Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 58311 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #805 on: November 29, 2023, 08:03:12 AM »
I've FINALLY put remedy to that glaring omission, and watched the two "original" movies, Terminator and also Judgement Day. Brilliant movies that absolutely stood the test of time (I can forgive them the weird stop-motion movements of the robot at the climax of the first movie).

The original Terminator is amazing.  Yeah, the stop-motion T-800 skeleton can take you out of it for a second, but at this point it's part of the charm.  T2 upped the budget and the action, but the whole sentient-unstoppable-liquid-metal thing was ridiculous.  I think I watched the next sequel or two, but there didn't seem to be any point; they made less and less sense as they went on.

Online faizoff

« Reply #806 on: November 29, 2023, 08:24:54 AM »
All the sequels are pretty terrible in one way or another, but somewhat enjoyable anyway (imo).  I don't think I'd ever go back and purposefully watch any of the sequels, but they were ok.

I feel the same way, all the sequels have some good things but overall as movies they are just ok. I remember Salvation being my least favorite. Dark Fate was probably my favorite of the bunch with T3 coming in close.

The first two are classics and like the first two Alien movies, The 1st part is more horror while the second is action oriented.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #807 on: November 29, 2023, 08:32:06 AM »
I'd argue T3 is a good film, it's just harshly judged because the two films before are stone cold classics.  Salvation and Genisys are pretty weak with Dark Fate being slightly better.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #808 on: November 29, 2023, 08:42:10 AM »
I'd argue T3 is a good film, it's just harshly judged because the two films before are stone cold classics.  Salvation and Genisys are pretty weak with Dark Fate being slightly better.

I agree with you 100%! T3 Rise of the Machines is a great movie and Dark Fate was well done and very enjoyable.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #809 on: November 29, 2023, 08:56:53 AM »

I agree with you 100%! T3 Rise of the Machines is a great movie and Dark Fate was well done and very enjoyable.

I can get on board with these posts.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: November 30, 2023, 05:49:05 AM »
I bet this is probably the last film you’d expect to get a 100% perfect score in Rotten Tomatoes. And before you scream heresy, this is far removed from the Hollywood characterization of the monster, this is a Japanese film, and number 37th in a franchise. And apparently, the best ever to come out from it:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_minus_one

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #811 on: December 01, 2023, 12:03:16 PM »
I've heard nothing but good things about Godzilla Minus One.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #812 on: December 01, 2023, 12:05:45 PM »

Might see it next weekend.  Too busy to see it this weekend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #813 on: December 01, 2023, 01:48:06 PM »

Same here, although I haven't really heard a lot, and most of it right here on DTF.  But I checked Rotten Tomatoes and wow, it's kicking some ass over there.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #814 on: December 01, 2023, 03:13:40 PM »
Best Christmas Ever.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #815 on: December 01, 2023, 05:43:04 PM »
saw The Lobster the other day, weird film lol

There's a few films coming out soon I wanna see, Godzilla is one of them. Another is Ellie, and then also Boy and the Heron obviously

still trying to catch Lanthimos films here and there tho, Killing of a Sacred Deer is in my sights next
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #816 on: December 02, 2023, 05:45:58 AM »

Saw it yesterday and totally understand why it got a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. You guys need to see that.

« Reply #817 on: December 02, 2023, 07:53:22 AM »
watched Killing of a Sacred Deer last night. Definitely the most straightforward YL film i've seen so far. Gotta just make time for The Favourite now before Poor Things

also my friend and I are catching Godzilla today, i think!
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #818 on: December 02, 2023, 06:09:28 PM »
wow, saw Godzilla. it truly doesn't get much better than that when it comes to disaster/monster movies. A+
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #819 on: December 02, 2023, 07:29:03 PM »
watched Killing of a Sacred Deer last night. Definitely the most straightforward YL film i've seen so far. Gotta just make time for The Favourite now before Poor Things
Watched that one a few years ago, dang what a tense and weird film.

Speaking of which, rewatched Primer last night. Still as confusing as the first time :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #820 on: December 04, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »
I watched a movie on Netflix over the weekend called Nowhere.  All I really knew going in is that it was a story about a whom lost at sea on/in a shipping container.  It piqued my curiosity, so I gave it a shot.  Without giving away too much, it started from a quasi-post-apocalyptic scenario, and the woman was pregnant.  It managed to keep my interest through nearly two hours, but just barely.  One thing that might bother some, but which I merely found odd was that almost everyone in the movie was supposed to be Spanish, but all spoke perfect English with barely a hint of an accent.  However, the woman wrote various things in Spanish, which the movie felt the need to translate through sub-titles.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

« Reply #821 on: December 04, 2023, 10:36:22 AM »
watched The Favourite (2018) and Alps (2011) last night. both YL films. both weird as hell but i kinda loved the Favourite
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #822 on: December 04, 2023, 11:13:53 AM »
Dad Crush.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #823 on: December 05, 2023, 05:57:04 AM »
Dad Crush.

Is this really the forum to be promoting Brazzers??   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #824 on: December 05, 2023, 10:06:46 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #825 on: December 05, 2023, 02:55:33 PM »
Dad Crush.

What's Brazzers Chad? :neverusethis:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #826 on: December 05, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
Dad Crush.

Hey, that's TAC's line!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #827 on: December 05, 2023, 03:53:26 PM »
Dad Crush.

Whatever you do, do NOT google that!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #828 on: December 05, 2023, 04:12:24 PM »
Or. Hide your credit card.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #829 on: December 05, 2023, 11:48:03 PM »
Finally got around to watching Nightmare Before Christmas a few weeks ago, a short 30 years after it came out.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #830 on: December 06, 2023, 05:23:40 AM »
Finally got around to watching Nightmare Before Christmas a few weeks ago, a short 30 years after it came out.

Well, not gonna judge you, until two months ago I never saw the two original Terminator movies  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #831 on: December 06, 2023, 06:53:58 AM »

What did you think?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #832 on: December 06, 2023, 09:44:07 AM »

I didn't see it when it came out.  I saw it around 2006ish and didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

I've also still never seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #833 on: December 06, 2023, 09:51:56 AM »
A lot of movies like that are products of their times.  Breaking conventions, introducing new technologies, etc., gives them an edge because it's new and different, so the experience overall already has that going for it.  If the story, script, and acting are at least good, you've got a hit.  Unfortunately, it's easy to look back on those same films and wonder what the fuss was all about.  I thought Nightmare was a weird (it is Tim Burton after all) but also very different and cool.  A twisted take on some widely-held mythology that no one really believes, but it's fun to buy into the lore just long enough to see it dissected.

Roger Rabbit is the same.  The interplay between live action and traditional animation is brilliant.  The story is weird, but holds together long enough to get you there.  The real star is the novelty of the movie itself, combining WB and Disney cartoon characters with live action.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #834 on: December 06, 2023, 10:42:50 AM »

What did you think?

Well, my 2-year old is now obsessed with the characters and standalone videos from the movie that are on YouTube.  I thought the visual effects were unbelievable..., I had no idea until I watched it that it was done using stop-motion.  Crazy.

The idea of merging Christmas and Halloween was awesome, which goes along with how cool the visuals and aesthetic of the film are.  I thought the plot itself was "meh."  Nothing to write home about.  I probably enjoyed the "making of" video more than the movie itself.

If I had seen it when I was 8, I'm sure I'd love it to this day.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #835 on: December 06, 2023, 11:23:51 AM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #836 on: December 06, 2023, 11:25:02 AM »
Dad Crush.

Whatever you do, do NOT google that!

Too late... A lot of blurry images popped up!?!?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #837 on: December 06, 2023, 11:57:21 AM »

I didn't see it when it came out.  I saw it around 2006ish and didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

I've also still never seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I've seen it as a kid and as an adult.

Go for it I'd say, as an adult you notice more technical things (the brilliant photography, the most "adult" parts of the plot etc), but it's still enjoyable and not really dated.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: December 06, 2023, 12:20:55 PM »
A lot of movies like that are products of their times.  Breaking conventions, introducing new technologies, etc., gives them an edge because it's new and different, so the experience overall already has that going for it.  If the story, script, and acting are at least good, you've got a hit.  Unfortunately, it's easy to look back on those same films and wonder what the fuss was all about.  I thought Nightmare was a weird (it is Tim Burton after all) but also very different and cool.  A twisted take on some widely-held mythology that no one really believes, but it's fun to buy into the lore just long enough to see it dissected.

It's not, actually.  His name is on it, because he's a Producer, and it's based on his original story idea.  But he neither directed it nor wrote the screenplay.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #839 on: December 06, 2023, 01:00:08 PM »
For a long time, I thought it was a Tim Burton film (as in he's the Director) but I did learn relatively recently that he's not.  So I double-checked IMDb before posting, and he is listed as first of the three Writers.  So I'll still give him the credit for how weird the story is.