a moment, not a fumble.

(Pre-Chorus)
Oh, Kelce, Kelce, emotions in the game,
In the Super Bowl story, a chapter with a name.
A push on the sideline, a stumble,
In the gridiron drama, a moment to humble.

(Chorus)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2859 on: February 12, 2024, 10:34:09 AM »
Does anyone even see a realistic path where KC can win this game?

I haven't been on this thread since last Friday.  This was the first post in the feed when I opened it this morning, and I nearly did a spit take.  Even before the game, this might be the worst take ever.   :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

« Reply #2860 on: February 12, 2024, 10:34:53 AM »

I haven't been on this thread since last Friday.  This was the first post in the feed when I opened it this morning, and I nearly did a spit take.  Even before the game, this might be the worst take ever.   :lol :lol

you know what they say.. pride goeth before the fall
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2861 on: February 12, 2024, 10:48:13 AM »

Yeah, that doesn't mean what you think that means.

Anyhow, nah, I disagree.  There really isn't an articulable reason why KC should have won that game, and the fact that they did doesn't somehow change anything in retrospect.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2862 on: February 12, 2024, 11:07:37 AM »

Anyhow, nah, I disagree.  There really isn't an articulable reason why KC should have won that game, and the fact that they did doesn't somehow change anything in retrospect.

You mean aside from the fact that they did?

« Reply #2863 on: February 12, 2024, 11:08:30 AM »

i think they won because they scored more points. seems pretty straightforward to me
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2864 on: February 12, 2024, 11:10:19 AM »

Umm, I disagree bigly:)

I'm not sure if you're serious or joking though so I'll stop typing now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2865 on: February 12, 2024, 11:20:51 AM »
FFS he didn't attack and beat the guy.  He bumped into him (which he definitely should not have done) which looked worse than it was because Reid was off balance.  Reid is OK, and OK with what happened, and it's not something that happens on the regular and is definitely out of the ordinary. 

Not everything has to be a point of outrage.  It was an unfortunate issue, and it's over, and everyone directly involved has moved past it, so I don't know why anyone else wouldn't.

« Reply #2866 on: February 12, 2024, 11:23:04 AM »
i think it's definitely possible there is pressure on Reid to not make a big fuss because Mr Star Tight End.

i'll drop it if nobody else is as bothered by it as I am but it was definitely outrageous and if a normal, not uber popular wealthy person shoved their boss they'd be immediately fired. seems only right for there to be consequences here as well, but i know us Americans love to excuse our betters for their misdeeds we get punished for regularly :)
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2867 on: February 12, 2024, 11:23:10 AM »

It 100% was crap…..it’s alright to be upset about ‘x’ thing…..but the lack of respect he showed Reid and him undermining his authority by whining/crying/screaming at him was one thing…..but he also physically bumped him at the same time…..undoubtably to intimidate and/or fulfill whatever ego urge he had going.

Dude is an absolute baby, self centered narcissist and it was on prime display. F him and his side show of a life that we’re all essentially forced to watch everywhere we turn in the media. Hopefully this throws some water on the whole deal and he just goes away.

Yeah, I'm with you on that last part.  Okay, he's a great football player, maybe one of the greatest tight ends to play the game... does that mean he operates under different rules?  I know some coaches act that way - what Bill Parcells let LT get away with was, quite literally, criminal - but there's a line.  I get it they win a lot and they're a dynasty (no sarcasm) but they ARE a bunch of whining babies when things don't go their way.  We still don't know what Belichick benched Malcolm Butler for, but he was willing to give up a Super Bowl for the greater good.  That's clearly not the case in the City of Kansas.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2868 on: February 12, 2024, 11:25:10 AM »
FFS he didn't attack and beat the guy.  He bumped into him (which he definitely should not have done) which looked worse than it was because Reid was off balance.  Reid is OK, and OK with what happened, and it's not something that happens on the regular and is definitely out of the ordinary. 

Not everything has to be a point of outrage.  It was an unfortunate issue, and it's over, and everyone directly involved has moved past it, so I don't know why anyone else wouldn't.

That's the point for me; it DOES seem to happen on the regular.  He's a big man baby in terms of controlling his emotions.

We actually don't know that "everyone directly involved has moved past it".   It's the euphoria of success, and that has it's moment, but I'm not 100% certain that it's over behind the scenes.  Then again, with Reid... you never know.

« Reply #2869 on: February 12, 2024, 11:25:49 AM »
Welcome to the Forums!