Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 177102 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #3395 on: January 19, 2024, 11:21:04 AM »
Agreed. That just made me feel not so bothered about giving it a go!

Ignoring the fact that games are multi team endeavours so advertising any game as one man's vision/production is a bit shit, advertising that way seems a bit tone death considering the reception of the last two games he was heavily involved in.

"From the producer of Fallout 76 and Starfield!"

ehhhhhhh
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3396 on: January 19, 2024, 06:08:08 PM »
Indy is made by Wolfenstein devs (New Order and II were great). Those are experienced First Person devs. For me Hellblade 2 looks the best by far. Indy has potential but I wonder how fun the combat will be and how the story will hold up.

And apparently this was a large push by Todd Howard to get it realised with Disney. But I agree, his name is faaar from a seal of quality.

I want to believe in Avowed as Obsidian is a great studio, but the showing was bad. Hopefully not another Redfall, which was also made by a studio putting out great stuff prior (from Prey 2017 to Redfall 2023 makes me sad).

Also, Palworld makes Gamefreak and their shoddy Pokemon game visuals just look pathetic. Not that Palworld is that good looking, but at least it looks competent. Not my type of game, but god do I wish for a Pokemon game too look decent.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3397 on: January 21, 2024, 12:59:35 PM »
I've been playing The Finals recently and I still love that game, it's a blast. They just introduced an experimental solo mode which is great for when you don't have a team of 3.

For those that like Battlefield and want to see some cool destruction I highly recommend checking it out.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3398 on: January 21, 2024, 03:47:51 PM »
I am playing Pentiment and love it thus far. It is a dialouge driven medieval murder mystery game. The visual style is that of a religious medieval book (so interactive drawings).

Game seems heavily influenced by In the Name of the Rose and a little bit of Pillars of the Earth. Not a quick game, but a decades spanning tale with an eye for European history.

I think it is an adventure game (a classic one), but I suppose it plays the most like a dialouge driven RPG, like how dialouge works in a classic Bioware game. The gameplay is mostly dialouge trees with different routes, as well as some mild class/perk RPG elements that give you options/persuasion checks.

As it is an Xbox studios title by Obsidian, it is on gamepass. It was a passion project of the lead of Fallout New Vegas, though that is obviously a different type of experience, I think the man has eye for quality/detail.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3399 on: January 21, 2024, 06:15:19 PM »
Pentiment is so good. A friend recommended it to me several months ago and as someone who isn't entirely keen on heavy dialogue games I fell in love with the art style and mystery aspect of the game. Reading up on it I'm also glad the game director was able to make it considering he was toying around with the idea for over a decade.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3400 on: January 21, 2024, 08:39:40 PM »
I am playing Pentiment and love it thus far. It is a dialouge driven medieval murder mystery game. The visual style is that of a religious medieval book (so interactive drawings).

Game seems heavily influenced by In the Name of the Rose and a little bit of Pillars of the Earth. Not a quick game, but a decades spanning tale with an eye for European history.

I think it is an adventure game (a classic one), but I suppose it plays the most like a dialouge driven RPG, like how dialouge works in a classic Bioware game. The gameplay is mostly dialouge trees with different routes, as well as some mild class/perk RPG elements that give you options/persuasion checks.

As it is an Xbox studios title by Obsidian, it is on gamepass. It was a passion project of the lead of Fallout New Vegas, though that is obviously a different type of experience, I think the man has eye for quality/detail.

I loved Pillars of the Earth. I don't think I made it more than 10 pages of In The Name of the Choad.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3401 on: January 22, 2024, 02:08:22 AM »

I loved Pillars of the Earth. I don't think I made it more than 10 pages of In The Name of the Choad.

Only saw the film of Name of the Rose, which I really enjoy. Of Pillars I listened the audiobook and I enjoyed it as well.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3402 on: January 22, 2024, 06:03:25 AM »

Only saw the film of Name of the Rose, which I really enjoy. Of Pillars I listened the audiobook and I enjoyed it as well.

The following book was good too. I don't remember the title. I haven't read the third yet but I will...one day.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3403 on: January 22, 2024, 08:24:59 AM »
I've been playing The Finals recently and I still love that game, it's a blast. They just introduced an experimental solo mode which is great for when you don't have a team of 3.

For those that like Battlefield and want to see some cool destruction I highly recommend checking it out.

I started playing this yesterday. 

After a few very positive COD posts by me, they just seem to have been unable to stop the rampant cheating.  Before this weekend, I stopped playing for 10 days.  I logged back on Saturday afternoon to see the last thign I did, report a cheater, was confirmed  :lol I palyed one game, and actualyl won.  But I know this is COD's tactic.  If you haven't played in a bit, they will put you in an easier lobby to get you to want to keep playing before putting you back in a lobby with cheaters.  I took my one win and walked off.  I'm sure I'll come back, but I need a break.  It's no fun when you are constantly playing against people who will use any cheating tactic to get around the system (there was a new reWASD PC app that allowed keyboard and mouse players to get aim assist, apparently now banned, but from my understanding it's mostly talk and people can still use it, along with a cronus or anything else that people have and continue to use).  Point being, the game is in a bad state once again with cheating and it's not fun to play.

I had been playing PUBG the last two weeks instead.  They have a new map and it's an incredibly challenging game, but also very rewarding.  It's so annoying how they put you in literal bot lobbies until you get your feet wet, but I finally got out of that and was having some fun and got a couple wins, BUT this is such an old game.  Even with a new map, I'm just not loving it (and I feel it's because its too challenging and I need to commit myself a lot more to get competitive at it).

So that leads me to The Finals.  Heard a lot about this game from my tiktok as the next "COD killer" which we all know is BS, but it's free and figured I'd play it for an afternoon.  It's a lot of fun.  Very arcadey.  High TTK, lots of ways to play, and the full destruction of the map is probably the best part about it all.  Looking forward to digging into it more this week since as a noob, I can't really play a lot of different ways until I unlock things, but being a heavy and buldozing through the walls is so much fun.  Gun play seems to be solid too.  Had some good games yesterday, but I want to get better.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3404 on: January 22, 2024, 08:28:13 AM »
I played a lot of the beta, and it definitely distilled some of the best bits of B:BC2 into a more arcardey format. Great fun.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3405 on: January 22, 2024, 08:36:09 AM »
I played a lot of the beta, and it definitely distilled some of the best bits of B:BC2 into a more arcardey format. Great fun.

Yeah, if only Battlefield continued with that sort of destruction in their games....

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3406 on: January 22, 2024, 10:06:04 AM »
I played about an hour of the new roguelike mode (or what I used to know as a "horde" mode from the Gears of War days) in TLOU2 last night. It's pretty fun but I feel like it will wear out its welcome pretty quick. I think they really missed out on an opportunity for an awesome multiplayer mode with that (probably because they were too busy working on the new TLOU multiplayer game, which is now cancelled :lol).
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3407 on: January 24, 2024, 06:41:58 AM »
Heavy is my go-to in the Finals. It's been a blast so far. My only real complaint is that to have a great game you should really pair with 2 people you know instead of randos. I had a big issue with people constantly leaving and not being backfilled when I first started playing. It was sort of the same experience with Apex for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3408 on: January 24, 2024, 08:37:36 AM »
Heavy is my go-to in the Finals. It's been a blast so far. My only real complaint is that to have a great game you should really pair with 2 people you know instead of randos. I had a big issue with people constantly leaving and not being backfilled when I first started playing. It was sort of the same experience with Apex for me.

I've been playing heavy as well, but not sure it's my go to.  Just my first main to play with and get my feet wet in the game.  I definitely agree, you need to be playing with people to actually win because team work is too important in this game. I haven't had much time to play at all and won't for the rest of the week since my last post though.  Maybe this weekend I can get back into it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3409 on: January 28, 2024, 08:37:54 PM »
Finally finished the New Vegas DLCs. Pretty good stuff.

I've also played this very short title called milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk. Quite amazing art direction and also quite a tough subject matter.

And I guess I finally began Dark Souls. Sadly it's a bit laggy on my laptop, so I'll try to keep playing on my desktop PC, which I haven't used in months :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3410 on: January 29, 2024, 07:24:59 AM »
And I guess I finally began Dark Souls. Sadly it's a bit laggy on my laptop, so I'll try to keep playing on my desktop PC, which I haven't used in months :lol
I finally started playing it for the first time a few months ago (the only SoulsBorne games I've played and beaten are Demon's Souls and Elden Ring). I was enjoying it but I did find it a little difficult to go back to the original after all the refinements they made leading up to Elden Ring. Played it for around 10 hours before pivoting to Baldur's Gate, which I'm currently 40 hours into and fully addicted. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3411 on: February 06, 2024, 12:39:28 PM »
So Sony did a show a couple of days ago.

I am super stoked for Death Stranding 2. I consider 1 to be a fantastic game and a unique experience you cannot get anywhere else.

But I am a bit disappointed in the Sony PS5 lineup to be honest. Last year was basically Spider-Man 2 and this year amounts to Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin? Those game look solid, don't get me wrontg, but they are not made by the mainline PS studios I love so much nor do they look the part. Hopefully the PS5 will end up as stacked as the PS4 in it's final years.

I also wonder if Sony's live service plans have had an impact. Naughty Dog recently cancelled TLOU online after years of development. And it seems their massive investment in Bungie isn't going too well either.

And if I compare PSVR2 to PSVR1, the support is just a massive downgrade. I was interested but I was not expecting them to PS Vita the thing a couple of months in.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3412 on: February 07, 2024, 11:54:15 AM »
I didn't buy a PS4 until about 4-5 years into the generation since it took that long for it to gain enough exclusives to warrant buying. Seems like PS5 is might be even worse given how PS exclusives are now gradually making their way to PC.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3413 on: February 07, 2024, 12:00:11 PM »
I didn't buy a PS4 until about 4-5 years into the generation since it took that long for it to gain enough exclusives to warrant buying. Seems like PS5 is might be even worse given how PS exclusives are now gradually making their way to PC.

There's lots of rumors of Xbox exclusives making their way to PS lately

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3414 on: February 07, 2024, 12:23:11 PM »
Yeah, there's apparently going to be an announcement next week over the future of Xbox.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3415 on: February 07, 2024, 12:58:22 PM »
RIP
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3416 on: February 08, 2024, 06:30:52 AM »
If all those rumors are true, it will likely be a massive shift in gaming for the long term. I also think not having a major competitor is not a good thing in the console space (in regards to Sony).

That said, I do think MS will deliver a lot of good games in the coming years and their subscription service has been fantastic. If you could get that on basically any platform at some point, it would be a no brainer for me.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3417 on: February 08, 2024, 07:23:12 AM »
Helldivers II came out today. I put several hundred hours into the first one to much delight. I did the tutorial and played one mission before work this morning and absolutely loved it.   

It's cross platform (I think just PS5 and PC) and only $40. Give it a look!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3418 on: February 08, 2024, 08:23:57 AM »
Helldivers II came out today. I put several hundred hours into the first one to much delight. I did the tutorial and played one mission before work this morning and absolutely loved it.   

One of my friends mentioned this game to me.  It looks cool, but I'm not sure it's for me.  This is the same type of friend who will try to convince me to buy a game to play with him and then he'll give me every excuse in the world to not actually play it with me after I buy it  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3419 on: February 08, 2024, 08:27:28 AM »

One of my friends mentioned this game to me.  It looks cool, but I'm not sure it's for me.  This is the same type of friend who will try to convince me to buy a game to play with him and then he'll give me every excuse in the world to not actually play it with me after I buy it  :lol

It's very team-oriented. You can play it solo, but you get paired into squads of 4 and have to work together to complete objectives. This new version allows for armor changes that actually impact your character's movements and ability to play. I'm pretty excited about that. I always thought the game would lend itself well to "tank" builds and strategies. 

You might actually dig it because of the squad element. That's what Battlefield uses, right?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 08:34:01 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3420 on: February 08, 2024, 08:35:18 AM »

It's very team-oriented. You can play it solo, but you get paired into squads of 4 and have to work together to complete objectives. This new version allows for armor changes that actually impact your character's movements and ability to play. I'm pretty excited about that. I always thought the game would lend itself well to "tank" builds and strategies. 

You might actually dig it because of the squad element. That's what Battlefield uses, right?

Battleifled is PvP though, and the current iteration doesn't rely on the squad element much at all.  The PvE stuff makes me think the game will go stale quick unless you are consistently playing with your friends.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3421 on: February 08, 2024, 08:43:46 AM »

Battleifled is PvP though, and the current iteration doesn't rely on the squad element much at all.  The PvE stuff makes me think the game will go stale quick unless you are consistently playing with your friends.

I'm curious to see how it plays out long term, but this game takes place across the galaxy. There are essentially infinite worlds that will be procedurally generated, along with their objectives, locations, day/night cycles, and enemies, making repetitive levels a thing that won't really happen. You'll have similar environments, sure, but you won't be playing the same scenarios in the same places over and over again.

At least that's what the devs say.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3422 on: February 08, 2024, 08:51:55 AM »
So many games tout that.  Just like at Starfield which I couldn't even be bothered to finish.  I'm not saying the game sucks, it just may not be for me.  And honestly, it may be for me and I just don't know.  I've watched some videos, it does look cool.  I just feel like I'd pay the $40 and hardly play it after this weekend.

And what really sucks is I'm kind of in a gaming slump.  The last month or so I've been struggling to find a game to play that I enjoy.  The Finals is fun but super limited and already stale.  PUBG is still a great game, but soooo difficult and full of cheaters from Asia. Battlefield is in a decent spot right now, only took a couple years, but it's still feels like the same Battlefield I played for over 100 hours at this point so it's not too interesting for me.

COD just had their season 2 update yesterday.  I played that and had some fun and some of the usual frustrations.  I'm debating if I want to get the battle pass and grind out the season for the next month or so, but yesterday's gaming session left me very meh overall and I feel like if I continue to play its just to have something to play.

I probably should just get Helldivers 2 and stop being so cheap with my games, but well, yeah, I'm cheap on my games these days.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3423 on: February 08, 2024, 08:59:09 AM »
If you end up giving it a shot, give me a shout. I'd love to play with people I know.. just not this weekend, though. I'll be in NYC until next Tuesday!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3424 on: February 08, 2024, 09:01:26 AM »
Never heard of this Helldivers game, so I wondered if it was related to the book series with the same name. It seems like it's not, even if the premise is very similar :dunno:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3425 on: February 08, 2024, 09:05:52 AM »
If you end up giving it a shot, give me a shout. I'd love to play with people I know.. just not this weekend, though. I'll be in NYC until next Tuesday!

Nice, yeah, I'd need someone to play with and maybe giving the game the weekend to be played will show me if I should get it or not.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3426 on: February 08, 2024, 12:53:07 PM »
we're on page 69 in the video games thread :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3427 on: February 14, 2024, 05:57:01 PM »
Got tomb raider remastered. I think they did a decent job. I was a huge fan of the originals as a kid

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3428 on: February 14, 2024, 06:35:46 PM »
we're on page 69 in the video games thread :metal

nice

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3429 on: February 16, 2024, 03:14:14 AM »
Got tomb raider remastered. I think they did a decent job. I was a huge fan of the originals as a kid

Apparently one of the leads on the remaster was a guy who was originally working on fan remakes for a good number of years.

https://twitter.com/XProger_san/status/1757892574092636206