Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518552 times)

Offline Gromit1710

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2065 on: February 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM »
Is anyone else interested to see how the band will pull off all the added instruments/orchestra and choir parts?

• Play to a click track.

• Play the tracks over the PA.

Don't think they'll do either of these. They've always been a band that does everything between the 5 of them. And Jordan LOVES mucking about with tons of patches and samples. Bet he's just lusting over using all his gadgets to fill in the blanks.

It will probably be a bit thinner, but I doubt there's going to be a magical Choir or Orchestra that appears out of the speakers during the performance. 

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #2066 on: February 08, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
Hey people! this is me singing MOB! Would you check it out????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xzWQPUOOeU

I'm so happy! :metal

Great job!  When doing DT covers, I think the vocalist almost always has the greatest challenge.  Very few people can sing with authority in the range James sings in.

Is there music/tabs available for this already, or did you guys all do it by ear?  I'm trying to learn the Our New World solo on guitar, but can't figure out those sweep-picking arpeggios, etc.  No tab so far in the usual spots online.

Everything was learned by ear my friend! a hard work but was really fun! Thanks for your kind words!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2067 on: February 08, 2016, 05:02:22 PM »
I have no idea how Jordan is going to play all the brass/symphony/choir/keyboard parts at once, especially because there's sometimes like three parts at a time.

Maybe the real astonishing thing is that Kevin Moore will return to play extra keyboards for the tour!  :hat

Yes, that's dope the smiley is smoking...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2068 on: February 08, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
Is anyone else interested to see how the band will pull off all the added instruments/orchestra and choir parts?

• Play to a click track.

Don't think they'll do either of these. They've always been a band that does everything between the 5 of them. And Jordan LOVES mucking about with tons of patches and samples. Bet he's just lusting over using all his gadgets to fill in the blanks.

It will probably be a bit thinner, but I doubt there's going to be a magical Choir or Orchestra that appears out of the speakers during the performance. 

Um, no.  On the last tour, they played to a click track and piped in backing vocals and instrumentation. 

Because they have done that in the past, it is HIGHLY likely they will do it again on this tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2069 on: February 08, 2016, 05:10:01 PM »

Don't think they'll do either of these. They've always been a band that does everything between the 5 of them.

Um, no.  On the last tour, they played to a click track and piped in backing vocals and instrumentation. 

Because they have done that in the past, it is HIGHLY likely they will do it again on this tour.

:lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2070 on: February 08, 2016, 05:18:59 PM »
JP said in guitar world magazine that the orchestral and choir tracks will be playing along with the click track. He said they have to get it perfect or it could go awry..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2071 on: February 08, 2016, 05:21:22 PM »
There's plenty of heavy guitar on this album. Are people on crack?
There's a LOT of 7 string, too.
People seem to find it difficult to know which character is saying which lines, I don't have that problem cause I've sat with the lyrics all the way through the album on my first listen and haven't had any problems identifying who's talking on subsequent listens...

I still have not done that.  But I did read the summaries on DT.net, which give a great overview of the story itself.  And I have found that with that knowledge alone, combined with James' voice inflection changes when he is changing characters, it usually isn't difficult to figure out who is speaking at any given point in the story, with just a few exceptions.
This is exactly what I did. The song summaries/explanations on the website are insanely helpful in understanding the story.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2072 on: February 08, 2016, 06:57:05 PM »
One thing not even explained in the website is whether or not Xander was kidnapped, the lyrics clearly state that he followed his father to Heaven's Cove so why was he worried about his life? And why did Daryus threaten him with his son's life?

Well, the way I see it, had Xander been kidnapped by Daryus, Arhys wouldn't have stayed all night in his home (which the track description for "A Tempting Offer" makes me believe he did). Knowing who Arhys is, I guess he would have chased Daryus and get his son back. So, in my opinion: no, he wasn't kidnapped.

Regarding the second question: I don't think Daryus threatened Arhys with Xander's life. From what I've read, Daryus offer was:

A. for the Empire to have Gabriel and for Xander to have a better life, or
B. for the Empire to try having Gabriel and for Xander to remain as is,

Daryus did threaten to kill Xander, but that was once Arhys was dead and Xander appeared out of nowhere surprising the Prince. I guess he threaten to kill him so there'd be no witness to the crime. He would have had to act fast to cover up - I think that there still was time  ;)

Anyway, that's all speculation, and maybe I'm forgetting a bit of text, so be sure to correct me if I'm missing something!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:12:29 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #2073 on: February 08, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »

• Play to a click track.

*shrugs*

We'll all find out at some point then, won't we?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2074 on: February 08, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »
YES! Not just after The Path That Divides but they can also be clearly heard at the beginning of that very song! that's one thing I forgot to mention up there; why did he say the NOMAC's were "laying still"? the emperor didn't agree to that when he agreed to meet Gabriel, but also it contradicts what I felt was the whole point of going to Heaven's Cove which is to be away from the NOMAC's sounds and influence, which-stay with me here- brings us to the big elephant in the room; the nature and patterns of the NOMAC's presence, are they patrolling or are they always around? The scenes from the trailer drives me to believe there is hundreds, if not thousands, of them, so they don't take breaks or go in for maintenance or generally be in any situation where they're simply off.
Maybe they only patrol populated places and that's why Heaven's Cove was perfect for the meeting, but then Gabriel saying they "the noise machines lie still tonight" doesn't make sense.

Well, maybe the NOMACs did patrol in Heaven's Cove too, and would have been 'turned off' by Nafaryus during Faythe's and Gabriel's song, but not before. I guess that's why their music can be heard in both "The Path That Divides" and "Machine Chatter" - neither the Emperor/Arabelle nor Faythe/Gabriel had arrived at Heaven's Cove by that time, so the NOMACs were still normally functioning.

I've been thinking about these details for a couple of days. It still isn't clear to me what are all of their purposes, or how do people hear their music (in the first e-mail sent by Nafaryus, he talked about "transmitters inside of the flesh", and Arhys says in his first e-mail that his people had managed to "biohack" them, but there is nothing about this, either in the lyrics or in the track descriptions).

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2075 on: February 08, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
The intro to A Savior in the Square, mane

THE FUCKING GUITAR MANE

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2076 on: February 08, 2016, 07:22:44 PM »

• Play to a click track.

*shrugs*

But why would you think they wouldn't do it? That's what they did (barring 1 show) with Illumination theory. Another song with an orchestra and stuff. So it's what they've been doing it for the past few tours. Why would you assume they'd stop?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2077 on: February 08, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »
There's plenty of heavy guitar on this album. Are people on crack?
There's a LOT of 7 string, too.
Well, there's definitely an imbalance of heavy and lighter stuff, so I think people are just confusing that with there being 'no heavy sections or songs'.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: February 08, 2016, 07:57:43 PM »
One thing not even explained in the website is whether or not Xander was kidnapped, the lyrics clearly state that he followed his father to Heaven's Cove so why was he worried about his life? And why did Daryus threaten him with his son's life?

Well, the way I see it, had Xander been kidnapped by Daryus, Arhys wouldn't have stayed all night in his home (which the track description for "A Tempting Offer" makes me believe he did). Knowing who Arhys is, I guess he would have chased Daryus and get his son back. So, in my opinion: no, he wasn't kidnapped.

Regarding the second question: I don't think Daryus threatened Arhys with Xander's life. From what I've read, Daryus offer was:

A. for the Empire to have Gabriel and for Xander to have a better life, or
B. for the Empire to try having Gabriel and for Xander to remain as is,

Daryus did threaten to kill Xander, but that was once Arhys was dead and Xander appeared out of nowhere surprising the Prince. I guess he threaten to kill him so there'd be no witness to the crime. He would have had to act fast to cover up - I think that there still was time  ;)

Anyway, that's all speculation, and maybe I'm forgetting a bit of text, so be sure to correct me if I'm missing something!

Daryus threatened to kill Xander on Tempting Offer, at least that's what this stand off insinuated:

[Arhys]
How dare you step inside my home?!
[Daryus]
His life is in my hands!
[Arhys]
You monster, leave my son alone!
[Daryus]
You do know who I am
Your love for him is strong
[Arhys]
He’s just a boy
He’s done no wrong
This fight’s not his to lose

Daryus offer was life and riches to Xander and also I don't think Daryus cares if he was found after he killed the leader of the rebellion and his son, it's not like they have a parliament or public opinion, he's the the emperor's son in a dictatorship, he's essentially Kim Jong-un :lol

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2079 on: February 08, 2016, 08:52:16 PM »
Daryus threatened to kill Xander on Tempting Offer, at least that's what this stand off insinuated:

You're right, sorry. I forgot about that part.

Daryus offer was life and riches to Xander and also I don't think Daryus cares if he was found after he killed the leader of the rebellion and his son, it's not like they have a parliament or public opinion, he's the the emperor's son in a dictatorship, he's essentially Kim Jong-un :lol

Good point; although I also don't get what other reason he would have for killing the boy. Maybe he was overpowered by his aggresive instincts that very moment?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2080 on: February 08, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
There was no threat to Xander. There was only a tempting offer to give him a better life. Which actually makes Arhys' decision more morally ambiguous (and makes him a better-writtem amd well-rounded character).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2081 on: February 08, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »

• Play to a click track.

I think I read somewhere they'd be doing the orchestra with backing track, which is good because JR also has complex piano parts to handle as well under most of the orchestral stuff.
And I expect the NOMAC tracks will be from tape too, to give a slight breather, and also so they could sync up video work closely with those.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2082 on: February 08, 2016, 09:16:56 PM »
YES! Not just after The Path That Divides but they can also be clearly heard at the beginning of that very song! that's one thing I forgot to mention up there; why did he say the NOMAC's were "laying still"? the emperor didn't agree to that when he agreed to meet Gabriel, but also it contradicts what I felt was the whole point of going to Heaven's Cove which is to be away from the NOMAC's sounds and influence, which-stay with me here- brings us to the big elephant in the room; the nature and patterns of the NOMAC's presence, are they patrolling or are they always around? The scenes from the trailer drives me to believe there is hundreds, if not thousands, of them, so they don't take breaks or go in for maintenance or generally be in any situation where they're simply off.
Maybe they only patrol populated places and that's why Heaven's Cove was perfect for the meeting, but then Gabriel saying they "the noise machines lie still tonight" doesn't make sense.

Well, maybe the NOMACs did patrol in Heaven's Cove too, and would have been 'turned off' by Nafaryus during Faythe's and Gabriel's song, but not before. I guess that's why their music can be heard in both "The Path That Divides" and "Machine Chatter" - neither the Emperor/Arabelle nor Faythe/Gabriel had arrived at Heaven's Cove by that time, so the NOMACs were still normally functioning.

I've been thinking about these details for a couple of days. It still isn't clear to me what are all of their purposes, or how do people hear their music (in the first e-mail sent by Nafaryus, he talked about "transmitters inside of the flesh", and Arhys says in his first e-mail that his people had managed to "biohack" them, but there is nothing about this, either in the lyrics or in the track descriptions).

Or maybe there are NOMACS that accompany Daryus. They always appear near songs where he had major scenes.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2083 on: February 08, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »
I love the recurring character themes and motifs throughout the whole thing. Very John Wiliams-esque, if you ask me.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2084 on: February 09, 2016, 12:03:16 AM »
Or maybe there are NOMACS that accompany Daryus. They always appear near songs where he had major scenes.
+1000

For the live show, the last times I saw them, they played recorded parts of songs, especially intros (which is totally right for bridges in the sky), was just shocking for the root of all evil.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2085 on: February 09, 2016, 12:24:56 AM »

These discussions are freak in GREAT!  Only Dream Theater fans would delve into the details and Take The Time to discuss and help each other understand the story better. :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2086 on: February 09, 2016, 02:35:32 AM »
I can't believe I'm not reading more about Heaven's Cove. My god, that tension building, the eerie keyboards, then the heavy guitars come in...then the end with the gentle piano....it's really four minutes of perfection to me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #2087 on: February 09, 2016, 02:37:45 AM »
^ THIS!

Beautiful use of the seaboard as well and that riff!  :metal
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2088 on: February 09, 2016, 03:27:04 AM »
Heaven's cove is in my top 5, Tristram meets a great heavy second part ! And the keyboard after the 12 string arppegio is splendid
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #2089 on: February 09, 2016, 04:07:15 AM »

• Play to a click track.

*shrugs*

But why would you think they wouldn't do it? That's what they did (barring 1 show) with Illumination theory. Another song with an orchestra and stuff. So it's what they've been doing it for the past few tours. Why would you assume they'd stop?

For me there's a big difference between a few minutes of one song and 90% of songs during a 2 and a half hour performance. I'm just thinking it could be a LOT of pressure

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2090 on: February 09, 2016, 04:12:27 AM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2091 on: February 09, 2016, 04:28:04 AM »
The Astonishing entered at # 4 in the Dutch Top 100 albums. Great accomplishment!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: February 09, 2016, 05:01:29 AM »
Nothing about the Billboard placing yet ? ::)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2093 on: February 09, 2016, 05:11:36 AM »
Dream Theater really needs to make our new World their next single, make a hopeful video of people helping other people when in despair and this song can easily be a major hit!

They aren't planning on releasing any singles from this album.

Except The Gift Of Music.

" it wasn't a single "

Released on iTunes, Had an official Music Video.

it's a single.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #2094 on: February 09, 2016, 05:44:10 AM »

• Play to a click track.

*shrugs*

For me there's a big difference between a few minutes of one song and 90% of songs during a 2 and a half hour performance. I'm just thinking it could be a LOT of pressure
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well. All the times I've seen them, never heard them make widespread use of click tracks and tapes other than intro stuff and random patches during a rare song here and there. Much less a 2 hour long performance. Even on the SFAM tour, I don't recall them using a backing track for the chorus on SCO, a song that used the most obvious choir arrangement up until TA and would have been easy to do so.

But what do I know? Certainly not enough to debate it like it matters. Going to enjoy the show regardless.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2095 on: February 09, 2016, 05:46:37 AM »
It seems to be pretty intuitive figuring out which character is singing during a given song.

Well, one instance that comes to mind is "In peace, we gather here today", which Arhys said in response to Nafaryus asking them to carry on with Gabriel's singing in the square event, to which Daryus responds "Don’t make him ask again", it plays like "Show us what we’ve heard so much about? In peace, we gather here today, Don’t make him ask again", I imagine a listener without lyrics would be confused for a second.
Arabelle has few lines here and there but I feel like she always comes out of nowhere and it's not easy to figure out it's her instantly.
Agreed. Once reading the lyrics through and paying attention, it's easy enough to remember. But it's definitely not that easy to get each line from just listening through.

It seems to be pretty intuitive figuring out which character is singing during a given song.

I can't really tell when he's changing characters when I'm listening to it.  But I brought it over to my friend's house this weekend, as he and his wife like more clasically-inspired rock music (the are both big Muse fans, but they've always been open to listening to DT, and while they don't go by the albums, they enjoy it when I am over and play it)--and she could tell right away without even knowing much about the plot when James was singing the female versus male lines.  I thought it was amazing, because I being the DT aficionado and being well-versed in the plot, still couldn't tell which character was singing without reading the lyric book.

There aren't many characters to pick from. One of which is dead already. Also, the characters have different personalities, so it would be hard to confuse Gabriel and Arhys, for example, or Faythe and Arabelle.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2096 on: February 09, 2016, 05:47:12 AM »
All tours since ADTOE have been played to a click track, so i wonder why is there any question about this one, especially given that they need to run massive backing tracks and visuals.

Offline genome

« Reply #2097 on: February 09, 2016, 05:53:49 AM »

I was under the impression they ran a click for the whole show on the 2014 tour. I think the screen/light show were automated to it as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2098 on: February 09, 2016, 05:55:39 AM »
All tours since ADTOE have been played to a click track, so i wonder why is there any question about this one, especially given that they need to run massive backing tracks and visuals.

And this is possibly the most crucial video show of all, since it has to present a story across the entire show, so it makes clear sense.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #2099 on: February 09, 2016, 05:57:41 AM »
Does anybody know if MM is the only one who actually hears the click-track?
Does he have the "secret cowbell" that MP had?