Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 56111 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #1015 on: June 29, 2022, 09:38:25 AM »
I had Murders in the Rue Morgue at #12 - highest ranked song on Killers.  It's only 4:19, but it feels longer.  Normally, that wouldn't be a good thing, but in this case it is.  The fast pace of the music perfectly matches the lyrics.

Didn't rank the other two.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1016 on: June 29, 2022, 11:15:28 AM »
Starblind (-)
It's a good song, with a very SIT vibe, but I think it's the one that suffers most with the mix/production of TFF. I think the arrangement would be more interesting if the song just finished after the solo, since it sounds to me a bit samey from this point on.

The Book of Souls (#70)
It has the same structure of The Legacy, which is very cool. It's well done, although not as good as The Legacy.

Murders in the Rue Morgue (#32)
I miss that Maiden doesn't do hard rockers like that anymore, really great!

Edited: a bit random, but I totally LOVE TFF cover art, one of their best IMO.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 11:21:58 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1017 on: June 29, 2022, 11:46:49 AM »
I've missed the last few updates.

My list:

75. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
72. The Duellists
70. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
63. Only The Good Die Young
49. Out of the Silent Planet
48. Rainmaker
47. Judas Be My Guide
45. Montsegur
41. Still Life
39. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
38. Starblind
36. Lord of Light
35. The Book of Souls
21. Can I Play With Madness
19. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
15. No Prayer for the Dying
9. If Eternity Should Fail

Unranked:

Remember Tomorrow
The Wicker Man
Heaven Can Wait
These Colours Don't Run
Death of the Celts
Deja-Vu
Prodigal Son
Wrathchild
Brave New World
The Nomad
Killers
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Murders in the Rue Morgue

Starblind is one of the better songs on TFF, but not quite on the level of a couple more that I hope to see coming up. Murders in the Rue Morgue doesn't do much for me, but really, that's all of Killers. The Book of Souls I really enjoy, but I'm not convinced it needs to be ten and a half minutes long. As with a lot of the reunion era material (even songs that I do really like), I feel maybe this one could be leaner.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1018 on: June 29, 2022, 12:14:07 PM »

When I get around to it, I may throw the album covers into the ranker and see what pops out.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1019 on: June 29, 2022, 01:36:08 PM »

When I get around to it, I may throw the album covers into the ranker and see what pops out.

Will you include also the singles covers?  :laugh: If not, they are only around 20, including the live albums... a lot of great ones, sure!

Offline 425

« Reply #1020 on: June 29, 2022, 02:54:18 PM »
47. Starblind
My ranking: #3 (highest ranking for this song)

Another one of my top five is down. To be honest, this is around where I predicted it would be, even though I think it's far too low.

This was my favorite Maiden song for the first couple years of my familiarity with the band. Two songs have since surpassed it (and #4 is a very close #4), but it remains just absolutely spectacular in opinion. For one thing, there's a really great union of music and lyrics. The lyrics give us imagery of some sort of being soaring through space ("startripping"), and the riffs convey this sense of constant, weightless motion really well to me. I think the lyrics, while somewhat obscure, are really enjoyable just from the way they sound and the images they evoke, and it's thrilling to hear Bruce navigate these pretty challenging lines with apparent ease. The best

And then there's Adrian, who was likely the lead songwriter on this song plays a ton of incredible leads and solos. The best one comes after the false ending, where the song comes to a complete stop, and then comes back with a new riff that leads into the first solo of the instrumental section. Another one of the best parts comes when the song comes to another stop, and then he plays this short slow solo over a very quiet version of the intro riff. And then Bruce comes in "Look into our face reflected in the moonglow in your eyes," one of those lines that just sounds satisfying.

Hmm, I seem to like Maiden songs that stop and start again. I wonder what else we might find in my top ten. :P

This is a song that I loved very early into getting this album and just never get tired of. Hence its placement at #3.

46. The Book of Souls
My ranking: #27

Another really good reunion epic. This one started out as my favorite song on The Book of Souls, and while that's no longer the case, it's only grown in my esteem over time. It just has such a big, epic feeling. Bruce is called upon to sing a lot of soaring lines in both the verses and chorus, and definitely does not disappoint. And then, as TAC mentioned, there's the part where the tempo picks up and we get "Ascending the throne wearing feathers and shells" which is quite a climactic part.

This song has a lot of moving parts. I still don't feel like I know it as well as even some of the songs on Senjutsu, but I always enjoy the ride.

45. Murders in the Rue Morgue
My ranking: Unranked (101-125 range)

This is the other contender, with the title track, for my favorite song on Killers, and it's one of those songs where I think it's quite good, but where I just prefer a lot of their other songs to it. It's a very catchy, memorable song that does a pretty good job of telling a story. I like that the chorus changes each time to correspond to what's going on at the relevant stage of the story.

My list so far (16/31):
66. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
63. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
59. These Colours Don't Run
53. Remember Tomorrow
50. Dream of Mirrors
48. Death of the Celts
47. The Nomad
43. Out of the Silent Planet
42. Montségur
28. Only the Good Die Young
27. The Book of Souls
25. If Eternity Should Fail
21. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
15. Lord of Light
5. Isle of Avalon
3. Starblind
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: June 29, 2022, 04:22:27 PM »
Starblind - 29 - This was one that instantly grabbed me when TFF came out, it's just brilliant.  The chorus rips off Infinite Dreams as a little nugget I like but Adrian is the star here.  What makes the song for me is his ad lib guitar playing during those verses.  He's all over this with some incredible phrases and improv, so tasteful.

TBOS - 21 - This one only really grew on me the last year or so, but it's easily one of the best songs the band has ever done.  Janick nails it yet again.  The chorus is simply one of the bands best, no question.  Cracking riffing in the middle too.

Murders - 103 - A fine song, always enjoyable with an interesting chord progression.  Just suffers from Maiden having a lot more songs I enjoy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1022 on: June 29, 2022, 04:24:22 PM »

Murders - 103 - A fine song, always enjoyable with an interesting chord progression.  Just suffers from Maiden having a lot more songs I enjoy.

Right? I always found the progression in the verses really cool and somewhat "unexpected"...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: June 29, 2022, 04:26:32 PM »

Right? I always found the progression in the verses really cool and somewhat "unexpected"...

Off the top of my head I think it's like A/C#/D or something, really interesting and unique. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1024 on: June 29, 2022, 05:50:44 PM »

Along with Lord Of Light, I thought two of these songs would net me the Highest Ranker. Guess I'll just have to settle for Highest Ranker when we get to #1!

Maybe, maybe not. ;)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1025 on: June 29, 2022, 06:25:53 PM »
47 Starblind
Appeared on 15 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 3 (425)

I had this at 20, and that feels about right.  Great, great song all-around.  Incredible use of keys in this one, and I was shocked this one didn't get more love.

46 The Book of Souls
Appeared on 20 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 9 (DTA)

This was a late entry, coming it at 75 for me.  Feels like one of their songs that could have been one of the true greats with good production, but the mud makes it hard for it to shine as much as it should. 

45 Murders in the Rue Morgue
Appeared on 15 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 10 (Stadler)

Good tune, one I had at 58. Feels like one of those early hard rockers that has 80s written all over it, in a good way.
Starblind - Had this at #22. Such a great track on an often overlooked album. The second half really shines with all the proggy bits.

The Book of Souls - This came in at #52. Fitting that the title track is one of the stronger ones on the album, not the strongest, mind you, but still great! Another Maiden track with a fantastic intro.

Murders in the Rue Morgue - This was down at #93. It's a good song, just overshadowed by so many other songs in their catalog.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1026 on: June 30, 2022, 05:32:07 AM »
Today's update:

44 Blood Brothers
Appeared on 21 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 12 (Zydar)

Great song. one of their best, IMO, which is why I had it at 16.  That chorus is one of their biggest earworms.

43 The Longest Day
Appeared on 19 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 6 (DTA)

Speaking of earworms, that melodic guitar lead in this song is another major one!  I had this at 38, and it probably could have been 10-15 spots higher for me.

42 The Red and the Black
Highest Ranking: 8 (Elite)

This was a late entry for me, and the ending is probably why.  The rest of the song is solid, but I liked the ending enough to squeeze it in at 64.  Not sure it would make it again if I redid my list today.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1027 on: June 30, 2022, 06:32:57 AM »
3 out of 3 for me with today's trilogy of reunion songs:

Blood Brothers: #51.

The Longest Day: #66. I'd mentioned earlier that for me A Matter of Life and Death is a very consistent album but not much really stands out on it. The other reunion albums have 1 or 2 clear 'best tracks' as well as another 1 or 2 that are different to all the rest, whereas AMOLAD, great though it is, feels a tad samey. For that reason when choosing which songs would be represented from it I went with the ones that I felt distinguished themselves just a little from the pack, and The Longest Day made the cut by virtue of having one of Maiden's very best build-ups (great sense of suspense and foreboding) as well as a great chorus. 

The Red and the Black: #18. This song contains my favourite instrumental section. There are enough great riffs and musical ideas in it to write something like 3 or 4 separate songs, but instead they squeezed them all into this fantastic jam session. The live version is superb.   

My list so far in descending order:

#66: The Longest Day
#64: Only The Good Die Young
#63: Still Life
#56: These Colours Don't Run
#54: Can I Play With Madness
#53: Remember Tomorrow
#52: Judas Be My Guide
#51: Blood Brothers
#41: Rainmaker
#36: Montsegur
#34: The Wicker Man
#22: Heaven Can Wait
#21: Starblind
#18: The Red and the Black
#15: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
#6: No Prayer for the Dying
#1: Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu
If Eternity Should Fail
Prodigal Son
Wrathchild
Brave New World
The Nomad
Killers
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Book of Souls
Murders in the Rue Morgue
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:46:12 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: June 30, 2022, 06:36:18 AM »
Blood Brothers :heart

I've loved it ever since it was released, and it's my favourite song of the reunion era. This section gets me every time, I lost my dad the year before.

Just for a second a glimpse of my father I see
And in a movement he beckons to me
And in a moment the memories are all that remain
And all the wounds are reopening again
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1029 on: June 30, 2022, 06:44:53 AM »
Another 3 I ranked today.

Blood Brothers - 64 for me. Definitely could have been much higher but like many great reunion era tracks I struggle to place them over many of my nostalgic favourites (which we haven’t really had any of yet so far in the countdown). Some really great music in this one and a great live track.

The Longest Day - 40 for me. Love the intro and this is just a great track. One of the best from a great album.

The Red and the Black - 73 for me. Yes only just made it but I had to get it on the top 75. There are a ton of awesome things happening in this song but overall it is just too long for me. Would have been much better as an 8 minute song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: June 30, 2022, 07:00:17 AM »
Blood Brothers: 17 - I've written about this before.  A good song that completely elevated itself when I saw it live in Brooklyn.  Bruce just killed it and it's stuck with me ever since.  Even listening to the studio version I now feel that same energy.

The Longest Day: #20 - Similar to Dave, this is one song amongst a pack of very good songs that somehow sets itself apart.   I'm really turning into a "reunion" guy and it's because of songs like these.  I'm always a sucker for a good tune about the D-Day landings too.

The Red and the Black: #43
- You NEVER catch me saying "Maiden songs are too long" and I don't generally get the "they need to edit" comments, but if there was one song in the entire catalogue for which that would fit... it would be this one.  This is the the second or third song (I know there's one on The X Factor) that begin with a sort of mini-bass solo, and is it me, or do they suck?  For a world class bass player in a world class band, this one seems sloppy and out of time.  It bugs me.  But the rest of the song?  GTFO.  Love that riff and the harmony guitars leading into the verses, another great "Whoa whoa whoa" section, more harmony guitars and then the chorus that sticks in my head for DAYS....  (By the way, a great performance from Bruce, even though this is one of those songs where I thought "there's something wrong with his voice", not at that time knowing about his illness.

10   Murders In The Rue Morgue
15   Dream of Mirrors
17   Blood Brothers
20   The Longest Day
22   Still Life
25   Prodigal Son
26   Death of the Celts
28   Lord of Light
29   Afraid to Shoot Strangers
33   Isle of Avalon
34   If Eternity Should Fail
40   The Nomad
43   The Red And The Black
57   Killers
61   Deja-Vu
65   The Wicker Man
72   Starblind
73   No Prayer for the Dying
75   Only the Good Die Young

Missed the cut:
76   Out of the Silent Planet
85   Brave New World
92   The Book Of Souls
93   The Duelists
99   Heaven Can Wait
106   Montségur
107   The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
109   The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
114   Rainmaker
116   These Colours Don't Run
117   Wrathchild
127   Judas Be My Guide
130   Can I Play With Madness
134   Remember Tomorrow
145   The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Online Mladen

« Reply #1031 on: June 30, 2022, 07:20:59 AM »
Three fantastic reunion era songs right there.  :tup

Online Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1032 on: June 30, 2022, 09:18:49 AM »
Catching up...

#32 Montségur - too high? Maybe. Maybe not... Yeah, it's kind of "standard" yet it's still very unique. The 6/8 time, the frantic ride cymbal hits and singing in the chorus, the wall (heh) of sound. All make it into an odd and awesome song. My favourite part is the second verse (or post chorus depending on how you hear it. "as we kill them all so god will know his own...").

#2 Lord of Light - naturally the first thing I looked at after ranking the songs is how the top layer turned, and honestly? I feel comfortable calling this my #2! I love the haunting clean opening. The foreshadowing of the post-verse melody before the second "these are things you can't reveal" is perfect. The verses are energetic. Then: BOOM! Free your soul and let it fly! The chorus hits like a truck. And the best part is yet to come. The clean bridge is beautiful with the effects on the instruments and all. The heavy bridge is intense after the anger expressed in the clean part. And those two sections are some of the most powerful performances by Bruce, up there with the RAAAAAIN from Rime if you ask me. The solos bring us back to earth for a conclusive chorus, oh what's that? It doesn't even repeat 4 times!

The adjective I most often see next to AMOLAD is "solid". I say it too, the songs really are just all great and there isn't the obvious fan-favourite that appears on their other albums. And still, of the seven long songs, Lord of Light just seems to get the least talk. I honestly wasn't really expecting it to even make the countdown because of this! But it's a perfect song in my opinion: It's thematic, it's dramatic, the performance is killer, and it doesn't overstay its welcome (it's really tiring having to add how the chorus is too repetitive on every song ;) ).

#52 The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - it always painted a vivid image in my mind. I actually like the start-stop singing in the verses, I view it as the runner's breathing. The drums fit the lyrics too with the snare hitting every beat during the chorus. The harmonies in the instrumental part are great and the solos are uplifting. Great example of matching music and lyrics!

#14 Starblind - another incredible song from The Final Frontier. It does give the feeling of being in space, there are so many "solos" here. Star-tripping is an appropriate term I think :) The instrumental part is incredible. Of course, I can't talk about Starblind without mentioning the lyrics. It's not often that the lyrics are the strongest point on such a good song.

#39 The Book of Souls - I'll echo TAC, personally mid tempo stuff can lose me easily. I don't like this song every day of the week. But when I do, it's a pretty massive song. And yes, once it picks up the pace it's worth it even in its weaker days. Great lyrics here too, the "alien invasion" part felt weird to me for a long time before I realized it's probably not about outer space aliens...

#76 Murders in the Rue Morgue - curious to me that it placed about Killers. Agree with you pg, it's shorter than I realized. Love the bridge 2 minutes in and Di'Anno is great.

#33 Blood Brothers - always loved it. Their best ballad. Gorgeous.

#54 The Longest Day - the intro is gold. The prechorus it leads into is amazing too, I like that harmonic(?) thing that appears some times ("oh the water is red..." has it). The instrumental part is great too, as is usual with this album. The chorus though... It's just underwhelming, especially when it's surrounded by so many great parts.

#47 The Red and the Black - I really like every part of it, but I can't lie, it's just too lengthy. The woah-oh-oh part is one of their best ones. Very infectious song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: June 30, 2022, 10:12:30 AM »
Something else to consider:  I'm starting to think that lyrically, Maiden is really come into it's own and is a cut above not just heavy metal, but rock in general.   It's also, IMO, unusual for a band to have TWO lyricists as skilled as Harris and Dickinson (and now that I write that, I have like 5 examples; haha!)

They always had decent lyrics, they always had a good knack for telling a story (they have some of the best "narrative" songs of any band), but I think in the reunion era they've really reached a new plateau.   Some of the turns of phrase they use are so evocative and well-thought out.  Something like "The Red And The Black" works on multiple levels, and while I know it might easily be an adaptation of another's work (like Rime; the novel is "Le Rouge et le Noir", though I've never read it) it might also NOT be, and can refer to cards, checkers, or any of a handful of other references (the colors of a flag, for example).   It's powerful stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1034 on: June 30, 2022, 10:21:17 AM »
Blood Brothers at 43 and TR&TB at 62, but they're really not spread by that much.  Didn't rank TLD, but it didn't miss by much.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1035 on: June 30, 2022, 11:08:35 AM »
Something else to consider:  I'm starting to think that lyrically, Maiden is really come into it's own and is a cut above not just heavy metal, but rock in general.   It's also, IMO, unusual for a band to have TWO lyricists as skilled as Harris and Dickinson (and now that I write that, I have like 5 examples; haha!)

They always had decent lyrics, they always had a good knack for telling a story (they have some of the best "narrative" songs of any band), but I think in the reunion era they've really reached a new plateau.   Some of the turns of phrase they use are so evocative and well-thought out.  Something like "The Red And The Black" works on multiple levels, and while I know it might easily be an adaptation of another's work (like Rime; the novel is "Le Rouge et le Noir", though I've never read it) it might also NOT be, and can refer to cards, checkers, or any of a handful of other references (the colors of a flag, for example).   It's powerful stuff.

Absolutely. I think this was the biggest revelation I had in revisiting the discography in chronological order to make my list: the evolution in the writing deserves huge credit in cementing their legacy. It's remarkable how much they've improved over the years (or at least evolved, and become more consistent). So many bands—especially in the rock and metal genres, as you say—have found their success and subsequently just focused on the music while letting the same songs rewrite themselves ad nauseam.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1036 on: June 30, 2022, 02:38:33 PM »
44 Blood Brothers

43 The Longest Day

42 The Red and the Black

I had Blood Brothers at #56.  This is a great song. Couldn't break into my Top 50, but I still love it a lot. It's great live. And Zyder quoted such a moving passage.

I had The Longest Day at #82. I admit it. I ranked this too low. The build up in the intro is tremendous. When Nicko comes in with those toms replicating the shells exploding is such a genius move.

I had The Red And The Black at #23. I could listen to the instrumental section forever. I think what comes before and after it is merely ok, but that section...WOW. So good it vaults an ok song into my Top 25!

So far...

70 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
68 The Nomad
62 Judas Be My Guide
58 Montesegur
57 Still Life
56 Blood Brothers
48 Heaven Can Wait
43 Brave New World
42 The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
29 The Duellists
23 The Red And The Black
21 Murders In The Rue Morgue
18 Remember Tomorrow
17 No Prayer for the Dying
15 Lord Of Light
13 The Book Of Souls

-------------------

Not Ranked

77 Starblind
82 The Longest Day
83 Isle Of Avalon
87 Deja Vu
90 Rainmaker
92 If Eternity Should Fail
94 Only the Good Die Young
97 Dream Of Mirrors
101 The Wicker Man
105 Killers
106 Death of the Celts

NR These Colours Don't Run
NR Prodigal Son
NR Wratchchild
NR Can I Play with Madness
NR The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
NR Out of the Silent Planet
NR The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1037 on: June 30, 2022, 03:02:06 PM »
44 Blood Brothers

Great song. one of their best, IMO, which is why I had it at 16.  That chorus is one of their biggest earworms.

43 The Longest Day

Speaking of earworms, that melodic guitar lead in this song is another major one!  I had this at 38, and it probably could have been 10-15 spots higher for me.

42 The Red and the Black

This was a late entry for me, and the ending is probably why.  The rest of the song is solid, but I liked the ending enough to squeeze it in at 64.  Not sure it would make it again if I redid my list today.
Blood Brothers - This came in at #56 for me. Just mentioning this song gets that chorus stuck in my head. It's such an infectious song!

The Longest Day - I had this at #33. In an album full of amazing songs, this was only my 5th favorite. I think I'm starting to realize that Iron Maiden does the moody buildup better than almost any other band.

The Red and the Black - This was at #29 and I agree with Tim, that instrumental section is absolutely perfect! My 2nd favorite from Book of Souls.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1038 on: June 30, 2022, 03:19:53 PM »
44 Blood Brothers
I find the chorus to this song insanely annoying, ad since that takes up about 80% of the song's run-time, you can see why I did not rank this one. I guess one man's earworm is another man's ... uhh earache?That's a little harsh, but this song stood no chance of making my list. Sorry!

43 The Longest Day

This one on the other hand is absolutely brilliant and my second favourite on AMOLAD. I had this one at #20. Now this is a chorus I can enjoy a lot, though the song has plenty more to offer as well. Great track

42 The Red and the Black
It kind of surprises me that I was the highest ranker (#8 on my list) for this one, but then again when I look at what I ranked ahead of it and some tracks surrounding it, it simultaneously doesn't. Let's get some stuff out of the way first: the transition to the last 'Whoa' section is wacky as hell and the bass intro and outro kind of suck. This is a problem I have with more Maiden songs by the way; intros that have nothing to do with the rest of the song that for no reason get repeated as an outro. Then why did I rank this so high? Because this song takes you on a journey, not unlike that other long song on the same record.. This song's instrumental section is outstanding and I dare say it's among Maiden's absolute best ones. The way the song builds up is great as well, introducing melodies in the guitar first before 'whoaing' over them , for example. Really, the only thing I'd change is the jarring transition at the end (and remove the pointless intro/outro - which by the way I don't agree with Stadler on; they're not sloppy, just very unfitting for the rest of the tune if you ask me). My favourite track from The Book of Souls :)

And as we get closer to the halfway point of the list, I fear that some of my favourites (a couple in the top 10 even) might not actually make it. We'll see!

---

Updated list:

#73 The Book of Souls
#71 Only the Good Die Young
#67 Killers
#66 The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
#63 Brave New World
#61 No Prayer for the Dying
#59 Wrathchild
#57 Death of the Celts
#55 If Eternity Should Fail
#51 Murders in the Rue Morgue
#46 These Colours Don't Run
#42 The Nomad
#31 Rainmaker
#28 Heaven Can Wait
#22 Can I Play With Madness
#20 The Longest Day
#17 Out of the Silent Planet
#12 Montségur
#8 The Red and the Black
#7 The Wicker Man

Unranked:

The Duellists
Deja Vu
Judas be my Guide
Prodigal Son
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Still Life
Remember Tomorrow
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Starblind
Blood Brothers
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: June 30, 2022, 03:37:33 PM »
BB - 52 - I was surprised how good this was on the Legacy tour, upped my appreciated.  Moving song, well executed and a great climax with Janick's solo.  nicely placed at track 4 on the album too.

TLD - 109 - I admit it.  I never understood the love this song got.  I like the chorus quite a bit but I'm not that keen on the instrumental section. 

TRATB - 24 - A six minute instrumental section filled with some of the best melodies the band has ever done?  Yes please.  The Mariner rip is real but this song is amazing and I was so pleased we finally got a 10 minute plus song of just balls out metal from start to finish.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1040 on: June 30, 2022, 03:45:58 PM »
Of those 3, I only had The Longest Day listed at #43. One of the best intros in their catalog. I agree with what Elite said about BB, I don't believe I've intentionally listened to that song in full since the first couple times I heard it back in 2000. Also never cared for TRATB.

Offline 425

« Reply #1041 on: June 30, 2022, 04:11:02 PM »

Absolutely. I think this was the biggest revelation I had in revisiting the discography in chronological order to make my list: the evolution in the writing deserves huge credit in cementing their legacy. It's remarkable how much they've improved over the years (or at least evolved, and become more consistent). So many bands—especially in the rock and metal genres, as you say—have found their success and subsequently just focused on the music while letting the same songs rewrite themselves ad nauseam.

I really agree with both of these posts. I've tried to cite some example of lines that both sound really nice and evoke something to me, and I think the majority of them have been from the reunion era. Montségur, for example, is a song that was posted recently where reaction seemed to be really divided between those who love it and those who don't really get why people esteem it. I think it's awesome musically, but I can't deny that part of the attraction is the lyrics. Especially:

As we kill them all so God will know his own
Laugh at the darkness and in God we trust
The eye of the triangle smiling with sin
No passover feast for the cursed within
Facing the sun as they went to their grave
Burn like a dog or you'll live like a slave"

I also mentioned Isle of Avalon, one of my very favorite Maiden songs, and again one where I would love it based on the music alone, but where the lyrics undeniably add something extra. Consider:

The image of Mother Goddess
Lying dormant in the eyes of the dead
The sheaf of the corn is broken, end the harvest,
Throw the dead on the pyre

To have the belief of others
Looking for the Isle to show them a sign
Fertility of all mothers, stood in silence, waiting now for their turn

The gateway to Avalon
The island where the souls of dead are reborn
Brought here to die and be
Transferred into the earth and then for rebirth

The Red and the Black is not one I've paid quite as much attention to lyrically, but there's still some stuff on it that always strikes me:

The good luck charm is overkill
The tired old soldier says fire at will
Planes overhead, go search destroy
The ones below human decoy

And then there's something that I hope is still to come:

Wilderness a tyrant dream
Sell your soul not give them power
Slay upon the imperial crown
Witness now the witching hour

Bound himself to oath and king
Such a loyalty a shameless thing
Youth of agony still burn
Shedding parents blood

Never say a prayer for me
For this crime and treachery
Drinking from your cup of wisdom true
Many men will follow you

Now an army is raised
And our gods, they be praised
Death is but a guilted edge
Shall no more than we will pledge

Hear the cry we are ready to believe

44. Blood Brothers
My ranking: #70

I really like this song. It ended up a little lower for me than the consensus mainly because there are so many great songs and because the chorus is a little too repetitive. But the verses are really strong, and the song is pretty emotionally powerful, especially when they perform it live. Zydar quoted the best part, but I also think the middle part ("When you think that we've used all our chances") is really powerful live.

43. The Longest Day
My ranking: #24

This may have my favorite opening section of any Maiden song ever. The first two minutes of this song are musically brilliant, lyrically evocative and emotionally powerful. I feel that this song has a dark and desperate yet devoted and ultimately hopeful feeling. It does not hold back on the horror the Normandy invasion necessarily involved, but it also maintains a clear perspective that it was a righteous act that would ultimately accomplish a moral good. There are some stunning lines in here. I quoted songs from four of the last five albums above leaving AMOLAD to the side specifically for this one:

In the gloom the gathering storm abates
In the ships the gimlet eyes await
The call to arms to hammer at the gates
To blow them wide, throw evil to its fate

All summer's long the drills to build the machine
To turn men from flesh and blood to steel
From paper soldiers to bodies on the beach
From summer sands to armageddon's reach

So why is this at #24 and not in my top ten? It's the chorus. I think the chorus melody actually is fitting, giving a bit more of the hopeful/devoted side where the verses emphasize the darkness more. But it's just repeated way too much. This is probably the single song where the repeated chorus detracts most for me. There's not much variation, just the same long line four times sung the same way four times in a row, three times in the song. It's just too much.

Everything else is good. The verses, as I said, are brilliant, and I think the instrumental section is very good, with the lead that plays the chorus melody actually being the best use of that melody in the song. Honestly, I think if they just went from four repetitions to two, this  would be at least top 15 for me. Still, it's a song I love to hear and a deserving entry in my top 25.

42. The Red and the Black
My ranking: #49

This song is very much on its way up for me, and if you asked me again in a year or two it might be even higher than #49. It missed my top 60 in 2020, but here it is at #49 in 2022.

It was actually the release of Senjutsu that unlocked it for me, for a couple of reasons. First, I was somewhat disappointed in TBoS, which I did not enjoy as much as the three albums that preceded it. Since it was the first album to come out while I was a fan, I didn't necessarily trust my own reaction to it (maybe it's just nostalgia bias, I thought, in other words). Once Senjutsu came out and I immediately fell in love with it, I realized that that wasn't what was at play, and as I stopped putting pressure on myself to like TBoS more than I did, I was able to appreciate it for what it is.

The second reason is that I think Senjutsu does such a good job of structuring long instrumental sections that are fascinating and make appropriate use of repetition. I'm thinking especially about Death of the Celts and The Parchment. My appreciation for those made me want to hear more of the same, and made me give more focus to The Red and the Black, which I think was the prototype for that.

I agree with the general assessment that the second, instrumental half is a lot stronger than the first half. It's really, really good. Just thrilling and at times beautiful. The really melodic part at around the 11 minute mark especially. But while I don't think the vocal section is as good as the second half, I don't think it's by any means bad, and I think it fits well with that second half. It has some really appealing stuff like the lines I quoted above and the "chorus" (that is, the four "The red and the black..." parts.

This song ends up next to Death of the Celts for me right now. The comparison is that in Death of the Celts I think the vocal section and instrumental section are both quite strong. I think The Red and the Black has a weaker vocal section, but a strong instrumental section. Similar to The Nomad, actually, in this regard, which is on the other side of DotC. But I think of the three songs, this one has the strongest potential to go up.

My list so far (19/34):
70. Blood Brothers
66. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
63. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
59. These Colours Don't Run
53. Remember Tomorrow
50. Dream of Mirrors
49. The Red and the Black
48. Death of the Celts
47. The Nomad
43. Out of the Silent Planet
42. Montségur
28. Only the Good Die Young
27. The Book of Souls
25. If Eternity Should Fail
24. The Longest Day
21. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
15. Lord of Light
5. Isle of Avalon
3. Starblind
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:20:45 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1042 on: June 30, 2022, 04:33:55 PM »
And as we get closer to the halfway point of the list, I fear that some of my favourites (a couple in the top 10 even) might not actually make it. We'll see!

As we approach the midway point I'm becoming increasingly confident my #2 pick hasn't made the list (which is cool, it's all tastes etc). So far only 6 songs from the classic 5-album run of Number of the Beast through to Seventh Son have come up (Still Life from Piece of Mind, The Duellists from Powerslave, Heaven Can Wait and Deja-Vu from Somewhere in Time and Can I Play With Madness and Only The Good Die Young from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son), which is less than the entire Brave New World album (currently at 7 songs).  At a guess I'd say around 25 of the remaining 41 songs to come are from those albums and the rest will be the 'big guns' from the other albums. But we'll see I guess. There have been several surprises already in this countdown (when this is finished I'll be interested to know the ages of the participants and when they first got into the band).   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:42:06 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1043 on: June 30, 2022, 04:37:54 PM »
I was 13 in the summer of 1982.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1044 on: June 30, 2022, 04:48:50 PM »

Hmmm...interesting query.

I'm going to guess that all of my top 10 (none of which have yet been revealed) will make it.

From my songs 11-20, my #12 (Murders), 16 (Deja Vu), 19 (Loneliness) and 20 (Prodigal Son) have been revealed, and I think there's a 50/50 shot that my #11, 15 and 18 won't make the top 75.

From my songs 21-30, my #26 (Wrathchild) and 27 (Duellists) have been revealed, and I'd say there's at least a 50/50 chance my #25 won't make it.

I'm almost positive my #33 and 52 won't make it.  Other than that, I'm just not sure.

So far only 6 songs from the classic 5-album run of Number of the Beast through to Seventh Son have come up (Still Life from Piece of Mind, The Duellists from Powerslave, Heaven Can Wait and Deja-Vu from Somewhere in Time and Can I Play With Madness and Only The Good Die Young from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son)   

Also The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1045 on: June 30, 2022, 04:50:09 PM »
^^ Indeed, missed it. 7 songs so far from the Big 5.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 05:01:33 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1046 on: June 30, 2022, 04:59:16 PM »
Speaking of Blood Brothers, I guess I’ll throw DT a shout out that I think at least musically they did the whole “losing my father” thing a whole lot better with The Best of Times and the demo version of Take Away My Pain. IMO

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1047 on: June 30, 2022, 05:01:51 PM »
I was also 13 but the year was 1985, although it was still The Number of the Beast that was the first Maiden album (which was actually a cassette) that I heard.

As far as what is to come in the countdown I think Dave summed it up pretty well. I’m still fairly confident all my top 20 not yet revealed makes it but a few others outside that will miss out.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1048 on: June 30, 2022, 05:06:57 PM »

I was also 13 but the year was 1985
, although it was still The Number of the Beast that was the first Maiden album (which was actually a cassette) that I heard.

As far as what is to come in the countdown I think Dave summed it up pretty well. I’m still fairly confident all my top 20 not yet revealed makes it but a few others outside that will miss out.

I was also 13 but in 1983.  :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1049 on: June 30, 2022, 05:08:09 PM »
Blood Brothers (-)
Some parts I love, like the Janick's solo, some I like, like the chorus, and some I find a bit boring, like that kind of "russian theme" in the middle of the song (where Bruce commands the claping in Rock in Rio).

The Longest Day (#59)
The slow intro, that sometimes isn't the strongest part in some of the post 2000's material, here is fantastic indeed, it builds the tension incredibly well and I think there are some amazing, very creative guitar parts here.

The Red and the Black (-)
I love the instrumental section, but the rest of song is only OK.