Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172149 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #3535 on: April 08, 2024, 08:41:06 AM »
Anybody looking forward to the Fallout series coming up next week? I suspect they'll do a pretty good job making it look great, but I have doubts as to if it'll be something I find entertaining. I can't shake the feeling that most of the charm and lightheartedness will be replaced by grit and intensity. Such is the way of things nowadays.

I am, it actually looks like it has potential to be good.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3536 on: April 08, 2024, 08:48:31 AM »
I am, it actually looks like it has potential to be good.
At least they did incorporate some humour in the trailer. I'm certainly hopeful, if not entirely optimistic. Also, Goggins as the Vault-Tec guy has the potential for greatness. I always thought Vault-Tec was one of the funniest parts of the whole thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3537 on: April 08, 2024, 11:32:31 AM »
Anybody looking forward to the Fallout series coming up next week? I suspect they'll do a pretty good job making it look great, but I have doubts as to if it'll be something I find entertaining. I can't shake the feeling that most of the charm and lightheartedness will be replaced by grit and intensity. Such is the way of things nowadays.
I'm with you there. It seems like most TV shows these days are just super gritty just for the sake of it. Considering the source material I definitely want some humor and charm that the games have. Obviously it should be somewhat gritty considering it's about a post-apocalyptic earth, but still.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #3538 on: April 08, 2024, 11:38:31 AM »
So, my son's been raving about this game, Outer Wilds. It's all about exploring space and time loops or something. Sounds pretty cool! Well, I jokingly said I might give it a shot, and he hits me with, "God, I wish you were a gamer."

I couldn't help but chuckle because, let's face it, I'm more likely to mess up the TV remote than master gaming controls. But who knows, maybe I'll surprise him one day. Any other parents out there feeling a bit lost in their kids' gaming worlds?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3539 on: April 08, 2024, 11:51:25 AM »
So, my son's been raving about this game, Outer Wilds. It's all about exploring space and time loops or something. Sounds pretty cool! Well, I jokingly said I might give it a shot, and he hits me with, "God, I wish you were a gamer."

I couldn't help but chuckle because, let's face it, I'm more likely to mess up the TV remote than master gaming controls. But who knows, maybe I'll surprise him one day. Any other parents out there feeling a bit lost in their kids' gaming worlds?
I'm closing in on 40 and I grew up gaming (from the original Nintendo to N64 to Playstations to mostly PC gaming these days) and I wish my dad had taken some interest in gaming with me. He never understood my fascination for video games and never even attempted to understand. For me, when I was younger, it was about trying to find something to bond with my dad over. Fortunately I found other things to bond over (music, dirt biking, working on cars and fabricating stuff for them, etc etc). However, to this day, I still wish he had gotten into gaming at least a little bit.

Something to think about. I don't know how old you are or how old your son is, but a lot of times it's not so much about the activity of gaming, but the bonding experience. Trying something that may be outside of your comfort zone because it's something that your kid is into. Just my 2 cents  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3540 on: April 08, 2024, 12:12:30 PM »

Outer Wilds is indeed a phenomenal game, one of the best I've ever played, if you are so inclined to try it I'd highly recommend it.

I'm looking forward to it, I love the FO universe

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3541 on: April 08, 2024, 12:13:28 PM »
As someone also approaching 40, I would be sooo happy when my dad would play NHL 95 with me on SNES.  But gaming wasn't a thing for him or his generation so it didn't really stick for him.  I think if I had a kid, it would be a lot easier for me to game with the kid because I've gamed my entire life. 

Funny enough, I regularly play COD with a father and son from Wisconsin.  I randomly gamed with the dad one day and he friended me in game so we have consistently played together for almost 3 years now and his son plays with him a lot, so the three of us would play.  They are in the same room, and it certainly leads to some awkward situations where those two argue with each other, but I generally think it's pretty cool.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3542 on: April 08, 2024, 12:18:15 PM »
As someone also approaching 40, I would be sooo happy when my dad would play NHL 95 with me on SNES.  But gaming wasn't a thing for him or his generation so it didn't really stick for him.  I think if I had a kid, it would be a lot easier for me to game with the kid because I've gamed my entire life. 

Funny enough, I regularly play COD with a father and son from Wisconsin.  I randomly gamed with the dad one day and he friended me in game so we have consistently played together for almost 3 years now and his son plays with him a lot, so the three of us would play.  They are in the same room, and it certainly leads to some awkward situations where those two argue with each other, but I generally think it's pretty cool.

God, I wish you were a gamer
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #3543 on: April 08, 2024, 03:35:19 PM »

Outer Wilds is an amazing game, you should totally give it a shot if you're interested at all.

I've gotten my mom into a few different games. She enjoys gaming but her skill level is pretty low, so most of the time when I introduce her to a game she'll only watch me play, like with Shadow of the Colossus, the Xenoblade games, and God of War (2018). But other times we'll play together if there's multiplayer, like New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Super Mario 3D World. My dad's pretty into gaming, but our interests rarely align; the only games we've played together a lot are Minecraft and Dead By Daylight (both of which my mom also loves playing).

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3544 on: April 08, 2024, 08:13:38 PM »
It's goddamn phenomenal.

I thought it was pretty good but not amazing. I'll probably play it again one day but for sure, without narration. The narration was good but it was just way too much for me.

I've been a fan since I first played Fallout 1 in 2001 or 2002 but I'm not really looking forward to this at all. I'll most likely watch it eventually though. Is it an original story or are there any storylines and characters from the games?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3545 on: April 08, 2024, 10:15:50 PM »
I've been a fan since I first played Fallout 1 in 2001 or 2002 but I'm not really looking forward to this at all. I'll most likely watch it eventually though. Is it an original story or are there any storylines and characters from the games?
It's an original story, set far enough away (LA) so as not to step all over the existing lore. Also, Todd Howard is one of the executive producers, so he probably further insured some continuity.

After looking at a couple of the trailers the attention to detail they put into it is really impressive. It's uncannily realistic, right down to the wall textures. And the gal they cast to be the vault-dweller is pretty much perfect, brimming with naivete. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3546 on: April 08, 2024, 10:24:01 PM »
It's an original story, set far enough away (LA) so as not to step all over the existing lore. Also, Todd Howard is one of the executive producers, so he probably further insured some continuity.

After looking at a couple of the trailers the attention to detail they put into it is really impressive. It's uncannily realistic, right down to the wall textures. And the gal they cast to be the vault-dweller is pretty much perfect, brimming with naivete.

I see. Bringing up Howard doesn't really inspire much confidence but I don't dislike the guy as much as the more rabid fans do. I'll take a decent Fallout show that doesn't get canceled after 2 seasons but doesn't go on way too long.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3547 on: April 08, 2024, 10:55:24 PM »
I see. Bringing up Howard doesn't really inspire much confidence but I don't dislike the guy as much as the more rabid fans do. I'll take a decent Fallout show that doesn't get canceled after 2 seasons but doesn't go on way too long.
Well, he does know the franchise and he doesn't want to see it shit on. In any case, I believe this is a one-off deal. Eight episodes, all released on Thursday. Don't know of any plans to continue it.  Here's the official trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg
E.F. Benson

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3548 on: April 08, 2024, 11:12:07 PM »
Well, he does know the franchise and he doesn't want to see it shit on. In any case, I believe this is a one-off deal. Eight episodes, all released on Thursday. Don't know of any plans to continue it.  Here's the official trailer.

I'm not big into trailers so I won't be watching that one. I watched one back when the show was announced or whatever. But yeah I know a little about Howard's history with Bethesda and he seems like he genuinely cares about these games. But he's easy to criticize/meme because he does the hype preview videos. I don't watch those either.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3549 on: April 09, 2024, 12:33:19 AM »
Interesting to see that the discussion here regarding Outer Wilds fits the general impression of it across the internet. I backed it on Fig (like Kickstarter but more pretentious) but thought it was ended up being a crushing bore of a game. Because I would, wouldn't I? :lol

My dad is dead now but back when I first got into computers, Christmas 1984 when I was 11, there was a popular game on the Spectrum (which spread like wildfire to other home computer formats) called Football Manager (the original original, not the current worldwide phenomenon, that's a different series which came from something called Championship Manager in the mid-90s). Probably the most addictive game I've ever played although my age and the uniqueness of the experience at the time would need to be factored in. Anyway, dad wasn't interested initially but something changed because three or four years later he got himself a Spectrum and he used to spend hours in the spare room playing early football management games, things like Tracksuit Manager. Fast forward years and years, into the noughties and he used to play the 'new' Football Manager series I referred to earlier. But he used to bemoan how complicated the series had become. He died in 2019. He's still a friend on Steam. And for all eternity, the game he last played will be recorded as Football Manager 2012. 17.9 hours played, and he last did so on 14 February 2012. By that time, we were concerned he might be having memory issues and it turns out he did. Vascular dementia took ahold pretty quickly.

Anyway, reluctant parents: just give it a go. If you really don't have the motor skills (and don't forget, not all games are controller based or mouse and keyboard, some are simpler. Besides, motor skills improve with practice, of course), perhaps you could simply watch over their shoulder and ask questions, be interested. And who knows, you might just create some memories that'll last a lifetime for both of you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 12:38:27 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3550 on: April 09, 2024, 03:32:32 AM »
I picked up Balatro couple of days ago. Already feeling this was a mistake.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3551 on: April 09, 2024, 03:52:51 AM »
They just released a patch that makes it all a bit easier. Which is great because I still can't get a first win :lol Missed out by 200 points a couple of weeks ago. Was not impressed.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

« Reply #3552 on: April 09, 2024, 06:57:33 AM »

Buckle up lol.

I'm now at like 7-8 wins, and the highest stake I've done is the Blue or Black one. It's fun!!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3553 on: April 09, 2024, 07:27:21 PM »
Interesting to see that the discussion here regarding Outer Wilds fits the general impression of it across the internet. I backed it on Fig (like Kickstarter but more pretentious) but thought it was ended up being a crushing bore of a game. Because I would, wouldn't I? :lol

Yeah I thought it was pretty awful to play, but I can see why people liked it. The way the whole thing operates like this little diorama is really cool, and it's got a great visual production and soundtrack. Unfortunately, the act of actually playing it was so frustrating for me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how it could have been better. But I simply did not enjoy rebooting for the 3rd/4th run just to get to a faraway planet and fail at the same platforming as last time. Once a game makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, I'm done with it. With that said...

Yeah I'm never touching this. lol.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3554 on: April 11, 2024, 08:34:43 AM »

IGN gave it a 9.  I'm likely watching some of it tonight.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3555 on: April 12, 2024, 11:58:11 PM »
Finally just won my first run in Balatro. If only I'd not misunderstood what the red background multiplier did all this time, eh? :lol

Edit: ...and just a few hours later, I've won my second game. And on a higher stake, too :lol Turns out that overall multiplier makes a big ass difference. Who knew?!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:25:16 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3556 on: April 13, 2024, 02:24:49 PM »
Despite being already playing too many games, I started a new file in Tears of the Kingdom on a long flight last week. I played Breath of the Wild to death, so I shouldn't have an issue sort of dipping in and out. So far I'm enjoying it more than I did first time around; the game world being the same as BOTW isn't as much of an issue now that I've taken a long break from Zelda. Minor miracle that the game doesn't just crash constantly with all the combining objects stuff, it is a technical marvel on that front.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3557 on: April 14, 2024, 11:34:45 AM »
It's goddamn phenomenal.

A masterpiece in contemplation, bitterness, longing and misery. A tradegy you can vigorously live through.

Small wonder I liked it so much.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3558 on: April 17, 2024, 07:26:36 AM »
25 hours into FF7 Rebirth and I have so many thoughts about this game.

On the plus side, it is just so impressive. Amazing cutscenes. Jaw-dropping combat. Awesome story moments. Fun characters. Ridiculous presentation. Mic-drop quality music and sound.

But there's just so much padding in this game. You can't go more than an hour without having to do some random mini-game. I haven't played the original, but I believe this is kind of how the original was too? If you have the nostalgia for it, I'm sure it's great, but for a newer fan without that context, sometimes I just want the game to get on with it. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3559 on: April 17, 2024, 11:27:58 AM »
Was hoping that the Ubisoft Star Wars game would be kinda like Assassins Creed but with Jedi across some large Star Wars locales. It seems like it will be more of a sideshow with a regular human with the shooting/stealth gameplay. Watchdogs in fantasy scifi perhaps? Did not look too exciting to me to be honest.

Despite being already playing too many games, I started a new file in Tears of the Kingdom on a long flight last week. I played Breath of the Wild to death, so I shouldn't have an issue sort of dipping in and out. So far I'm enjoying it more than I did first time around; the game world being the same as BOTW isn't as much of an issue now that I've taken a long break from Zelda. Minor miracle that the game doesn't just crash constantly with all the combining objects stuff, it is a technical marvel on that front.

It is indeed a technical marvel in my opinion. The game constantly challenges you do to the type of stuff that would definitely break boundaries or glitch out in most games. Somehow, it all just works. To me TotK is what people told me BotW would be. I absolutely loved it.

25 hours into FF7 Rebirth and I have so many thoughts about this game.

On the plus side, it is just so impressive. Amazing cutscenes. Jaw-dropping combat. Awesome story moments. Fun characters. Ridiculous presentation. Mic-drop quality music and sound.

But there's just so much padding in this game. You can't go more than an hour without having to do some random mini-game. I haven't played the original, but I believe this is kind of how the original was too? If you have the nostalgia for it, I'm sure it's great, but for a newer fan without that context, sometimes I just want the game to get on with it. :lol

Yeah, FFVII has a lot of random minigame stuff. To me, the best FF games are about the journey with a crew and all the events that occur on the way, be it big or small. But I have not played Rebirth yet, so will have to see if it strikes a good balance. And offcourse it heavily depends on the minigames and events themselves.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3560 on: April 17, 2024, 11:48:43 AM »
COD is really going hard for 4/20. 

They have a new limited time mode called "High Trip Resurgence" where you get different "gummies" from looting that give you powers.

They had already added Snoop Dogg to the game, but they have added more Snoop skins this season.

They have a skin pack for sale soon for Cheech and Chong. It includes a weapon that when you kill a player, it turns them into a joint.  It also comes with a finisher where Cheech or Chong will blow bong smoke into your face to kill you.

They had a mode live last weekend, only for four hours and twenty minutes, called "get high"

Now, I'm not really against all this, but it seems a bit too much weed for a game that is played by a large amount of children. I may end up buying that Cheech and Chong bundle though  :hat :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3561 on: April 17, 2024, 12:39:09 PM »
CoD is rated "M" for mature audiences. So this does not seem a bit too much at all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3562 on: April 17, 2024, 06:13:50 PM »
Was hoping that the Ubisoft Star Wars game would be kinda like Assassins Creed but with Jedi across some large Star Wars locales. It seems like it will be more of a sideshow with a regular human with the shooting/stealth gameplay. Watchdogs in fantasy scifi perhaps? Did not look too exciting to me to be honest.

What made you think the game was going to be about Jedi?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3563 on: April 18, 2024, 02:11:16 AM »
What made you think the game was going to be about Jedi?

Was hoping, not expecting, a man can dream.

To be honest, in a scifi fantasy universe with powered individuals and the coolest weapon out there, I just prefer playing as those. That or maybe a Mandolorian or something. A Han Solo kind of rogue can be cool for sure, but as a concept it excites me less. But if it turns out good, I'll go for it for sure.

And yes, I know the amazing Jedi games of EA, but I think a Soulslike is very different to an open world action adventure.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3564 on: April 18, 2024, 05:59:10 AM »
Was hoping, not expecting, a man can dream.

To be honest, in a scifi fantasy universe with powered individuals and the coolest weapon out there, I just prefer playing as those. That or maybe a Mandolorian or something. A Han Solo kind of rogue can be cool for sure, but as a concept it excites me less. But if it turns out good, I'll go for it for sure.

And yes, I know the amazing Jedi games of EA, but I think a Soulslike is very different to an open world action adventure.

Oh I agree. I'd much rather play as a Jedi. I'm not a big Souls fan and the backtracking in that first EA Jedi game was annoying. I haven't played the sequel. I'd be very interested in an open world Jedi game. I enjoyed every Assassin's Creed game to varying degrees but I've been unimpressed with Ubisoft's melee combat with the later ones. Their open world Greek mythology game had mediocre combat too.

From what little I know about this upcoming game (the title and picture of the box art) it always looked like it was going to be a shooter.

« Reply #3565 on: April 18, 2024, 08:11:09 AM »
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3566 on: April 18, 2024, 09:31:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to Hades II, I loved the first game.

« Reply #3567 on: April 18, 2024, 10:21:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm quite excited as well!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3568 on: April 18, 2024, 11:58:09 AM »
I had my ColecoVision pimped by Rugger's Customs.

He overhauls and cleans the whole thing and replaces/repairs what's needed.

Overhauled 2 standard controllers and took my 4 junky Super Action controllers and made 2 pristine ones.  He couldn't fix my roller controller as it had a chip that can't be fixed and he had no replacements so I let him keep it for parts.  I've just acquired another one that I'll be sending off along with my steering wheel and Atari expansion module.

He replaces the slider power switch with a rocker and also added lighting effects as well but the biggest deal was that he installs an RGB/composite mod so now the picture is super clean and crisp.  I'm just using the composite output for now but I had both installed to make it future-proof.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3569 on: April 18, 2024, 12:01:40 PM »
That's pretty cool, wasn't aware of such a service