Author Topic: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers  (Read 72174 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers
« Reply #2695 on: February 09, 2024, 06:38:32 AM »
So.......anyone watch the NFL awards ceremony last night?

For fuck's sake.  I turned it on after the Bruins annihilated the so-called "best team in hockey" 4-0 in a game that wasn't at all close, and I watched it for about 20 minutes or so, and, sick of the "wokeness"*, turned to the weather.   59 degrees Saturday, yay!.  Went back hoping to see the Hall of Fame inductees, which I did, along with a hilarious bit with Kyle "I need oxygen!" Brandt, and a Penn and Teller bit that could have been better if Roger Goodell was a better actor and Keenan-Michael Peele was funnier but was all sandwiched between more "wokeness"*, then sick of that again, went to take a crap, thinking I would come back to see the MVP announcement.  Sitting on the can, I get the news text that Lamar is our MVP, so I missed it... I get back, watch the In Memoriam, and about five more minutes of "wokeness"* before I got tired of it all and went to play Assassin's Creed.

Now, look; "wokeness" is in quotes. It wasn't "woke", not in any sense of the word.  I'm using that to make a point about the content; it was a lot of non-football, off-the-field activism stuff. All GOOD stuff, for sure; I have no beef with the work being done, I have beef with the back-slapping and self-congratulatory nature of all of it.  "Look how great we are!"  I get it, the NFL is trying to show a dedication "to the community" (which has, for better or worse, taken on a connotation in the context we're talking about) but it was a LOT, and it was relentless.  Gayle King, Ray Lewis "preaching" (in the oratorial sense of the word), the LahainaLuna football team, the "Change" award, the "Man of the Year" award... only Christian McAffrey (Offensive Player of the Year) kept it on the field and in the locker room.

I don't know; call me TAC, but I just wanted some relief from the world.  From Trump, from Biden, from Amendment 14, from Supreme Courts, from Michelle Troconis and Fotis Dulos, from politics, from "the right side of history", from all that, and just enjoy some football before the biggest game of the year, but no luck. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: February 09, 2024, 06:42:35 AM »
Imagine a football thread free of someone complaining about politics. Call me TAC, but I just want some relief from the world.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: February 09, 2024, 06:48:35 AM »
Imagine a football thread free of someone complaining about politics. Call me TAC, but I just want some relief from the world.

Good thing I was complaining about the NFL Awards Show and the NFL.  In the NFL thread.

Sorry, but I think I'm good on topic.  Moreso than social activism at a NFL awards show, anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2698 on: February 09, 2024, 07:26:35 AM »
I won't comment on the content specifically, because I only watched bits and pieces of the show.

But it was a 2 or 3 hour show, and there aren't that many awards to give out.  It's not the Grammys or the Oscars, but it was still that big of a production, and it has been for years.  By the very nature of physics, there was going to be a lot of filler included.

Which is why I never watch the show, other than ducking in here and there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2699 on: February 09, 2024, 07:57:57 AM »
Honestly? I think I'm just salty that the ONE THING I wanted to see - the MVP - and I was sitting on the crapper.   ;) :) :) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2700 on: February 09, 2024, 08:22:17 AM »
Honestly? I think I'm just salty that the ONE THING I wanted to see - the MVP - and I was sitting on the crapper.   ;) :) :) :)
:lol

BTW shout-out to Julius Peppers and Devin Hester making the Hall of Fame!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2701 on: February 09, 2024, 09:03:30 AM »
Lol stoners.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2702 on: February 09, 2024, 09:12:53 AM »
How did I get dragged into this? Twice? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: February 09, 2024, 09:41:38 AM »
I stopped reading Stadler's post when I saw the words "hilarious" and Kyle Brandt in the same sentence.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline emtee

« Reply #2704 on: February 09, 2024, 09:53:54 AM »
KC 31
SF 24

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: February 09, 2024, 10:38:39 AM »
I stopped reading Stadler's post when I saw the words "hilarious" and Kyle Brandt in the same sentence.

I don't know the guy and had never seen his schtick before... I can imagine it wears thin REALLY quick.  But in the moment, with all that was going on around it, including the bad acting by Roger Goodell (for fuck's sake, man, don't give up the day job), it was RELATIVELY funny, and at least football related. How's that?  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2706 on: February 09, 2024, 11:11:37 AM »

Nope.  Didn't know it was on and probably wouldn't have watched even if I had.

My kids came out of his room at one point and told me that Devin Hester made the HOF.  My initial reaction was to wonder if he really was deserving (my sense being that his peak was relatively short), but I don't recall his numbers specifically.  I hope that the election of a guy solely because of his special special teams work bodes well for guys like Steve Tasker and Matthew Slater.

The highlight of the inductees for me was Randy Gradishar.  He was the leader of the original Orange Crush defense that first hooked me into being a Broncos fan.  I'd never looked at his numbers, but I always felt like he was a HOF'er, as did the Broncos fan base, but we're all super biased.  That said, when the notorious asshole Woody Hayes calls a guy "the finest linebacker I ever coached," it kinda has to mean something.  Most of the rest of the names seem pretty deserving, but I honestly can't recall a single thing about Patrick Willis (other than that I recognize his name).

I think I'm just salty that the ONE THING I wanted to see - the MVP - and I was sitting on the crapper.   ;) :) :) :)

Your DVR doesn't have a pause button?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2707 on: February 09, 2024, 11:22:48 AM »
I hope that the election of a guy solely because of his special special teams work bodes well for guys like Steve Tasker and Matthew Slater.
Doubtful.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2708 on: February 09, 2024, 11:57:59 AM »
I think I'm just salty that the ONE THING I wanted to see - the MVP - and I was sitting on the crapper.   ;) :) :) :)

Seeing how Stadler said he's just like TAC, I doubt he knows what a DVR is. ;D
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2709 on: February 09, 2024, 12:11:22 PM »

Seeing how Stadler said he's just like TAC, I doubt he knows what a DVR is. ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2710 on: February 09, 2024, 12:57:54 PM »
I know what a damn DVR is! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2711 on: February 09, 2024, 01:00:41 PM »
A Betamax, too!  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2712 on: February 09, 2024, 01:02:45 PM »
A Betamax, too!  :lol

hah! We never had that. Just VHS.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: February 09, 2024, 01:11:31 PM »

Nope.  Didn't know it was on and probably wouldn't have watched even if I had.

My kids came out of his room at one point and told me that Devin Hester made the HOF.  My initial reaction was to wonder if he really was deserving (my sense being that his peak was relatively short), but I don't recall his numbers specifically.  I hope that the election of a guy solely because of his special special teams work bodes well for guys like Steve Tasker and Matthew Slater.

The highlight of the inductees for me was Randy Gradishar.  He was the leader of the original Orange Crush defense that first hooked me into being a Broncos fan.  I'd never looked at his numbers, but I always felt like he was a HOF'er, as did the Broncos fan base, but we're all super biased.  That said, when the notorious asshole Woody Hayes calls a guy "the finest linebacker I ever coached," it kinda has to mean something.  Most of the rest of the names seem pretty deserving, but I honestly can't recall a single thing about Patrick Willis (other than that I recognize his name).

You got me beat; I had to Google "Patrick Willis".   Honestly never heard of him.

Yeah, I have a pause button for my DVR. It's called "my stepson".  :).   I kid.  I know what it is and how to work it; I just forget.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2714 on: February 09, 2024, 02:03:06 PM »
Call me TAC, but I just want some relief from threads where TAC is brought into this - twice.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2715 on: February 09, 2024, 10:33:46 PM »
In defense of Stadler and TAC, it’s seriously been so long since I’ve watched live TV that honestly forgot that I even HAVE a DVR.

I’m about 99% either DVD/BluRay’s or streaming something.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: February 09, 2024, 11:18:10 PM »
I have never owned a DVR.

I remember for a few years we hosted a SB party, and I had to remind everyone we'd be watching it on broadcast TV, thus in real time. Invariably someone would always show up late and ask me to "start" the game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2717 on: February 10, 2024, 09:01:03 AM »
Does anyone even see a realistic path where KC can win this game?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2718 on: February 10, 2024, 09:10:01 AM »

Yes. KC has the better QB. Sure Purdy had better stats but KC didn't have to rely on Mahomes this year. I agree that SF looks like the dominant team but I ain't betting against Mahomes, I made that mistake betting against Brady.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2719 on: February 10, 2024, 09:10:01 AM »
As someone who loved having him on my fantasy team, how in the world was Antonio Gates not a first ballot-er? I'm more shocked of that than anything.

Happy for Hester. As someone who got to watch him every week and saw every one of those returns, I think he deserved it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 09:01:55 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online faizoff

« Reply #2720 on: February 10, 2024, 09:18:13 AM »
I too had Gates always on my fantasy team and would watch a lot of his games. He was a stud of a player and one of the best TEs in the league. Hester was a monster on punt and kickoff returns, you always knew he'd have a great return.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2721 on: February 10, 2024, 09:19:04 AM »

Stadler told me to tell you that it will be because of Mahomes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2722 on: February 10, 2024, 10:49:18 AM »
Probably everyone other than you can see such a path, boss.

I think that San Francisco has a better team top to bottom.  But the better team doesn't always win, and Mahomes is an X-Factor.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2723 on: February 10, 2024, 10:59:19 AM »

i think by getting more touchdowns than the other team
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2724 on: February 10, 2024, 11:09:01 AM »

Which they should be able to accomplish easily

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2725 on: February 10, 2024, 12:46:36 PM »

Facts!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2726 on: February 10, 2024, 12:49:57 PM »

Eh, not really.  I mean, sure, there are lots of fans saying "CHIEF WIN BC CHIEFs BETTER" or "CHIEFS WIN BC MAHOMES."  But for those doing actual analysis, I'm not hearing a lot in terms of likely scenarios where the Chiefs pull it off.  Which is why I am asking.  Based on what I have seen actual analysts saying, I'm not really seeing anything.  I guess based on the responses in the thread so far, none of you are either.

Which they should be able to accomplish easily

Well, duh, getting more touchdowns, yes.  But how is that actually likely?  That's my question.  Truth is, they don't normally get more touchdowns than the 49ers.  Their average points per game is well below that of the 49ers (a full touchdown difference).  And both teams shake out about the same over the entire season in terms of playing some really good defenses and some really bad defenses, so I think their numbers are comparable in that regard.  And the turnover differential is HUGELY in favor of the 49ers.  So I'm just not sure how "score more touchdowns" is a realistic thing to count on if I'm wanting to see KC win. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2727 on: February 10, 2024, 12:52:26 PM »
If the 49ers have a first half like they did against Detroit, they will not repeat the comeback.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2728 on: February 10, 2024, 01:01:02 PM »
I often feel analysis and stats go out the window for the most part when it's the superbowl. It's the team that makes that one less mistake than the other one who wins it. I mean how many of the previous ones have been so close and one play here or there becomes the difference. That's kinda why I don't really look into what is on paper on the teams before the game. It should be a great game and that's all I want.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2729 on: February 10, 2024, 01:17:44 PM »
If the 49ers have a first half like they did against Detroit, they will not repeat the comeback.

Oh, for sure.  If the '9ers have to make up a 3 score deficit against the KC defense, that's a REALLY big ask.  But I would just like to say that Detroit is a MUCH more explosive team on offense than KC.  KC hasn't really had a game this season where they jumped up on somebody and scored 24 points at the half.  KC hasn't done anything this season to make me think that is a likely outcome.

I often feel analysis and stats go out the window for the most part when it's the superbowl. It's the team that makes that one less mistake than the other one who wins it. I mean how many of the previous ones have been so close and one play here or there becomes the difference. That's kinda why I don't really look into what is on paper on the teams before the game. It should be a great game and that's all I want.

Yeah, that's a good point about stats, to an extent.  But this doesn't feel like one of those Super Bowls where the teams come in pretty evenly matched.  This seems like it's one of the more lopsides ones, so I'm not sure "one mistake" is likely to be the difference.  But on that note, an accumulation of mistakes very well could be.

To me, it's interesting to think about one important and often overlooked area where I think the teams actually match up quite evenly:  experience.  Both have a decent number of veterans who have been so at least one SB.  Both have lots of guys who are not.  If you go position by position, that's the one area where I'm a little nervous about Purdy.  I've heard a lot of people talk about how it can be overwhelming the first time, just given the media, the hype, and everything else that goes into that two week runup.  I tend to think he will be just fine.  But I can't say I'm as confident as I would like to be.

The other area I have less confidence than I would prefer is the SF defensive line.  Bosa, Armstead, and Hargrave should have an absolute FEAST (QB sacks, pressures leading to turnovers, and holding penalties) against one of the weakest offensive lines in the game, and that could really make this a lopsided game.  But it comes down to Chase Young, who has been really good at times, and at other times has really underperformed.  If he does the latter, that will be a weak spot that KC can exploit in both the run and pass games.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 02:19:44 PM by bosk1 »