Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 170063 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #735 on: August 18, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
I read somewhere that it he plans to retire after this tour
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #736 on: August 19, 2013, 12:29:18 AM »
The Wall kind of suffers from something a lot of double album concept albums do-it kind of loses a little steam in the middle of side three, and gets it back sometime during side four. I'm not really sure why, but a whole lot of double concept albums just lose gas in their last half or so. It doesn't lose so much steam that it comes apart, simply because there's some great songs in that area, especially Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell, but it meanders a bit in the middle of side three in particular.

That being said, though, that section of music is flat out AMAZING in the movie, though. Perhaps that's the problem; it's cinematic music and works better with visuals.

I think you are right.  I sometimes wonder if I would love The Wall as much as I do if I had heard the album first, instead of seeing the movie as my introduction to the record, but I can't change the past now.  Whenever I listen to The Wall, it is impossible for me not to think of the movie.

Waters is still touring this thing? Is it just me or does it feel like The Wall tour is never going to end?

I am $ure he ha$ hi$ rea$on$.  :biggrin:

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #737 on: August 19, 2013, 01:45:36 AM »
I read somewhere that it he plans to retire after this tour
If he ever ends the tour, that is...  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mladen

« Reply #738 on: August 19, 2013, 05:18:06 AM »
I'm about to see The Wall in two weeks and I'm extremely excited. As far as I'm concerned, he should tour with The Wall until all of the world has seen it.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #739 on: August 19, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
I'm going to see The Wall next month at Wwembley, and while I'm looking forward to it, I can't help but wish he'd write some new stuff. It's been over 20 years since Amused to Death.  :sadpanda:
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: August 19, 2013, 07:10:56 AM »
Waters is still touring this thing? Is it just me or does it feel like The Wall tour is never going to end?

It does feel like it's been toured forever, I actually wouldn't mind seeing it again. There are no US dates tho.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #741 on: August 20, 2013, 05:29:55 AM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #742 on: August 20, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
Tom Stoppard, eh?  Sounds cool.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #743 on: August 22, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
Was in the mood to listen to Animals today.

So damn good...

Offline Onno

« Reply #744 on: August 27, 2013, 02:58:58 AM »
Has anyone else listened to the Darkside play yesterday evening on BBC Radio 2? For those who didn't, you can listen to the whole thing now on the BBC Radio 2 website. I listened to it until The Great Gig in the Sky but went to bed after since I had to get up pretty early today. I thought it was really intriguing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #745 on: September 02, 2013, 12:10:21 PM »
Saw The Wall yesterday, and I've been pretty much stunned the entire day. That wasn't just a rock concert, it was a true theater piece, it was a lecture. I'm emotionally exhausted, but at least I can say that I feel honored - we owe Roger big time. I still stand behind my statement that the show needs to be seen in as many places and audiences possible, because the world would be a better place.

Offline Onno

« Reply #746 on: September 02, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »
You are absolutely right. Going to see the show for the second time (first was in 2011) on Sunday.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: September 03, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
You are absolutely right. Going to see the show for the second time (first was in 2011) on Sunday.

It's even better the second time!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #748 on: September 03, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »
If I had the opportunity to see it again, I would take some seats at the very middle but far back. I was standing relatively close this time around, which was fantastic, but I'm aware there were so many details I wasn't able to see.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: September 03, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
If I had the opportunity to see it again, I would take some seats at the very middle but far back. I was standing relatively close this time around, which was fantastic, but I'm aware there were so many details I wasn't able to see.

That's where I was my first time... Almost dead center in the nosebleeds. I

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: September 03, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
Yup. I was really close too. But If he ever comes back here,I'm gonna be at the back in the middle. Cause there were so many effects using the both sides of the wall at the same time.

Also,If you wanna be closer to Roger during Nobody's Home,make sure you're on the left.  :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #751 on: September 04, 2013, 02:59:09 AM »
My God, people went absolutely bananas after he appeared like three feet away from them during Nobody home. And that was such a beautiful, touching performance. I still can't get over how amazing it was, I also failed an exam yesterday, that's what happens when you have an exam two days after you see The Wall.  :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #752 on: November 28, 2013, 02:05:37 AM »
So a friend of mine has been going nuts getting into Pink Floyd lately, and he bought that Immersion box set thing for Wish You Were Here. Today he brought it over and we listened to the 5.1 DVD.

At first I was like
Then the vocals started (Shine On You Crazy Diamond), and I was all :omg:
Then Welcome To The Machine comes on, and it's :2metal:
The title track was pretty good too.

Welcome To The Machine sounds like it was made for surround sound, I'm not sure I'll even be able to listen to the stereo version again.

I've never really cared much about 5.1 mixes before, but I think this has changed my mind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #753 on: November 28, 2013, 08:16:15 AM »
Pink Floyd and surround sound are a natural combination.  Their music has always had a very lush, immersive quality to it that is only enhanced by having it all around you.  Pink Floyd was one of the first bands to tour with a full quadrophonic P.A.  Four stacks, one in each corner of the venue, at their concerts.  I haven't heard any Floyd in 5.1, but I've heard plenty in Quad, and it's pretty incredible.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #754 on: November 28, 2013, 08:43:48 AM »
I am $ure he ha$ hi$ rea$on$.  :biggrin:

I see what you did there.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: November 28, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »
Stevie Wonder saw what he did there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #756 on: November 28, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »
Stevie Wonder saw what he did there.

But he's blind.  It's not nice to mock the impaired. 

;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #757 on: November 28, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
Pink Floyd and surround sound are a natural combination.  Their music has always had a very lush, immersive quality to it that is only enhanced by having it all around you.  Pink Floyd was one of the first bands to tour with a full quadrophonic P.A.  Four stacks, one in each corner of the venue, at their concerts.  I haven't heard any Floyd in 5.1, but I've heard plenty in Quad, and it's pretty incredible.

I will never understand why they haven't done a 5.1 of their whole catalog (ala the Genesis boxed sets).   I know that there are a few albums that they tend to distance themselves from...but that doesn't mean the demand (and the money) isn't there.

Doing "the biggies" is a good start...but I would even re-buy Ummagumma (my least favorite PF album) if they re-did the whole thing in a 5.1 and did it well. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: November 28, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
Hire Steven Wilson for the job

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #759 on: November 28, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »
That's a good thought, but he's busy doing the Yes catalogue right now.  Close to the Edge just came out, and he's already announced that he's working on another one to be released in 2014.  He intends to do all of the "classic" (presumably 70's) albums.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #760 on: December 04, 2013, 01:49:45 AM »
Animals is fucking awesome. Nice to see many others think so too.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #761 on: December 05, 2013, 06:31:35 AM »
I was just listening to A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and it's much better than I remembered it was. Tony Levin's bass work is awesome!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: December 05, 2013, 07:15:09 AM »
I didn't know that was Tony Levin, I always thought it was Guy Pratt. Guess he joined later on.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:13 AM »
I wish AMLoR sounded better, as I like most of the songs. It just sounds so lifeless.

I think Guy Pratt just played with them live.

Meanwhile, he is one hilarious guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCR6R4Hpb-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PquY0ZivYFE

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: December 05, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »
I wish AMLoR sounded better, as I like most of the songs. It just sounds so lifeless.

I think Guy Pratt just played with them live.

Meanwhile, he is one hilarious guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCR6R4Hpb-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PquY0ZivYFE

yea

Guy came in because Tony couldn't commit to touring.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #765 on: December 05, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »

That is definitely true of the studio version of Sorrow.  I admittedly knew the live version first, but hearing the studio version of it was such a disappointment.  The intro is just too heavy in the studio version, while the live version is less heavy and features that feedback and the sound of him sliding his fingers down the fretboard, which makes it sound totally awesome.  Plus, the live version revisits the intro at the end, which the studio version does not.  I rarely prefer live versions to studio ones, but in the case of Sorrow, the live version is light years better.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: December 05, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
I agree, but feel the same about Dogs of War, Yet Another Movie, and On the Turning Away as well. Of course I heard them live first too, so that colors my opinion. (I feel similarly about the second disc of DSoT)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #767 on: December 07, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »
Animals is fucking awesome. Nice to see many others think so too.
It's the best one. Had it on earlier this week, awesome album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #768 on: December 07, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »
...people think AMLOR sounds bad?

:omg:

Get off my lawn, you damn whippersnappers!  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #769 on: December 07, 2013, 10:24:11 PM »
I don't think it sounds bad in the same way Cool Chris seems to; I just think some of the songs were vastly outdone by the live versions (on both the AMLOR and TDB tours).