Poll

Does Splent take too long

Yes, he needs to listen more and stop procrastinating even though he's busy as fuck
5 (41.7%)
Yes, but I understand his life is crazy right now so I'll let it slide for now
4 (33.3%)
No, don't worry about it, you're doing fine
0 (0%)
No, in fact you can slow down a bit and it'll still be ok
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Splent's Controversial Roulette v.1.0.11 - R10 RESULTS!! FINAL ROUND COMMENCING  (Read 89776 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.4 - Round 4 (Hangman)
« Reply #1015 on: May 25, 2016, 06:27:39 PM »
what will come first, full hangman reveal or results?  :lol

T_at's A _oo_ __est_on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1016 on: May 25, 2016, 07:18:21 PM »
Oh hush.

I won't do results tonight. Oddly enough the songs being short is making it harder for me to actually score :lol you'd think it'd be easier becuase I've had a ton of listens already. Plus this week has been a bitch. I'll get them tomorrow.

Keep plugging away at hangman. As soon as I get to the computer I'll update that.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1017 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »
Death Cab For Cutie - Steadier Footing

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1018 on: May 25, 2016, 07:29:39 PM »
i'm just ready to go from near the top of the scoreboard to being cut  :tup

Offline 425

« Reply #1019 on: May 25, 2016, 10:07:16 PM »
Death Cab For Cutie - Steadier Footing

Finally! :tup
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1020 on: May 26, 2016, 04:56:37 AM »
i'm just ready to go from near the top of the scoreboard to being cut  :tup

Parama - harsh noise - harsh noise short version

That was harsh.

Pi/10

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1021 on: May 26, 2016, 05:59:01 AM »
Better than 1/10
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1022 on: May 26, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »
I have an interview after school so I'm not doing anything related to this until after I get home. Just FYI.

OK, I have a dilemma.

I'm supposed to eliminate 4 after this round. Obviously, scores are a little lower than usual due to this being a difficult round, but there is nothing unattainable at this point, as only a few points separate 12th place from 1st.

I have preliminary numbers in. I want to do one (or two) more listen(s), and that may change points up or down, but it's usually pretty set at this point. I have not started write ups yet, so don't ask... they won't take long either.

Here's my dilemma:

I have 3 people for sure being eliminated, but then I have 2 who have the same score for that 4th elimination spot. I don't know what I should do. I want to be fair, but I really don't know how to go about this. I know people will be disappointed but I don't want to unfairly eliminate someone. I do have one idea but I don't want to suggest it for fear of backlash or possibly revealing who they are based on previous scores.

Suggestions welcome.

BTW here's the song list (since I'm doing writeups and they'll be revealed likely within the next 10 hours or so, and most have been guessed already)

Seventh Wonder - Tears of a Father
Opeth - Patterns In The Ivy
Fates Warning - Falling
Camel - Rhyader Alone
Diablo Swing Orchestra - How To Organize A Lynch Mob
Death Cab for Cutie - Steadier Footing
The Rembrandts - Goodnight
Arstidir - Days & Nights
Bic Runga - When I See You Smile
Pandora's Box - The Opening of the Box
St. Vincent - The Sequel
Rhapsody - Lux Triumphans
Future of the Left - Things to Say to Friendly Policemen
Woven Distortion - The Gate
Cursive - Some Red-Handed Slight of Hand
Khorikos - Bogoróditse Djévo

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1023 on: May 26, 2016, 11:47:33 AM »
just do a quick tiebreaker while everyone else is submitting round 5 songs

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1024 on: May 26, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
Well, if they have different bonus point values I'd just eliminate the one that has less bonus points, since that means he sent you better songs overall and you might get something better from him going on.

If not, I'd either decide by top score or just let both play on.

Or a tiebreaker ;).

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1025 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »
1 on 1 fist fight
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1026 on: May 26, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
Tiebreaker is the most fun for sure.

Who am I kidding I'm already eliminated
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1027 on: May 26, 2016, 11:56:43 AM »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1028 on: May 26, 2016, 12:00:56 PM »

or this

Tiebreaker is the most fun for sure.

Who am I kidding I'm already eliminated
I'm also sure I'm either eliminated or one of two with same points facing elimination :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1029 on: May 26, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »
Rock 'em, Sock 'em Robots.  Best 3 out of 5.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1030 on: May 26, 2016, 12:13:56 PM »
I have no clue what I'm going to send for round 5 tbh but maybe I'll get cut and not have to worry

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1031 on: May 26, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
Well, if they have different bonus point values I'd just eliminate the one that has less bonus points, since that means he sent you better songs overall and you might get something better from him going on.

This was actually what I was thinking

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1032 on: May 26, 2016, 01:03:56 PM »
Oh boy the excitement. I could very well be one of the guys on the verge of elimination, and considering I sent 3 bonus songs already, perhaps this was the end. To be continued, soon.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1033 on: May 26, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »
I didn't think about like a one-off though, that may make things interesting, especially from a cockblock standpoint...

hmm.

Give me a bit. I have to get ready for my interview.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1034 on: May 26, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »

Well, I wouldn't mind that. If it ends up being me on the edge, the only one who sent less bonuses than me is king, and he seems to be pretty consistent.

Offline 425

« Reply #1035 on: May 26, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »

Well, I wouldn't mind that. If it ends up being me on the edge, the only one who sent less bonuses than me is king, and he seems to be pretty consistent.

Pretty much exactly this, lol. But a one-off works as well.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: May 26, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »
I'm just sad because I'm getting cut and won't be able to send the epic I wanna send splent, which he may hate anyways or maybe not dunno

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1037 on: May 26, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »

You just jinxed me. :lol

I used my first bonus for this round.  I figured the scores would be very weird this round and 1 extra point would help.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1038 on: May 26, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »
Tiebreaker, I want to see blood! :D

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.4 - Round 4 (Results in hours)
« Reply #1039 on: May 26, 2016, 06:41:11 PM »
Hmm.

OK, I'm posting results in a few hours... I can DO the tiebreaker, but the thing is that means a cockblock is possible.

Should I do a poll? ;)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.4 - Round 4 (POLL and Results in hours)
« Reply #1040 on: May 26, 2016, 08:09:45 PM »
Right now it's 1-1. I'm working on write ups, I have more than half done. So :soon:. I'm actually thinking about doing the one off tiebreaker though. The tiebreaker would NOT factor into the score.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.4.5 - Round 4 (POLL and Results in hours)
« Reply #1041 on: May 26, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »
Jingle.boy:Rhapsody - Lux Triumphans 6.5/10 +1= 7.5/10
Yeah, you weren’t a fan of this round if I recall. This was a clunker for me. The voice that introduces the song is borderline comical… I know he’s trying to sound dark but it’s so freaking cliche especially with the water drips in the background that I couldn’t take is seriously. I like choral sounds in pieces like this, but this one didn’t really go anywhere (in comparison, I really like the opening number of Symphony X’s “V” that sounds like Verdi’s Requiem, at least that added a power metal section). I do realize that this sets up the rest of the album and I’m sure it’s epic, but I couldn’t get into it.

Train: Diablo Swing Orchestra - How To Organize A Lynch Mob 7/10 +1 = 8/10
Again, this one really didn’t go anywhere. It was really slow… too slow. It sounded like one giant cadenza. Because of that, I couldn’t tell where it was going, or even if it had a melody… it didn’t really work by itself.

425: Death Cab for Cutie - Steadier Footing 7.5/10
This one wasn’t bad, but I just couldn’t get into it. It almost sounded like one of those pop punk bands like Green Day, and while I’m ok with that, that kind of music is hit and miss for me, and unfortunately this one missed.

Tomislav: Camel - Rhyader Alone 8/10
I know a few pieces by Camel, and I really enjoyed them and it is one band I’d like to explore more. However, this interlude didn’t really go anywhere or do much for me. It’s great as transitional music but doesn’t really work by itself and doesn’t really have anything memorable about it. Still, I enjoyed it and want to hear this album front to back (as I really enjoy Le Princesse Perdue a LOT).

Parama: Cursive - Some Red-Handed Slight of Hand 8/10
It wasn’t bad at all, I think you were afraid that it’d be too harsh, and it wasn’t. It was on the harsh side of things, but it was short enough where it didn’t rub me the wrong way. It just wasn’t anything special in my opinion. And what’s with that soft warning sound at the end? Does that lead into the next song?

Fluffy: Bic Runga - When I See You Smile 8/10
Like some of the others, it was very nice, but really didn’t have anything special that stood out for me. It was just a really nice short song with a guitar.

TAC: Fates Warning - Falling 8/10
For as short as this song was it was VERY repetitive. That was the biggest turnoff. It was a short phrase repeated like 4 times before it changed, and then ended one more time with that repeated phrase. Just a little bit too much. It always rubs me the wrong way when it’s repeated 3 times before we hit the chorus rather than 2. Seemed a little overkill. Still a nice short ballad.

Evermind: Seventh Wonder - Tears of a Father 8.5/10
This was nice, and I really want to hear what happens next. Very conceptual. Doesn’t QUITE work by itself, which is why the score went down, but it does to an extant. It was also very dark (I mean, it’s SUPPOSED to be... but it just may have been due to me starting with it in the playlist). I am interested in hearing the rest of this album though especially after hearing it.

Elite: St. Vincent - The Sequel 8.5/10
This piece was unique. Kind of avant-garde instrumentation that kind of reminds me of Tori Amos’ albums that uses the small ensembles. It was nice. Because of this randomness, I never really knew where the piece was going, and had a hard time maintaining focus due to my ADD (legit). It was good though.

Big Hath: Khorikos - Bogoróditse Djévo 9/10
A nice choral piece that I probably would have sung in college had my director gone to Poland for an extended period of time. He did go to Russia and I sang pieces in Russian for a while. I do really like this piece. Unfortunately it ends to early! But it’s very nice. I’d like to hear more by them.

Tyrias: Arstidir - Days & Nights 9/10
Again, it was a very nice short track. It had an almost folky feel to it, and I really enjoyed it. The vocal harmonies were REALLY nice in this, almost like the band America.

Scorpion: Opeth - Patterns In The Ivy 9/10
A very nice short instrumental. I really liked the subtle piano in here; it reminded me of Different Strings by Rush, which in my opinion is one of their most underrated tracks. I wish it had a little bit more substance to it. And even for a short song it was a little repetative. But I enjoyed it quite a bit.

King: The Rembrandts - Goodnight 9/10 +1= 10/10
This piece reminded me of the Beatles. Like mid 60s era Beatles… it reminded me of Hello Goodbye. It was really nice. Perfect length for a song like this. Now I want to watch Friends.

Bolsters: Pandora’s Box - The Opening of the Box 9.5/10
THIS Is how to open up an album. This was great. It was crazy, chaotic, and AN ACTUAL ORCHESTRA. I am genuinely interested in hearing the rest of this album after hearing this.

Sacul: Future of the Left - Things to Say to Friendly Policemen 9.5/10
Oh this was fun. This sounds like Adam Sandler trying to sing with a hardcore ska band. It’s completely crazy. And it works. I hope the rest of the music sounds like this. There are some harsh vocals but it is one of those rare examples where it doesn’t bother me at all. I would expect them in this type of song.

Lonestar: Woven Distortion - The Gate 9.5/10
HEre’s another band I REALLY want to check out now after really enjoying this short tidbit. They do a LOT in under 2 minutes here, and it’s really enjoyable and leaves me wanting more. A GREAT short instrumental, and I was always bummed when it ended.

WHO IS STILL IN

Bolsters 39
Big Hath 39
kingschmegland 38.5
Lonestar 38.5
Sacul 37.5
parama 37
Evermind 37
Tyrias 36.5
TAC 35.5
Scorpion 35
Jingle.boy 35

ELIMINATED
Tomislav 34
Train of Naught 34
Fluffy Lothario 32.5

To you three; very VERY good effort, and I'm sorry this roulette didn't really go your way. I hope you guys had fun through the first four rounds.

And now....
TIED
425 34.5
Elite 34.5

I wasn't originally going to do a tiebreaker, but this sounds intriguing. I'm giving you guys 24 hours to submit me a song. I will listen to the songs and post results within 24 hours of receiving both. Round 5 will then commence.

Artists chosen by these players will be eliminated from selection in future rounds by all players, so there is still strategy involved. And players, don't think that because you are in this place right now doesn't mean there isn't a possibility of you winning.

If you don't submit by 10PM Central Time tomorrow (That's Chicago time) you will be eliminated regardless.

Good luck!!!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.4.5 - Round 4 RESULTS and....
« Reply #1042 on: May 26, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
Oh. DO NOT SEND ME ROUND 5 YET!!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1043 on: May 26, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »
Wow, I am sucking on this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1044 on: May 26, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »
it's not a warning sound, it's an organ  :lol
but yeah it does segue into the next track

also "not anything special" screw you i'm sending harsh noise next round  :loser:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: May 26, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »

At least we're still in! And this Fates Warning track is fantastic.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1046 on: May 26, 2016, 09:14:35 PM »

maybe if you tried to send some RATT that would help??
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1047 on: May 26, 2016, 09:15:21 PM »
oh, fates warning was sent, there goes one of my round 5 options, nice  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #1048 on: May 26, 2016, 09:16:31 PM »

Yeah, I was hoping to do a little better than I did this round. Oh well, last shot to survive... What shall I send...?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1049 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17:46 PM »
the song you got a 9.5/10 for in my roulette tbh
wait never mind they're banned  :lol