Poll

Which project do you prefer?

Sons of Apollo
14 (45.2%)
Dominicci
17 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Former DT-member prog metal face-off  (Read 1020 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Former DT-member prog metal face-off
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:40:11 PM »
Inspired by some talk in the Mike Portnoy thread about his new project, and a comment or two about Sons of Apollo and what they were trying to be.  For some reason, my mind when right to Charlie's solo trilogy that he put together after being re-inspired by DT. 

So, compare, contrast, vote, discuss, whatever...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Former DT-member prog metal face-off
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »
kevin moore

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
I thought it kinda remarkable Charlie was able to come from the used car lot or wherever he had been for 20 years to release the albums he did. They weren't great, but they were better than they had a right to be.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
It doesn't make sense for me to vote here, seeing as I'm only familiar with Sons Of Apollo. Is Charlie's stuff worth exploring?
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 02:28:54 PM »
Something's wrong. I don't see the root canal option. Really, though:

kevin moore
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 02:42:27 PM »
It doesn't make sense for me to vote here, seeing as I'm only familiar with Sons Of Apollo. Is Charlie's stuff worth exploring?

I would say so.  But the first album of the trilogy is very different, and listening to it as as starting point is a little odd.  It is acoustic, and does not feel very prog.  I would maybe start with the third album just to sample the music, and then go back and listen in order and try to absorb the story.  In many ways, the stuff on 2 and 3 sounds derivative of DT, but that is fairly intentional.  And bottom line is, it sounds good.  And since Charlie wrote and was involved in all the writing, it is written to his strengths as a vocalist, and the vocals really sound pretty good, even if you don't like his vocals in DT. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online HOF

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
MP, Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian, and Charlie Dominici should do a band together. Mike can play bass and Derek can play guitar, and they can have two keyboards going too. It would probably be better than SOA by virtue of Moore’s involvement.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »
The only problem is that none of them would want to do any of these things  :lol

Tbh I prefer SOA to Dominici.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline emtee

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 03:41:46 PM »
I'll be in the minority but A Trilogy 2&3 are very enjoyable albums for me.

Offline krands85

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »
I'll be in the minority but A Trilogy 2&3 are very enjoyable albums for me.
Agreed.

I think I listened to the first SOA album once but it didn't do anything for me.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline emtee

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 04:08:28 PM »
Thanks to this thread I think I'll pull these off the shelf. It's been at least
3 years since I spun either of them. Sonically, they sound very good...I remember that!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 04:11:08 PM »
Really don't like SoA.

Checked out a random Dominicci song from his second album.

Ugh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 09:09:32 PM »
I was not a fan of Charlie with DT at all. His vocals never clicked with me. That said, I really enjoy Part 2 and Part 3. Can't explain why, but they are enjoyable records. Never heard Part 1, but am aware it is some acoustic singer/songwriter type thing.

As for the thread, I don't know. First Sons album was okay. Second one was way better for me. I listened to it quite a bit and way more than the first.

Can I call it a draw right now? I truly don't know how to vote in this one.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Skeever

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 06:03:07 AM »
This is gonna have to be a hard pass for me.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 08:13:15 AM »
This is actually really hard to choose. I ended up liking SOA more than I thought I would after a very average first album. Their second was pretty damn good.

I also am a big Dominici fan.

I also just happen to be a huge of nostalgia.

After the WDADRU reunion with Dominici, there was talk of Dominici getting back into music. His first foray was his acoustic album which I really enjoyed. Bought an autographed copy and told him as cool as it was, I would love to hear something more DT sounding. Eventually Mike set him up with some DT fans that had a prog band from...I don't remember, Italy? Charlie's wife at the time was from, I don't know, Hungry? They moved over there so he could be closer to his band and got a record deal.

He released Part 2 and it was awesome. Nothing groundbreaking. Just cool and enjoyable.

Part 3 is actually my favorite but the bummer is, once it was released, that's when the band was effectively over. They had only played a handful of shows, most of those were opening for DT in eastern europe.

So, there needs to be a "tie" option because that's where I'm leaning. Perhaps it's not fair since part of SOA's problem was the hype and the eventual let down. Maybe I'd vote for them over Dominici if their third album is as good as the last.

Definitely two of my favorite bands of the "former DT members" but if we were having an ultimate face off, I think Chroma Key would win because I listen to those songs a lot more.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 06:17:32 PM »
Hard choice.
Still haven't picked up the second Sons Album yet but those Dominici records are a lot better than I expected them to be. (Like the first one a fair bit too.)
Been ages since I've listened to any Dominici however.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »
Who is this Dominicci I can vote for?  :D

I know Part 3 of his trilogy albums and was surprised how heavy it was. Not a bad record and if anyone is allowed to be a DT-clone it is the ex-members, so no complaint there.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 09:27:52 AM »
Dominici’s albums aren’t great but neither are SoA’s. But SoA think they are the shit, which they aren’t, so my vote goes to Charlie.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 01:45:19 PM »
Dominici's first album is kinda meh, the second one is pretty good and the third one is good. SoA on the other hand was a big meh on the first album, so much so that I didn't even pay attention to the second one.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 11:08:35 AM »
Have to admit that I wouldn't have listened to (or even bought) either Dominici or Sons if not for the Dream Theater association.