Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172167 times)

Offline PMSummer

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #3080 on: September 01, 2023, 01:10:55 PM »
I'm not really into video games, but I do have a soft spot for space-related stuff. My son got me to try out Nobodies Sky a while back, and I found exploring the universe and visiting planets pretty cool. Now, I see this new game called Starfield is out, and I'm wondering if it's anything like that.

I've been reading some posts here, and people are saying you can't fly around in Starfield? Is that true? The idea of flying around in a spaceship was one of the things I enjoyed in Nobodies Sky, so if Starfield doesn't have that, I might reconsider giving it a try.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3081 on: September 01, 2023, 01:50:11 PM »
It is apparently much more instanced, and it utilises fast travel much more than NMSs more free-form exploration.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3082 on: September 01, 2023, 06:14:09 PM »
I'm having a great time with Armored Core 6. Really caters to my inner mech pilot fantasy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3083 on: September 02, 2023, 06:30:16 AM »
Activated my free game pass ultimate, starfield is pre installing for the 5th.  Although since I'm back on the road on the 7th to Atlanta, I may not bother playing until after I get back.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3084 on: September 02, 2023, 06:30:50 AM »
Oooh, Starfield not reviewing too well at this point. Explains why they literally wouldn't let the harder to please UK press anywhere near the review code.

A 87 average is great. Not sure why so many gamers are hell bent that a 0,3-0,5 decimal difference in an average of a couple of dozen of opinions is such a big deal/difference. The game got more 9s and 10s than 7s.

Also, how many new IP's score so high? Not many. Or where the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsuchima, Returnal etc. also disappointments?  Or even reboots/sequels like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Pikmin 4, and Armored Core. Or, say, the entire Resident Evil series since 4. 

I am always so baffled by review discussions about games.

Furthermore, Starfield reviews came out before the game launch (even the premium). I don't know what went wrong with the UK outlets, but it wasn't a "please buy game before reviews hit" thing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3085 on: September 02, 2023, 07:48:57 AM »
Alot of the reviews saying you don't really fly around in space, you can only fast travel to planets?  That's bad if that's the case.

Correct.

Looks like there are some real Bethesda fans here but for me the whole thing is deeply flawed. The entire game is stuck in about 2010, mechanically and technologically.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3086 on: September 02, 2023, 07:53:58 AM »
To me, it looks to me from the reviews like it's a typical Bethesda game underneath the new coat of paint. Which if you like that kind of thing, great, but I'll be honest, I tired of their particular formula around fallout 3.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3087 on: September 02, 2023, 07:55:18 AM »
I haven't played Starfield but I have listened to a few game podcasts about it and it seems like another Bethesda game, which is expected from Bethesda Game Studios. I get people maybe are tired of that style of game but it's like buying a Far Cry game and expecting it to be a game in the style of the Last Of Us.

The stakes to try Starfield are super low, get a month of Game Pass and play it, buy it on steam and return it after a couple of hour if it isn't your jam.

I'm super pumped to try it myself, but it won't be until I get back from vacation.

One a completely different topic I downloaded Dave the Diver for my Steam Deck and that game is a ton of fun so far.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: September 02, 2023, 08:08:08 AM »
Alot of the reviews saying you don't really fly around in space, you can only fast travel to planets?  That's bad if that's the case.

Correct.

Looks like there are some real Bethesda fans here but for me the whole thing is deeply flawed. The entire game is stuck in about 2010, mechanically and technologically.

Yeah, I'm a fan, and the bolded is no surprise.  I just hope I can get a good amount of enjoyment before I reach my "typical bethesda game" wall.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3089 on: September 02, 2023, 09:17:55 AM »
On the other hand, these games also get modded to hell and back so with luck the mod community will make things more interesting over the next year or two.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: September 02, 2023, 09:26:32 AM »
Yes, absolutely true!

It's certainly a case of diminishing returns for me. Morrowind was amazing 20 years ago. Oblivion wasn't bad. Skyrim was good. Fallout 3, very enjoyable. Fallout 4, been here before.

To be fair, these are my very early first impressions since I've only played for a brief time. I deliberately didn't follow the pre-release stories because I wanted as much of the game and its scope as possible to be a surprise. But the fact it feels like every other Bethesda game in the last, what, 15 years (just checked: I mean 17 years which is how long ago Oblivion was released... bloody hell! Will someone stop the clock?!), really should come as no surprise whatsoever to me.

Anyway, I'm finally going to play a little more now.

ReaperKK, I was loving Dave the Diver a few weeks ago then something else came along and it went on the back burner. Edit: ah, turns out it was Aliens Dark Descent, bought a couple of months after release. And Aliens was superseded by Baldur's Gate 3. The life of a 50 year old gamer with too much time, eh?!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 10:14:47 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline krands85

« Reply #3091 on: September 02, 2023, 09:31:55 AM »
The only one of these big Bethesda games I've played before was Fallout 3 and I didn't play it for very long, so I guess I'm not going to get tired of the 'Bethesda formula' as quickly as others.  ;D

I need to work out the best way to play the game though, as the majority of my time so far has been scanning areas, picking up junk and then having to deal with inventory management.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3092 on: September 02, 2023, 11:21:15 AM »
That's an interesting criticism. It's not invalid by any means, but I'm not sure what people honestly want. Set a course and then putz around your ship for the next 7 hours while you travel?

Commander Data, how long until we reach Smegma 8?
At our current speed 8 hours, 24 minutes, and 12 seconds.
Alright, I'll be in my ready room listening to boring French music.

I suspect Beth could have made it the case that you could deal with things on your ship, crafting and whatnot, and then skip time when you're bored with it, and I'm sure there will be a mod for that.

To me the issue isn't fast traveling between planets. What's necessary is the opportunity for random encounters happening during that travel. Distress signals. Giant green space hands. Surprise attacks. Weird comets. If they can incorporate that sort of thing into the travel mechanics it'll be fine. If it's not there then, yeah, it's a huge wasted opportunity.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3093 on: September 02, 2023, 04:10:26 PM »
The criticisms come from comparisons to games like No Man's Sky.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3094 on: September 03, 2023, 04:52:59 PM »
Ok so I played Starfield. Having a good time with it, but I do feel the space exploration part is bad. If you as a player are going to focus on that, I think the chances are fairly high it will dissapoint. Basically, the game can be really great if you play in a way that aligns with it's qualities. I approach it like it is something like Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect (go to the planets needed and do as much content while being there). And I think the game has a lot to offer on that front. But it is most definitely not something like No Mans Sky or Elite.

In a way it reminds me of Cyberpunk. I love that game a lot (played a later version, mind you), but if you are going to approach it like a GTA or Watchdogs title, the experience will be bad. Basically, the city was a damn nice looking hub for tons of great content, but the game was marketed as an open world sandbox, while it kind of wasn't. In similar fashion, Starfield is not really a free form exploration title, while the marketing set expactions on that regard. At least, that is not the ideal way of playing/experiencing the title it seems to be. What it does offer is a shit ton of classic Bethesda content and good core gameplay (the shooting feels great). And there seem to be dozens upon dozens of hours of worthwile content in that regard.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3095 on: September 03, 2023, 07:30:49 PM »
On the other hand, these games also get modded to hell and back so with luck the mod community will make things more interesting over the next year or two.

I usually buy these Bethesda games (except Fallout 76) right when they come out. I've enjoyed them all but I think I'm going to wait for at least a year before buying Starfield. I'm gonna try to hold out until it's at least 50% off. Actually I just checked the price and saw it's $70 so I'm going to try and wait for more than 50% off.

But then again I like playing these games unmodded on my first play-through and if I wait that long, there will be tons of mods out and they'll be too tempting not to use. Hmmm.....
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3096 on: September 03, 2023, 09:18:19 PM »
i will not be playing starfield because pronouns... i do NOT have an issue with other people having pronouns to be clear!! i'm happy that the option is there for they/them! but, it forces me to choose, i've never had pronouns and am uncomfortable at the idea of being forced to start now...

personally i've been playing fall guys with my twins when they're at their mother's... silly game but i appreciate that there's a character in a game with a body type representative of mine :lol :lol :lol
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3097 on: September 03, 2023, 10:07:18 PM »
i will not be playing starfield because pronouns... i do NOT have an issue with other people having pronouns to be clear!! i'm happy that the option is there for they/them! but, it forces me to choose, i've never had pronouns and am uncomfortable at the idea of being forced to start now...

Hopefully there will be a mod that can address that.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3098 on: September 04, 2023, 01:43:12 AM »

personally i've been playing fall guys with my twins when they're at their mother's... silly game but i appreciate that there's a character in a game with a body type representative of mine :lol :lol :lol

I don't really understand this tbh, the default is literally he/him for male characters, probably the pronouns people have used to refer to you for your entire life? Saying you never had pronouns is odd, as probably 99.9% of people use them to refer to a person. Given you have a male symbol under your usename, I would assume to use he/him to refer to you.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 02:37:14 AM by ErHaO »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3099 on: September 04, 2023, 02:41:23 AM »

I don't really understand this tbh, the default is literally he/him for male characters, probably the pronouns people have used to refer to you for your entire life? Saying you never had pronouns is odd, as probably 99.9% of people use them to refer to a person. Given you have a male symbol under your usename, I would assume to use he/him to refer to you.
Pretty much this. It's a stupid reason to not play a game, to be honest. Nothing is being forced on you.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3100 on: September 04, 2023, 03:46:56 AM »
While I respect your right to hold an opinion, ProgMasterMind92, I also hold the right to find that opinion fucking ridiculous. You have 'had' pronouns literally your entire life (edit: ErHaO's already made this point, didn't notice before I posted). Just select whatever is relevant to your character and move on.

As for the game, I'm still playing it. And/but I'm not really sure why. I think Mack, from the Worth a Buy a YouTube channel, has got it right on this occasion. The game is nothing but a series of boxes. Regardless, there's obviously *something* there because I am still picking at it :)
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3101 on: September 04, 2023, 04:52:17 AM »

The bolded words would be, in fact, pronouns.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3102 on: September 04, 2023, 05:18:43 AM »
i said i have no problem with others having pronoun's it just felt weird / wrong to retroactively grandfather me into this new movement... but in light of your comments i checked dictionary and apparently i was mistaken... carry on (my wayward sons) :lol :lol
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3103 on: September 04, 2023, 07:49:11 AM »
ReaperKK, I was loving Dave the Diver a few weeks ago then something else came along and it went on the back burner. Edit: ah, turns out it was Aliens Dark Descent, bought a couple of months after release. And Aliens was superseded by Baldur's Gate 3. The life of a 50 year old gamer with too much time, eh?!

That's why I'm trying to force myself to finish BG3, otherwise I'll just keep hopping from game to game :lol.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3104 on: September 04, 2023, 08:50:05 AM »
I've had 3 hours to play BG3 over the past 3 weeks. I miss the days I could afford to spend 3 full days binging on an RPG. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3105 on: September 04, 2023, 09:42:12 PM »

Pretty much this. It's a stupid reason to not play a game, to be honest. Nothing is being forced on you.

Agreed. Apparently this a thing as I've seen a few clips of streamers having absolute meltdowns over the pronoun choice :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3106 on: September 04, 2023, 09:54:21 PM »

Agreed. Apparently this a thing as I've seen a few clips of streamers having absolute meltdowns over the pronoun choice :lol
When I went through character creation I didn't even notice it was a choice. Then I saw a few threads pop up on the Steam Starfield discussions of people complaining about it. And honestly who cares. If you really don't like it, you can mod it out.  :\
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3107 on: September 04, 2023, 11:40:56 PM »
You can't move for threads about it in the Steam forum. That and claiming Starfield is 'woke'. Whatever that really means. It's similar in the Baldur's Gate 3 forum. Seems such a weird obsession to me.

Anyway, still lumbering on with Starfield and still not sure whether it's fun :lol But at least I'm starting to get some sort of value for money out of it! They're wildly different, of course, but I do feel BG3 is a much superior game. But I can't explain why I've set that aside in favour of Starfield. Humans are odd.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3108 on: September 05, 2023, 02:52:40 AM »
I think Starfield is a really good game, but it makes a very so-so first impression. A lot of people are saying it gets better the more you play (if you treat it like a classic RPG and not a space exploration title). And that seems to hold true for me as well. I absolutely love the setting and once I am on a compelling planet/piece of land, I am completely immersed and searching every nook and cranny for items/gear/lore and whatnot. Shooting and weapons in general also feel great.

It really is a classic Bethesda game in almost all aspects, just one that looks more modern, has better core gameplay, and has way less jank/better animations. But also one that is way more segmented, but that is what you get if you want to have an RPG like this across dozens/hundreds of planets.

I will likely prefer a game like Baldurs Gate and Zelda Tears will probably be my game of the year. But there are tons and tons of games in fantasy settings. Starfield to me has merit alone based on it being a completely new universe with tons of handcrafted questing/content in a space scifi setting. It is not often we get that. Sure, I would've loved more freeform exploration, but thankfully there is the endlessly delivering No Mans Sky. Starfield has a lot of others things to offer.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 03:10:24 AM by ErHaO »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3109 on: September 05, 2023, 05:01:13 AM »

They know how to pander to their audience.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3110 on: September 05, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »
I'm enjoying my time with Starfield. As with other Bethesda games, I feel I'm so close to being "all in" and being fully immersed in the world, but I can't quite get there yet. Between all the loading screens and endless loot that's just annoying and even some funny bugs like people going outside without a spacesuit, I'm still getting acclimated. With that said, I'm having a good time and feel continuously drawn back in. I'm really trying to just embrace the sandbox and do whatever I would actually do in every given situation. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3111 on: September 05, 2023, 10:40:12 AM »
imagine being so insecure with yourself that a pronoun selection screen triggers you to go on the internet and bitch like a little baby  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3112 on: September 05, 2023, 05:29:00 PM »
I'm enjoying my time with Starfield. As with other Bethesda games, I feel I'm so close to being "all in" and being fully immersed in the world, but I can't quite get there yet. Between all the loading screens and endless loot that's just annoying and even some funny bugs like people going outside without a spacesuit, I'm still getting acclimated. With that said, I'm having a good time and feel continuously drawn back in. I'm really trying to just embrace the sandbox and do whatever I would actually do in every given situation. :lol

It gets better and better for me. I am having
 a great time. It helps that I have done a lot of content that all took place on the same planet, so no constant jumping/loading.

It is an old fashioned game. But just like I love Skyrim to this day, I can have a great time with this.

I do wonder if object permanence is worth all the tradeoffs though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3113 on: September 05, 2023, 05:38:47 PM »
I have access to the game today, I'm opting not to play until next week though.  I just don't want to jump in tonight and tomorrow night and then go away and leave it.  I'm off from work all of next week so that seems like a better time to start sinking my teeth in.

Until then, I'll just be trolling in Call of Duty DMZ :lol https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1698854848651768133  Some of the DMZ content I've been making lately has been getting positive feedback on tiktok/youtube so I'll keep up with it for the next two days before pivoting.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3114 on: September 12, 2023, 09:04:07 AM »
I am quite hooked on Starfield. I think the game (and it's marketing) makes it very easy for people to be disappointed or dislike it, but there is tons of content that I think is legitimately great.

For example, I just had a random sidequest I bumped into in a small town, that had me going to a space station where the gravity was constantly shifting. Made for some super cool shootouts where all kinds of stuff got lifted in zero G and then rammed into the ground again. The level was also designed to make use of this shifting to progress. I also had an "Alien" like quest where you have a beep indicating an Alien monstrosity is near while I was sneaking around setting traps for said alien. I feel like if you focus on going to names towns and finding quests there, you will have the best experience. Random exploration in randomly generated stuff is subpar, it is what it is. But there is easily as much actual content to do as in previous games.

But above all, I think the core gameplay is good. This is not an RPG, it is a loot shooter. Melee and stealth all kinda suck, but the shooting is legit. Tons of great guns and the impact they make on enemies is just satisfying. And the differing gravity between planets gives it variety. After some grounded shootouts, it is simply fun to leap over an entire structure while blasting you enemies from above. And I really enjoy the more grounded space setting. And the faction questlines so far are great, main quest is solid enough.

I can write pages upon pages of dissapointing facts about this title, but in the end I am having tons of fun focusing on the stuff that you can do.