Author Topic: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Final Round Results  (Read 69877 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. I have lost the path (Round 8 Results Pt. 2)
« Reply #1260 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »
Alright, alright, you guessed correctly, folks. No sense in drawing this out.

jingle.boy: Hemina

Positive: These guys know how to write the rhythm guitar parts. The whole compilation kept me interested as I was following the guitar lines. It’s honestly impressive, as I’m not even a guitar player—well, I dabble in acoustic guitar, but that’s irrelevant here—my attention was constantly on that. Also the vocals were nice for a change.

Negative: The whole compilation suffers from a few songs that are just, well, there. I’m not sure if it will change with more listens, but some of the songs are just either too safe, or too unmemorable to make any lasting impression.

The negative impression definitely didn’t stand the test of time—I think the only song I don’t really remember is Fantasy, and mostly because it’s sandwiched between Venus and Soulmates. This compilation was honestly the biggest grower of them all—I think this was either the first or the second compilation I listened to, and I was quite underwhelmed. In fact, after the first listen, I ranked it below Silent Voices and The Human Abstract. It took me a bit of time to get acquainted with the song structures and melodies, and it turned out this was one of those “better every loop” things.

I really like the light yet punchy production, and the singer here, while he lacks grit in his voice, he’s a perfect fit for the music—also he belts out some fine high notes here and there. The keyboards are very Ayreon-like. There are some good guitar solos included, and once again I’d like to praise the rhythm guitars, I like how well-written these sections are.

The variety here is pretty good, too. You included a few regular tracks, a minor epic, a heavier track and an acoustic one. All together it made for a great compilation. While it might have finished only at the third place in this round, I would say the Top 3 in this round were way better than the rest. So well, thanks for this, I’m going to explore this band further—this was a very good effort.

Favourite songs: Soulmates, Nightlives, Venus, With What I See

Honestly, I think yours might be the best ending song out of all compilations. It hits just the right amount of sweetness and musicianship to nail the mood it’s going for. I love this.

Absolutely the best closer, and honestly, one of the best songs of the round. It doesn’t have anything special or spectacular, it’s just as I said, very sweet and hits that perfect spot between honesty and cheesiness (the lyrics are a bit on a cheesy side—tell that to my wiiiiife!—and the music is on the honest side). Love how the female and male vocals here work together. Love the chorus, love the harmonies there, and I love it’s climactic conclusion. Hell, this is probably the best song of the round, because it goes against the bleak and sad songs I usually prefer. This is touching and uplifting at the same time, and it works wonderfully.

Least favourite song: For All Wrong Reasons

Not only this uses one of the most boring templates for a song—repeat the same parts over and over with increased intensity—but it also manages to use quite a dull vocal melody which is honestly a bit annoying as far as I’m concerned. This song sticks out like a sore thumb on otherwise quite polished—even though not quite that impressive so far—compilation.

I feel that this is intended more as a transitional piece than a real song. I like the buildup, but the melodies, the lyrics and the general slow pace of the vocal passages doesn’t work for me at all, and this is the only song I don’t like on this compilation. I’m not big on Fantasy, and Moonlight Bride is alright, and I love everything else—but this one is a bit of a miss. Good thing the rest of the material is very strong, though.

LordCost: Faith No More

Positive: no impression initially / This compilation takes its sweet time to get good, but as I get past the initial disappointment, there are some good tracks there in the second half.

Negative: no impression initially / As I’m said, I’m probably not a very open-minded guy. After the third track this compilation turned into a “will I want to skip this track or not?”, and I can’t skip tracks because how am I to judge this compilation then?

This compilation was the most frustrating one along with King Diamond, because there is potential there, but the direction they’re taking is just not for me. I liked some of the songs here, I could tolerate some of the other songs, I flat out wanted to skip a few of those. Let’s do this in order, maybe.

The first three songs suffer from the weak vocals, even though it’s not as noticeable on Surprise! You’re Dead!; From Out of Nowhere was just an underwhelming opener, while Epic had me reaching for the skip button, and I don’t think the rapping vocal technique is the main reason here—I equally disliked the rest of the song, too. Some of the instrumental parts were fine, but that’s it.

Land of Sunshine and Caffeine were tolerable—I actually kinda liked Caffeine more than Land—and then you correctly guessed it, came the absolute disaster of a song. And I thought the weirdest song of the round would be from The Human Abstract compilation!

The only saving grace of this compilation is the run of songs from Matador till the end. While I can’t say I like everything on these four songs, at least they feature tolerable vocals and melodies, and while the song structures are still a bit of a mess, they’re doing quite better than Cuckoo for Caca. I may revisit them a bit later, I especially like Matador, King for a Day and Stripsearch.

I mean, this was a gamble, sending this to me. I absolutely support and respect the decisions to send me your favourite artists instead of what you think I may like, and sometimes it leads to some curious discoveries. This time it leads to your elimination, though.

Favourite songs: Matador, King for a Day

Least favourite song: Cuckoo for Caca

Conclusion:

I really tried to like the Faith No More compilation, but as things stood, three listens in I knew it won’t be able to beat Hemina. As I became more familiar with the rest of the material in this round, I realized it won’t be able to beat any compilation at all here. I’m sorry, LordCost, this was a bold move, but it didn’t pay off. Chad, welcome to the semi-finals! As I said, your compilation was pretty great.

Winner: jingle.boy

LordCost, I definitely didn’t know what to expect from you, but it turns out—like most of the notable DTF peers—you have a rich collection of music some of which is quite up my alley—Rishloo, Celesty, The Ocean and Aereogramme are definitely getting a spin from me! I’m also glad you decided to stick to your guns and sent me the stuff like Cardiacs and Faith No More—that made it even more interesting! Thank you for playing and I hope you also had fun sending me all these tunes.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's the updated ranking too:

3. Hemina
4. Silent Voices
5. The Human Abstract
6. Billy Joel
7. King Diamond
8. Faith No More

I can't believe the two best compilations came from the same matchup, too. :lol The best thing is, Luoto and Nelson, I still don't know which one of you will win. I'll keep listening and either post the results tomorrow or on Sunday—I'll be away on both Friday and Saturday. If you have time, better begin preparing your EPs in any case.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Two souls hovering (Round 8 Results Pt. 3)
« Reply #1262 on: April 17, 2019, 11:40:02 AM »
Repeat after me, "this is why we don't do tournament-style eliminations"  :P

I look forward to either Seneca or Luoto crushing my EP though  :metal genuinely have no clue what ev will think of it so it's basically a freebie for you

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1263 on: April 17, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
:fistpump:

I'll give a proper response shortly - I'm about to jump on a call for work in 2 minutes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: April 17, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »
Man, that's rough for Faith No More, great band, although I would have sent a lot of different songs.

Digging the Grave
Evidence
Ashes to Ashes
Gentle Art of Making Enemies

Would have gone for more later-mid stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1265 on: April 17, 2019, 10:26:03 PM »
Sweet. Im glad youve enjoyed Primordial :)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1266 on: April 18, 2019, 12:29:41 AM »
Man, that's rough for Faith No More, great band, although I would have sent a lot of different songs.

Digging the Grave
Evidence
Ashes to Ashes

Yeah, obviously it's not my choice to make and tastes are different, but Cuckoo For Caca is a really risky choice.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Indiscipline, it’s truly been an honor to host a roulette with you participating. I’m looking forward to exploring some of the artists you sent me—Starsailor and The Windmill immediately come to mind, and I also think you did the unthinkable: I may actually have to check out Skid Row after that 18 and Life song which is still playing in my head as I’m writing this out! You had some misses, mostly because you tried to stick to the themes I set—for example, I won’t check out Cynic further—but overall I feel like you did a lot better in my roulette than I did in yours, except that Glen Hansard song. I’m not sure I’m going to do a ranking of your songs now, as I still didn’t do one for Kade, but I may revisit that after the roulette is over. Thanks for playing!

The honour is mine, brat, and it's been all kinds of themed fun. If major chords and happy melodies are a bit of a turn off for you, further exploration of Billy's works might prove a bumpy ride, but there are gems and spots of genius you could like, and muiscianship and lyrics are always overall brilliant, so expect a discography dissection PM in the future*

I'm glad Tim didn't lose to Billy Joel, it would have been scarring :D

*"In the future" being extremely relative, because you know I have a kind of Desmond Hume relation with time**

** Chad, please get this reference,  :D

Thanks for having me and good luck everybody!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: April 18, 2019, 04:50:29 AM »
Glad to have slipped in there, and not gone against the #1 or #2 guys.  Damn, that's rough on #2... but dem's the breaks.

I had a feeling that 'impression' about the last song was for Soulmates.  Don't know if they still are a couple, but they were when they sung on that album - which is about a journey from apathy and meaningless, to love and fullness of joy.  Check out all three albums, they're top notch (imo).

Got my EP all dolled up and ready for a night on the town.  Just don't slut-shame her, ok?

@ Alex... sorry mate, I never watched Lost either.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: April 18, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »
Sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The honour is mine, brat, and it's been all kinds of themed fun.

You're welcome, asshole. :neverusethis: I just actually find it funny that "brother" translates to Russian as a "brat".

I had a feeling that 'impression' about the last song was for Soulmates.  Don't know if they still are a couple, but they were when they sung on that album - which is about a journey from apathy and meaningless, to love and fullness of joy.  Check out all three albums, they're top notch (imo).

I sure will!

I don't think I will be able to post the final results today, guys, and I won't be here the next two days, so the results will be coming up Sunday. However, just because these two compilations are both awesome, as I said, whoever loses the last match will face Parama in the losers bracket, and if you win against Parama, you will have a stab at the final round with severe disadvantage (as in you'll have to win all three album-matches to actually win).

So with that in mind, Tim, Puppies, Nelson and Luoto: please take this short break to prepare and polish your EPs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: April 18, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
Since I finished 3rd, does that mean I'm going against Tim this round?

#1 vs #5 (Puppies)
#3 (me) vs #4 (Tim)

Or are you sticking with the rankings from the main rounds?  In which case, I don't know who's up against who.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: April 18, 2019, 10:47:11 AM »
Since I finished 3rd, does that mean I'm going against Tim this round?

#1 vs #5 (Puppies)
#3 (me) vs #4 (Tim)

This is correct, yes. You're against Tim. The battle we all have been waiting for.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1273 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:47 AM »
I kinda feel bad and wanna replace my serious attempt EP with a meme paramacore EP now

I've never been a roulette mechanic before!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: April 18, 2019, 11:06:15 AM »
I'm really excited about it though, even though it's not a good taste to change the rules this late in the game, I think it's kinda reasonable.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1275 on: April 18, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
I mean I don't mind because it forces you to take my EP seriously  :corn

But also I feel bad because in my roulette the top 2 would both be getting through easy, since tournament rules are not my preference :P

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
So with that in mind, Tim, Puppies, Nelson and Luoto: please take this short break to prepare and polish your EPs.

Are song files the way to go or are you still willing to make streaming playlists, if it doesn't compromise flow?
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: April 18, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »
One file or a batch of files is preferred, but streaming playlist would be fine if you don't need to edit anything out. That being said, I'll probably attempt to make a streaming playlist on Yandex.Music before trying any other streaming platform.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1278 on: April 18, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
One file cut to be exactly 40 minutes down to the millisecond, anything else and you lose instantly :neverusethis:

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1279 on: April 18, 2019, 12:29:42 PM »
One file or a batch of files is preferred, but streaming playlist would be fine if you don't need to edit anything out. That being said, I'll probably attempt to make a streaming playlist on Yandex.Music before trying any other streaming platform.

I'll probably set up EP's for both options, but there will be at least one artist on my preferred version I may not be able to get files for.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1280 on: April 18, 2019, 12:30:53 PM »
YouTube downloaders are powerful when you rreeeally need a song
Tbh like three songs on the EP I sent are off albums I don't own  :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

You'll have mine within the next 8 or 9 hours.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1282 on: April 18, 2019, 02:35:28 PM »

I don't have all the files I want to send so I'm figuring out Yandex right now. I should have the EP done by the end of the day, hopefully.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1283 on: April 18, 2019, 03:36:30 PM »

Digging the Grave
Evidence
Ashes to Ashes

Yeah, obviously it's not my choice to make and tastes are different, but Cuckoo For Caca is a really risky choice.
For sure it's risky, but it was cool to sent it. Never heard something similar in all these years, still a unique song. It's still a metal track so there were chances that Ev could have enjoyed that, but it's not the style of metal he likes.

I did not have much left to send for EP's and albums, so I don't mind much to go out after this round, I feel I have done my work. It was fun to relisten FNM albums after many years and try to come up with a group of their best songs, possibly showcasing all their styles.

I discovered that King For A Day is still by far my favourite albums by them. It was the first album I ever bought in my life too. I could have chosen even 6 songs from that album, but I imposed myself to choose 3 at max for each album. I would have liked to send the 4 songs wolfking said too, Evidence and Ashes to Ashes didn't make the cut at last.

It's funny you mention Aereogramme that didn't get past the 6 mark, try to start from the songs I told you in this thread to see which album you may try first.  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1284 on: April 18, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
Well, I've started on the write up for the EP and I'm at two pages so far and not even half way done...... feel free to  :\

:biggrin:

By the way, it's going to be pretentious and ridiculous. Just how you like it, judging by the write ups you send me for EP's...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1285 on: April 18, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »
my EP had no writeup and a meme title
i basically just let ev know what he was in for and nothing else. a lot of really good stuff on it that i dunno if he'll like at all  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1286 on: April 18, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »
I attempted tailoring my EP to his tastes.......we shall see how that goes. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1287 on: April 18, 2019, 08:26:19 PM »
Well, I've started on the write up for the EP and I'm at two pages so far and not even half way done...... feel free to  :\

:biggrin:

By the way, it's going to be pretentious and ridiculous. Just how you like it, judging by the write ups you send me for EP's...

I'm going to need you in my next roulette.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1288 on: April 18, 2019, 08:27:40 PM »
I'm still working on mine. I think I have the main songs chosen. Just have to order them properly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1289 on: April 18, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
seneca i'm super ready for your next roulette  :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1290 on: April 18, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »
I'm going to let you choose the themes  ;)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1291 on: April 18, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
That should be interesting
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1292 on: April 18, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
Round 1:
Cotard and Agitation

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1293 on: April 18, 2019, 09:04:05 PM »
Round 1:
Cotard and Agitation
So it's going to be a Hirsch Effekt themed roulette eh?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1294 on: April 18, 2019, 10:26:15 PM »
Sent!  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid