Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172148 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2590 on: March 01, 2023, 08:36:21 AM »
Thank Crom a mod came out to allow save state in that buggy mess of a Kingdom Come game.
Thankfully, I didn't start up KCD until it had been out for a while, so it'd been very well patched by that point. By the time I hit a game-breaking bug it was just a matter of updating the game and it'd been resolved. Most of the negative reviews were for its bugginess, and Warhorse dealt with them quickly enough. While it wasn't perfect, and it was intended to be hard as fuck, I enjoyed it a lot.

My only issue with it is that a video game where you're expected to run away when the odds are against you is kind of a foreign thing. When I'm a level 18 badass, I'm supposed to be able to walk into a room with 24 bad guys and slaughter them all with a bit of panache. The idea that I'm supposed to run away from 4 peasants with pitchforks is strange, to say the least.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2591 on: March 01, 2023, 08:39:06 AM »
Thank Crom a mod came out to allow save state in that buggy mess of a Kingdom Come game.
Thankfully, I didn't start up KCD until it had been out for a while, so it'd been very well patched by that point. By the time I hit a game-breaking bug it was just a matter of updating the game and it'd been resolved. Most of the negative reviews were for its bugginess, and Warhorse dealt with them quickly enough. While it wasn't perfect, and it was intended to be hard as fuck, I enjoyed it a lot.

My only issue with it is that a video game where you're expected to run away when the odds are against you is kind of a foreign thing. When I'm a level 18 badass, I'm supposed to be able to walk into a room with 24 bad guys and slaughter them all with a bit of panache. The idea that I'm supposed to run away from 4 peasants with pitchforks is strange, to say the least.  :lol

It's definitely a unique and good game. I stopped playing due to the bugs but I really should try to get back into it.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2592 on: March 01, 2023, 08:43:30 AM »
Bethesda has the advantage of an avid modding community and the knowledge that they'll produce unofficial patches to resolve most of these bugs. I've typically assumed that Beth had their own people actually working on the unofficial patches but won't cop to it. That said, to be fair these sorts of bugs are going to happen in a game as complex as Skyrim. A game with so many different interactions simply cannot account for each and every one of them. I'm honestly amazed that they do as well as they do.

Aren't the unofficial mods only for PC, though?  It'd be nice if they did a sort of annual or bi-annual (every two years) compilation of the best or most critical mods. I know they come out with anniversary and special editions, but they don't seem to fix the bugs when they do.  Especially if what you say is true - that Beth has their own people working on the unofficial mods - it should be easy.  I DO understand not wanting to take credit/blame for the unofficial things, but we're not talking about rocket science here; reading at USEP (a great site for Skyrim information) some of the bugs are as simple as fixing one or two lines of code.

There is a lot of mod support on Xbox. Sony has more limitations set to the app, but you can in fact use mods on PS4/5 as well.

Bethesda is perhaps the only dev that allowed a mod app on consoles for their games.

Edit: I just looked and there is an unofficial patch that fixes bugs by fans available on ps4.

Maybe this can fix your game?

I have to look into that patch....  :)

Do keep in mind that this might be a mess as well, it is unofficial. Either way if you do check it out ensure you keep seperate saves from before the patch and check out if the patch is worth it.

I personally have no experience using the mods app of Bethesda on PS4.
I can only speak for the PC version, but I've not once seen a bug caused by any of the unofficial patches. I've seen a couple of bugs that they couldn't resolve, but there were also mods to fix those. One was Esbern not answering that damned door, and the other had to do with the main boss in the Dragonborn DLC, and fuck that guy anyway.

That having been said, I'm probably also acclimated to Bethesda games enough that I'm not incredibly discerning about the bugs. If one of their games doesn't randomly CTD while I'm walking down the street minding my own business it just doesn't feel right. It also occurs to me that by encouraging modding as Beth does, they deflect a lot of the blame. As soon as you install anything that requires SKSE you pretty much forfeit the right to blame Beth for things that go awry. I can live with that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2593 on: March 01, 2023, 08:56:15 AM »

It's definitely a unique and good game. I stopped playing due to the bugs but I really should try to get back into it.
If that's the reason you stopped playing it then you should definitely revisit it. Like I said, it was mostly much bug-free the last time I went through it. The only exception, and they didn't consider it a bug, is enemy dogs being able to stun-lock you, while your own dog is mostly worthless. That's avoidable by simply not activating the DLC that implemented dogs (or using a mod to nerf them).

And I only found about 3 mods that were actually necessary to enjoy the game. Obviously save at will. Restoring the reticle when equipping a bow is damned helpful--they had bow sites back then. And there's a mod that attaches slot-titles to your various bits of armor so they'll sort properly. Trying to figure out if a jupon was the same as a gameson, and whether they went over or under a hauberk was one of the most frustrating parts of the game. At the same time, it was visually stunning and the combat system (up to a point) was excellent.
E.F. Benson

Offline krands85

« Reply #2594 on: March 01, 2023, 11:50:31 AM »
Doesn't anyone here play Destiny 2?  Lightfall expansion launches today.  :hat
I played it quite a bit a few years ago on PS4 when it was on PS+ and then again on Series S when it was on Gamepass. From a pure gameplay perspective, I find it one of the most satisfying games to play - I just love the shooting and movement, as well as messing around with different gear.

I didn't get the most out of it though as I was just playing on my own, or sometimes doing strikes with randoms.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: March 01, 2023, 11:53:46 AM »
So I need a new game for my switch. Have a 17 hour flight on Friday and I'm sure plenty of other downtime in the next week or so on business travel.  I still have Zelda, which I'm kind of meh on but I will certainly play it, but I'm thinking of something like Mario Odyssey.  Any recommedations?  I'm going to check the online store to see what's up tonight or tomorrow before I leave so I've got it all downloaded and ready.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2596 on: March 01, 2023, 12:09:06 PM »
Doesn't anyone here play Destiny 2?  Lightfall expansion launches today.  :hat
I played it quite a bit a few years ago on PS4 when it was on PS+ and then again on Series S when it was on Gamepass. From a pure gameplay perspective, I find it one of the most satisfying games to play - I just love the shooting and movement, as well as messing around with different gear.

I didn't get the most out of it though as I was just playing on my own, or sometimes doing strikes with randoms.

Yeah, it is one of the best FPS's out there.  I'm in my 7th year since the original PS4 release and have logged countless hours.  Every new expansion is better than the one before it.  I gotta give kudos to the Bungie devs.  They really are customer oriented and stay on top of things.  I'd say it's easily in my top ten all time franchises.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2597 on: March 01, 2023, 12:24:41 PM »
So I need a new game for my switch. Have a 17 hour flight on Friday and I'm sure plenty of other downtime in the next week or so on business travel.  I still have Zelda, which I'm kind of meh on but I will certainly play it, but I'm thinking of something like Mario Odyssey.  Any recommedations?  I'm going to check the online store to see what's up tonight or tomorrow before I leave so I've got it all downloaded and ready.

I don't have a big collection of switch games but I did enjoy Mario Odyssy a lot. Check out Octopath traveler if you like jrpgs. Also maybe sign up to nintendo plus and download a bunch of n64 games

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2598 on: March 01, 2023, 04:36:04 PM »

Mario 3d World + Bowsers Fury (it is one purchase)

Mario Odyssey is a good game as well, personally I preferred the more focused nature of 3d World (kind of like old school 2d Mario but in with more 3d gameplay). And Bowsers Fury is a fun smaller open world Mario experience. Mario Odyssey is more about exploration and searching for moons/unlocking levels. Depends on your preference and mood which is better.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2599 on: March 01, 2023, 04:38:25 PM »

Metroid prime remastered if you didn't already get it. Its been certainly killing a lot of my time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: March 01, 2023, 07:13:55 PM »
Metroid Prime, definitely. I've played this game at least three times over the years, and am somehow unsure where to go next on my current playthrough!

I will add also I highly enjoyed Mario 3D World/Bowsers Fury. Both games gave me hours of solid Mario entertainment.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2601 on: March 01, 2023, 09:44:02 PM »
I'd go with the original GTA trilogy. Hell, I could just park the car and listen to Vice City Public Radio for half the flight? Gordon Moorecock Rides Again!
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2602 on: March 02, 2023, 03:33:52 AM »
I'd go with the original GTA trilogy. Hell, I could just park the car and listen to Vice City Public Radio for half the flight? Gordon Moorecock Rides Again!

This is a great suggestion.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2603 on: March 02, 2023, 04:17:25 AM »
It might be controversial but I think the classic GTA games  have aged terribly, the driving is ok but the shooting truly sucks and the open worlds are not even remotely close to modern standards anymore. Open world games have progressed massively since those games came out.

The radio stations and storylines are still entertaining though.

And the recent ports were really bad, I deleted San Andreas after an hour and that game was my childhood.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2604 on: March 02, 2023, 07:30:19 AM »
It might be controversial but I think the classic GTA games  have aged terribly, the driving is ok but the shooting truly sucks and the open worlds are not even remotely close to modern standards anymore. Open world games have progressed massively since those games came out.

And the recent ports were really bad, I deleted San Andreas after an hour and that game was my childhood.

I haven't played any of those games since they came out. I loved them back then especially San Andreas but I've no interest in checking them out now for the reasons you gave.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2605 on: March 02, 2023, 07:36:07 AM »
Tragically, in some ways the mission design of GTA III/VC/Andreas is better than the modern ones.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2606 on: March 02, 2023, 07:38:33 AM »

Yeah, GTA is a no go for me.  I have no interest playing those older games again.  I bought them for my PC and can't be bothered with them.

I don't have a big collection of switch games but I did enjoy Mario Odyssy a lot. Check out Octopath traveler if you like jrpgs. Also maybe sign up to nintendo plus and download a bunch of n64 games

There's apparantly an octopath traveler 2, I looked at it last night but not sure that's a game I'd be interested in although my gf was on your side on me getting that one.

Metroid prime remastered if you didn't already get it. Its been certainly killing a lot of my time.

Never played the original and honestly, I didn't feel like I wanted to play this when checking it out last night.  But I think that goes back to me not wanting to play old games. 

Mario Odyssey is a good game as well, personally I preferred the more focused nature of 3d World (kind of like old school 2d Mario but in with more 3d gameplay). And Bowsers Fury is a fun smaller open world Mario experience. Mario Odyssey is more about exploration and searching for moons/unlocking levels. Depends on your preference and mood which is better.

Sooo I ended up getting Mario 3d World + Bowsers Fury.  It just looked more fun when checking it out than Odyssey although Odyssey was the game a few friends were telling me to get.  Also, seeing both games at full price, getting the newer one kind of made more sense in my head as well. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will have this and Zelda to play on my trip and that should keep me entertained.  I could always download another game if not.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2607 on: March 02, 2023, 08:16:23 AM »

They have aged terribly. I think that's in large part due to newer platforms and ways of doing things, though. I tried playing VC on my PC and could never figure out how to drive the damn car because driving controls are so uniform and ingrained at this point. Games made for the older controllers are pretty much impossible to go back to now.

At the same time, the early R* games have a style and vibe to them like no other. There's enough sheer lunacy and comedy in them, not to mention all of the voice acting, that in another way makes them irreplaceable. I stopped playing them when they began to take themselves way too seriously, and helping El Burro deliver porn magazines got replaced with driving your idiot cousin to the bowling alley on Tuesday nights. I really wish I could go back and play the first three, but that doesn't seem to be an option at the moment.

I brought it up because the Switch remasters apparently do work quite well, unlike the PC versions.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2608 on: March 02, 2023, 08:18:59 AM »
Tragically,  in some ways the mission design of nearly every single thing about GTA III/VC/Andreas is better than the modern ones.
The early games were about having fun and enjoying yourself. The newer versions are about killing time.
E.F. Benson

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2609 on: March 02, 2023, 08:27:31 AM »

They have aged terribly. I think that's in large part due to newer platforms and ways of doing things, though. I tried playing VC on my PC and could never figure out how to drive the damn car because driving controls are so uniform and ingrained at this point. Games made for the older controllers are pretty much impossible to go back to now.

Which is a bit weird because the button layout hasn't changed on most non-Nintendo gamepads.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2610 on: March 02, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »

At the same time, the early R* games have a style and vibe to them like no other. There's enough sheer lunacy and comedy in them, not to mention all of the voice acting, that in another way makes them irreplaceable. I stopped playing them when they began to take themselves way too seriously, and helping El Burro deliver porn magazines got replaced with driving your idiot cousin to the bowling alley on Tuesday nights. I really wish I could go back and play the first three, but that doesn't seem to be an option at the moment.

I brought it up because the Switch remasters apparently do work quite well, unlike the PC versions.

I tried to play Dark Forces again, and I stopped 100% because of the controllers.  It just made no sense given the way modern controllers are laid out - and bear in mind, I'm almost NEVER playing games released in the last two, three years so it's not like I'm talking cutting edge developments.  Also played the Castlevania anthology pack (all what, 11 games or whatever) and I had to reprogram the controllers for every single game.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2611 on: March 02, 2023, 08:58:43 AM »

I tried to play Dark Forces again, and I stopped 100% because of the controllers.  It just made no sense given the way modern controllers are laid out - and bear in mind, I'm almost NEVER playing games released in the last two, three years so it's not like I'm talking cutting edge developments.  Also played the Castlevania anthology pack (all what, 11 games or whatever) and I had to reprogram the controllers for every single game.
I grew up on mouse+KB, so games like Dark Forces are never a problem for me. If I switch back to a 1ps there's an adjustment period, though. Mostly because I'm not used to sitting up at my desk when playing a game. Modern controllers have made us all lazy slouches.  :lol

I recall that the final level of Dark Forces was as good as it got. I preferred DFII, though, even if it was a totally different game. Once you can use the force you don't need blasters and it stops being a 1ps.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2612 on: March 02, 2023, 09:09:14 AM »
Just want to say that I loved the ever living crap out of Dark forces II  :hefdaddy

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2613 on: March 02, 2023, 09:15:12 AM »
The only problem I had with it is that once you got good enough to really force power your way through the game, which was just loads of fun, the game was pretty much over.
E.F. Benson

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2614 on: March 02, 2023, 12:36:44 PM »
I've played through Dark Forces 2 a couple times. Good game. I never played the first one. I bought it a couple months ago but haven't really checked it out.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2615 on: March 02, 2023, 09:58:12 PM »
I remember playing Dark Forces way back when (good lord was that on DOS?) and liking it. I don't have any memory of playing Dark Forces II, so either I didn't or it just didn't make any impact on me. I loved Jedi Outcast, but had a hard time getting in to Jedi Academy, and don't think I ever finished it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2616 on: March 03, 2023, 04:40:07 PM »
Just saw Distant Worlds, really amazing concert, really in a Final Fantasy mood  :D

For my birthday I got three really amazing gaming gifts:
-Final Fantasy 35th anniversary vinyl
-Red Dead Redemption 2 vinyl (the one with the songs like Unshaken, Cruel World etc.)(clear red)
-Elden Ring 2 lp (stone marble)

And a Metroid Prime Remastered physical copy. No idea when I will get to it though.

Yeah, GTA is a no go for me.  I have no interest playing those older games again.  I bought them for my PC and can't be bothered with them.

There's apparantly an octopath traveler 2, I looked at it last night but not sure that's a game I'd be interested in although my gf was on your side on me getting that one.

Never played the original and honestly, I didn't feel like I wanted to play this when checking it out last night.  But I think that goes back to me not wanting to play old games. 

Sooo I ended up getting Mario 3d World + Bowsers Fury.  It just looked more fun when checking it out than Odyssey although Odyssey was the game a few friends were telling me to get.  Also, seeing both games at full price, getting the newer one kind of made more sense in my head as well. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will have this and Zelda to play on my trip and that should keep me entertained.  I could always download another game if not.

Nice, have fun! 3d world is also fun in good old couch multiplayer.

And by Zelda I assume you mean Breath of the Wild? Also really good, but it is more freeform do whatever you feel like in general. I think BotW is not really all that suited for short burts of gameplay, more an immersion type of experience.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 04:56:02 PM by ErHaO »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: March 03, 2023, 07:37:45 PM »
Happy Birthday!

I should pick up that RDR vinyl, I adored that soundtrack.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2618 on: March 03, 2023, 11:58:32 PM »
Adding Kelvin in Sons of the forest was such a brilliant move by the devs, he became an instant meme and suddenly sales went through the roof.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2619 on: March 04, 2023, 12:56:28 AM »
I mentioned this in the PC thread a few days ago, but I got into Unreal Engine game development back in December, which has been a ton of fun so far.

I've made a couple videos, which are up on my Youtube channel, for anyone interested in checking them out. They are fairly basic at the moment, just showing some of the environment, day/night cycle, and graphics stuff I've been working on. No gameplay stuff yet, still working on that.

Here's one of the videos on my channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scyIocWVRWg
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: March 04, 2023, 08:27:52 AM »
That's awesome Puppies! How long did that take you? I've messed around in Unity years ago and wanted to give Unreal a try but never bit the bullet.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2621 on: March 04, 2023, 05:17:51 PM »
That's awesome Puppies! How long did that take you? I've messed around in Unity years ago and wanted to give Unreal a try but never bit the bullet.
That probably took a few hours to get up and running and looking like that. Still very barebones at the moment.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2622 on: March 06, 2023, 02:29:24 PM »

I haven't played any of those games since they came out. I loved them back then especially San Andreas but I've no interest in checking them out now for the reasons you gave.

I never did get into the GTA series.  I do have GTA V but only because it was a free download with my PS+ subscription.  Played it for a while and just got bored.  Never really understood the hype.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2623 on: March 06, 2023, 03:11:21 PM »

I never did get into the GTA series.  I do have GTA V but only because it was a free download with my PS+ subscription.  Played it for a while and just got bored.  Never really understood the hype.
It really helped if you got into it early with GTA3 (and also smoked a ton of grass). It was one of the first open world games, and it was mostly about having fun and not taking it too seriously. The fact that you could run missions or just goof off and drive around like a psychopath was quite refreshing. I remember the first time we played it and we were in sheer hysterics for two hours. It also helped that it was mostly written as a comedy. You've got a who's who of mafia and criminal actors playing mafia characters, and yet the jobs they're sending you out on are as funny as they are violent. You'll literally be driving down the street and hear a pay phone ringing. You answer it and it's just some guy looking for somebody to murder his wife and turn her into dog food.

Vice City and San Andreas were the same formula but with tons of money to spend on them for the voice acting. Vice City was modeled after Scarface with a bit of Carlito's Way thrown in, and SA was pretty much Menace II Society. Yet in both cases your roles were still filled with humor. In VC you'll spend as much time helping Dennis Hopper's character with his porn empire as you will doing the main stories for the recently departed Tom Sizemore.

By the time V came out they'd sucked all the fun right out of it. There was a noticeable shift with IV where they'd taken all of humour out of it, and they were clearly just looking for ways to make the game as long as possible. It was no longer the quality of the content, but how much they could stuff into it. Getting through V felt like a chore to me. If that's how you formed an opinion on the franchise it's a real shame, but there's nothing you can do about it. As we've already discussed the older games, while wonderful, don't translate to modern platforms very well. I really wish I could go back and play them again, myself.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: March 06, 2023, 05:38:24 PM »
It could be that I haven't played the order GTA games in awhile, but i feel it's more like the comedy got played out more so than becoming worse. I feel like when I played GTAV that I've seen and heard it all before. Vice City definitely had the best vibe though. There certainly was a charm in playing GTA3 when it was released though. It was ground breaking.