Author Topic: Albums that represent fall to you  (Read 1835 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Albums that represent fall to you
« on: November 07, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »
Fall is probably my favorite season, and there's a lot of great music that I associate with it, either because of how the music feels or past listening associations.  While we still have a few weeks left of it, what music makes you think of it or do you find yourself listening to in this period?  There are usually several categories for me. 

Atmospheric metal albums, often of the doomy or spooky variety, like Type O Negative, Daylight Dies, Noumena, October Tide, November's Doom, Ram-Zet, Lethian Dreams, Evoken, Virgin Black, Swallow the Sun, etc.  Usually a lot of Opeth as well, and other artists who feature acoustic instrumentation like Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Nightrage, Eventide, Kingfisher Sky, Witherscape, Dimension Zero, etc. 

Folky acoustic stuff.  Some more guitar-oriented, like Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy, and Don Ross, or more balanced, like Iron & Wine, Nick Drake, Halifax Pier and such. 

Various jazz, sometimes classics that I got into earlier on like John Coltrane or Sonny Rollins, or artists I got into in the past decade, like Emily Remler. 

Offline HOF

Re: Albums that represent fall to you
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 03:48:27 PM »
A lot of this has to do with when I first heard an album. The first two Transatlantic albums are fall albums for that reason. It has less to do with a style than the memory of when I first heard them.

One album that sounds like fall that I first heard in the summer is The Clientele's Bonfires on the Heath. Several of the songs are lyrically set in fall too, which helps.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 09:07:52 PM »
October Rust by Type O Negative

/thread

:P
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 09:09:59 PM »

/thread

Yeah pretty much this.

Although Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain is pretty close.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 09:47:01 PM »
Agalloch's "The White" EP

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 10:28:50 PM »
The first one, and really the only one that comes to mind is El Cielo by dredg. Fall was when I discovered this album and the general vibe and feel of it remind me of fall.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 10:43:10 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:41:32 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 11:08:07 PM »
Funny folks mention Agalloch. I've always more heavily associated their stuff with winter.

The Mantle is definitely a Winter album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 12:10:34 AM »
Pretty much anything by Opeth.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 02:45:53 AM »
I agree with Opeth for sure. Especially their albums up until Watershed, the earlier 'classic' stuff has a strong autumn vibe for me. Agalloch is on that border of autumn and winter but they can work for autumn as well for me as their music makes me think of a cold grey landscape with no leaves on the trees. Some of the Sigur Rós albums - I think especially Agaetis Byrjun and ( ) also have that autumn/winter feel for me. Makes you think of a cold icelandic landscape.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 03:10:02 AM »
For me, it often comes to the time when I was listening to the album the most, especially if I was obsessed by it in certain seasons. So big no no for Agalloch (Ashes) from me :lol I remember I was listening to it during snowy winter 7-8 years ago (feeling old lol).
One of the first albums I remember is For Emma by Bon Iver, for reason mentioned above but also cover art is rain and it kinda has autumn vibe. Dead End Kings by Katatonia (most of their albums, really), even most of Riverside, Souvenirs by The Gathering.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 07:27:14 AM »
I don't know if I have an "album" or not, but I listen to a LOT of Sabbath in the October, November time period.  It's really weird (and conversely I listen to a LOT of Asia, Kiss and The Cars in the spring).

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 07:39:10 AM »
I don’t know if there’s any album that represents fall to me, but there are songs that give me that vibe. Something like Retrovertigo by Mr. Bungle, Disappear by Dream Theater, or Hurt by Nine Inch Nails where they have this feeling of one last desperate gasp of breath as the world dies around them, like animals scrambling to find food and shelter as leaves envelop the ground below them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 02:32:41 PM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 08:59:44 AM »
Dead End Kings by Katatonia (most of their albums, really)

Interestingly, although I listened to it quite a lot in '12 when it came out, I think I listened to it even more in the fall of '14, so it's forever indelibly attached to that period.  It doesn't receive as much love as most of their albums from what I've seen, but it's actually my favorite of theirs and thus one of my favorite albums ever. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 09:18:38 AM »

/thread

This.  Type O Negative in general, October Rust in particular. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 09:58:15 AM »
Sentenced - Frozen (specifically, the song Dead Leaves)

Amorphis - Skyforger (i bought this just before the fall in 2009)

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses, October Rust

Anything by Novembers Doom

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 10:01:44 AM »
Pretty much this one:

Lake Of Tears – Forever Autumn (1999)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 01:03:50 PM »
A lot of melancholic doom like Swallow the Sun, Draconian.
Favorite album: StS - When a Shadow is Forced Into the Light but also Hallatar - No Stars Upon the Bridge

Voices like Emma Ruth Rundle, Chelsea Wolfe and Lana del Rey.
Favorite album: Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked for Death

It represents autumn but I like it just as much on a sunny summer day.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 01:15:51 PM »
Pretty much anything by Porcupine tree.  Especially late fall, when the trees are almost leafless and everything is wet and dreary with a lot of fungus on the ground...but all in a cool kind of way. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 02:10:55 PM »
Hallatar - No Stars Upon the Bridge
Voices like Emma Ruth Rundle, Chelsea Wolfe and Lana del Rey.

Hallatar is one of my newer favorites, but I got into them in a winter, so the fall vibes are diminished a bit for me. 

Same with those sort of singer/songwriters, they don't feel as seasonal to me, but it's one of my favorite "newer" music scenes.  I historically haven't cared as much for Lana, and would substitute someone else like Marissa Nadler, Darkher or others, but I did finally get hooked on a song from Lana's latest, so maybe she'll start growing on me. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2021, 03:59:46 PM »
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2021, 06:30:27 PM »
Opeth is always a great fall band.

A lot of material by Blue Oyster Cult works great in fall.

Same goes for the early Porcupine Tree material (Up the Downstair through Signify) and the first two Steven Wilson solo albums (Insurgentes, Grace for Drowning).

Evermore by Taylor Swift sounds like it was made to be listened to on a cool autumn evening.

And of course, DT's Awake is an awesome fall album. It sure helps that it came out in the fall of 1994, so the association there is really strong.  :metal :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2021, 08:27:40 PM »
Well AVFTTOTW came out in fall of 2021 so it certainly qualifies as much as Awake..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lethean

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2021, 08:42:35 PM »
Dead End Kings by Katatonia (most of their albums, really)

Interestingly, although I listened to it quite a lot in '12 when it came out, I think I listened to it even more in the fall of '14, so it's forever indelibly attached to that period.  It doesn't receive as much love as most of their albums from what I've seen, but it's actually my favorite of theirs and thus one of my favorite albums ever.

You two have excellent taste. :)

I concur with the "most of their albums" but also Dead End Kings specifically.  I suppose I should throw in The Fall of Hearts as well, having Fall in the title.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 12:08:32 AM »
I always associate Porcupine Tree with winter, since it was winter when I started listening to them.

I clearly remember walking to work one day in a heavy blizzard, listening to the song Arriving Somewhere But Not Here on headphones.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 12:23:24 AM »
Funny folks mention Agalloch. I've always more heavily associated their stuff with winter.

An obvious fall album for me would be Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Another would be Jackson C. Frank's self-titled album.

One of the first albums I associated with fall was Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago too.

I mentioned The White EP primarily because I have a strong association and memory listening to it late in the afternoon at work in the Fall. Then again, I feel it is clearly my favorite thing Agalloch ever did, so if I listen to Agalloch, I usually listen to that EP, and it's often ended up being in the Fall, often on Friday afternoons.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 12:54:01 AM »
Genesis' Wind & Wuthering is a very autumnal album for me, especially following the quite Summer-y A Trick Of The Tail. The songs just evoke a cool fall day to me, coupled with the sort-of drab, greenish-gray album cover with its autumn leaves surrounding the album title.

Like a couple others here, I also associate Porcupine Tree with fall a bit, especially their first half of their discography with the more atmospheric elements, like The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify. And in relation to Steven Wilson, I'd also toss in the first two Blackfield albums as well.

And while I haven't listened to them in a little while, Big Big Train have some songs and albums that feel right at home during autumn.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2021, 01:24:55 AM »

/thread

Yup!

Id like to add "The Living Infinite" by Soilwork.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2021, 10:27:08 AM »
Folky acoustic stuff.  Some more guitar-oriented, like Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy, and Don Ross, or more balanced, like Iron & Wine, Nick Drake, Halifax Pier and such. 
This is me for sure.  In the fall I listen to more singer-songwriter, folk, bluegrass, etc.

With the winter, of course, comes Opeth.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2021, 10:52:58 AM »
I tend to play "The Raven That refused to Sing" a ton in the fall.  There's something about a cold day, leaves falling and the sun going down early that lends me to playing that album a lot driving.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
A Change of Seasons definitely has that Fall vibe going on. The music or even the guitar intro reminds me of leaves falling.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2021, 01:39:44 PM »
Genesis' Wind & Wuthering is a very autumnal album for me, especially following the quite Summer-y A Trick Of The Tail. The songs just evoke a cool fall day to me, coupled with the sort-of drab, greenish-gray album cover with its autumn leaves surrounding the album title.

Like a couple others here, I also associate Porcupine Tree with fall a bit, especially their first half of their discography with the more atmospheric elements, like The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify. And in relation to Steven Wilson, I'd also toss in the first two Blackfield albums as well.

And while I haven't listened to them in a little while, Big Big Train have some songs and albums that feel right at home during autumn.

-Marc.

Genesis in general.   Duke is autumnal as well (as are several of the b-sides of that era).  There's even a song (one of my favorites of all time): Evidence of Autumn.

Offline HOF

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2021, 01:55:31 PM »

-Marc.

Genesis in general.   Duke is autumnal as well (as are several of the b-sides of that era).  There's even a song (one of my favorites of all time): Evidence of Autumn.

Evidence of Autumn - great call.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2021, 02:21:15 PM »
Brahms Symphony #4
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2021, 02:51:17 PM »
Like a couple others here, I also associate Porcupine Tree with fall a bit, especially their first half of their discography with the more atmospheric elements, like The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify.

People keep mentioning PT, I've been mentally playing with how to respond, because they don't feel like an autumnal band to me on the whole.  Their 00s material does tend towards that direction though, especially IA, which I indeed did do my heaviest early listening to in a particular fall. 

Id like to add "The Living Infinite" by Soilwork.

This is a fascinating one.  This came out during a winter, and in general they don't feel like a seasonal band, though the season in which I finally got them to really click was a spring, but there are numerous tracks on this album that start with acoustic guitar passages, so it almost works in a way.  Of course, there might be some other aspect that makes it feel that way to you.