Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 59434 times)

Offline 425

Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #840 on: June 23, 2022, 03:34:06 PM »
I mean, the chorus is a crucial element of a song, and if it's not good that really can short-circuit the rest. Octavarium is three times as long as Heaven Can Wait, but if the six seconds right at the climax weren't good, it would have negative impacts that redound through the entire song, which is structured to build up to that point. Whereas if there were six bad seconds in the continuum part at the beginning (or six bad seconds in the instrumental break of Heaven Can Wait) it would not matter as much.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline pg1067

« Reply #841 on: June 23, 2022, 03:39:24 PM »
Octavarium is three times as long as Heaven Can Wait, but if the six seconds right at the climax weren't good, it would have negative impacts that redound through the entire song, which is structured to build up to that point. Whereas if there were six bad seconds in the continuum part at the beginning (or six bad seconds in the instrumental break of Heaven Can Wait) it would not matter as much.

If only there were only six bad seconds in that part!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #842 on: June 23, 2022, 04:24:24 PM »
I mean, the chorus is a crucial element of a song, and if it's not good that really can short-circuit the rest. Octavarium is three times as long as Heaven Can Wait, but if the six seconds right at the climax weren't good, it would have negative impacts that redound through the entire song, which is structured to build up to that point. Whereas if there were six bad seconds in the continuum part at the beginning (or six bad seconds in the instrumental break of Heaven Can Wait) it would not matter as much.

I agree the chorus is a crucial element of a song, but the real key is that it is a repeated motif, so not just 6 seconds. If like me, you don't like the chorus of Heaven Can Wait you hear the '6 seconds' recurring throughout the song it isn't just one and done. I just don't think it works well and like you said  in your write up of the song 425 (which was very similar to mine) Bruce possibly can't do it justice live anyway, the word 'wait' can be a tough one to get the vowel right for a vocalist even one as good as Bruce.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: June 23, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »
As you saw, Judas was number 6.  It's a song that stuck instantly and never let go.  Dave written tune again, nice D minor key and a short fast, melodic rocker with ripping leads.  There's some interesting stuff going on here too for the short running time.  It's perfect in my opinion, a shame it's never been played live.

HCW did not rank.  I agree with Tim, it's aged pretty well.  I used to dislike it and thought it was a blemish on SIT, but I've grown to appreciate it a lot.  Still ended up at 131 for me.

TCDR - Had it at 90.  Simple song, E/C/G/D chord progression again, but some nice melodies and a great driving rhythm when the song gets going.  Adrians' solo here is tasty.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #844 on: June 23, 2022, 05:53:01 PM »
Forgot to mention in my 'ranking post' that if and when Dream Theater ever decide to do another deluxe edition covers bonus disc (a la Black Clouds) my #1 Maiden track I'd like them to tackle is Judas Be My Guide. I listened to it a couple of times today and each time I thought "I'd love to hear JP take a crack at these guitar solos".

Offline nick_z

« Reply #845 on: June 23, 2022, 05:59:29 PM »
Judas Be My Guide (#46)

As noted by many (well, those who actually like the song  ;D), this is a small, underrated gem on Fear of the Dark. Nothing groundbreaking in the song per se, but everything works so well in the package...great intro, solos and chorus...

Heaven Can Wait (#67)

Very close to the aggregate ranking. As it turns out, it's my second-lowest ranked from Somewhere in Time. Lots of cool things going on in the song, actually. Even the "whoa-oh-oh" part has some neat guitar playing underneath. Chorus maybe not the best, but what can you do. For me, it does suffer in comparison to most other songs on the record, though. I think subconsciously I might be resentful that it was "parked" in a live spot for so long, taking away from other songs on SiT.

These Colours Don't Run (not in my top 75)

I did rank this one, around the 100th spot. Not a bad song, just kind of nondescript musically. There isn't a ton going on, and it's not one of my favorite Bruce moments in the chorus. The instrumental section is good, though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: June 23, 2022, 06:00:40 PM »
Forgot to mention in my 'ranking post' that if and when Dream Theater ever decide to do another deluxe edition covers bonus disc (a la Black Clouds) my #1 Maiden track I'd like them to tackle is Judas Be My Guide. I listened to it a couple of times today and each time I thought "I'd love to hear JP take a crack at these guitar solos".

Not quite DT, but Aussie band LORD do a great cover of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683enoMdg7Q

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #847 on: June 23, 2022, 06:02:29 PM »

Not quite DT, but Aussie band LORD do a great cover of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683enoMdg7Q

Thanks for posting  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #848 on: June 23, 2022, 06:25:31 PM »

That Black Clouds version of To Tame A Land was so frustrating. I wish the vocals were redone in the Black Clouds sessions when James recorded the other covers.

If I could pick one Iron Maiden song for DT to cover, it would be Phantom Of the Opera.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #849 on: June 23, 2022, 06:29:09 PM »
Phantom of the Opera would be interesting.

I think if I could pick literally any song, I would choose Starblind. Among the songs that they would be likely to actually do, I'd say Phantom or Seventh Son.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #850 on: June 23, 2022, 06:31:29 PM »
I think Starblind is a great choice. Even Isle Of Avalon.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #851 on: June 23, 2022, 06:31:46 PM »
Phantom of the Opera would be interesting.

I think if I could pick literally any song, I would choose Starblind. Among the songs that they would be likely to actually do, I'd say Phantom or Seventh Son.

Starblind is fantastic. I agree it would be interesting to hear DT's take on it - the guitars especially are so cool.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #852 on: June 23, 2022, 06:36:20 PM »
And absolutely yes to Isle of Avalon too. The solo section starting around 4:15 is so different for Maiden...and then about a minute later, around 5:15 it could totally be Alex Lifeson...gives me a Grace Under Pressure-era Rush vibe...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: June 23, 2022, 06:37:31 PM »
Not to pick on you all, but I can't understand why anyone wishes for DT to cover a specific song. They just end up sounding like the original with different vocals.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nick_z

« Reply #854 on: June 23, 2022, 06:39:25 PM »
Oh, I think this was just an excuse to dig up some interesting songs  :) You are right though that DT end up not being super-adventurous in their re-interpretations...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: June 23, 2022, 06:40:44 PM »
That's the thing... they aren't re-interpreting anything.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #856 on: June 23, 2022, 07:06:36 PM »
67 Judas Be My Guide
Appeared on 12 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (wolfking)

Cool intro, but seems pretty average after that to me.  The chorus is kinda catchy, I suppose.

66 Heaven Can Wait
Appeared on 14 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 7 (Dream Team)

This dropped for me over time, landing at 70.  I think it is really good, but the main hook (when Bruce sings the titular line) is kinda weird.  With a stronger line there melodically, this could have been a top song as the rest of the song is pretty damn great.

65 These Colours Don’t Run
Appeared on 15 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 10 (DTA)

Ah yes, another good one from A Matter of Life and Death.  I had it at 55.  That melodic guitar lead that comes in later in the intro is tremendous, and the entire instrumental section is money.
Judas Be My Guide - Not a bad song, but I just don't see what Wolfking sees in it. It ended up at #96. I do like the melodic guitar solos in it though.

Heaven Can Wait - I had a hard time figuring out how to rank this against other songs. Sometimes I get annoyed by the repetitiveness of the chorus and other times I love it. In the end I ranked it at #26....possibly too high, but ehhh...

These Colours Don't Run - This one landed at #42. As JamminDude said, this would be a perfect song to show someone what the Reunion era is all about, just a great song front to back. And if there's one thing Iron Maiden do well (well at least 90% of the time), its song intros that build up and grab your attention.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #857 on: June 23, 2022, 08:07:47 PM »
Minor hints: tomorrow morning's update will be enjoyable for those who want something really new and something really old. :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #858 on: June 23, 2022, 08:10:29 PM »
Minor hints: tomorrow morning's update will be enjoyable for those who want something really new and something really old. :P

So...not Blaze?? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #859 on: June 23, 2022, 08:13:14 PM »
“Something old? Something new? Something from our Jurassic period! WRATHCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILE!”

Bruce Dickinson, Rock in Rio 2001.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline 425

« Reply #860 on: June 23, 2022, 08:31:10 PM »
Prowler and Hell on Earth. Easy.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Glasser

« Reply #861 on: June 23, 2022, 08:41:09 PM »
What is your ONE desert island Maiden album? (No live albums).

Mine is Powerslave.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: June 23, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
Tough. Right now with their material fresh in my mind... A Matter of Life and Death.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #863 on: June 23, 2022, 09:43:21 PM »
That's the thing... they aren't re-interpreting anything.
True - and that was the issue I had with most covers DT did: too close to the original. That said, I loved how they did change up some of the sounds, such as JR using piano in Children of the Damned and sitar in To Tame a Land.

I've already posted it elsewhere, but I'd love to see DT do their own version (in other words, not a straight copy) of Prodigal Son. A runner up would be Alexander the Great.

Somewhere in Time
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #864 on: June 23, 2022, 10:39:04 PM »
Tough. Right now with their material fresh in my mind... A Matter of Life and Death.

Agreed. Although Senjutsu is giving it a run.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Realm

« Reply #865 on: June 23, 2022, 10:41:21 PM »
Prowler and Hell on Earth. Easy.

It's in my top 75 but I am not sure I see Prowler making it, hope I'm wrong though..

Offline 425

« Reply #866 on: June 23, 2022, 11:05:09 PM »
I was mostly kidding with those two, since it's the first song on their oldest album and the last song on their newest. I think we still have a little while longer before Hell on Earth appears, but I could see Prowler showing up right around now (I think it's kind of now or never for that one).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline WardySI

« Reply #867 on: June 23, 2022, 11:30:59 PM »

Mine is Powerslave.

Honestly would struggle to take just one.  If I were forced right now having gone through the catalogue for this 75 thread I could narrow it down to just 5 in no particular order, Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time, Brave New World, Senjutsu and (drum roll) X Factor but that could well change day by day.

At a push I might say Senjutsu based purely on it being new and still fresh but Ugh it's a tough choice...

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #868 on: June 24, 2022, 12:42:45 AM »

Mine is Powerslave.

A media player with all of them because this answer is too damn hard!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #869 on: June 24, 2022, 05:39:32 AM »
Okay, focus, people, it's countdown time! ;)

Today's songs:

64 If Eternity Should Fail
Highest Ranking: 9 (senecadawg2)

Okay, this is something still sorta new rather than really new :P,. so there ya go.  This snuck in late for me, landing at 73. This is another song from the last two albums that feels like would have been better with a less muddy sound, almost like the modern day, blah production is holding it back a bit.

63 Prodigal Son
Highest Ranking: 10 (Setlist Scotty)

This one came in at 54 for me, which was lower than I thought it would have finished, as I liked this a lot from the start.  It feels like this kind of vibe is one they never really tried to recapture once the original singer was gone from the band. Bummer.

62 Wrathchild
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 17 (Cool Chris)

That intro with the bass guitar alone makes this worthy, and the whole song is really enjoyable. I had it at 56.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 05:27:00 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #870 on: June 24, 2022, 05:51:31 AM »
Okay, focus, people, it's countdown time! ;)

Today's songs:

63 Prodigal Son
It feels like this kind of vibe is one they never really tried to recapture once the original singer was gone from the band. Bummer.

62 Wrathchild

If Eternity - didn’t rank. Came in at 80 the second time and 118 the first time. Great intro, especially live, but it’s a bit of a slouch.

Prodigal Son, I again didn’t rank. 157th on my second list, 142nd the first time. I highlight your comment here, as I feel like Journeyman from Dance of Death came pretty close in it’s original electric version ( https://youtu.be/Vf_Yj9N4zcU). Still, this is the type of song I wish they would’ve done again once Bruce arrived for Beast. It’s a really unique song in the catalogue, kept so when Journeyman was changed.

You know I was kinda joking when I quoted Rock in Rio, but it’s funny I was right. This landed at 51 for me. Definitely one I prefer Di’anno singing though. Such a punky vibe.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #871 on: June 24, 2022, 06:11:15 AM »

Highest Ranking: 11 (Cool Chris)

63 Prodigal Son
Highest Ranking: 10 (Setlist Scotty)

62 Wrathchild
Highest Ranking: 17 (Cool Chris)

Two great ((or should I say killer(s)) songs today, one not so much..

If Eternity Should Fail - unranked by me and not really close. Like most of The Book of Souls album this one is a slog to get through these days for me.

Prodigal Son - 16 for me. This song has such a unique and awesome vibe for Maiden, I have always been a big fan of it. I wasn't really sure it would make the countdown  the Killers album doesn't seem to get much love at all) and now it has I'm also surprised I wasn't the high ranker! Well done Setlist Scotty.

Wrathchild - 22 for me. Another awesome song from the Killers album. I do enjoy Bruce singing this one but Dianno is also great on this, feels disappointing only 15 lists ranked this one, I'm not sure what isn't to love here, kind of thought this one may have ranked a bit higher.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: June 24, 2022, 06:19:21 AM »
67 for me in regards to PS.  Adrian's solo makes the song what it is.  One of his finest moments.

The other two didn't rank for me.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #873 on: June 24, 2022, 06:33:51 AM »
If Eternity Should Fail #42
Prodigal Son NR
Wrathchild #38

Eternity was difficult for me to rank. On one hand love the song, epic and a fantastic opener yet on the hand it's so Bruce solo I find it a little frustrating and kinda wish it had been left that way.  Weird I know and realise he is actually talking of using it again for his forthcoming album which makes huge sense to me but yeah, could only rank it about middle of my list for that reason...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:39:01 AM by WardySI »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #874 on: June 24, 2022, 06:44:45 AM »
Ha! A double dose of Killers, today!

If Eternity Should Fail (#35)

My favorite from The Book of Souls. If would be even better if they trimmed the ending a bit. But the moment when the whole band comes in with the main riff is absolutely fantastic. Love this song.

Prodigal Son (#60)

Close to the aggregate ranking. Very happy this made the overall list. It's such a cool tune, based on acoustic guitars, but with plenty of energy.

Wrathchild (#63)

Also close. I always think this is an old "classic" that I don't really need to hear. again...but every time it comes up I enjoy the hell out of it. The energy is undeniable and that main riff is so good.