Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 118332 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #595 on: September 12, 2020, 12:10:08 PM »

This made me laugh, as it is probably taking three minutes for this official to decide whether the Raiders s*ck or not. ;)  (the Browns have been mentioned, but you can insert the Lions in there as well).

Case in point:  the very first review of the season, when the Chiefs first TD was correctly overruled on replay.  We all saw the ball hit the ground before they went to a commercial.  And then another one.  And another.  And another.  And they were still looking at it after the break, as if waiting for the signal that the ads were over. 

An aspect of the game that I despise.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #596 on: September 13, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »
Granted I came in late (it was already 7-0 when I tuned in) but haven't seen anything from Cam that changes my mind.  Right now I'm faced with the unpleasant and uncomfortable reality that my least favorite player in the league is playing for perhaps my favorite team (I also like the Giants) and my favorite coach of all time. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #597 on: September 13, 2020, 12:23:20 PM »
A quarter and a half. It took a quarter and a half for me to completely lose hope in this season. The Jets look like a bunch of amateurs. Darnold is trying to carry this team but he’s not at the point where he can do it alone. Dropped passes from the receivers, no protection from the o-line, crippling third down penalties on defense, and unimaginative play calling from the coaching. This team is destined for a 4-12 finish, and I hope to god they don’t blame Darnold for it, because he’s really trying and it’s not his fault.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #598 on: September 13, 2020, 03:44:28 PM »
Tom's getting a first hand lesson in the value of playing on a disciplined team. He might grown tired of it, but a lack of discipline is hurting Tampa despite his efforts. That pick had to have pissed him off. Patriots don't abandon their routes like Evans did.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #599 on: September 13, 2020, 04:39:34 PM »
Tom's getting a first hand lesson in the value of playing on a disciplined team. He might grown tired of it, but a lack of discipline is hurting Tampa despite his efforts. That pick had to have pissed him off. Patriots don't abandon their routes like Evans did.

How about that 2nd pick?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #600 on: September 13, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »
Actually both QBs are fully showing their age.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #601 on: September 13, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
Big coaching advantage for the Saints.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #602 on: September 13, 2020, 05:11:36 PM »
Big coaching advantage for the Saints.

Nah..Peyton is the most overrated coach in the league. Do I have to go through this again??

The Bucs D blows. Tom looks awful. This was a scheduled loss though. I expect the Bucs to improve.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: September 13, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »
Arians - 65-42-1 (.606)

Peyton  - (131- 77) (.630)

Think Arians can keep it up?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #604 on: September 13, 2020, 06:20:28 PM »
Arians - 65-42-1 (.606)

Up until the last two years, which have been very good for the Saints, they averaged a 9-7 record. I've already posted their putrid playoff performances, only making one SB with Brees, and what..2 or 3 CGs?

Fuck Peyton. Overrated!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: September 13, 2020, 06:33:53 PM »
Tim, he was outcoached in "this" game. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: September 13, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
How many of us fans know the Saints tend to take chances especially when the 15 yard penalty was assessed. 

Arians did not prepare his team well enough for that situation.  This is one example.

He was outcoached this game.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #607 on: September 13, 2020, 06:43:48 PM »
Tim, he was outcoached in "this" game.

OK. then.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #608 on: September 13, 2020, 09:20:43 PM »

How about that 2nd pick?
That was butt ugly.  :lol

Arians - 65-42-1 (.606)

Up until the last two years, which have been very good for the Saints, they averaged a 9-7 record. I've already posted their putrid playoff performances, only making one SB with Brees, and what..2 or 3 CGs?

Fuck Peyton. Overrated!
Payton's teams don't generally make the silly mental mistakes you were seeing from Tampa today. Same with NE. As ugly as that second pick was, Tom played well enough to win with a better team performance.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: September 14, 2020, 05:54:41 AM »
That defensive off sides on 4th down is a prime example.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #610 on: September 14, 2020, 07:16:41 AM »
Darnold, Mayfield, Haskins, Goff, Burrow, Wentz, etc., all looked pretty mediocre (or worse) yesterday, even when their teams won in some cases. Wonder what will happen tonight with Jones, Dak and Drew Lock? Not sure it's the empty stadiums, COVID-19, or what, but especially the younger QBs of the league seemed to be  playing pretty poorly from what I could tell.

Of course then you have Mahomes and Jackson, etc., but we knew for sure they were good anyway.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: September 14, 2020, 07:39:38 AM »
I think the level of play was BETTER than I expected.  It's not what I would hope to see in December, but remember, there have been NO pre-season games and not a typical camp.   I really expected the tackling to be out the window and it wasn't (and that kind of fits with the QBs you saw do well and those you didn't).   I'm trying to be fair to Cam - no really, I am - but he falls into that.  He was mediocre yesterday, but what he did do well was exactly where I expected the defenses to struggle.

I can tend to mythologize Belichick, and I admit that, but I'm convinced he had to know that.   Whether Cam is his guy or not, he knew Cam was working with a limited playbook and limited time to get the McDaniels offense under his belt.  That game yesterday looked almost exactly like one of the Brissett games when Brady was serving his four game suspension, and after Garappolo hurt himself. 

Passing offenses - many of them - are timing, timing, timing.  Especially Brady's game.  He wasn't sharp yesterday, but he won't be that way come November, December.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: September 14, 2020, 07:45:52 AM »
I think it's no surprise that the teams that looked the best were the teams that didn't go through major changes.  No preseason and it's kind of expected that a lot of teams are going to need some time to gel. 

I'm pretty excited to watch a sports team I actually like for the first time in 2020 tonight, but man I have no hope for any success this season for the Giants.  I'll be happy if they are just competitive because they mostly weren't last year and I could desperately use a team that gives me some entertainment for the season.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #613 on: September 14, 2020, 08:15:12 AM »
I think the level of play was BETTER than I expected.  It's not what I would hope to see in December, but remember, there have been NO pre-season games and not a typical camp.   I really expected the tackling to be out the window and it wasn't (and that kind of fits with the QBs you saw do well and those you didn't).   I'm trying to be fair to Cam - no really, I am - but he falls into that.  He was mediocre yesterday, but what he did do well was exactly where I expected the defenses to struggle.

I can tend to mythologize Belichick, and I admit that, but I'm convinced he had to know that.   Whether Cam is his guy or not, he knew Cam was working with a limited playbook and limited time to get the McDaniels offense under his belt.  That game yesterday looked almost exactly like one of the Brissett games when Brady was serving his four game suspension, and after Garappolo hurt himself. 

Passing offenses - many of them - are timing, timing, timing.  Especially Brady's game.  He wasn't sharp yesterday, but he won't be that way come November, December.   

The respective passing games were pretty much exactly what I expected. Brady lives and dies on trusting where his receiver will be at any given time, and he doesn't have that trust. Maybe it'll develop and maybe it won't. It didn't through 18 games plus pre-season last year. Cam relies on trying to be the playmaker, and as such doesn't depend on pinpoint timing to the same degree. Brady could never gel with the receivers he had last year, save for 11. I'd hoped going in that Cam wouldn't have that problem, and I suspect that'll be the case. There's no reason why Harry and Jakobi Meyers can't catch balls, and despite being in an entirely different league, Cam might be a better option to get it to them.

In the meantime, TB12 is going to have to deal with being on an undisciplined team, and I don't think he's going to like that.
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

« Reply #614 on: September 14, 2020, 05:25:52 PM »
Raiders, Seahawks, Rams and Chargers all won!  Add the Dodgers and Marlins and I was 6-6 yesterday!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #615 on: September 14, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »
Big Ben is back, baby. That TD drive before the half was awesome.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #616 on: September 15, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »
I was disappointed with one particularly eggregiously bad call in the Panthers game (4th and short, and they give it to a FB, instead of to Christian McCaffrey), but I was overall pleasantly surprised with how the Panthers played.

I still don't expect much out of this season, but most of the game was entertaining.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: September 15, 2020, 10:10:30 AM »
I was disappointed with one particularly eggregiously bad call in the Panthers game (4th and short, and they give it to a FB, instead of to Christian McCaffrey), but I was overall pleasantly surprised with how the Panthers played.

I still don't expect much out of this season, but most of the game was entertaining.

I saw that, and the announcers made the same observation.  Only thing I could see was that they previously had gone to McCaffrey, and that was a safe way (fullback's only job - with the ball - is to get xth and short) to counter the D keying on their best offensive player.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #618 on: September 15, 2020, 10:12:07 AM »

I saw that, and the announcers made the same observation.  Only thing I could see was that they previously had gone to McCaffrey, and that was a safe way (fullback's only job - with the ball - is to get xth and short) to counter the D keying on their best offensive player.
I get why it might seem to be a good option.  But that's a good option in the first or second quarter, not with the game on the line.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: September 15, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »

I get why it might seem to be a good option.  But that's a good option in the first or second quarter, not with the game on the line.

No argument. I think you go with your best player when you have the chance.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: September 15, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
Giants looked like crap as expected.  It was only close for awhile due to the Steelers muffing a punt and a bad PI call that benefited the Giants.  It's going to be a long season with this OL.  Although, without the preseason and a brand new OL and coaching staff, at least there is some hope for improvement and maybe a light at the end of the tunnel from being the worst team (in terms of W/L) the last three years.

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #621 on: September 15, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »
Titans fan here.  Anyone know any good kickers?

Not that I (and other fans) didn't see that debacle coming.  John Robinson seems to be a savvy top-tier GM for the most part, but his kryptonite seems to be longtime veteran kickers coming off of injury/surgery.  Titans/Oilers are one of the NFL's historically amazing kicking franchises, but 2019 (and first game of 2020) are setting the wrong kind of records.  Holy moly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: September 16, 2020, 05:58:35 AM »
Giants looked like crap as expected.  It was only close for awhile due to the Steelers muffing a punt and a bad PI call that benefited the Giants.  It's going to be a long season with this OL.  Although, without the preseason and a brand new OL and coaching staff, at least there is some hope for improvement and maybe a light at the end of the tunnel from being the worst team (in terms of W/L) the last three years.

Barkley is GOOD, though.  I hope he can weather then storm of that growth period (OBJ couldn't).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: September 16, 2020, 07:59:03 AM »
I love Barkley but he can't do much if the OL is this bad.  He's a good dude though, I don't expect him to not give it his best, but when his contract is done, who can say where the team will be and what he'll be looking for.  I hope he's a Giant for life personally.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #624 on: September 16, 2020, 08:12:29 AM »

Barkley is GOOD, though.  I hope he can weather then storm of that growth period (OBJ couldn't).

And now I hear that OBJ is on the trading block?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #625 on: September 16, 2020, 08:31:11 AM »

Not that I (and other fans) didn't see that debacle coming.  John Robinson seems to be a savvy top-tier GM for the most part, but his kryptonite seems to be longtime veteran kickers coming off of injury/surgery.  Titans/Oilers are one of the NFL's historically amazing kicking franchises, but 2019 (and first game of 2020) are setting the wrong kind of records.  Holy moly.
I'm glad Gostkowski got the opportunity to save his ass with the game winner. He'll turn things around. He is absolutely not a choker, so he really just needs to get himself back into form.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #626 on: September 16, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »

That division is pretty crap though, Giants can make some noise there. Jones looks good to me and they seemed to have a good pass rush Monday.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: September 16, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »

I'm glad Gostkowski got the opportunity to save his ass with the game winner. He'll turn things around. He is absolutely not a choker, so he really just needs to get himself back into form.

That was kind of a crazy game for him.  Hard to believe that you'd miss so many like that but still be able to win the game.

That division is pretty crap though, Giants can make some noise there. Jones looks good to me and they seemed to have a good pass rush Monday.

I'm not sold on Jones. He had that bad interception in the second half.  He shows signs that he could be good, but I don't know.  The team has a lot to work on and there is that potential of growth for them, but if the OL doesn't get any better, I don't think it's going to work well for Jones' development.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #628 on: September 18, 2020, 08:53:38 PM »
I’ve seen a lot of football, but that game by Burrow last night was the most impressive performance I’ve ever seen by a rookie starting his 2nd game. Holy cow. Steelers are in big trouble for the next decade at least.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #629 on: September 19, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »
The NFL thread here has been pretty dead so far. Hopefully it will pick up.