Author Topic: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Final Round Results  (Read 73195 times)

Offline LordCost

I don't think any of those apply to mine. Some negative ones seemed fitting, but not until I read them until the end.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Right, so I didn't get to post Part 4, but I guess I'll just post the whole thing now. The first matchup results are coming in a few hours by the way.

Luoto: Ghost Bridage

Clawmaster
Into the Black Light
Aurora
Disembodied Voices
My Heart is a Tomb
Anchored
A Storm Inside

TAC: Silent Voices

World's End
Burning Shine
Fate Divided
Reign of Terror
Avalon

LordCost: Faith No More

From Out of Nowhere
Epic
Surprise! You're Dead!
Land of Sunshine
Caffeine
Cuckoo for Caca
Matador
Stripsearch
Ricochet
King for a Day

Puppies_On_Acid: The Human Abstract

A Violent Strike
Procession of Fates
Breathing Life in Devices
Mea Culpa
Complex Terms
The World is a Tomb
Polaris
Antebellum
Vela, Together We Await the Storm
A Dead World at Sunrise

Indiscipline: Billy Joel

The Entertainer
Prelude / Angry Young Man
Vienna
Zanzibar
Through the Long Night
Goodnight Salgon
Where's the Orchestra?
The Downeaster Alexa
Leningrad

jingle.boy: Hemina

Before
Nightlives
With What I See
For All Wrong Reasons
Moonlight Bride
Venus
Fantasy
Soulmates

senecadawg2: Primordial

Empire Falls
Gallows Hymn
Where Greater Men Have Fallen
The Mouth of Judas
Gods to the Godless
The Coffin Ships

wolfking: King Diamond

At the Graves
Sleepless Nights
Welcome Home
Arrival
The Family Ghost
Abigail
Eye of the Witch
From the Other Side
This Place is Terrible
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I kind of hope Indiscipline makes it through with Billy Joel. That's a great group of songs.  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
silent voices must have really long songs huh

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I kind of hope Indiscipline makes it through with Billy Joel. That's a great group of songs.  :tup

You really should get your priorities straight because the first matchup I'm doing is yours. :P

• DTF.org Member

You really should get your priorities straight because the first matchup I'm doing is yours. :P
Touche'

I hope I don't lose to King Diamond. Never did like him or Mercyful Fate very much.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Puppies_On_Acid: The Human Abstract

Positive: This compilation serves as a proof these guys know how to write freaking fantastic melodies, and also freaking fantastic song endings—one buildup and payoff in particular is one of my early favourites in this round. And so the question arises: why do they so rarely employ that particular talent of theirs?

Negative: It seems that whenever this band is stuck at some fine points of songwriting, or at least at writing vocal melodies, they scale back to the tried and true tactic of let’s scream something on top of our lungs even if it doesn’t fit the rhythm of the song at all and then just rewrite our rhythms to fit the syllables; we’ll call it a progressive touch and it’ll be just fine.

Man, this is seriously impressive in terms of how much of iron and carbon mixed to create those immaculate balls it took you to send this thing. This monstrous thing is unbelievable, and by that I mostly mean I can’t believe you sent this to me. You, of all people, and this, of all the things you could’ve sent.

I will say this: this is unexpected, and this is daring as hell, and this is something I never really thought I would get in a roulette and I appreciate it for that single notion, if nothing else. This is something that really oversteps its bounds where it comes to my familiarity with progressive music, as it’s technical as fuck, proggy as fuck, and the singer also screams his guts out as if he’s pissed. At the same time, some of it is really great, so there’s that.

There is a lot of stuff I don’t connect with in this compilation. Mostly, it’s the growly stuff and the spoken word parts—and whenever they combine the growls and the spoken words it gets really bad—but it’s also the whole technical aspect of their music. The way they’re doing those incredibly technical guitar runs is impressive, but in most cases, it really doesn’t enhance your music. And well, some of the songs sound like the band just didn’t know where to go with what they’ve got.

There’s also a lot of stuff I love. I mean, hell, these guys know how to write great melodies—I only wonder why they don’t use them more often. They also seem to know how to employ the build-ups and the climaxes in their songs. Both Complex Terms and Antebellum have stellar melodies, and A Violent Strike is great in terms of satisfying pay-off.  I only wish they’ve used that more frequently.

Overall, this was all over the place, honestly. There was a lot of stuff I liked, and also a lot of stuff I could’ve lived without. With the 50 minutes you had, you’ve got my attention for like 20 minutes of great stuff, and the rest was just there. This band seems to have a lot of ideas, some of them great, some of them quite mediocre, and this compilation does a great job shedding light on both aspects of their music. It’s just all over the place.

Favourite songs: Antebellum, Complex Terms, A Violent Strike

The way the quiet, calmer sections—sometimes even acoustic ones, and I know, I can’t believe it either—intertwine with the incredibly good parts that heavily remind me of Haken’s Initiate except heavier, damn, this song is something to live for. Best song from your compilation and also somewhere in the nine-ish spectrum, this is rich and fabulous.

Honestly, those three are mostly the reason this compilation is going to win. Antebellum and Complex Terms are incredibly melodic and just fantastic, and A Violent Strike has this unbelievable ending which is possibly my favourite thing in this matchup. These three songs are great and are way above the rest of your compilation.

Least favourite song: Breathing Life in Devices

This feels like the band was trying to reach out of their comfort zone—if they even have a comfort zone—and it ended up being a tacky wannabe hard rock song which I was ambivalent at first and developed a strong dislike on my subsequent listens.

I stand by what I thought in my first impression—this song is honestly pretty awful. Good thing you had those other songs to back you up, because this is really like a 4/10 or even worse. I pretty much hated this from the beginning to end.

wolfking: King Diamond

Positive: I will say one thing for this compilation: these guys certainly know how to write those kickass guitar riffs because holy shit, almost every song here has a riff that belongs in the riffs’ hall of fame if such thing even exists.

Negative: I mean, I knew what to anticipate going into this one, and still I was surprised at how much I didn’t like the vocals mostly. And again, I get why they are like this, but whereas the music and the songwriting is well above the average here, the vocals are something I can’t quite get past, no matter how much I try.

I’ll admit, I had high expectations for this one, because that was one band that I constantly saw referenced as one of the classics from that era, and I will say, they certainly deserve that status purely from the songs you sent me—the riffs on those are unbelievable. The guitar work on those songs is just incredible.

That being said, the vocals are also fairly standard for 80s metal—and this is where this band loses me. The way the main singer is screaming is impressive and ridiculous and I kinda wonder how did that translate live in 80s, because that must’ve been hell for anyone attending the concertbut s. It’s sufficient to say I don’t quite like it. I also don’t really like his clean vocals, if you can call that clean—he’s a bit too villainy for my taste.

I found this band to be a curious case because, you know, I’m fine with a lot of older bands and vocals, and even when we’re talking screaming heavy metal, I mean, W.A.S.P is one of the bands you recommended to me and it’s great, but this particular band is just killing me when it comes to the vocals—I don’t think they’re terrible, but I’m pretty sure they’re the reason my enjoyment of all these songs is plummeting down. I guess it’s an acquired taste.

But hey, I will say this again and again if I need to: the guitar work here is on point. Whether I like the vocals or not, the riffs here are just fantastic. The triple strike of Arrival, The Family Ghost and Abigail is really something.

Favourite songs: Arrival, At the Graves

This kind of feels like older Helloween with someone like Kiske doing the high vocals, Deris doing the lower, menacing parts, and both Hansen and Weikath are playing dirtier than usual and more riff-oriented.

Least favourite song: Welcome Home

Not only I found this song a bit boring, I honestly thought that was a fabulous material for a misheard video—then I searched for the lyrics and they were pretty much what I’ve heard in the song.

LET ME TAKE YOU
OUT OF THIS CHAIR
WICKED GRANDMA!

Yeah, this isn't doing it for me.

Conclusion:

Both of these compilations were impressive in their own way, and I liked some of the aspects here and there, but I will say: I liked The Human Abstract songs more than I liked the King Diamond ones. Both of these compilations were far from being great, and I’m fairly sure that both of these are actually in the lower half of the submissions I’ve got this round—but if I had to pick one, and I do, I would pick The Human Abstract. But while we’re at it, Puppies, you’ll have to step up your game next round if you want to have any chance to get to the finals. But hey, welcome to the semi-finals.

Winner: Puppies_On_Acid

wolfking, man, I knew what to expect from you—some hard rock and metal entries you literally think about in a few minutes before sending them. And they worked quite well! And honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm kinda sad you're out at this point, but at the same time, I'm kinda glad you played in my roulette. Your ranking is coming up soon.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:17:04 AM by Evermind »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
dammit puppies now we can't face off in the loser's bracket  :metal

• DTF.org Member
dammit puppies now we can't face off in the loser's bracket  :metal
oops  :facepalm:

This also means I need to figure out what to do for an EP....

Also I hope Primordial does well too. Fantastic band!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:28:47 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I kind of don't ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline LordCost

Antebellum, Complex Terms and Faust are my favourite The Human Abstract songs, and I am only familiar with Digital Veil. I tried sometimes the first two albums but I did not like them much, and from the review of Evermind it seems there's nothing much special apart A Violent Strike.

Yesterday I relistened the Faith No More compilation and I prefer the second half, I could have done without one of the songs from The Real Thing and put something else (Ashes To Ashes, Evidence, Superhero were the songs I cut at last). But the 10 songs I sent are still enough to let you see if you like the band or not and if you want to check out more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh well, can't win them all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I really enjoyed the guitar work though. I've got a few riffs that are stuck in my head as well as "Abigail, I know you're in control of her brain, Abigail" line which is really catchy too. I think the overall style just wasn't quite my thing, but it certainly was a well-written bunch of songs.

• DTF.org Member
Antebellum, Complex Terms and Faust are my favourite The Human Abstract songs, and I am only familiar with Digital Veil. I tried sometimes the first two albums but I did not like them much, and from the review of Evermind it seems there's nothing much special apart A Violent Strike.
I almost put Faust on the album instead of Breathing Life in Devices. I was also considering Harbinger and Crossing the Rubicon. I have a feeling any one of those songs would have done better.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I really enjoyed the guitar work though. I've got a few riffs that are stuck in my head as well as "Abigail, I know you're in control of her brain, Abigail" line which is really catchy too. I think the overall style just wasn't quite my thing, but it certainly was a well-written bunch of songs.

Andy Laroque is an amazing guitarist. He's been right along side KD for his entire KD solo career. Whether or not you like KD vocally, musically, the albums are undeniable. Laroque is by far the most underrated guitarist in metal, and has been for some time.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:14:25 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Andy Laroque is an amazing guitarist. He's been right along side KD for his entire KD solo career. Whether or not you like KD vocally, musically, the albums are undeniable. Laroque is by far the most underrated guitarist in metal, and has been for some time.

Yes sir.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't really argue with that!

Second batch of impressions and also second batch of results are coming up tomorrow! One matchup is a real pain in the ass because both compilations are extremely good, I think I'll that save one for the last.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Having finished doing the impressions for the rest of the compilations, I realized they could spoil the last two matchup results, so instead of redoing it, I'll just go with the compilation ranking so far:

5. The Human Abstract
7. King Diamond

The second matchup results are coming in two or three hours.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Dang, puppies got lucky  :corn
Gonna laugh if one of the matchups was #1 and #2
At the same time situations like that are exactly why I'll never ever do tournament style eliminations

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Indiscipline: Billy Joel

Positive: I love a lot of acoustic stuff, and I won’t lie, this compilation has a few songs that tickle that sweet spot.

Negative: I think my problem with this is that I’m not into happy music—even if the music only sounds happy while the lyrical message is bitter. Give me minor chords over the major ones most of my days. And this compilation has a lot of happy sounding songs.

Well, first things first—I enjoyed this to a certain extent. This compilation feels like a gamble. Acoustic stuff could be a hit or miss with me, and this one was certainly more of a miss because of the happy vibe a lot of these songs had, but if that’s one of your favourite songwriters in the world, it makes total sense to send this. But even the upbeat stuff wasn’t unenjoyable.

However, not counting two or three songs I really liked, the rest of this was just passable, or dare I say it, a bit predictable and not at all that interesting. Sometimes it felt like happy Jethro Tull with no flute and no electric guitars, and sometimes it felt like its own thing, yet also not quite engaging.

I don’t know a lot about Billy Joel or his discography, but I assume you aimed for a variety here, trying to showcase his different sides while focusing on his hits—which is a proper and admirable approach to building a greatest hits compilation. But I just can’t help but think that if you included more songs written in minor chords, you might’ve been more successful in this round. I’m still curious about this man’s work—maybe PM me some recommendations that are closer to the three songs I liked?

Favourite songs: Vienna, The Downeaster Alexa, Goodnight Saigon

This song represents the aspect of your compilation I’d really love to explore more: I love the slower pace and the wistful mood. This might not even be the best song from your submission, but it’s a beauty and wonder captured in those few minutes. Somehow, this really connected with me.

Man, Vienna is something—I stand by what I wrote up there, that’s a fantastic song. The Downeaster Alexa (play despacito) is a song I didn’t really expect much of, but I loved the vocal melody here. Simple yet very effective. Goodnight Saigon is a bit on a longer side, but the song is just infectious—I can picture people singing it along. These three songs are really good.

Least favourite song: Zanzibar

This song is… just there, and then it gets to the chorus which is where I begin to wish it didn’t exist. And it’s also over five damn minutes. If you take into account that a lot of songs from your compilation are at least enough to make an impression—even if it’s not a positive one—I just wish you didn’t include this one.

I thought that The Entertainer and Angry Young Man were underwhelming enough for your compilation, and then when I thought it was getting good with Vienna, this song came next. That made it even more painful. And hey, this isn’t a bad song—there are no bad songs on this compilation—it’s just not exactly my thing, and I can’t really stand this chorus.

TAC: Silent Voices

Positive: no impression initially / The strong songs here are really doing a great job elevating this compilation beyond the mediocre level some of the songs establish.

Negative: no impression initially / For the compilation that doesn’t have a lot of songs, having even one song that fails to catch the listener’s interest might be perilous, and you have one and a half, or maybe even two.

This is a solid progressive metal compilation. In fact, I realized I’m familiar with this band—well, I’ve heard of them because I constantly saw one of their albums on sale in Sonata Arctica official shop, small wonder, that—but I’ve never heard anything from them.

This is basically progressive metal by numbers, and a lot of the material here isn’t even that impressive. There’s a lot of middle-of-the-road stuff—safe riffs, safe vocal melodies and safe vocal ranges—then there are some incredibly weird and bad decisions, like distant vocals in the chorus of Fate Divided—and then there are some gems like the awesome Burning Shine, which is definitely in my Top 3 songs of this round. The difference in quality isn’t that obvious, compared to The Human Abstract compilation, but it’s there, and honestly it’s a bit underwhelming jumping from an amazing song to a song that can’t do a proper chorus.

Another problem here is that the songs are a bit too long for their own good—like the band had a few ideas and decided to draw them out to increase the length of their material to fill out the whole album. Fate Divided and World’s End are especially guilty of that, Avalon gets a pass, and I guess it’s telling that my favourite songs here are the two shortest ones. This compilation could’ve been a few minutes shorter and probably more enjoyable that way. Still, this was good enough.

Favourite songs: Burning Shine, Reign of Terror

no impression initially / Sometimes simple is the best—is this the same vocalist that did the first song?—and this is a great example of that. Short, sweet, to the point, just a great rocking number.

Burning Shine is such a highlight of your compilation, I literally couldn’t wait for it to come up again when I was listening to it. I think I even listened to this song like four times in a row once. It’s catchy and it’s that good. Yes, nothing new, yes, simple as they do it, but there’s something there that just made me to go back to it every time. Awesome tune.

Least favourite song: Fate Divided

no impression initially / What the hell were they thinking with this chorus? Not a fan of a spoken word section either, and I usually like those.

Definitely the least impressive song here, and since it takes the whooping nine minutes of the compilation, it could’ve dragged the whole thing even further down, but fortunately the rest of the material was good enough to salvage this.

Conclusion:

I’m afraid this wasn’t too difficult of a decision, because I guess my pre-disposition towards progressive metal is still there, and while I really liked some of Billy Joel’s material, the metal here definitely took over. I have discovered some of the awesome acoustic projects in my previous roulettes, so I don’t think this is it—I just, at the risk of repeating myself, think that a lot of Billy Joel’s songs were just a bit too upbeat for my taste. Silent Voices, on the other hand, had those epic choruses (except one) and dramatic sound, and I just couldn’t resist. Tim, you’re in; Alex, you’re out—but I’m still going to check out Billy Joel further, perhaps with your suggestions, if you’re willing.

Winner: TAC

Indiscipline, it’s truly been an honor to host a roulette with you participating. I’m looking forward to exploring some of the artists you sent me—Starsailor and The Windmill immediately come to mind, and I also think you did the unthinkable: I may actually have to check out Skid Row after that 18 and Life song which is still playing in my head as I’m writing this out! You had some misses, mostly because you tried to stick to the themes I set—for example, I won’t check out Cynic further—but overall I feel like you did a lot better in my roulette than I did in yours, except that Glen Hansard song. I’m not sure I’m going to do a ranking of your songs now, as I still didn’t do one for Kade, but I may revisit that after the roulette is over. Thanks for playing!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's the updated ranking too:

4. Silent Voices
5. The Human Abstract
6. Billy Joel
7. King Diamond

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. I have lost the path (Round 8 Results Pt. 2)
« Reply #1247 on: April 16, 2019, 12:46:32 PM »
Well at the very least one of the rounds has two of the top three for sure now, ouch  :lol

Also I think it's a safe bet at this point that #8 is Faith No More, just because I wouldn't expect them to be a top 3 artist for ev here

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: April 16, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »
I think I'll offer the guy who loses while still being in the Top 3 for this round to compete with your EP, and then we'll see. If he wins, he goes to the Finals, but he has to win all three matchups there to win the whole thing.

I'm still kind of toying with this idea though. All the compilations in the Top 3 are pretty good.

Also I think it's a safe bet at this point that #8 is Faith No More, just because I wouldn't expect them to be a top 3 artist for ev here

I wouldn't say that at all, but think as you wish.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1249 on: April 16, 2019, 12:54:43 PM »
Hell yeah I'm ready to crush the dreams of whoever didn't make the cut (Last Place in the EP Round)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1250 on: April 16, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
I have a bad feeling about what's coming next.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1251 on: April 16, 2019, 01:28:17 PM »
Well at the very least one of the rounds has two of the top three for sure now, ouch  :lol

I hoped not to see this partial ranking, I have the same feeling too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1252 on: April 16, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
Hmm... so someone is about to be eliminated with the 3rd best entry.

Have to get started on an EP now.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1253 on: April 16, 2019, 01:42:35 PM »
Technically the 2nd best could still be eliminated! 1st vs 2nd and 3rd vs 8th!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1254 on: April 16, 2019, 01:44:46 PM »
Ooh that’s right too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: April 16, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »
Fucking Billy Joel ranks higher than King Diamond? Fuck me.  That's tastes for you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1256 on: April 16, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
Hey, you didn't finish dead last at least  :metal
I'm technically the last place finisher of the entire roulette thinking about it, hell yeah

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1257 on: April 16, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
I think Chad should do alright with Hemina.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1258 on: April 16, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »
I think Chad should do alright with Hemina.

I'd like to think that too, but no chickens will be counted until the hatching. For once, I hope Parama is right.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1259 on: April 16, 2019, 05:48:39 PM »
I think Ev will like primordial quite a bit unless he really hates the vocals
Dunno Hemina at all so I can't comment there
Ghost Brigade I'm not super familiar with but I'd be surprised if they were 8th place too