Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172192 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #3290 on: December 05, 2023, 11:23:09 AM »
I've never been more excited for a video game, and that includes Avatar - Frontiers of Pandora, which comes out in two days.   

Everything in that trailer looked amazing. The lighting and population density seem too good to be true, and the water and hair physics look like they're going to set a new bar. I've watched the preview about a dozen times now, freeze framing it every time there's a cut, and I can't get over just how much stuff there is.

I expect the graphics to improve even further. If you look at the graphics shown in the GTA-V and RDR2's launch trailers, despite already looking amazing, they still looked a bit dated by the time the games actually released.   

Somebody posted a leak to r/GTA6 over a month ago, basically a giant wall of text, all of which was confirmed to be true in yesterday's trailer. That poster also claimed a Q1 release. Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 11:43:27 AM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3291 on: December 05, 2023, 11:25:36 AM »
There was also this

https://www.gamesradar.com/gta-6s-trailer-date-was-teased-months-ago-in-a-cryptic-gta-online-t-shirt/

which might imply April 1st 2025 as the release date... or April Fools.  Either way, the timing does kind of align.  I'd imagine that maybe April 1st is a target date, but so far away and without an official date, they probably want to leave wiggle room for now.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3292 on: December 05, 2023, 01:44:36 PM »
Yeah, I still think they're just in no hurry to release thing thing. Between now and 4/2025 GTA-V is going to bring in another cool billion for them. I imagine this trailer release, along with the impending new release will kick up interest in 5 even further. There's no point in stealing its thunder with a new release. Moreover, it could wind up being absolutely terrible, but like we just saw back in September, crappy games still sell like crazy. They'll make a killing off of it once it does drop.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3293 on: December 05, 2023, 01:50:58 PM »
Yeah, I still think they're just in no hurry to release thing thing. Between now and 4/2025 GTA-V is going to bring in another cool billion for them. I imagine this trailer release, along with the impending new release will kick up interest in 5 even further. There's no point in stealing its thunder with a new release. Moreover, it could wind up being absolutely terrible, but like we just saw back in September, crappy games still sell like crazy. They'll make a killing off of it once it does drop.

I kind of doubt the game will be terrible, just because Rockstar has a solid track record, but I really worry about over hype and being let down moreso than anything.  The obsession over any news for this game is over the top IMO.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3294 on: December 05, 2023, 07:43:34 PM »

I kind of doubt the game will be terrible, just because Rockstar has a solid track record, but I really worry about over hype and being let down moreso than anything.  The obsession over any news for this game is over the top IMO.

I like the GTA series a lot and have played/beaten almost all of them but I couldn't give less of a shit about GTA VI. I don't know if it's because I'm getting old but I just don't get excited about new games coming out. I hate how they're announced so fucking early. I still love video games and spend most of my time playing them but I'll wait until GTA 6 is at least 50% off for the PC.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3295 on: December 05, 2023, 07:57:44 PM »
I will agree with you Herrick, I typically don't like announcements far in advance. If it were me things would be announced, at most, 6 months from release.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3296 on: December 05, 2023, 08:34:10 PM »
I will agree with you Herrick, I typically don't like announcements far in advance. If it were me things would be announced, at most, 6 months from release.
Indeed. I've been irritated with Bethesda for this very reason. They did it right with Fallout 4 by announcing the game then releasing it within a few months, but Elder Scrolls 6? It was announced in 2018 and nothing since. And we may not see any updates on it for another 2 years.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3297 on: December 05, 2023, 09:30:18 PM »
Indeed. I've been irritated with Bethesda for this very reason. They did it right with Fallout 4 by announcing the game then releasing it within a few months, but Elder Scrolls 6? It was announced in 2018 and nothing since. And we may not see any updates on it for another 2 years.

I didn't know Fallout 4 was announced and released in such a short time. That's pretty cool.

When they announce a game years before it comes out, I tend to forget about it, ignore all the previews, then I hear it's coming out in a few days and I'm like, "Oh cool. I didn't realize that".

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3298 on: December 05, 2023, 09:46:26 PM »

I didn't know Fallout 4 was announced and released in such a short time. That's pretty cool.

Yeah, it was announced at E3 2015, then released in November.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3299 on: December 05, 2023, 10:10:20 PM »

I doubt it, too. If you like GTA-5 this will almost certainly be spectacular, and for some reason a whole lot of people fucking loved GTA5-5. Even if 6 is the greatest game in the history of gaming, why release it while its predecessor is still raking in beau coup dollaros? If it's wonderful it might still be too early and, on the small chance it sucks, it'll be way too early. Setting a launch date 16 months in advance is pretty shrewd. They can open it up whenever the market demands it.

Perhaps this is the luxury that Beth lacked. Bethesda was married to a release date, pushed it back once, and even then it clearly needed quite a bit more development. R* probably has a completed game, ready whenever market circumstances dictate its release, and can spend the interim continuing to improve it.

A dear friend of mine invested in TTW way back in the original SA days, and I can't wait to hit him up about it now.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #3300 on: December 06, 2023, 06:54:10 AM »
Someone made a side by side compilation of the real life events that inspired GTA VI in the trailer, it's uncanny.

https://old.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/18c0myp/the_gta_vi_trailer_references_some_very_real_and/?ref=share&ref_source=link
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3301 on: December 06, 2023, 08:38:04 AM »

I like the GTA series a lot and have played/beaten almost all of them but I couldn't give less of a shit about GTA VI. I don't know if it's because I'm getting old but I just don't get excited about new games coming out. I hate how they're announced so fucking early. I still love video games and spend most of my time playing them but I'll wait until GTA 6 is at least 50% off for the PC.

I'm not quite on your level, but not far off.  It's actually a lot like the Bethesda games for me.  I've played them all (OK, I've played all the main GTA games, and the last 5 or so Bethesda titles) and the missions don't change much in the end.  You still do the same fetch, chase, stealth, steal, whatever missions that I've been doing the last ~20 years playing these games.  I get less and less interested in the doing the story line missions on each release.  Like I didn't finish Starfield.  I didn't finish RDR2.  I got bored of the same ole same ole type of missions.  I expect nothing different from GTA6 on that front.  However, I really enjoyed GTA5 online for a long time.  I think GTA6 online is going to be where the fun is at and that's why I still have excitement.

Someone made a side by side compilation of the real life events that inspired GTA VI in the trailer, it's uncanny.

https://old.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/18c0myp/the_gta_vi_trailer_references_some_very_real_and/?ref=share&ref_source=link

The use of real life "florida man/woman" images/videos is incredible.

In other gaming news, today is the big Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 integration into Warzone.  This is one of the reasons I didn't buy MW3, because the integration into Warzone is free so I'll finally get to play with all the new guns and features, and the new warzone map! Very exciting day for the COD community.  I'll be playing all night I imagine, but i'll be at a disadvantage since everyone else will have things levelled up if they bought the game.  Oh well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3302 on: December 07, 2023, 06:05:32 AM »
How is the cheating in Warzone these days Marc? It's been a while since I've played but I remember a ton of complaints about cheaters when I was into WZ

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3303 on: December 07, 2023, 07:57:13 AM »
I'll be honest, I've always been more of a RDR guy than a GTA guy, but I can't deny how incredible that trailer looked.

Is anyone interested in the Last of Us 2 remaster? I will admit that I caved and pre-ordered the physical version because its box art is so damn good, even though I could have just gotten the cheaper $10 upgrade. :lol The new survival mode actually looks really fun.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3304 on: December 07, 2023, 08:26:37 AM »
Anyone play the Uncharted series?  I finished 1, and am working through "Brutal Mode" on 2.  Probably the hardest (along with parts of Injustice and Resident Evil 2, Ghost Survivors "No Way Out" mode) video game I've had to play. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3305 on: December 07, 2023, 08:55:14 AM »
Anyone play the Uncharted series?  I finished 1, and am working through "Brutal Mode" on 2.  Probably the hardest (along with parts of Injustice and Resident Evil 2, Ghost Survivors "No Way Out" mode) video game I've had to play. 
I've played Uncharted 4 a few times. Amazing game!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3306 on: December 07, 2023, 09:00:35 AM »
How is the cheating in Warzone these days Marc? It's been a while since I've played but I remember a ton of complaints about cheaters when I was into WZ

It's still bad, and got worse recently.  Apparently the update includes new anti-cheat tactics, but who knows.

I played a lot last night and really enjoyed the update, game feels a lot smoother and new map is fun so far.  I had PTO to burn or lose before the end of the year so I'm off today and tomorrow to grind the game.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #3307 on: December 07, 2023, 06:36:12 PM »

I played 4 first, and then the first three in order. I really liked the spectacle and characters, although the gameplay wasn't much fun for me. I can believe the Brutal difficulty being the hardest thing you've played, because I struggled with all of these games on just the Normal difficulty (to the point where I had to bump the difficulty down to easy in 1 and 2 just to finish them). I've played and beaten games harder than this series, so I'm not sure what gave me so much trouble with Uncharted. Maybe I'm just not good at shooters specifically? Interestingly, though, I've never seen anyone mention the games' difficulty until now, it's usually just story, graphics, everything about the gameplay besides difficulty.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3308 on: December 07, 2023, 07:32:36 PM »
Free God of War: Ragnarok DLC “Valhalla” coming on the 12th of this month

https://youtu.be/Rx3yBQBVI98?si=dvN_JJcBLH-nYEte

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3309 on: December 08, 2023, 07:21:00 AM »
anyone check the game awards?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3310 on: December 08, 2023, 07:45:25 AM »
Was at a sporting event and the whole row got MW3 Vault edition!!
I'm a COD player pretty much the only game i play.
Fun stuff, looks pretty good. Warzone has arrived.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3311 on: December 08, 2023, 07:54:36 AM »

I played 4 first, and then the first three in order. I really liked the spectacle and characters, although the gameplay wasn't much fun for me. I can believe the Brutal difficulty being the hardest thing you've played, because I struggled with all of these games on just the Normal difficulty (to the point where I had to bump the difficulty down to easy in 1 and 2 just to finish them). I've played and beaten games harder than this series, so I'm not sure what gave me so much trouble with Uncharted. Maybe I'm just not good at shooters specifically? Interestingly, though, I've never seen anyone mention the games' difficulty until now, it's usually just story, graphics, everything about the gameplay besides difficulty.

Games are weird for me; I am by no means a high level gamer. I get consistently crushed on the Call Of Duty multiplayers; I don't know if it's cheating or lag or I just suck, but I'm leaning toward "I suck".   In any event, I do see a learning curve, a benefit of repetition.  I'm now at level 18 (out of 26) and it is sort of getting "easier" in the sense of expectations.  It's still hard but it's getting passable.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3312 on: December 08, 2023, 08:07:34 AM »
This was the first year I watched the whole thing from start to finish. Holy cow, 90% of it is just ads. Baldur's Gate 3 cleaned up as expected.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3313 on: December 08, 2023, 08:15:20 AM »
Was at a sporting event and the whole row got MW3 Vault edition!!
I'm a COD player pretty much the only game i play.
Fun stuff, looks pretty good. Warzone has arrived.

:metal :metal got my first warzone win yesterday on the new map, I didn't get MW3 though so at a huge disadvantage right now with all the people who have full loadouts of max level guns. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3314 on: December 08, 2023, 05:00:58 PM »
This was the first year I watched the whole thing from start to finish. Holy cow, 90% of it is just ads. Baldur's Gate 3 cleaned up as expected.

Yeah, that's been the trend of these awards.  Lots of ads and trailers and it's getting to the point where the actual award presentation is taking a backseat when it comes to priorities in this presentation.  On a side note, I do enjoy the Poets of the Fall performance and I hope this gets enough buzz that may convince them to do a tour in the states.  Also, I always enjoy it when they are announcing the nominees for Game of the Year award where they got this orchestra playing and this flute guy going crazy in his playing being very animated.

« Reply #3315 on: December 08, 2023, 06:34:13 PM »
i did notice the host guy seemed like a megalomaniac. every time they showed a trailer he was like "wow i got to play that about a year ago at an exclusive preview event, but i hope you guys enjoy it when it comes out next summer!!" also the guy was cringe as all hell
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3316 on: December 12, 2023, 01:35:14 PM »
Light No Fire Announcement Trailer

This looks interesting.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3317 on: December 12, 2023, 01:42:18 PM »
I'm enjoying the new COD Warzone update from last week.  The new map seems nice so far and the updates have been great.  But the gameplay is still the same and I'm starting to get bored with it.  The new map will keep my interest for a bit, but not sure for how long.  The only things I know for 2024 of COD so far are all "bringing back old maps" and that's not going to cut it for me.

Look at what Fortnite is doing right now.  Their bread and butter is and has been a battle royale game, but they've grown the game so much that they now have all these other modes that are not battle royale. Racing game, a survival lego game that is very popular.... they are killing it because they are being creative.  (and yes, they even still celebrate the classic modes as well)

COD is really slumping right now.  Even with positive changes, the game, at the end of the day, is still the same.  The one new mode that offered that different experience, DMZ, is no longer supported.  I was finally just really loving it. 

I think in the coming months, I may need a new game to play regularly and sadly, I don't see anything on the market to scratch that itch COD used to. I don't see myself playing fortnite, but I do envy how that game continues to dominate the space.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: December 12, 2023, 09:35:59 PM »
Marc you should check out Tribes 3, it's still being developed but the foundation of the game is solid and the playtests are free, you just have to request it on Steam.

« Reply #3319 on: December 14, 2023, 10:32:37 AM »
anyone gaming?
Welcome to the Forums!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3320 on: December 14, 2023, 10:45:09 AM »
Marc you should check out Tribes 3, it's still being developed but the foundation of the game is solid and the playtests are free, you just have to request it on Steam.

I've heard of Tribes before, but not familiar wtih the previous games at all.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3321 on: December 14, 2023, 04:22:17 PM »
anyone gaming?

Herrick has been playing Sniper Elite 5 and CrossCode.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3322 on: December 14, 2023, 04:31:02 PM »
CrossCode is very good. I was finally about to roll credits the last time I played and the DLC was really fun as well.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #3323 on: December 14, 2023, 05:08:42 PM »
I played CrossCode earlier this year, I really liked it, too. In my Top 5 games I played this year for sure. I plan on playing the DLC after I finish a few more games on my backlog.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3324 on: December 14, 2023, 05:44:04 PM »
Speaking of Indie games, I began to play both Ori and the Blind Forest, and Darkwood. Quite meh tbh. I got Doom (2016) for the Switch and it's been quite fun so far.