Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 169958 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #595 on: August 01, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
Interesting factoid...

About 15 years ago, when I (and many others) were still new to the internet...I logged on to one of the first BIG PF fan sites at the time.  (the name slips my mind...but it was the biggie where that guy was slipping in clues about that thingy mystery that was never solved...there were pictures of messages in lights at concerts...etc....but I digress).

At that time...there was a poll for favorite and least favorite album.   There were several hundred votes in each category. 

The Final Cut *WON BOTH*. 

I just thought that was fairly telling of how polarizing that album is. 

My ranking:

1. The Wall
2. Animals
3. Obscured By Clouds
4. Meddle
5. Dark Side of the Moon
6. Wish You Were Here
7. Atom Heart Mother
8. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
9. A Saucerful of Secrets
10. Piper at the Gates of Dawn
11. The Final Cut
12. The Division Bell
13. More
14. Ummagumma

Subject to change...of course...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline AMindBesideItself

« Reply #596 on: August 01, 2012, 03:50:05 AM »
Meddle is underrated as FUCK.
Yes, very awesome album. Pillow of Winds and Fearless are nice overlooked songs.

And speaking of lost gems, one early Floyd song I've been loving recently is Summer of '68, such a cool song.

Pillow of Winds and Fearless are in fact my favorite PF songs. I'll check out Summer of '68.  :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #597 on: August 01, 2012, 06:12:04 AM »
A Pillow of winds and Fearless are two of those songs that I've listened to dozens and dozens of times, and I literally mean dozens, yet I still have no recollection of them. Not a very special album at all in my book. One of these days is pretty cool, though, and Echoes is obviously a classic, and even that song has that noisy section that bothers me sometimes.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #598 on: August 01, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
Meddle is underrated as FUCK.
Yes, very awesome album. Pillow of Winds and Fearless are nice overlooked songs.

And speaking of lost gems, one early Floyd song I've been loving recently is Summer of '68, such a cool song.

Pillow of Winds and Fearless are in fact my favorite PF songs. I'll check out Summer of '68.  :tup
They're great, I also really like San Tropez. Hope you enjoy Summer of '68 :D
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jammindude

« Reply #599 on: August 01, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »
A Pillow of winds and Fearless are two of those songs that I've listened to dozens and dozens of times, and I literally mean dozens, yet I still have no recollection of them. Not a very special album at all in my book. One of these days is pretty cool, though, and Echoes is obviously a classic, and even that song has that noisy section that bothers me sometimes.

This just blows my mind because I had heard Echoes and OOTD before I picked up Meddle....but it was APOW and Fearless that *solidified* Meddle as a classic in my book.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2012, 08:59:14 PM »
I like Meddle, but have never quite seen it as the great classic that many Floyd fans do.  Echoes is great, but is one of those songs I enjoy like once or twice a year, and I've never been overly keen on that studio version of One of These Days (it's too noisy).  Fearless and A Pillow of Winds are both nice, but neither are essential, and I don't care much for the other two songs. 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »
I used to think The Wall was my favorite album, but now, shit...it's not as good as The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, Meddle, AND Atom Heart Mother  :tup

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
I am really in love with Obscured By Clouds. The Gold Is In The... is phenomonal
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »
I've been meaning to get some 80s PF, like The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

As for favorite, I also used to think that The Wall mas my favorite, but then I heard Animals  :heart
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #604 on: August 02, 2012, 01:54:24 AM »
I am really in love with Obscured By Clouds. The Gold Is In The... is phenomonal
Its a great album. I especially  :heart Mudmen, Burning Bridges & Absolutely Curtains. I can sit and listen to Mudmen for hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbtinVhWsE

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: August 02, 2012, 01:58:20 AM »
Yeah, I recently got a new appreciation for Obscured By Clouds, there are many great songs there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #606 on: August 02, 2012, 03:59:55 AM »
I used to think The Wall was my favorite album, but now, shit...it's not as good as The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, Meddle, AND Atom Heart Mother  :tup
Always good to see appreciation for Atom heart mother. I would take it over Meddle any time. And yeah, I also really like Obscured by clouds, there are some truly gorgeous bits on it, especially the ballads.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #607 on: August 02, 2012, 04:01:05 AM »
I love the way Obscured starts, and pretty much the whole thing is great, but I especially like Wot's... Uh, The Deal?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: August 02, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
I love the way Obscured starts, and pretty much the whole thing is great, but I especially like Wot's... Uh, The Deal?

Wot's... Uh, The Deal? is a great song. So great that David brought it out for his On An Island tours.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #609 on: August 04, 2012, 09:21:59 PM »
Us and Them is the best from TDSOTM  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #610 on: August 04, 2012, 09:48:11 PM »
Us and Them is the best from TDSOTM  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart
Obviously! :p

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: August 05, 2012, 07:36:33 AM »
(the name slips my mind...but it was the biggie where that guy was slipping in clues about that thingy mystery that was never solved...there were pictures of messages in lights at concerts...etc....but I digress).

I always wanted to find out the answer to that puzzle they had. The pics of the messages at the concerts were pretty cool.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:46 PM »
Poles Apart :heart

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #613 on: August 10, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »
Australian Pink Floyd show were amazing BTW!

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Ħ

« Reply #614 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
So I've never really listened to and PF album outside of DSOTM, The Wall, Animals, and WYWH. I've been going through the others recently and, while I can appreciate them greatly, they aren't as good as those four. Here's some of my thoughts on the ones I've listened to:

Ummagumma - their most out-there album I've heard. Probably something no one but a die hard PF fan would care for. It was interesting but I doubt I'd listen again.

Meddle - very pleasant album. Echoes unfortunately was a disappointment, probably one of the lesser tracks on the album.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Totally boring, I did not click with a single song.

Final Cut - VERY impressive. This is the Pink Floyd sound that I love the most. Very desperate and melodramatic. Love it.

The Division Bell - Very very good, but a very different beast from the Roger Waters albums. It had very beautiful solos and I would not be surprised if JP got a lot of inspiration for his tone from this album. Very nice.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn/A Saucerful of Secrets - Pretty awful.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #615 on: August 18, 2012, 02:34:51 AM »

Meddle - very pleasant album. Echoes unfortunately was a disappointment, probably one of the lesser tracks on the album.

:angry:
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #616 on: August 18, 2012, 04:56:55 AM »
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn/A Saucerful of Secrets - Pretty awful.
Wrong. And why on Earth did you skip Atom heart mother?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #617 on: August 18, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
I wouldn't describe Piper... as awful, but it is definitely not that good, and I'll never get the high rating it gets from a lot of people. 

I like Echoes a lot, but Meddle as a whole is certainly not great. 

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
The final cut is pretty underrated, it's one of my favourites.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #619 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »
Atom Heart Mother is very underrated. Its a gem of an album.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #620 on: August 18, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
I wouldn't describe Piper... as awful, but it is definitely not that good, and I'll never get the high rating it gets from a lot of people. 

Agree with both points. On the latter one Fearless is also excellent, but the rest of the album is merely... there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #621 on: August 18, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »
AHM is very cool. I think it's better than Meddle.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #622 on: August 18, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
I would.  :biggrin:
I could never understand the love for that album.

I like Meddle a lot but it certainly is a bit uneven compared to their best albums.

I finally listened to The Final Cut a few weeks ago and I think it's unfairly maligned by the PF community.  It's much, much more cohesive and consistent than The Wall.

Atom Heart Mother is... okay.  Frankly, a lot of it is rather boring but I haven't really listened to it all that much.  It's just never really impressed me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #623 on: August 18, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
The problem with Piper is that so much of it is just psychedelic weirdness, which doesn't appeal that much to me.  Interstellar Overdrive starts off with that cool riff (even if the guitar tone is sort of like fingernails on a chalkboard), but then delves off into nine minutes of random weirdness.  I suppose something like that is great if you are stoned out of your mind ;), but if you are not, maybe not so much? :biggrin:

Astronomy Domine is great, but was done significantly better when Gilmour was in the band, both when played longer (and featured on the Ummagumma live disc) and more direct and focused on The Division Bell tour.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #624 on: August 18, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
I think the problem with TFC is it's missing a lot of the elements that made Floyd... well, Floyd. That and it's really depressing. It's a well written album and very consistent, I just don't like it. It doesn't sound like Floyd, it sounds like Roger Waters (not that that's a bad thing, Amused To Death and Radio KAOS kick arse in a really, really epic way).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #625 on: August 18, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
Piper at the gates of dawn just shines with beauty and joy for the most part. The last four songs on the album in particular just make me happy and help me realize how wonderful life can be. It's probably the only Floyd album which works that way, that's why it stands out in their discography.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #626 on: August 18, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
I think the problem with TFC is it's missing a lot of the elements that made Floyd... well, Floyd. That and it's really depressing. It's a well written album and very consistent, I just don't like it. It doesn't sound like Floyd, it sounds like Roger Waters (not that that's a bad thing, Amused To Death and Radio KAOS kick arse in a really, really epic way).
True. It's more of a Waters album than a PF album. For me, the same thing goes for A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell: I consider them both to be more Gilmour albums than PF albums, and I don't really like them very much.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #627 on: August 19, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
Just had a double dose of DSOTM and WYWH. What a magical evening.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #628 on: August 19, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »
Listened to the remaining albums.

Atom Heart Mother - I don't remember much about it other than I liked it. It was pretty good.

Obscured By Clouds - Completely forgettable. Not bad music but I just don't remember a single thing about it.

Soundtrack From The Film More (not sure if this is considered an actual studio album or not) - Pretty lame.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #629 on: August 19, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »
I really have to say I prefer Waters-dominated material the most. The Wall and The Final Cut are probably my top two PF albums at this point. They have an emotional kick to them that the other albums seem to lack.