Author Topic: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: That's all she wrote folks - another happy ending  (Read 101643 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: jingle.boy's fourth roulette: Round 4 - eye-test time!
« Reply #1050 on: August 27, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
I'll let him know that then.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1051 on: August 27, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »
If you just never play to win, like me, doing badly will not affect your enjoyment at all. :biggrin: Every round is a new chance to introduce the host to something they may never have even heard of, I think that's a great concept in itself.
   So I opt for an alternate strategy that sometimes works (Kattleox) and most often doesn't, i.e. taking things we already THINK we know, and re-purposing them.   I am seriously considering submitting my future offerings scrubbed of band and album information (and I am seriously considering having an "anonymous" round when I have my next roulette).   There's a bias here against things that "sell" for some reason, and I don't really understand it.   For me, I think it's part of - not all, but part of - the magic when an artist can write something with the best of intentions, and have that work emotionally touch millions of people.
This is why I seriously hope you play in my next roulette. I would definitely like someone who takes a very different approach to most here regarding what they send. I look at the bands that you send and most of them I have heard of, but never listened to. All of the rounds on my next roulette one will be open (no themes, apart from some additional rules applied to a few rounds) if that matters to you.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1052 on: August 27, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
If you just never play to win, like me, doing badly will not affect your enjoyment at all. :biggrin: Every round is a new chance to introduce the host to something they may never have even heard of, I think that's a great concept in itself.

Well, "playing to win" and "quitting like a baby when you don't" aren't the same things.  I play to win (even if it doesn't seem like it) but I also have a different pool of music to pull from.  The people running the roulettes around here - for the most part - seem to like a certain genre that I am just not versed in.   So I opt for an alternate strategy that sometimes works (Kattleox) and most often doesn't, i.e. taking things we already THINK we know, and re-purposing them.   I am seriously considering submitting my future offerings scrubbed of band and album information (and I am seriously considering having an "anonymous" round when I have my next roulette).   There's a bias here against things that "sell" for some reason, and I don't really understand it.   For me, I think it's part of - not all, but part of - the magic when an artist can write something with the best of intentions, and have that work emotionally touch millions of people.

Stadler - for what it's worth, how much it sells has nothing to do with the scoring in my roulette, even though it might seem that way.  I love Rush, and they sold quite well.  I also like Pearl Jam, who sold incredibly well.  And on the flip side, I have no idea if bands like MSG or UFO were all that popular or not.  Nonetheless, I like the idea of anonymous submissions; gives it an added dimension.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1053 on: August 28, 2018, 05:57:46 AM »
Music… awesome; vocals… not quite as awesome

Kinda choppy and dysfunctional

Helluva nice vibe… pretty unique relative to any other submission this round.

... and then the vocals kicked in

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1054 on: August 28, 2018, 06:58:19 AM »
   So I opt for an alternate strategy that sometimes works (Kattleox) and most often doesn't, i.e. taking things we already THINK we know, and re-purposing them.   I am seriously considering submitting my future offerings scrubbed of band and album information (and I am seriously considering having an "anonymous" round when I have my next roulette).   There's a bias here against things that "sell" for some reason, and I don't really understand it.   For me, I think it's part of - not all, but part of - the magic when an artist can write something with the best of intentions, and have that work emotionally touch millions of people.
This is why I seriously hope you play in my next roulette. I would definitely like someone who takes a very different approach to most here regarding what they send. I look at the bands that you send and most of them I have heard of, but never listened to. All of the rounds on my next roulette one will be open (no themes, apart from some additional rules applied to a few rounds) if that matters to you.

Definitely in!  I love these things, and have a lot of fun playing them.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: August 28, 2018, 07:04:54 AM »

Well, "playing to win" and "quitting like a baby when you don't" aren't the same things.  I play to win (even if it doesn't seem like it) but I also have a different pool of music to pull from.  The people running the roulettes around here - for the most part - seem to like a certain genre that I am just not versed in.   So I opt for an alternate strategy that sometimes works (Kattleox) and most often doesn't, i.e. taking things we already THINK we know, and re-purposing them.   I am seriously considering submitting my future offerings scrubbed of band and album information (and I am seriously considering having an "anonymous" round when I have my next roulette).   There's a bias here against things that "sell" for some reason, and I don't really understand it.   For me, I think it's part of - not all, but part of - the magic when an artist can write something with the best of intentions, and have that work emotionally touch millions of people.

Stadler - for what it's worth, how much it sells has nothing to do with the scoring in my roulette, even though it might seem that way.  I love Rush, and they sold quite well.  I also like Pearl Jam, who sold incredibly well.  And on the flip side, I have no idea if bands like MSG or UFO were all that popular or not.  Nonetheless, I like the idea of anonymous submissions; gives it an added dimension.

I don't necessarily mean "sold" literally.  I had a friend that was into REM big when Murmur (their first album) came out.  Then Reckoning came out and he saw them at a little club (700 people) and was all jazzed, telling me how great they are (Murmur is an amazing record, by the way) and how Peter Buck wore an Iron Maiden shirt during the show ("Oh, and can you throw a couple songs on a cassette for me, please?") and blah blah blah.    Then they put out Fables, with their first sort of hit, and then Lifes Rich Pageant, wth "Fall On Me" and all of a sudden, they "sucked" and they were "generic" and ""it all sounded the same".   And I'm like, ok.   

I get it, taste is taste, but to be in LAST PLACE - and in two three roulettes, being the very first to leave the roulette - with albums from artists that are either legends or in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (or both)... I just find that hard to fathom.    (Not that the RnRHoF is the be all and end all, but it does show a level of success and a level of... connection.)

And this isn't meant to complain, it's meant to explain.  I have no beef with any decision or score; it is what it is, and life moves on. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1056 on: August 28, 2018, 08:36:30 AM »
Stads... one thing you learn quickly in following these is when to participate, and when not to.  It certainly is frustrating to be horribly unaligned with a hosts musical tastes over and over again.  My first 10 roulettes, I finished 1st/2nd/3rd last in seven of them.  The two people who I knew were in line with my tastes, I finished 1st and 2nd.  After that, I got more selective on when I played.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1057 on: August 28, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »
I get it, taste is taste, but to be in LAST PLACE - and in two three roulettes, being the very first to leave the roulette - with albums from artists that are either legends or in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (or both)... I just find that hard to fathom.    (Not that the RnRHoF is the be all and end all, but it does show a level of success and a level of... connection.)

And this isn't meant to complain, it's meant to explain.  I have no beef with any decision or score; it is what it is, and life moves on.

That's what happens when you enter roulettes with people who are listening to avant-neo tantric jazzprog every day and sigh when they have to listen to rock and roll  :lol Works well with me though!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1058 on: August 28, 2018, 08:59:16 AM »

I don't necessarily mean "sold" literally.  I had a friend that was into REM big when Murmur (their first album) came out.  Then Reckoning came out and he saw them at a little club (700 people) and was all jazzed, telling me how great they are (Murmur is an amazing record, by the way) and how Peter Buck wore an Iron Maiden shirt during the show ("Oh, and can you throw a couple songs on a cassette for me, please?") and blah blah blah.    Then they put out Fables, with their first sort of hit, and then Lifes Rich Pageant, wth "Fall On Me" and all of a sudden, they "sucked" and they were "generic" and ""it all sounded the same".   And I'm like, ok.   

Oh I know you aren't complaining, but I do think it's an interesting discussion.  But I would say that maybe for some of us who found our way to DTF, that connection with legends/hall of fame artists just wasn't there in the first place.  If it was, maybe there wouldn't have been a need to find DT and as a result, even less-known artists.  I'm certainly not saying this applies to everyone here - certainly not.  But I think it does for some.  So it isn't necessarily a surprise that you would have scored lower by using said legends. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1059 on: August 28, 2018, 09:22:26 AM »
Stads... one thing you learn quickly in following these is when to participate, and when not to.  It certainly is frustrating to be horribly unaligned with a hosts musical tastes over and over again.  My first 10 roulettes, I finished 1st/2nd/3rd last in seven of them.  The two people who I knew were in line with my tastes, I finished 1st and 2nd.  After that, I got more selective on when I played.
And now we are in 2018... and you entered mine, and then I entered yours :lolpalm: we never learn. But I'm still having fun :metal

And just want to reiterate that without Stadler, even though he went out in the 3rd or 4th round in my roulette, I probably wouldn't have gotten into Queen and Rainbow. I can trust pretty much anyone in these forums to send good shit, just a matter of them corresponding to the hosts taste a bit
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: August 28, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
To Jingle and Train, that's where it gets fun for me.  I have between 1500 and 2000 CDs, and other than the shit that Portnoy did in DT I don't think I have one song with growls.    Not one Viking Metal CD (though my god, I want to like that so badly, just because of the name).  So I figure the challenge is to walk that razor edge of trying to not only suss the hosts tastes, but also find that element in something totally outside of the genre.   It doesn't always work - it rarely works, to be honest - but to get even one "Huh, I never would have heard that before; not my favorite, but it's not what I thought it was!" is really a win for me.   

Like when Jingle tells me how surprised he was that the song(s) from "Music from...The Elder" were so fucking good. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1061 on: August 28, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
The Elder is so fucking good. Who knows? He might like it. But I sent ABBA so I must win the round 😀

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1062 on: August 28, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »
To Jingle and Train, that's where it gets fun for me.  I have between 1500 and 2000 CDs, and other than the shit that Portnoy did in DT I don't think I have one song with growls.    Not one Viking Metal CD (though my god, I want to like that so badly, just because of the name).  So I figure the challenge is to walk that razor edge of trying to not only suss the hosts tastes, but also find that element in something totally outside of the genre.   It doesn't always work - it rarely works, to be honest - but to get even one "Huh, I never would have heard that before; not my favorite, but it's not what I thought it was!" is really a win for me.   

Like when Jingle tells me how surprised he was that the song(s) from "Music from...The Elder" were so fucking good.

Sounds like you need a 'growl round' in your next roulette.  Tim did it, and how he's converted.  Me, I'm still a bit of a novice - I can handle them in moderation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: August 28, 2018, 12:27:16 PM »
I was thinking that.  I'm open to it.  I know I don't like the emo-schtick of the quiet, mid-range tenor verse, then the angst-driven, scream-o chorus.   But hell, I listen to Motorhead and AC/DC, so it's not like I'm married to slick, Kelly Keagy vocals.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1064 on: August 28, 2018, 12:33:52 PM »
an entire growl roulette  :metal

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: August 28, 2018, 12:37:25 PM »
an entire growl roulette  :metal

Baby steps, my friend, baby steps. 

Offline 425

« Reply #1066 on: August 28, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »
Yeah, my recommendation is to not under any circumstances do an entire growl roulette.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1067 on: August 28, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
 :sadpanda:

Maybe I should just to spite you now

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1068 on: August 28, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
All my future submissions to 425 will just be Archspire. Side note Archspire is awesome.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: jingle.boy's fourth roulette: Round 4 - RESULTZ ... soon (like tomorrow)
« Reply #1069 on: August 28, 2018, 02:06:37 PM »
listening to the archspire album from last year was "amusing" I guess but that brand of over the top technicality isn't something that has lasting appeal for me  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1070 on: August 28, 2018, 04:20:11 PM »
Ouch.. Shadow Ninja, Relentless Mutation currently ranks as my lowest ever rated RYM album and pretty much the only one on that account that I deemed unfinishable :lol I couldn't stand that album at all.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1071 on: August 28, 2018, 04:28:57 PM »
I don't really like any tech death at all, but for some reason I love that album. It's incredibly addictive.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1072 on: August 28, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
you should listen to mithras, they're not remotely similar to archspire but they also don't really sound like other tech death band's either, I really dig their latest album and just got the one before it recently & it seems pretty cool too

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: August 28, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »
A growl roulette?  Sign me up now!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1074 on: August 28, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
you should listen to mithras, they're not remotely similar to archspire but they also don't really sound like other tech death band's either, I really dig their latest album and just got the one before it recently & it seems pretty cool too

I'll check it out soon and see what's up.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1075 on: August 28, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »
jingle.boy roulette thread just turned into: The Official Technical Death Metal Thread v. techdeath.boy

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1076 on: August 28, 2018, 04:44:44 PM »
the rivers of nihil album before the newest one sucked btw
new obscura and augury were both fine but I didn't love either
but the upcoming beyond creation is sounding pretty good so far

Offline 425

« Reply #1077 on: August 28, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
All my future submissions to 425 will just be Archspire. Side note Archspire is awesome.

I don't know what this is but I don't think I like it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1078 on: August 28, 2018, 05:21:20 PM »
I'm not actually going to send it because I'm sure you'll hate it, but you can check it out if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAjZncvBfgI

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1079 on: August 28, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
I'm gonna send you gorguts in your next round 425

Offline 425

« Reply #1080 on: August 28, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
why
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1081 on: August 28, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
to drive you mad

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: August 28, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »
And you bitch about bad scores in Jingle's Roulette and should we expect you to cry when 425 gives you bad scores? Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1083 on: August 28, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
i mean, i don't really care about my scores in this roulette, i'm just not really having fun trying to find stuff to send jingle regardless :lol
and i'm just screwing with 425 mostly, i don't actually plan to send paramacore or tech death or anything
i dunno what you're so salty about though  :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: August 28, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
 :lol

Your a mean boy then.