Author Topic: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Mister Gold)  (Read 29471 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: wolfking)
« Reply #420 on: September 25, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
Hey again, everyone! Just wanted to pop in and say that I'll be starting to post my Song Ranking list in here a week from today. I'd planned to start earlier this week, but have realized that I will be needing to take some extra time to really mull over my list and finalize the last details.

See, as you guys might remember, I originally planned on just doing a Top 25 list, but I have since decided to challenge myself a bit more and instead aim for a Top 50 list this go around. Obviously this is still not quite as extensive as either 425 or Kade's lists, but I think we'd all be waiting a fair bit longer on me if I tried to force anything past 50 or so. :lol

So yeah! Mister Gold's Top 50 Iron Maiden Songs will be starting in a week's time! :metal

SNEAK PREVIEW - Mister Gold's Iron Maiden Studio Album Rankings
16. No Prayer For The Dying - Steve Harris' greatest mistake. You could make the case though that this album arguably led to where the band is today in the long run, so there's that going for it at least. But I'm of the mind that Adrian was right on the money when he thought Iron Maiden should've continued to explore its more progressive sound that they'd been developing on Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son. Still, we probably wouldn't have Janick Gers in the band today without this album, so maybe there's that also going for the album's favor.

15. Virtual XI - There's some great songs on here, like The Clansman and Como Estais Amigos, and the album certain "feels" closer to a typical Iron Maiden album than The X Factor does at first glance. However, aside from the rather stale production, it really feels like Steve wrote some of these songs subconsciously in mind for Bruce and not Blaze. The X Factor, with all of its flaws and charm, was clearly an album designed for someone with Blaze's vocal range.

14. Fear Of The Dark - This one's an interesting album and also has some good songs on it. But I always kinda got the feeling that you could hear Bruce's interest in the band dying out on this album... right along with his strained vocal performance from this era. Just not my thing, I suppose.

13. Killers - We've officially reached the part of the list where I'm going to constantly be second guessing myself, because I consider each of these albums to be pretty great in some regard or another. Honestly, I'm shocked I wound up listing Killers so low, because I LOVE the production of this album. Martin Birch's recruitment as the producer resulted in a HUGE leap in the quality of the sound here compared to the band's debut and I love Paul's performance on the title track especially. But at the end of the day, the songs here just aren't quite as strong as what the band had accomplished on the previous album, nor do they compare at all to what most of the band's future has to offer.

12. The Book of Souls - Another album that I'm shocked I'm listing so low. I remember when this came out five years ago and thought that the second disk on its own might've been one of the strongest runs in the band's history. That might still be the case, but in the time since, I've found myself returning less and less often to the album as a whole and instead revisiting key tracks like If Eternity Should Fail, Tears of a Clown, Empire of the Clouds and the title track. I've been very vocal about not liking the studio album of The Red & The Black, but admittedly that track really comes to life in the live setting.

11. Dance of Death - In a way, this album feels like the Reunion Era's "Powerslave" to me. It has some of the band's best songs ever, but it's also got some other songs in between that I don't find as strong either. Still, stuff like Rainmaker, Paschendale and the title track have been long lasting favorites of mine for practically the entire time I've considered myself an Iron Maiden fan.

10. The X Factor - I have a weird relationship with this album. It took me a good five years of being an Iron Maiden album before I really started to appreciate The X Factor, and there's a knot in my gut right now that's upset at my ranking it "too lowly." There's some terrific gems here, and while Blaze isn't as strong a singer as Bruce, he absolutely fits the material and mood here. However, with as much time the album's grown on me, so too have its flaws- the production is a huge setback. Moreover, while I personally don't dislike what has become the "Iron Maiden Epic" formula of "starting quietly, explode into big heavy epic, then end quietly again," it feels a bit too clunky on this album at times for me. Basically The X Factor is an album that's very much an acquired taste; when you're in the right mood for it, there's nothing else quite like it in the band's discography. Most of the time though, I just come here for Sign of the Cross and 2 A.M.

9. Brave New World - The band's best sounding album. I will fight anyone who argues otherwise on this point. :lol But seriously, in terms of the band's "sound," Brave New World has no equal. Bruce was back in the band and his voice had not only recovered by 1999/2000, he was in the absolute peak of his career. On top of that, Kevin Shirley's production on this album is the stuff of dreams... which only makes the "sound" of most other subsequent Reunion era albums all the more tragic. The only other Iron Maiden-related album that compares in the audio quality here is Bruce's solo album, The Chemical Wedding, which was made just a couple of years prior. There are some gems on this album, but as others have pointed out, the lyrics in certain choruses were perhaps a bit too lazy.

8. Iron Maiden - Where it all started. Obviously the production here is pretty dated and Dennis Stratton is no Adrian Smith or Janick Gers, but the songs just speak for themselves. Genuinely one of the band's strongest outings. If it had the production of Killers, I'm pretty sure I would be ranking it even higher.

7. The Number of the Beast - I'm surprised I'm ranking this album so highly. I have an innate instinct to talk smack on this album half the time, even if it features some of the band's most definitive songs. It's a bonafide classic! I know it, you all know it too... so why am I always talking down one of the most iconic metal albums of all time? Maybe it's just my appreciation for other works the band's done, but whatever the case may be, I can't deny quality material when I see it.

6. Powerslave - I once saw someone refer to this album as the "Thriller" of heavy metal. While I'm not entirely sure I agree, I absolutely get the case for such a claim. This album is just iconic. One of the band's greatest ever album covers, several of their best ever compositions, it featured the "classic lineup" and it was all happening in the right time at the right place. However, as I said before with Dance of Death, Powerslave's middle portion doesn't quite match what kicks off the album nor what caps it off. Still, incredible stuff!

5. Somewhere In Time - One of the band's most experimental albums ever and that moment in time where Adrian Smith kinda cemented himself as the band's best guitarist IMO. While it sucks that Bruce wasn't on the same wavelength as everyone else for the songwriting on this album, there's a lot to appreciate about this album and how it foreshadowed what we would see the band morph into decades later with the Reunion era. It's a shame that Heaven Can Wait's chorus doesn't fit with the rest of that song. This album might've taken top spot with just a few tweaks in certain areas.

4. The Final Frontier - What can I say? It's proggy as hell... and I love "proggy as hell." It was also the first studio album to come out after I became a Maiden fan, so even if it's not my absolute favorite, there's a certain nostalgia I have for that window of time in Fall 2010.

3. Pieces of Mind - This album is stupid close to being the best thing Iron Maiden ever did. It's incredibly well paced, the whole lineup's on fire, Martin Birch's production is terrific and the songwriting is mostly stellar... but goddamn do Quest For Fire and Sun & Steel get in the way. :lol

Tied 1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son/A Matter of Life And Death - I adore these two albums. They're both consistent from start to finish, they both sound great and both played key roles in sparking my creativity and imagination for creative writing and storytelling. I fell in love with both albums over the course of Summer 2009. I'd already been an Iron Maiden fan for over a year at that point, but I'd mostly stayed in my comfort zone of listening to stuff off of Brave New World, the 80's era albums and Rock In Rio. Then, for whatever reason, I found myself looking up Seventh Son and then AMoLaD whilst on an extensive cross-country road trip with my family that took us back and forth across the United States multiple times over. Every new day I'd be writing something and listening to each riff and lyric as they would spark some new idea in my head and fuel my drive. Over eleven years later, I still feel inspired as hell whenever I listen to either album.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:39:31 PM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: September 25, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
Nice mate.  Looking forward to this.

Good to see TFF high.  To be honest, it's climbing up for me.  I guess I should have had a crack at ranking the albums.

Great writeups too, really enjoyed reading them mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #422 on: September 25, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »

Good to see TFF high.  To be honest, it's climbing up for me.  I guess I should have had a crack at ranking the albums.

Thanks! Sorry for the continued holdups. Just want to make sure I'm thorough with this list. :lol

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised myself. I still think TFF's production is a bit too weak and the pacing isn't perfect, but goddamn does that album have a ton of great material that's aged well for me. :metal

Greatly appreciated! I felt a little guilty about being so brutal with my thoughts on No Prayer after you've been so vocal about appreciating that album in your list, but alas that album just isn't going to ever click for me I think. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:43 PM »

Thanks! Sorry for the continued holdups. Just want to make sure I'm thorough with this list. :lol

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised myself. I still think TFF's production is a bit too weak and the pacing isn't perfect, but goddamn does that album have a ton of great material that's aged well for me. :metal

Greatly appreciated! I felt a little guilty about being so brutal with my thoughts on No Prayer after you've been so vocal about appreciating that album in your list, but alas that album just isn't going to ever click for me I think. :lol

It's your list mate, no need to worry about hurting peoples feelings, go nuts.

I agree regarding the production on TFF.  I'll have to check the 2015 remaster at some stage.

Offline DTA

« Reply #424 on: September 26, 2020, 06:28:35 AM »
Looking forward to it. I always get a little discouraged when I see No Prayer so low, but I also get pretty thrilled when I see Final Frontier so high. Also, while I think X Factor is severely let down by Blaze's voice, I'm glad to see 2 A.M. get a mention as it's actually a song I like quite a bit but never really think about since I play X Factor about once every few years.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #425 on: September 26, 2020, 06:51:16 AM »
Looking forward to it. I always get a little discouraged when I see No Prayer so low, but I also get pretty thrilled when I see Final Frontier so high. Also, while I think X Factor is severely let down by Blaze's voice, I'm glad to see 2 A.M. get a mention as it's actually a song I like quite a bit but never really think about since I play X Factor about once every few years.

Yeah, I know No Prayer has its fans, but that album's never resonated with me. Mother Russia is probably going to make it into the Top 50, but yeah... don't expect a lot of No Prayer songs on the list. :lol

Meanwhile, Final Frontier has some genuinely terrific songwriting on it. I think it's a safe bet it'll be properly represented on my list. :tup And yeah, while I personally do like Blaze's performance on The X Factor, I do wonder if the album would be drastically more popular with fans if Bruce had sung on the album. Either way, 2 A.M. is criminally underrated in the band's discography and is one of their most relatable songs ever IMO.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline The Realm

« Reply #426 on: September 27, 2020, 12:06:48 AM »
Looking forward to a new top 50 list. As I’ve said earlier in this thread, the love for TFF here has had me revisiting that album quite a bit and even though I did like it upon release I am definitely appreciating it more. However nothing will ever replace the 80s output of Maiden for me. Those first 7 albums were a massive part of my musical journey and a huge influence on me growing up. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is refreshing to read all these different views but it is still a shock to me when I see some of my most loved albums ranked so low! And yes it is tough for me to fathom No Prayer being ranked at the bottom.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: September 27, 2020, 03:36:25 AM »

Yeah, I know No Prayer has its fans, but that album's never resonated with me. Mother Russia is probably going to make it into the Top 50, but yeah... don't expect a lot of No Prayer songs on the list. :lol

Meanwhile, Final Frontier has some genuinely terrific songwriting on it. I think it's a safe bet it'll be properly represented on my list. :tup And yeah, while I personally do like Blaze's performance on The X Factor, I do wonder if the album would be drastically more popular with fans if Bruce had sung on the album. Either way, 2 A.M. is criminally underrated in the band's discography and is one of their most relatable songs ever IMO.

Wow!

And great call on 2AM.  Such a depressing, dark and moody rocker.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #428 on: September 27, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »

SNEAK PREVIEW - Mister Gold's Iron Maiden Studio Album Rankings

13. Killers

Pro tip:  proof read your posts.  You fat-fingered a "3" next to the "1" for Killers.

HAHA, I'm kidding; I know you explained why, and it's your list.  But I got hold of a boot from one of the Italian shows after Bruce joined, and before they wrote/recorded Number, and it's a very "Killers' heavy set (every song but Prodigal Son, if memory serves) and man, kind of lit my fire for that album.

it would make my top three, probably.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Mister Gold)
« Reply #429 on: September 27, 2020, 03:30:39 PM »
Killers is a great album. I'm just not a huge fan of the title track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: September 27, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »

It is a great album. 

Genghis Khan is brutal and Another Life and Innocent Exile were always very forgotten but nice tunes.

I always just felt the album ended a bit ordinary on Drifter.  Never really got into that one.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #431 on: October 01, 2020, 07:07:53 AM »
There's still a couple of days left before I begin my Top 50 countdown, but I figured I'd pop in here to reply to some of the feedback on the album rankings before we get the countdown started!

Killers is a great album, even if it is ranked low for me! But you're not a fan of the title track? It's the best song on the album! :metal Paul Dianno's best vocal performance in the band right there IMO. "Punk rock meets Rob Halford" is what always comes to my mind when listening to it.

Pro tip:  proof read your posts.  You fat-fingered a "3" next to the "1" for Killers.

HAHA, I'm kidding; I know you explained why, and it's your list.  But I got hold of a boot from one of the Italian shows after Bruce joined, and before they wrote/recorded Number, and it's a very "Killers' heavy set (every song but Prodigal Son, if memory serves) and man, kind of lit my fire for that album.

it would make my top three, probably.   

Ha! That sounds like it'd be a fun bootleg to listen to. There's definitely a ton of great stuff on Killers. I love the punchiness of the production on that album.

Wow!

And great call on 2AM.  Such a depressing, dark and moody rocker.

Yeah, there's not anything else quite like 2 AM in the band's catalogue IMO.

Looking forward to a new top 50 list. As I’ve said earlier in this thread, the love for TFF here has had me revisiting that album quite a bit and even though I did like it upon release I am definitely appreciating it more. However nothing will ever replace the 80s output of Maiden for me. Those first 7 albums were a massive part of my musical journey and a huge influence on me growing up. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is refreshing to read all these different views but it is still a shock to me when I see some of my most loved albums ranked so low! And yes it is tough for me to fathom No Prayer being ranked at the bottom.

I love both the 80's and the Reunion eras a great deal! I think the band's generally gotten more consistent across the board with their albums in the Reunion era, but there's definitely arguments to be made about the ingenuity and fire fueling the band during the 80's.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #432 on: October 03, 2020, 02:00:32 AM »
The time has arrived and the moment has been prepared for...

Mister Gold's Top 50 Iron Maiden Songs

50. "Iron Maiden" - Starting the countdown off with the band's titular song! :metal While I think most fans would probably agree that the band maybe plays this song a bit too often live these days, there's still a strong charm to this barn burner. Fascinatingly, the composition of "Iron Maiden" reminds me a bit of "Phantom of the Opera" from the same album in that the song feels very much like a marriage between the heavy punk influences of the band's early work and the more elaborate progressive rock/metal melodies and riffs that would come to define the band over time.

49. "Tears of a Clown" - And now we jump from a song off the band's very first album to their latest! I remember raising an eyebrow back in 2015 after the band mentioned that this song was partially inspired by the tragic death of comedian Robin Williams from the year prior, and growing a bit worried that the song would stand out like a sore thumb due to that information. Thankfully however, I needn't worried, as "Tears of a Clown" is one of the stronger short songs in the Reunion Era. The lyrics are respectful enough to not be too direct with Williams' death and instead feels more universal and relatable.

48. "Journeyman" - I knew I had to throw this particular Reunion era epic in the mix somewhere, but let's be honest- it's not even close to being the best epic on Dance of Death, much less the rest of the band's catalogue. Still, I quite love the live acoustic version of this song. It feels a fair bit different from the rest of the modern epics the band has composed in the past 20+ years for that.

47. "The Edge of Darkness" - Much like with my aforementioned feelings on The X Factor, I feel guilty for ranking "The Edge of Darkness" so low now after it was somewhere in my Top 15 seven years ago. There's some very interesting stuff going on in this song and I love the atmosphere, but now that I've lived with the song for a much longer period of time, I feel like it could've been fine-tuned to something even better.

46. "Still Life" - This is one of my favorite little unspoken gems in the band's catalogue. Hardly anyone ever seems to talk about "Still Life," but I love that main riff! It actually reminds me a bit of the main guitar riff in Charles Daniels Band's "Still in Saigon." Granted this is a much moodier song, with its eerie horror story lyrics. I initially ranked this song far higher on the list, but opted to knock it down after thinking more critically about how often I listen to "Still Life" compared to some of the band's other works.

To Be Continued...

Annnnd that's the start of my Top 50 list! :metal :tup I think I'll be updating this list probably once or twice a week moving forward, though if anyone feels like I'm taking too long to make my way through the list, let me know and I'll speed things up!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline DTA

« Reply #433 on: October 03, 2020, 05:25:25 AM »
Journeyman is a really cool song. It's amazing to think that it's probably their first song with acoustic guitar in it but it didn't happen until their 13th album. Tears of A Clown is also a good choice, though I gloss over the lyrics so much I had no idea what it was even about. Still Life is SO overlooked by the band and one of the more unique tracks from the classic era.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #434 on: October 03, 2020, 07:15:56 PM »
Journeyman is a really cool song. It's amazing to think that it's probably their first song with acoustic guitar in it but it didn't happen until their 13th album. Tears of A Clown is also a good choice, though I gloss over the lyrics so much I had no idea what it was even about. Still Life is SO overlooked by the band and one of the more unique tracks from the classic era.

I'm actually surprised the band hasn't really played Journeyman live since the Dance of Death tour, as it really feels like it'd be a solid crowdpleaser and a nice breather moment in the setlist.

SERIOUSLY. Still Life is so dang good, but I hardly ever hear anyone talk about it.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: October 05, 2020, 07:53:10 AM »
Journeyman is a top five song for me (maybe top ten).   Love that tune, and love Bruce's vocal.   Which is also why I love Still Life; in real time, when the album came out, Piece Of Mind was a real leap forward from Number.  Number was bare bones metal (think of the videos with the bare metal staging and Bruce with the armlets of studs), but Piece was something more.  I loved Still Life then and love it now.   "Take... a look... in the POOL and what do you see-e-eeee?" Then the drum fill as the band kicks in, you can almost see the waters roiling and whatever it is revealing itself... 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: October 05, 2020, 02:57:56 PM »
I never really liked Journeyman, but I'm glad they did it so I can really appreciate it.

Tears of A Clown is an interesting choice.

Still Life is wonderful and love The Edge of Darkness pick.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #437 on: October 05, 2020, 03:06:36 PM »
Nice start to the new top 50!

The song Iron Maiden, is a really great choice at number 50. To me it kind of feels like just the right spot for it in an Iron Maiden top 50 song list. It is far from their best song and fair way off the worst and because of its 'importance' and 'longevity' it should be there somewhere. Overall I've always liked the song but no doubt it is overplayed....

Tears of a Clown - not one of my favs.

Journeyman - a really nice song and good to see Maiden doing an acoustic track but again not one of my favs.

The Edge of Darkness - I have commented on my opinion of Blaze a few times earlier in this thread. This song is probably one of the better vocal performances by Blaze on the album. The intro/outro is great, and I agree that the song is very atmospheric and I enjoy Blaze on the quieter parts here. He still doesn't work for me on the heavy stuff though...Rhythmically and musically this song has a fair bit going on. 

Still Life - now we are talking! An all time classic. Awesome intro and beautiful Dave solo. Bruce's vocals on this song are just next level compared to Blaze (sorry Blaze fans). I've always loved how the song continues to build with increased intensity in each verse (great Nicko drumming) and the instrumental section rules.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #438 on: October 08, 2020, 05:26:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :metal Now onto the next leg of the list!

45. "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" - On paper, I feel like I should be ranking this song considerably higher than I am. Somewhere around the Top 10 area. We're talking about a song that feels like Iron Maiden doing their spin on a classic 70's era Pink Floyd, after all. I LOVE that concept. And while I don't dislike the song (obviously), it feels like "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" is kind of jagged in how certain parts transition into one another. It feels clunky in a way that neither Floyd or Maiden ever do in their best moments, regardless of the flashing moments of brilliance in "Afraid."

44. "Man On The Edge" - A Briefcase, A Lunch... and a Man on the Edge! What can I say? I love this song! And this is one of those picks on my list where I feel like its position could've wound up in drastically different places depending on the time of week I made the call. On the one hand, I listen to this song a lot. It's a regular "Go To" of mine when it comes to Maiden's numerous shorter songs... but does that in and of itself means it deserves a higher ranking on the list? Compositionally speaking, I don't think the song is particularly groundbreaking for the band and it's not like there aren't things that the band could've improved on either. But still, for what it is, "Man On The Edge" is a rocking good time from the Blaze era of the band!

43. "Moonchild" - I've already talked about how Seventh Son is tied for first place among Maiden's discography in my book, so I don't think it'll surprise anyone to see that my list will feature a fair number of songs off that album. And "Moonchild" is one heck of an opener! The lyrics, the mood. I love how the album kicks off from its central antagonist's POV and essentially acts as a sign of doom for how the rest of the story will unfold.

42. "These Colors Don’t Run" - I'll be honest; even if I didn't enjoy this song, I probably would've included it on my Top 50 list if only because of the hilarious origin story of its title. :lol Say what you will of the Osbourne family and the various drama stories between other bands, but Bruce defiantly crying out "THESE COLORS DON'T RUN" mid-concert after being heckled and then the band going on to make a song with that title a year or two later is entertaining in and of itself. But again, I do enjoy this song! It's a great mid-length song in the vein of something like "Two Minutes To Midnight" and was forged during what I would argue was the second of the band's two "peak" moments in their career.

41. "The Red & The Black" - Check back with me in a few years whenever we do another Iron Maiden Songs Countdown List and you might even see "The Red & The Black" listed higher than it is now! I've been pretty open about my distaste for the song ever since The Book of Souls dropped five years ago, but I was shocked to realize how well the song actually worked in a live setting compared to its original studio album version. See, on the studio version, I feel like TRATB suffers from a similar issue as "Afraid To Shoot Strangers," where there are a ton of great riffs and melodies being used, but the transitions feel clunky and awkward. In a live setting, however, there's a strong, enticing groove that connects and smoothly transitions the various pieces of the song together in a natural way- and the result is one of the more surprising epics to come from Iron Maiden in recent years. But for now, I'm still coping with the initial two years of utter hatred I had with this song, so we'll see where it falls for me in the future. :lol :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: October 08, 2020, 06:17:17 AM »
This is a good set of songs.  I'm not sure I agree with "Man On The Edge", but the rest are quality, and several - the Red And The Black, Afraid To Shoot Strangers - could be higher on my list.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: October 08, 2020, 06:26:09 AM »
Highly agree with 4 of those.  Man on the Edge is an interesting choice.  One of the weakest on the album for me.  Props for including it though.

Agree on Red, that was blistering live.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #441 on: October 08, 2020, 07:53:15 AM »
This is a good set of songs.  I'm not sure I agree with "Man On The Edge", but the rest are quality, and several - the Red And The Black, Afraid To Shoot Strangers - could be higher on my list.
Highly agree with 4 of those.  Man on the Edge is an interesting choice.  One of the weakest on the album for me.  Props for including it though.

Agree on Red, that was blistering live.

Yeah, I fully acknowledge that "Man On The Edge" isn't anything particularly groundbreaking or super special. It's just a shorter Maiden song that I've always really liked, for some reason or another. :lol

As for Red and AFTSS, next time we make these lists, I imagine Red might get a bit higher now that I actually have an appreciation for the song, but IDK about AFTSS. It's got some great bits to it, but even when I hear it live, it doesn't quite 'connect' to me the same way Red wound up doing in my book.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline 425

« Reply #442 on: October 08, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
Really interested to see another list with some great picks that are nonetheless different from a lot of mine.

Going back to your first post, Tears of a Clown, Journeyman, The Edge of Darkness and Still Life are all really good and interesting songs that missed my top 60 but felt like they could very easily have snuck in. I agree that The Edge of Darkness feels a little bit unfinished, like it could have been a bit more than it was. It fell from my top 30 or so down to maybe 70-80 over the years for that reason. I think you also make a good point about the way Tears of a Clown speaks about a universal subject related to Robin Williams's passing; now that I think about it, that's why the lyrics on that one work so well for me.

Iron Maiden the song... I greatly enjoy it as a moment in their live show, and would never want it removed (fortunately it never will be), but for me it is more about the spectacle of Eddie and all rather than the quality of the song, which I think is decent but unremarkable.

Moving now to today's post: Moonchild and These Colours Don't Run are great choices that I placed similarly. ATSS is one I had much higher, but I suppose I can see your point about the transitions, even though that's not an issue that bothers me. Man on the Edge is a good song, but they have a lot of better ones, and it wouldn't come close to this height for me. It's probably my least favorite song on the very strong X Factor.

The Red and the Black is... one that I still struggle with. I enjoy it, but it also feels like there's something somewhat missing. Like you, I can see myself placing it higher in the future.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline DTA

« Reply #443 on: October 09, 2020, 03:27:03 AM »
The Red & The Black is like a perfect 6 minute song stretched for another 7 minutes. I really wish it had been edited down and the excess repetition removed because the main themes of the song are absolutely incredible. Also, I think Steve should've done a few more takes on the intro because it sounds a bit sloppy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: October 09, 2020, 05:24:44 AM »
The Red & The Black is like a perfect 6 minute song stretched for another 7 minutes. I really wish it had been edited down and the excess repetition removed because the main themes of the song are absolutely incredible. Also, I think Steve should've done a few more takes on the intro because it sounds a bit sloppy.

:lol yeah, Steve's intro is pretty shit.  The idea is great but his execution is just horrid.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #445 on: October 09, 2020, 05:45:13 AM »
Really interested to see another list with some great picks that are nonetheless different from a lot of mine.

Going back to your first post, Tears of a Clown, Journeyman, The Edge of Darkness and Still Life are all really good and interesting songs that missed my top 60 but felt like they could very easily have snuck in. I agree that The Edge of Darkness feels a little bit unfinished, like it could have been a bit more than it was. It fell from my top 30 or so down to maybe 70-80 over the years for that reason. I think you also make a good point about the way Tears of a Clown speaks about a universal subject related to Robin Williams's passing; now that I think about it, that's why the lyrics on that one work so well for me.

Iron Maiden the song... I greatly enjoy it as a moment in their live show, and would never want it removed (fortunately it never will be), but for me it is more about the spectacle of Eddie and all rather than the quality of the song, which I think is decent but unremarkable.

Moving now to today's post: Moonchild and These Colours Don't Run are great choices that I placed similarly. ATSS is one I had much higher, but I suppose I can see your point about the transitions, even though that's not an issue that bothers me. Man on the Edge is a good song, but they have a lot of better ones, and it wouldn't come close to this height for me. It's probably my least favorite song on the very strong X Factor.

The Red and the Black is... one that I still struggle with. I enjoy it, but it also feels like there's something somewhat missing. Like you, I can see myself placing it higher in the future.

Thanks for the feedback, man! :biggrin:

Honestly, even though I've come to respect the song a lot more in recent years after catching it live, I do still agree with this sentiment. If the song were trimmed down by half of its length, I imagine it'd probably be a monster six-minute song from the band akin to "Powerslave."

:lol yeah, Steve's intro is pretty shit.  The idea is great but his execution is just horrid.

Spoiler Warning: I liked Steve's bass intro better when it was done in Blood On The World's Hands! :biggrin: :tup

Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: October 09, 2020, 07:24:57 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that actually thought "WTF?" when I heard it though.   I get - and like - the idea of the intro, but it just sounds so tacked on and haphazard, especially since so much of the song later is rhythmically solid (you can almost feel the sway during the "The Red... and the Black..." part). 

Online Lupton

« Reply #447 on: October 09, 2020, 02:02:55 PM »
Funny thing is...it probably took Steve a number of takes just to "nail" what he did there. That sort of loose, expressive, non-metronomic Spanish-type phrasing is best left to jazz cats (like Stanley Clarke). It's not really something that is in Steve's wheelhouse, but I can appreciate that he tried there.

Edit: Sorry about the shitty explanation. Here's an example of the sort of thing it sounds like Steve was aiming at. Of course this is Jimmy Garrison on an upright:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1X_NN1uzuA

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:23:09 PM by Lupton »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: October 10, 2020, 01:40:55 AM »
It's because he's doing power chords which is causing his stiff movement.  I get it that it would have been difficult to nail doing what he's doing but it doesn't make it right.

That Blood on the Worlds Hands intro though is tremendous.  Because he's playing the same chords in arpreggio fashion is why it's more fluent.

Online Lupton

« Reply #449 on: October 10, 2020, 02:26:40 AM »
It's because he's doing power chords which is causing his stiff movement.  I get it that it would have been difficult to nail doing what he's doing but it doesn't make it right.

That Blood on the Worlds Hands intro though is tremendous.  Because he's playing the same chords in arpreggio fashion is why it's more fluent.

Yeah it sounds like it would be too hard to nail that part down without it sounding choppy and awkward....but I REALLY love that he went for something like that, and I'd never thought that it detracted from the intro of this song (for me at least!).  Agreed, Blood on the Worlds Hands intro though IS tremendous. Steve is just so unique as a bassist.

Sorry to interrupt yous guys thread! Carry on the good work!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: October 10, 2020, 03:45:31 AM »

Yeah it sounds like it would be too hard to nail that part down without it sounding choppy and awkward....but I REALLY love that he went for something like that, and I'd never thought that it detracted from the intro of this song (for me at least!).  Agreed, Blood on the Worlds Hands intro though IS tremendous. Steve is just so unique as a bassist.

Sorry to interrupt yous guys thread! Carry on the good work!  :metal

Chime in more often mate, more the merrier.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #451 on: October 10, 2020, 04:01:56 AM »

Yeah, the Blood on the World's Hands bass intro is terrific. Much like the rest of that song. But we'll get back to that later. :hat
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Lupton

« Reply #452 on: October 10, 2020, 02:21:43 PM »

Thanks man! Wasn't too sure about making this too chatty while Mister Gold had the floor. I just sort of felt that Red and Black bass part was taking a bit more abuse here than it really deserved! But then...it is what it is. A good idea for a nice contemplative intro before the full band comes galloping in, but Steve's trying to ram too many bass chords past us too quickly and the result is the exact opposite of smooth. But I love hearing established musicians going outside their normal comfort zones, gambles don't always pay-off  ;)

And massive props for the educational info regarding the scale/theory for the solos.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: October 11, 2020, 04:41:49 AM »

Thanks man! Wasn't too sure about making this too chatty while Mister Gold had the floor. I just sort of felt that Red and Black bass part was taking a bit more abuse here than it really deserved! But then...it is what it is. A good idea for a nice contemplative intro before the full band comes galloping in, but Steve's trying to ram too many bass chords past us too quickly and the result is the exact opposite of smooth. But I love hearing established musicians going outside their normal comfort zones, gambles don't always pay-off  ;)

And massive props for the educational info regarding the scale/theory for the solos.  :tup

Thanks mate.  Love breaking down what's going on in the songs.

Yeah, I'm sure Mister Gold would want us to talk it up!  You're right though, it doesn't deserve the bashing we are giving it.  I actually really like it, and it's a good change to the long acoustic intro to a lot of their other epics.  I love the idea and I guess Steve was happy with it too haha.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #454 on: October 11, 2020, 07:25:00 AM »

Thanks mate.  Love breaking down what's going on in the songs.

Yeah, I'm sure Mister Gold would want us to talk it up!  You're right though, it doesn't deserve the bashing we are giving it.  I actually really like it, and it's a good change to the long acoustic intro to a lot of their other epics.  I love the idea and I guess Steve was happy with it too haha.

Yeah, by all means, I actually really want this countdown thread to have a lot of replies and feedback from everyone in here. It's a bit disheartening to wait a day or two after posting part of the countdown and only seeing one or two in that time. :lol

So yeah, by all means, please join in on the discussion! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea