Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 177369 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2905 on: June 14, 2023, 08:54:28 AM »
Gamepass is a fantastic deal, can't recommend it enough. Especially if you enjoy indies with the occasional AAA title.

I hate exclusives and Starfield appears to be a real exclusive. They seem adamant about not releasing it for the PS5...but why?

As others have said, Bethesda is Xbox game studios now. This will apply to future Doom, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein and whatnot too. MS seems to keep releasing MP focused titles on all platforms though (like Sony does with Destiny).

And while I am glad MS does the PC releases at the same time, I think the Xbox would have a lot more sales potential if they went the Sony route with (temporary) hardware exclusives. While it is all silly PR/platform wars, both Nintendo and Sony do well in making their boxes more of a must have.

Nintendo especially.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2906 on: June 14, 2023, 08:57:39 AM »
Yeah, I'm guessing it has somewhat to do with Microsoft owning Windows then?  I don't think any of these companies make money selling the hardware so in the end it's all about the games/software so maybe a sale on steam is just as good as a sale on the xbox platform? I honestly don't know.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2907 on: June 14, 2023, 10:38:23 AM »
Because Microsoft bought Bethesda, they want to steer people to their platforms.

It seems like a dick move when Sony is releasing more and more of their "exclusives" to PC. But what I'm really wondering is will Starfield remain a real exclusive or will they eventually release it on PS5.

Hard to say, but I'm a hardcore Sony guy.  Anything related to Microsoft isn't getting a dime from me.  If they never release it on PS5, so be it.  I'm not buying an Xbox or PC with Windows just to play one game.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2908 on: June 14, 2023, 12:25:55 PM »
As a PC player there has been little that has come out from Xbox's side since the XBone released that has made me decide that I really need their console.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2909 on: June 14, 2023, 01:16:53 PM »
Apparently Cyberpunk 2077 is not only getting an expansion in September but also an across-the-board revamping of almost every gameplay system. If those promises actually come true this time (which is a big "if"), then the game just might become the gem it was originally billed as. I do think it's very good as is, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

The one thing I will say is that at this point, we should expect super buggy releases from CDPR. Even if the expansion is good and the other improvements are significant, I would still predict patches into 2024 regardless. Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, and Witcher 3 Next-Gen all released in a pretty abysmal state.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2910 on: June 14, 2023, 03:02:17 PM »
I mean it would be on-brand for CDPR to do a massive revamp. Witcher 1 and 2 both had enhanced editions.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2911 on: June 15, 2023, 01:05:15 PM »
I have no doubts that Starfield will be a buggy mess (with known bugs likely from previous games too).  But it does look pretty good.

What's their track record with addressing big bugs? I don't remember encountering any big ones when I bought Oblivion & Skyrim on release date.
Seems to me like they let the modding community fix their bugs. Like others, I'll wait until the first or second unofficial patch to fire the game up. Don't get me wrong, I'm l a big Beth fan and I'm looking forward to this in a big, big way. I just know it'll be a far better game once people have had a couple of months to de-bug it.

If you're exclusively a console player I have no idea how this would work. Don't figure you can install the USP on an Xbox or PS.

As for Beth, I've only come across one or two actual game-breaking bugs, and both of them had mods that resolved them quickly and easily. Esbern answering his damn door was one of them, we've probably all had that one, and something about killing the boss in the Dragonborn DLC. Whatever your bug, somebody's found it and made a patch for it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2912 on: June 15, 2023, 01:10:41 PM »
I remember a bug I couldn't get around in Skyrim where I needed to burn all the beehives on some farm. Even once they were all torched, I was still prompted to burn them. I was never able to finish the quest.

I had another one before my OG PS3 bricked that made the final dragon (forget his name) completely invisible. I'd have to wait for the thing to attack to have any idea of where it was. It was a huge PITA.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2913 on: June 15, 2023, 01:12:54 PM »
That wasn't a bug, Alduin was just using a special shout to become invisible. Gotta get good so you can handle these things. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2914 on: June 15, 2023, 07:52:51 PM »
I have no doubts that Starfield will be a buggy mess (with known bugs likely from previous games too).  But it does look pretty good.

What's their track record with addressing big bugs? I don't remember encountering any big ones when I bought Oblivion & Skyrim on release date.
Seems to me like they let the modding community fix their bugs. Like others, I'll wait until the first or second unofficial patch to fire the game up. Don't get me wrong, I'm l a big Beth fan and I'm looking forward to this in a big, big way. I just know it'll be a far better game once people have had a couple of months to de-bug it.

If you're exclusively a console player I have no idea how this would work. Don't figure you can install the USP on an Xbox or PS.

As for Beth, I've only come across one or two actual game-breaking bugs, and both of them had mods that resolved them quickly and easily. Esbern answering his damn door was one of them, we've probably all had that one, and something about killing the boss in the Dragonborn DLC. Whatever your bug, somebody's found it and made a patch for it.
This has become the norm for Bethesda games since Morrowind. The modding community is so big and talented that it will all be fixed one way or another. I mean all those games are still getting new mods made all the time. I still make mods for Morrowind.

On the other hand. Microsoft has stated they have their entire Xbox QA team on Starfield and even if it was released today it would be the least buggy Bethesda game ever on release (of course this isn't saying much). So it's only going to get more polished before September. I just wish they would hire more of the talented modders that make some of the amazing mods out there. I know they've hired some in the past.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2915 on: June 16, 2023, 02:58:22 AM »
So my friend managed to swing me access to the closed beta of "The Finals", which if you don't know is a competitive shooter with lots of environmental destruction made by ex DICE devs. It's a damn good time.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2916 on: June 16, 2023, 04:11:36 AM »
Just looked at the Starfield stuff, it looks really great. I am not going to hype myself up too much, but Starfield is looking better each time I see it. Also, Fallout 4 was released in 2015 and 76 was largely made by Bethesda Austin I believe. And Starfield was trademarked in 2013. I think Bethesda really took their time with this one. I am still expecting a messy release, because it is a massive open world RPG made by Bethesda, but I am not expecting a true mess.

Seems to be a great year in gaming. FFXVI looks really good, Zelda was fantastic, and Armored Core is looking sublime as well. Seems Starfield has a chance to join that list in terms of quality, if it delivers on the promise of the latest showcase.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2917 on: June 16, 2023, 06:25:46 AM »

This.  The Oblivion game had a pretty massive bug on PS3, but there were workarounds, and that bug was addressed officially on xBox 360.   I think there was only one bug on Skyrim that prevented me from doing anything major (that was completing the Companions quests before curing your vampirism; you had to go out and kill an animal, but if you already killed them as part of the game play - and you had no idea what animal it might be - it froze the quest).   

I haven't gotten into any of the substantive mods on the Oblivion/Skyrim games, but the "Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages", which gives you a rundown of EVERY known glitch or bug was invaluable in playing those games.  The community has certainly elevated those games to a new level.   Other than official releases, I do not know how to incorporate any of the mods on console.   On PC, you can literally go in and reprogram the game in some instances to work around any glitch or inconvenience.

Here's a dumb question, and don't judge me:  any "NSFW" mods for Skyrim?  I ended up marrying Lydia (probably should have held out for the vampire girl, but alas, I don't think you could legit marry her anyway) but it would have been cool to have a mod that didn't have her sleeping in full armor and battle gear.  HAHA. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2918 on: June 16, 2023, 06:51:48 AM »
I checked and I've already put 190hrs into Tears of the Kingdom. I'm probably 80% to main completion, outside of the koroks... which are ridiculous and I'll probably do that after I take care of Ganon.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2919 on: June 16, 2023, 07:42:18 AM »
I’m looking for a little help identifying a game from the late 80’s/90’s. It was an upright box arcade game. I never saw it on a console. I feel like Shezerhade or something like that might have been in the title but it clearly is nothing like the NES game. In this game a muscular but roundish bald man can shoot fireballs from his forehead at opponents. It’s a side scrolling jumper/attacker type game similar to many of that era. He might have carried ladders to help him climb higher and move to the right.

Anyone remember this quarter eater ?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2920 on: June 16, 2023, 08:46:09 AM »
I watched quite a bit of the Starfield video last night. Looks good. The problem as I see it is that no matter how many unique worlds you have you still need to be entertained interacting with them. Kind of seems like after a while the gameplay will stagnate, even if you're on a completely different world. The good news is that with so many different environs, DLC should be quicker to crank out, and DLC should address that problem. They won't have to create Solstheim or Nuka World. They'll just need to add new things to do on their existing planets. Modders will also be able to contribute, since we're really just talking about new quests. Should have a ton of replay value. I'm certainly looking forward to it. I bet somebody could add a conquest mode and make the game damn near eternal.

Todd Howard seems like a neat guy. I've certainly known who he was, but never really watched anything about him. I watched a podcast with him last night, and not only does he really know his shit, he's pretty good at explaining it. His rundown of the game-making process was fascinating, particularly since we've all played enough of them to appreciate the concepts he's applying.

This.  The Oblivion game had a pretty massive bug on PS3, but there were workarounds, and that bug was addressed officially on xBox 360.   I think there was only one bug on Skyrim that prevented me from doing anything major (that was completing the Companions quests before curing your vampirism; you had to go out and kill an animal, but if you already killed them as part of the game play - and you had no idea what animal it might be - it froze the quest).   

I haven't gotten into any of the substantive mods on the Oblivion/Skyrim games, but the "Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages", which gives you a rundown of EVERY known glitch or bug was invaluable in playing those games.  The community has certainly elevated those games to a new level.   Other than official releases, I do not know how to incorporate any of the mods on console.   On PC, you can literally go in and reprogram the game in some instances to work around any glitch or inconvenience.
Yeah, like you said, the two wikis will tell you every bug that's been identified and offer up advice for how to deal with it. Usually far easier on PC since you've got the console to access. Honestly, I couldn't fathom trying to play one of these on a console for that reason. And the bug you described is exactly why I cut Beth a fair amount of slack on these games. There are so many different ways that people can interact with the world that you can't really predict the order things will happen.

Here's a dumb question, and don't judge me:  any "NSFW" mods for Skyrim?  I ended up marrying Lydia (probably should have held out for the vampire girl, but alas, I don't think you could legit marry her anyway) but it would have been cool to have a mod that didn't have her sleeping in full armor and battle gear.  HAHA. 
Literally half of the mods out there are simply adding bigger and better tits to the female NPCs, adding armor that won't cover them, and then excuses to get out of it.  :lol

Nexus mods is the main repository. This is sorted by most downloaded, so they're primarily above board. It's kind of neat in that a lot of the better mods have merged with similar ones to make pseudo-overhauls. Frostfall has combined with several other mods to make a very complete cold weather survival/camping system. Climates of Tamrial does just what the name suggests, adding complete weather systems and generally making the game look much, much better. Realistic Needs adds buffs and debuffs based on hunger, thirst, cleanliness, and fatigue, so you have to actually take care of yourself, and buying bread from the innkeepers actually does something now. This is the sort of stuff that makes the modding so important, I think. Climates makes the world pretty damned dark at night, so you really don't want to be wandering about, not to mention exhaustion, and Frostfall ensures that you're not just going to stand and wait 7 hours outside of Winterhold. You've got to plan for how and where you're going to sleep without freezing to death (including the possibility of rain or blizzard). Makes it a better game, I think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2921 on: June 16, 2023, 09:58:36 AM »
I’m looking for a little help identifying a game from the late 80’s/90’s. It was an upright box arcade game. I never saw it on a console. I feel like Shezerhade or something like that might have been in the title but it clearly is nothing like the NES game. In this game a muscular but roundish bald man can shoot fireballs from his forehead at opponents. It’s a side scrolling jumper/attacker type game similar to many of that era. He might have carried ladders to help him climb higher and move to the right.

Anyone remember this quarter eater ?

Karnov?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPCZVf3GubA

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2922 on: June 16, 2023, 10:22:23 AM »
Todd Howard seems like a neat guy. I've certainly known who he was, but never really watched anything about him. I watched a podcast with him last night, and not only does he really know his shit, he's pretty good at explaining it. His rundown of the game-making process was fascinating, particularly since we've all played enough of them to appreciate the concepts he's applying.

I find it pretty hard to watch him after the hype video for Fallout 76 and the state that game launched in.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: June 16, 2023, 01:39:39 PM »

Nexus mods is the main repository. This is sorted by most downloaded, so they're primarily above board. It's kind of neat in that a lot of the better mods have merged with similar ones to make pseudo-overhauls. Frostfall has combined with several other mods to make a very complete cold weather survival/camping system. Climates of Tamrial does just what the name suggests, adding complete weather systems and generally making the game look much, much better. Realistic Needs adds buffs and debuffs based on hunger, thirst, cleanliness, and fatigue, so you have to actually take care of yourself, and buying bread from the innkeepers actually does something now. This is the sort of stuff that makes the modding so important, I think. Climates makes the world pretty damned dark at night, so you really don't want to be wandering about, not to mention exhaustion, and Frostfall ensures that you're not just going to stand and wait 7 hours outside of Winterhold. You've got to plan for how and where you're going to sleep without freezing to death (including the possibility of rain or blizzard). Makes it a better game, I think.

WOW, that changes the entire game.  Huh, pretty impressive.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2924 on: June 16, 2023, 06:12:48 PM »

WOW, that changes the entire game.  Huh, pretty impressive.

Skyrim mods always remind me of these memes:

The survival mode has been somewhat integrated with the official Skyrim release, my memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe after your leave Helgen you get prompted asking if you want to play survival mode which requires food/sleep/shelter.

Stads you seem like a man of great taste, may I suggest the macho man randy savage skyrim mod

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: June 17, 2023, 09:03:29 AM »
^^^ That is RIGHT up my alley!  Step into a Slim Jim!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2926 on: June 18, 2023, 10:19:19 AM »
Was playing Spidey on the PS5, as the PS5 upgrade with all the DLC is now 10 euros. And I never did the DLC. Started a new game for a bit and it looks and plays great (fidelity mode at 40 fps). But what happened to Peters face?! I will have to get used to this face for a bit.

Still the best traversal in an open world game, slinging around never gets old and the subtle dualsense trigger feedback feels great.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2927 on: June 19, 2023, 12:52:41 AM »
Was playing Spidey on the PS5, as the PS5 upgrade with all the DLC is now 10 euros. And I never did the DLC. Started a new game for a bit and it looks and plays great (fidelity mode at 40 fps). But what happened to Peters face?! I will have to get used to this face for a bit.

Still the best traversal in an open world game, slinging around never gets old and the subtle dualsense trigger feedback feels great.
I actually prefer the new face.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2928 on: June 24, 2023, 09:50:39 AM »
Well, this is intriguing, I see that Blizzard has their Summer Sale and had Crash Bandicoot 4 listed in the sale (since it's part of Activision).  $20.00.  Decided why not.  What makes this even more of a buy was that I can pay it with my Battle net balance (that I've been gaining through World of Warcraft gold to convert it to Bnet money) and I haven't paid Blizzard anything for years since I got back to WoW, so this is really a no brainer for me.  Never played a Crash Bandicoot game, but it seems like a good time killer if I'm bored of everything else.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 10:07:15 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2929 on: June 24, 2023, 10:33:59 AM »
FFXVI is great a couple of hours in. I like the darker tone. Deaths, blood, swearing (but not constantly and for the sake of it). I only saw two early trailers and know little about the title, definitely some suprised early on. Music is sublime thus far, might be another classic FF soundtrack. And the voice acting is good/great (I think FFVII remake is bad, bordering on terrible, in this regard).

I actually prefer the new face.

I got used to him after a while. But it was a bit of a shock to my system. New face is more handsome/hollywood, which I do not mind, but the old pete did look a bit more like a broke, worn-out science geek with a superhero sidejob to me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2930 on: June 24, 2023, 12:16:01 PM »
Finally ordered a PS5. Got the digital version and black replacement plates so it should look cool, lol

Gonna get:

1. FFXVI
2. Elden ring
3. Hogwarts
4. Police simulator (it looks oddly interesting. Like the allure of truck simulator or something. we'll see)
5. Diablo 4
6. Miles morales
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 12:26:24 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2931 on: June 24, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »
Finally ordered a PS5. Got the digital version and black replacement plates so it should look cool, lol

Gonna get:

1. FFXVI
2. Elden ring
3. Hogwarts
4. Police simulator (it looks oddly interesting. Like the allure of truck simulator or something. we'll see)
5. Diablo 4
6. Miles morales

Whenever there is a discount, PSplus extra is a great deal (just paid 75 euros for a year last month), especially if you are digital. Returnal, Miles Morales, and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart are included, as well as Ghost of Tsuchima Directors Cut and Death Stranding Directors Cut. All in addition to many other games (Stray, Kena, Devil May Cry 5 PS5, FFVII remake PS5+addon etc.).

It doesn't have the latest games on there like gamepass does, but it does have a fantastic collection for the price.

PSplus Premium is less of a deal, but could be worth it for PSfans (classic PSP/PS1/PS2 games and streaming PS3 games).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2932 on: June 26, 2023, 03:21:30 PM »
So I played more of FFXVI. Some really great moments. And the music is probably on the level of VI-VII, it is that good to my ears.

But in regards of the gameplay...  it doesn't seem to have much to it...?

I don't mind it being an action RPG, but the RPG part seems barely present. The skill tree seems more like one out of a 15 hour action game than a 30 (40?)+ hour RPG. Hell, to fluff it up they even display basic moves like jump in it. There is barely any customization. Thus far the game is basically a stretched out action title with hours of cutscenes. Stranger of Paradise (very underrated game in my opinion) and FFVII remake pt1 are vastly superior at being an action RPG in my opinion. Leveling does not make it an RPG necessarily. God of War Ragnarok has much more depth in terms of upgrades and build possibilities. And that game also switches up the gameplay with puzzles and exploration. FFXVI does not, it is quite linear and is basically combat and cutscenes.

And then the graphics. For a game that can only run 30 fps on the PS5 (okay there is a very flawed framerate mode), I think it mostly looks subpar. I mean, God of War Ragnarok runs at 100+ fps with good image quality, with much larger environments. I am sure this game does some technical things that are advanced/push the PS5, but it does not look the part. And the motion blur is terrible, it looks more like heavy ghosting than anything else. Art direction is great and the environments do look good, so the visuals do appeal, but I am not impressed with the technical aspects. I am very surprised this game is lauded as a polished technical next gen game. 

Don't get me wrong, I am having a good time and some moments are true series highlights. But I think the game is maybe even more of a flawed gem than FFXV was. And it is as linear at XIII is, at least up until the point where I am. I was expecting the game to open up, but it doesn't seem that will happen.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2933 on: June 26, 2023, 03:34:14 PM »
ErHaO, I was really worried about that.

FF15's combat was made fun off quite a bit because you literally just held down the the attack button...

I'm still gonna get 16 because I'm overly loyal to the brand, lol. But I hope I enjoy it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2934 on: June 26, 2023, 04:00:55 PM »
ErHaO, I was really worried about that.

FF15's combat was made fun off quite a bit because you literally just held down the the attack button...

I'm still gonna get 16 because I'm overly loyal to the brand, lol. But I hope I enjoy it.

I am going to be honest, I think FFXVI is the most shallow title in terms of gameplay I have played in years. Feels pretty good and some encounters are amazing, but there really isn't much to the game at all. Just combat and the most basic levelling. Most FF combat is really simple. Let's be real, a large part of FFVII can be done with mashing X to attack and occasional potions/cure. But in most FF titles there is more game around it, reasons to grind and unlock stuff, upgrade your companions etc. Nothing of that here.

I feel like Stranger of Paradise got shafted critically, because it is legit a great RPG with toooons of builds and cool gear. I am baffled the flagship title of the series has none of that. Not even equipable visible armor changes/upgrades, I can't recall the last game I played that did not have that. And that is exactly what makes grinding seem like a true waste. What is there to unlock? Mostly more gil and a sword here and there.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2935 on: June 26, 2023, 07:39:55 PM »
I thought Final Fantasy XVI wasn't coming out until later in the year. Tis not good to hear that it's not a very good game. I'm not a huge fan of the series or anything. I've only beaten the previous game but I was planning on checking out some of the older games eventually now that I'm sort of a JRPG fan after all these years. I beat Tokyo Xanadu not too long ago and I'm currently playing Persona 5 Royal which has been pretty enjoyable for the 85 hours I've played.

I think I'm going to play Chrono Trigger next.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2936 on: June 27, 2023, 07:42:32 AM »
I read that FF16 has some really dull side quests that can stretch the game out by double-digit hours without actually adding much. IGN even wrote an article clarifying which side quests you should actually play instead of skip - I think I'm going to stick to that list. I expect to start FF16 later this week when I beat Last of Us 2 (which by the way is even better the second time around on a higher difficulty).
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2937 on: June 27, 2023, 09:13:44 AM »
I thought Final Fantasy XVI wasn't coming out until later in the year. Tis not good to hear that it's not a very good game. I'm not a huge fan of the series or anything. I've only beaten the previous game but I was planning on checking out some of the older games eventually now that I'm sort of a JRPG fan after all these years. I beat Tokyo Xanadu not too long ago and I'm currently playing Persona 5 Royal which has been pretty enjoyable for the 85 hours I've played.

I think I'm going to play Chrono Trigger next.

Well, I am not going to say it is a bad game. I might even end up thinking it is good (I am about 20% in). I am enjoying most of it and it has some truly great moments. But I am just confused/disappointed in regards to some of the decisions they made in terms of design. Game should probably be harder too, because while there are some advanced combo mechanics there, the game does not entice the player to really learn and master it.

This was a game 6 years in the making by an experienced and focused team with the help of other developers, to bring a long standing series on track/into a new direction. Examples of games like that are God of War (2018), Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil VII etc. Reviews are calling it polished but I disagree, both on a technical and design level.

I read that FF16 has some really dull side quests that can stretch the game out by double-digit hours without actually adding much. IGN even wrote an article clarifying which side quests you should actually play instead of skip - I think I'm going to stick to that list. I expect to start FF16 later this week when I beat Last of Us 2 (which by the way is even better the second time around on a higher difficulty).

Sidequests are bad. Look at the Witcher 3, there are several tiers of sidequests. Any quest in FFXVI 10 hours in is about on the tier of clearing a nest of Neckers with perhaps a bit of added dialouge. Not even remotely close to a Witcher contract, let alone a Witcher 3 companion sidequest. I might google that list and stick to it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2938 on: June 27, 2023, 01:03:49 PM »

Gonna get:

1. FFXVI
2. Elden ring
3. Hogwarts
5. Diablo 4
6. Miles morales

It is interesting. For about an hour. It's like playing GTA but as the bad guys. It's got two problems, though. One is that driving games like that don't work so well when you're trying to avoid accidents and obey the law. Ever tried being law abiding in GTA? It sucks, and none of the other cars are similarly inclined. After 15 or so shifts I only returned one car that wasn't banged all to hell.

The bigger problem is that it can't match its own ambition. It relies heavily on realistic traffic patterns, and that just doesn't really exist in the video game world. I quit playing in disgust after clearing up an accident, and despite my best efforts, neither backup, the wrecker, nor an ambulance could get to the scene because cars just piled up behind me (and it was a one-way street, so they could have just come in from behind!). Whatever studio was behind it simply couldn't manage something as complex as traffic and it made the game clunky and problematic.

Good idea, though, and they do manage pretty well to capture the mundanity of it all. I'd have liked to progress far enough to get out of simply writing up parking tickets and clearing accidents, but just couldn't.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: June 27, 2023, 01:34:33 PM »
Ever tried being law abiding in GTA? It sucks

Yup, doing those missions that require you to not get any vehicle damage were always my least favorite to play