Author Topic: Bands With No Bad Albums  (Read 4001 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Bands With No Bad Albums
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2022, 08:38:12 AM »
^^
There are always counterexamples though.  What if Iron Maiden had continued with Di'Anno?  Some people like the Dio or Martin Sabbath eras.  Queensryche has been revived with La Torre.  Kamelot has done well with Karevik.  Nightwish with Floor.  Arch Enemy has been successful with three separate vocalists.  Helloween had different eras and now has all three working together.  Obviously it's more controversial the later it happens, and I'm not saying at this point DT should get rid of JLB because some aren't as fond of him, but in some circumstances it does work. 

Online Trav86

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2022, 10:16:54 AM »
I wouldn’t say any of the singers that were replaced in those bands were at the legendary status that LaBrie is, with the exception of Tate.  And QR had been downhill for awhile before that. DT isn’t anywhere close to that, unless they premiere “The Astonishing Cabaret” next year.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2022, 12:21:44 PM »
The other thing to keep in mind is that Di'Anno left (was fired from) Maiden because, in his own words, he "was snorting . . . coke . . . non-stop, 24 hours a day, every day."

Same with Ozzy and Sabbath, and Dio left because of personality conflicts with Iommi and Butler (same as Tate and the rapidly destructing Queensryche).  Kiske left Helloween because the band was imploding from deteriorating personal relationships.

None of that stuff exists in DT.  No one's drinking heavily or doing drugs and, by all accounts, they all like each other a LOT.  Same with Rush.  Rush may not have been "cool" in the '90s, but that was no different than the '80s or the '70s, but by the '90s, they were all financially well off and as successful as they wanted to be.  One of the reasons why Rush remained popular with its fan base for four decades and had a massive surge in popularity over the last decade of the band's existence was because they didn't change members.  The members' loyalty to each other engendered the same among fans.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Trav86

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2022, 01:37:23 PM »
Despite how someone may feel about Rush’s music, you have to admit they were the perfect band.

They had a multi-decade, prolific career. The same members (a different drummer on the first album doesn’t count lol) the entire time. They loved each other like brothers, they had commercial and artistic success. They never really lost popularity amongst the fans despite making music and shows the way they wanted to. Once they got in arenas and large sheds, they never went backwards. In fact got a little more popular in the last years. And I think they had the longest ovation in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame history. I mean…damn.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2022, 01:51:11 PM »
Despite how someone may feel about Rush’s music, you have to admit they were the perfect band.

They had a multi-decade, prolific career. The same members (a different drummer on the first album doesn’t count lol) the entire time. They loved each other like brothers, they had commercial and artistic success. They never really lost popularity amongst the fans despite making music and shows the way they wanted to. Once they got in arenas and large sheds, they never went backwards. In fact got a little more popular in the last years. And I think they had the longest ovation in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame history. I mean…damn.

Seriously, though, is there even one band like that?  Maybe Maiden over the last 20 years.  But even then, Steve and Bruce are friendly, but I don't know that either would call themselves "brothers".  Kiss; Gene and Paul are like that, but they have had so much turnover in the other two roles that they don't qualify.  Maybe U2. 

Too often bands are now like Aerosmith or the Stones, where it's a business relationship for all intents and purposes.

Online Trav86

« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2022, 02:03:34 PM »
If Gene and Paul or Steven and Joe could have as much success and make as much money without each other, they would.  They each understand what the other brings to the table, and that they need those relationships. That’s it.

Geddy, Alex and Neil loved each other for the people they were, FIRST. And then they also respected each other for the musicians they were. That’s the secret sauce.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Freeze

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2022, 02:59:41 PM »

Not to forget the way they went out. No "farewell tours" , no bragging. Just a tour with one of their best setlists ever, with the added bonus of Peart taking centre stage with the two others at the last show. Their last studio album "Clockwork Angels" wasn't bad either. Just pure class all the way.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2022, 03:28:19 PM »

Seriously, though, is there even one band like that?  Maybe Maiden over the last 20 years.  But even then, Steve and Bruce are friendly, but I don't know that either would call themselves "brothers".  Kiss; Gene and Paul are like that, but they have had so much turnover in the other two roles that they don't qualify.  Maybe U2. 

Too often bands are now like Aerosmith or the Stones, where it's a business relationship for all intents and purposes.

Maybe Metallica? They've had the same trio on all albums (and the Mustaine drama was before they got established or even put out the debut) and the only position that's rotated is the bass player but Cliff unfortunately passed and Jason decided to leave to go do his own thing and ever since they got Robert instead it's looked like a solid lineup with no real signs of drama or anything.

But yeah I do agree it's quite rare for long running bands to stay friends and have everyone stick around.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2022, 07:09:30 PM »
But even with Metallica, I can’t see those guys sitting around at a dinner together and feeling the love of each other the way that Rush did. They literally were one of a kind.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nick_z

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2022, 07:19:03 PM »
But even with Metallica, I can’t see those guys sitting around at a dinner together and feeling the love of each other the way that Rush did. They literally were one of a kind.

Indeed. Just thinking about that warms my heart.

Offline Kram

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2022, 03:59:26 PM »

Rush was the best band ever period!  That's how I see it and no one can convince me otherwise.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2022, 04:29:50 PM »
Best band is a leap I won't make, but if you are a dedicated fan of a band for multiple decades, I can't imagine a group of guys more worthy of admiration.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2022, 05:36:34 PM »

Seriously, though, is there even one band like that? 

ZZ Top.  Billy, Frank and Dusty lineup from 1969 to 2021 and that only ended due to Dusty's passing.  Friends throughout.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 05:46:58 PM by soupytwist »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2022, 05:54:29 PM »
People do mention ZZ Top from time to time…and the fact that it was the original lineup the whole time is absolutely one of the greatest achievements in rock history and I don’t want to take anything away from that accomplishment.

…but I still don’t think they were anywhere near the close best of friends that the guys in Rush were. Heck…Beard didn’t even play on Eliminator AT ALL and Hill’s contributions were almost nil. I can’t imagine anything like that ever happening with Rush.

In ZZ Top, Gibbons was the definitive leader, and the other two were mostly just along for the ride. Rush didn’t have a leader. They were just friends.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude