Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518584 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2100 on: February 09, 2016, 06:06:04 AM »
Does anybody know if MM is the only one who actually hears the click-track?
Does he have the "secret cowbell" that MP had?

I'm pretty sure that's how they did it in the past, but someone else might be able to answer for sure, so don't quote me on that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2101 on: February 09, 2016, 06:09:06 AM »
I could be wrong, but I recall that only MM hears the click, the rest of the band hears only him. And he does have triggered drums that he can use for a count, which would be more essential when you have a section without drums but still have to rely on the drummer for timing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #2102 on: February 09, 2016, 06:23:52 AM »
Yeah, I thought so.
It's extremely impressive when you think about all the time-, mood- and tempo-changes in The Astonishing.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2103 on: February 09, 2016, 07:04:42 AM »
I'm curious to see if they'll play the two overtures or whether the band will just come in on TGOM and MOB for each Act.  I seem to remember that they didn't play the SDOIT overture live, just piped in, and obviously didn't play False Awakening Suite on last tour, just a video presentation.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: February 09, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »
Wouldn't you just love to see their rehearsals (which I assume they're doing as we type)...especially in light of what JP had to say in the web interview the other day?

[edited because of stupidity]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:25:47 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2105 on: February 09, 2016, 07:30:06 AM »
I'm curious to see if they'll play the two overtures or whether the band will just come in on TGOM and MOB for each Act.  I seem to remember that they didn't play the SDOIT overture live, just piped in, and obviously didn't play False Awakening Suite on last tour, just a video presentation.

I'd be shocked if they didn't play both.

I think False Awakening Suite was specifically written to open the show and be their lead-in, just as the "easter egg" acted as the credits music for the show, like musical book-ends. They could have played it live, but I get the impression it was possibly never their intention to do so.
SDOIT Overture was simply too hard to pull off live, since it had such an "orchestra" heavy arrangement, and it's a hard song to hold together with the orchestral style percussion and changing tempos. They probably attempted it and realized it wasn't going to work live, so opted for the backing track instead.

I think TA was designed to be played through from start to finish, and I can't see any reason why the two instrumental tracks wouldn't be played here. They're important to establishing and re-establishing the musical themes, and aren't difficult songs by DT standards.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2106 on: February 09, 2016, 07:52:37 AM »
Number 11 on us billboard

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2107 on: February 09, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »
Sharing here as well.  Here is the first look at the 3D Printed NOMACs from the ltd edition box set:

We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2108 on: February 09, 2016, 08:27:47 AM »
Looking pretty cool! Any higher res pics?

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
« Reply #2109 on: February 09, 2016, 08:29:53 AM »
Looking pretty cool! Any higher res pics?

Unfortunately no.  These were embedded into the e-mail so I guess they had to keep the resolution on the low end.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: February 09, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »
That's a shame. Can't wait to see more pics of it. It looks like a fair bit of finishing work has gone into it, probably sanding back the printed layers, painting it silver, and giving it a wash of black to bring out the details.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
« Reply #2111 on: February 09, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »
That's a shame. Can't wait to see more pics of it. It looks like a fair bit of finishing work has gone into it, probably sanding back the printed layers, painting it silver, and giving it a wash of black to bring out the details.

Yeah for sure. It's no wonder the thing has been delayed.

Also looks like the ltd edition box set orders are getting a poster of Heave's Cove with the bands signatures on it!

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #2112 on: February 09, 2016, 08:42:52 AM »
Hey I haven't checked in on the thread in a while and am too lazy to read back; you guys say anything other than what is metal and what is ballads and the same copy-pasted pro and con arguments about rock operas?

Oh there are 3D printed NOMACs that's cool.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline mc7

« Reply #2113 on: February 09, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »

I think False Awakening Suite was specifically written to open the show and be their lead-in, just as the "easter egg" acted as the credits music for the show, like musical book-ends. They could have played it live, but I get the impression it was possibly never their intention to do so.
SDOIT Overture was simply too hard to pull off live, since it had such an "orchestra" heavy arrangement, and it's a hard song to hold together with the orchestral style percussion and changing tempos. They probably attempted it and realized it wasn't going to work live, so opted for the backing track instead.

I think TA was designed to be played through from start to finish, and I can't see any reason why the two instrumental tracks wouldn't be played here. They're important to establishing and re-establishing the musical themes, and aren't difficult songs by DT standards.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday and I think they will have the two overtures piped, backed by an elaborate video presentation, introducing us to the Astonishing world.
I can see the same problems performing these overtures live as SDOIT had when they performed it. Plus, there is perhaps the most technical moment on the album in Dystopian Overture, where DT instruments blend in and interact with the orchestra and brass sections. Even for musicians as talented as these guys I think the fiddly timing of this section would be EXTREMELY hard to achieve.
As I was listening to the first overture, I could so imagine the strobe light appearing on JP as the opening riff of The Gift Of Music began.
Thinking about video presentations does anyone think there will be visuals throughout the entire concert allowing audiences to watch a movie of sorts to follow the storyline?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2114 on: February 09, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »
Hey I haven't checked in on the thread in a while and am too lazy to read back; you guys say anything other than what is metal and what is ballads and the same copy-pasted pro and con arguments about rock operas?

Oh there are 3D printed NOMACs that's cool.
Nope you've pretty much got it covered.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2115 on: February 09, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »
:3

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2116 on: February 09, 2016, 09:51:24 AM »
For those who are more knowledgeable about guitar here, is there a similarity in the TGOM intro and The Answer intro or is it just the plucking pattern?

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2117 on: February 09, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
For those who are more knowledgeable about guitar here, is there a similarity in the TGOM intro and The Answer intro or is it just the plucking pattern?

More than likely the latter, but maybe it was intentional. They are definitely in different keys though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2118 on: February 09, 2016, 10:06:54 AM »

So you listened to the album once in the last week. :lol Plus 2 songs again presumably. Which ones were they?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2119 on: February 09, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »

More than likely the latter, but maybe it was intentional. They are definitely in different keys though.

What I am sure is that The Answer intro is the same as When Your Time Has Come.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: February 09, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »

So you listened to the album once in the last week. :lol Plus 2 songs again presumably. Which ones were they?

shut up I've listened to it like 6 times that didn't get scrobbled because I was at work come on rich you don't mod my LIFE :'(

Offline emtee

« Reply #2121 on: February 09, 2016, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm kind of embarrassed by how little I know about the story unfolding on the album. I've always been the same though. It's all about
the music for me. Maybe one boring weekend day I'll sit down and read the lyric book along with the album.

After so many spins I'm getting a feel for where this could end up in my rankings but I still want to wait a few weeks.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2122 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:42 AM »

shut up I've listened to it like 6 times that didn't get scrobbled because I was at work come on rich you don't mod my LIFE :'(

damn yeah bacong
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2123 on: February 09, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »

I was thinking the same thing yesterday and I think they will have the two overtures piped, backed by an elaborate video presentation, introducing us to the Astonishing world.
I can see the same problems performing these overtures live as SDOIT had when they performed it. Plus, there is perhaps the most technical moment on the album in Dystopian Overture, where DT instruments blend in and interact with the orchestra and brass sections. Even for musicians as talented as these guys I think the fiddly timing of this section would be EXTREMELY hard to achieve.
As I was listening to the first overture, I could so imagine the strobe light appearing on JP as the opening riff of The Gift Of Music began.
Thinking about video presentations does anyone think there will be visuals throughout the entire concert allowing audiences to watch a movie of sorts to follow the storyline?
[/quote]

For me not playing Dystopian Overture would be like not playing Overture 1928.

Just imagine the show: lights go out, you hear Descent of the Nomacs, there are those two loud noises at the end and then....... nothing? it would be the most anticlimatic beginning of a show in DT history.

They will play it live, *maybe* they could pipe in the Entr'Acte, but Dystopian Overture will be played.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2124 on: February 09, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »

Just imagine the show: lights go out, you hear Descent of the Nomacs, there are those two loud noises at the end and then....... nothing? it would be the most anticlimatic beginning of a show in DT history.

Except that you wouldn't be hearing "nothing."  You would be hearing Dystopian Overture.  And then after the overture ends, the lights will come up to the band coming onstage for the mellow opening to The Gift of Music, very similar to when they played Six Degrees on the Six Degrees tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: February 09, 2016, 12:14:43 PM »
There's no way they'll do that, they will play it, I'm willing to place a wager if anybody is intrested heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2126 on: February 09, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »

Except that you wouldn't be hearing "nothing."  You would be hearing Dystopian Overture.  And then after the overture ends, the lights will come up to the band coming onstage for the mellow opening to The Gift of Music, very similar to when they played Six Degrees on the Six Degrees tour.

Yeah, I know, "Nothing" as in "no actual music playing and intro tape still rolling".

Well, we'll see, gut feeling tells me that they will play it live, it's still an instrumental song, Overture from Six Degrees wasn't really a full band (minus James) piece, it was more understandable that they wouldn't play it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2127 on: February 09, 2016, 12:17:03 PM »
If Dream Theater listed and billed this show as "Dream Theater presents The Astonishing - Live" and then play two of the best songs off their iPod, I'd be very upset...

But  :lol :lol what on Earth makes you think they'd do that? Descent of the NOMACS is clearly an intro tape.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2128 on: February 09, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
I didn't even take that matter to my gut MirrorMask, it's too obvious to me that they will play, I'll put money on it. Remember that quote and shame the hell out of me if they don't heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2129 on: February 09, 2016, 12:25:31 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised either way.  They could play a number of pieces that they don't actually play and just use a tape for (e.g., Six Degrees Overture, False Awakening Suite, Metropolis Pt. 1 opening, etc.).  Whatever they decide to do will make sense in the context of the show for reasons we have absolutely zero idea about, so I wouldn't speculate one way or the other.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2130 on: February 09, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
That one adds quite a lot, I would say. It's the point at which Faythe convinces Nafaryus to give Gabriel a chance, and does quite a bit to open up Nafaryus' character with the revelation that as a young man he liked to listen to music as well.
Good points.  :tup

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2131 on: February 09, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised either way.  They could play a number of pieces that they don't actually play and just use a tape for (e.g., Six Degrees Overture, False Awakening Suite, Metropolis Pt. 1 opening, etc.).  Whatever they decide to do will make sense in the context of the show for reasons we have absolutely zero idea about, so I wouldn't speculate one way or the other.

Well, I wouldn't really say that we have "zero idea" about it, this entry (a bit dated, ok) from MP's FAQ explains what works also for basically every other band:

"On Once in a LIVEtime, who is playing the acoustic guitar and piano at the beginning of The Crimson Sunrise? faq id: 211
MP: Both the Acoustic Guitar and Piano are part of a Pre-recorded intro tape. We've done the same throughout our career with Metropolis, Pull Me Under and even Regression. The reason is to help build the anticipation and excitement at the start of the show (or encore) and to have a more exciting entrance when we arrive on the stage. It has nothing to do with “not being able” to play those intros, as we have played each one of these songs both ways throughout our career."

Anyway, did they actually play the intro of Metropolis? I think they've always played it as opener or as an encore song, therefore warranting the use of the intro tape...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2132 on: February 09, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »

YES I DO I OWN YOU

No I was just amused by the fact that it's your highest plays by far but still only one listen. I had the same thing last week. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2133 on: February 09, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »

Well, I wouldn't really say that we have "zero idea" about it, this entry (a bit dated, ok) from MP's FAQ explains what works also for basically every other band:

"On Once in a LIVEtime, who is playing the acoustic guitar and piano at the beginning of The Crimson Sunrise? faq id: 211
MP: Both the Acoustic Guitar and Piano are part of a Pre-recorded intro tape. We've done the same throughout our career with Metropolis, Pull Me Under and even Regression. The reason is to help build the anticipation and excitement at the start of the show (or encore) and to have a more exciting entrance when we arrive on the stage. It has nothing to do with “not being able” to play those intros, as we have played each one of these songs both ways throughout our career."

Anyway, did they actually play the intro of Metropolis? I think they've always played it as opener or as an encore song, therefore warranting the use of the intro tape...
Okay, but that directly supports what I just said.  They have a history of using intro tapes for songs or parts of songs that they clearly could play if they wanted to.  There is clear precedent that would make any hypothetical decision to not play Dystopian Overture "par for the course." 

That said, we do indeed have precisely "zero idea" about what they plan to do for this tour.  At this point, we have no idea about what the band is planning for this show and how they want to present it, other than the fact that it will be The Astonishing from start to finish.  So anyone taking a firm position about whether they "will" or "will not" actually play Dystopian Overture is just guessing with practically no basis for their guess whatsoever.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2134 on: February 09, 2016, 01:03:15 PM »
i just watched TGOM music video because i'm late and

okay
is it just me or is Myung more audible in the video than he actually is on the album? I wasn't even really paying attention to the bassline at first but it caught my ear pretty easily, whereas I've never really noticed his parts on the album version