Author Topic: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Final Round Results  (Read 69698 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Two souls hovering (Round 8 Results Pt. 3)
« Reply #1295 on: April 18, 2019, 10:39:53 PM »
Well, I've started on the write up for the EP and I'm at two pages so far and not even half way done...... feel free to  :\

:biggrin:

By the way, it's going to be pretentious and ridiculous. Just how you like it, judging by the write ups you send me for EP's...

I mean, I expect no less from you.  :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1296 on: April 18, 2019, 10:50:37 PM »
the writeup he sent for his concept album in my roulette was only 2 pages long :getoffmylawn:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1297 on: April 18, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
the writeup he sent for his concept album in my roulette was only 2 pages long :getoffmylawn:
I sent the cliff notes version :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: April 21, 2019, 03:07:51 AM »
Alright, I'm back. I'm fairly sure I know the winner, but I'll take one last listen to both compilations today and then write the results. My plan for the day is also to continue watching True Detective S3 (I'm at the second episode at the moment), so expect results at any time in the next eight hours.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1299 on: April 21, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »
 :corn
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1300 on: April 21, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's Third Roulette v. There is no forgiveness here (Round 8 Results)
« Reply #1301 on: April 21, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »
Luoto: Ghost Brigade

This compilation was one my early favourites, and as the listening progressed, this one stayed up there this whole time. This is pretty much the music I associate you with now, a gloomy sound with the growls breaking them. This band, of all the ones you sent me, is quite Opeth/Katatonia-like in a sound department, with a lot of great quiet parts and the trademark wall of sound in the chorus, with the lead guitar in front of it.

Despite my exposure to growls and overall acceptance of that type of music over the years, I would still say this band shines the most during the quiet sections, and the highlights from this compilation for me are mostly the non-growly ones, with one exception of “can you follow your own shadow?” chorus of My Heart is a Tomb. I like the bleak moments here the most: the beginning of Disembodied Voices is probably my favourite moment on this compilation, with the climactic “hope will conquer all” ending. My second favourite thing is how they’re using the lead guitars, there are some fantastic leads here and there, with great melodies.

I would say my least favourite thing about this is that sometimes the non-growly vocal melodies are written in an unexpected way, and whenever that happens, this throws me off. I don’t even know how to say it, and “an unexpected way” doesn’t do it justice. Sometimes they’re just droning, like on Clawmaster, and sometimes they’re a bit too cold and distant, like on Anchored. The growls here are on point, and the good parts with the clean vocals are also on point, and the guitar lines here are fantastic. Overall, this is a really strong compilation, and this band’s music is something I will surely come back to, once the roulette is over.

Favourite songs: Disembodied Voices, Into the Black Wight, My Heart is a Tomb

Least favourite song: Clawmaster

senecadawg2: Primordial

I wonder for how long you’ve been saving this band, because unlike a lot of the music you sent me in this roulette, this is actually fantastic. Not saying you didn’t send anything else that resonated with me: The Protomen song was extremely good, and I also liked Phoebe Bridgers, but this is just on an entirely another level, or at least some of the songs are. I guess you really saved the best stuff for when it counts, like you saved Agalloch for me last time; and the best thing is that this time it actually might get you the victory—if you’re able to pull this off two more times.

This is not too dissimilar from Ghost Brigade on the first glance, but the two compilations are actually quite different, as Primordial has that sound I’ve never encountered before—the music is fairly standard death (black? still don’t know) metal, but the vocals here are unique. And I think it’s the vocals that make this compilation so good. They’re unexpectedly epic and just rough enough to fit the music, and my favourite song here in particular, Gallows Hymn, just feels like the singer is standing on a cliff screaming the lines into the wind. This song is fighting with Soulmates from Hemina for my favourite song of the round. “I never was a religious man, so why should I put my faith in you?” line delivery is just so perfect. I love that song.

And while we’re at it, this compilation is ridiculously strong during the first three songs. The run from Empire Falls to Where Greater Men Have Fallen is incredible, and if this level of quality was upheld during the whole thing, the choice of winner here would’ve been an extremely easy one, but as the quality of the material drops just a bit with The Mouth of Judas and onwards, this wasn’t as easy as I thought. Also, while I like the lyrics on most of the songs, sometimes they definitely push the boundaries of what I would call “acceptable”, for example, the “Ah, the stench of your slaughtered kin / Breathe it / Breathe it deep / The rancid stench” is one line that I could’ve lived without, because ew. Although I suppose if you’re a incestuous necrophile, that’s kinky. What was I talking about?

You weren’t wrong, though. I love this, I love this a lot. I think what really gets to me with this band is the unique vocals they’re doing here. I’m sure now that I said this, you guys will name a lot of bands that are doing the same shit, but the point stands: the way this band creates the atmosphere is unrivaled by any other compilation I was sent this time. It took me two weeks to make a decision, but now I’m sure: this is the best thing that I’ve got in this round.

Favourite songs: Gallows Hymn, Empire Falls, Where Greater Men Have Fallen, Gods to the Godless

Least favourite song: The Mouth of Judas

Conclusion:

Fuck you guys like Tim wants to fuck Bob Dylan, because while I was aware this is a possibility, I really didn’t think that I’ll end up with a matchup where both participants would send a freaking fantastic compilations to me. It’s really unfair to eliminate one of you with what you sent, while other folks were eliminated with Faith No More and King Diamond—which aren’t bad at all, but absolutely didn’t live up to the level of quality these both compilations have reached, but that’s the format I’ve chosen. However, as I said, I’m making an exception here on the fly, because these two compilations are just too good. The person who loses this—and as much as it pains me to say it, it’s you, Luoto, because I enjoyed Primordial way too much—will face Parama in the losers bracket and then will have a stab at the finals, where you will have to win all three rounds of the best of three to win the whole thing.

Honestly, I thought it would’ve been pretty easy for you, Luoto, to get into the next round, but apparently I—once again—underestimated Nelson, who made it to the main competition via his immunity, then barely scraped through the tiebreaker, then proceeded to slaughter his competition in this very round with Primordial. Well done, Seneca. Against all odds, you proceed to the semi-finals, and if you keep the quality of your submissions on this level, I don’t see how anyone will be able to stop you. Also fuck me the Gallows Hymn is so good.

Winner: senecadawg2

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's Third Roulette v. There is no forgiveness here (Round 8 Results)
« Reply #1302 on: April 21, 2019, 10:58:33 AM »
Round 9: EP Round

While the previous round wasn't scored, this one will be.

Round 9, aka EP Round, requires each one of 4 remaining participants to make an EP for me. You have to use at least three different artists, and each one should at least feature one full “song” (intros and outros doesn’t count). The minimum length is 30 minutes, the length limit is 40 minutes, as it seems to be standard now. Each EP will be scored out of 20. The flow matters greatly here and will be scored separately out of 5. Stealing this mechanic from Puppies and adapting it for the elimination system, the best EP name from each pair of contestants will earn you an additional 1 point (could be just how the name rolls off the tongue or if it’s tied to some story—in other words, it’s simply the matter which one I’ll like more).

While this is a daunting task, you had a lot of time to prepare for this: please send your EP in the next 48 hours.

The ranking for the last round is, obviously:

1. Primordial
2. Ghost Brigade
3. Hemina
4. Silent Voices
5. The Human Abstract
6. Billy Joel
7. King Diamond
8. Faith No More

The matchups are:

senecadawg2 vs Puppies_On_Acid
jingle.boy vs TAC

A battle at the gates leading to the Final Round:

Luoto vs the guardian of the gates, Parama
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:05:59 AM by Evermind »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
GUARDIAN OF THE GATES :lol

primordial is a band i wish i liked more than they do, i have one of their albums (the one gallows hymn is on) and it's pretty cool but a lot of their stuff sounds kinda samey to me so i've never gotten another one
not at all surprised you liked them so much though

anyways luoto my EP's totally crap so this is free for you anyways

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

• DTF.org Member
I cant believe after Enslaved got taken away from me for the Greatest Hits round I didn't think to send Primordial.... :facepalm:

Great band!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ruslan, I’ll get it to you tonight!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
While this is a daunting task, you had a lot of time to prepare for this: please send your EP in the next 48 hours.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find as much time for this as I'd like so far because life happened, but I'll do my best. Since I lost the playoff I'll see if I want to change my strategy a little.

Congrats to Nelson! I knew it's gonna be tight because Primordial are a decent band.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find as much time for this as I'd like so far because life happened, but I'll do my best. Since I lost the playoff I'll see if I want to change my strategy a little.

Congrats to Nelson! I knew it's gonna be tight because Primordial are a decent band.

I'm so sorry man, Ghost Brigade was extremely good but Primordial were just on another level. Add the fact that you were doing fantastic during the whole roulette, this makes it even more unfair.

Don't rush the EP, if yours isn't in before the deadline, I'll just start listening to the other matchups first. Take your time, you earned it.

Offline senecadawg2

Glad you enjoyed Primordial  :tup :tup And while I'm not sure it's my favorite of the tracks on there (indeed I have no idea which is my favorite), Gallows Hymn is wonderful. Ridiculously epic song with ridiculously epic delivery. Sadly, I'm not sure I can top this submission  :lol

I hadn't heard of Ghost Brigade until this round, but I've been listening a bit and wow that sounds perfect for Ruslan. What a great choice—I wouldn't have been surprised at all if you'd won with that. I'm glad you're still in it though; it would be unfortunate to get knocked out after earning the top seed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Officially sent!

I'm sure J-Boy will be tough competition. He seems to have a good idea of what Evermind likes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah, cheesy prog/power metal  :P

Offline senecadawg2

SENT

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
UPDATED MY BANNED LIST

I'm fact I didn't need to, the band was already there :lol Finally it's not my fault that something is banned.

• DTF.org Member
UPDATED MY BANNED LIST

I'm fact I didn't need to, the band was already there :lol Finally it's not my fault that something is banned.
I still don't see Dark Tranquillity on there..... :yeahright
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
what banned band?  :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
UPDATED MY BANNED LIST

I still don't see Dark Tranquillity on there..... :yeahright

I was sure I added it.

what banned band?  :corn

Falls of Rauros

Offline senecadawg2

Resent. Hopefully to better effect.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
You're good, waiting on Luoto now and then the festivities will begin.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
the gatekept hangman

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Sent
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, but I'm in the beginning of True Detective's S3E4 and I'm off to sleep afterwards, so one more day until the hangman.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
 :sadpanda:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's Third Roulette v. While air grows thin (Round 9 Hangman Part 1)
« Reply #1323 on: April 24, 2019, 09:50:17 AM »
Let's hang some men! Six EP titles and 39 songs total, broken into two parts. I omitted all the punctuation marks and whatnot to try and avoid giving away some of the songs from the very start.

Round 9 Hangman Pt. 1/2

EP titles:

___ _______ ________
_______u_ ________
___ ____d__ __d ___ ______u___

Songs:

______ __ ___ ______ ____ - ___ __d ____ ___ ____ U_
________ - _______ __ D________d __________
__d____d_ - _________
____u_ ______u_ - __u_ __u_____
________ - U___u___d _____
____u_ ____d_ - __d ____
____ ___d__ - _ ____ __ _______
D_________ - ____________
______ ______ - ______ ______ _ __
_________ - _______u_____ __ _ _______ __ _______
_____d __ ____u____ - ___d __ ___d_____
_____ - ____ __u ____
____ ______ - ______ D___ __ ___ __u_ __ ___
____u_ ______u_ - _u___
_u________ - __u_d _ ___ __ __u
D_________ - D____ __u__
D____ ___ ___ _u___ - _________ ____
_________ - _______u_____ __ _ _ ____ __ ______________
_______ ______ - ______ ___u__ ____

Letters guessed: DU

Parama waits 2
Puppies waits 3
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:47:48 AM by Evermind »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. While air grows thin (Round 9 Hangman Part 1)
« Reply #1324 on: April 24, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
D-man

Dreamgrave - Presentiment? :P
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:59:17 AM by Parama »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: April 24, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
Curiously no, although I double-checked and it's the exact same amount of letters.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1326 on: April 24, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »
Yeah, I checked that too  :P
Ahh well. No clue on any of the rest except for mine so

On that subject I suspect you'd probably like that dreamgrave album a fair bit though, it's kinda growly but beyond that no heavier than most prog metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: April 24, 2019, 10:14:40 AM »
Maybe, but I'm not checking it before the roulette is over, maybe someone will send it in the finals.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1328 on: April 24, 2019, 10:21:57 AM »
I hope someone does  :metal
Anyways I'm just waiting for someone else to guess a letter cause I got nothing  :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1329 on: April 24, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
U
aka Puppies_On_Acid