Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1204742 times)

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #2625 on: December 03, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
"Will you be augmenting the band at all when you play The Astonishing live?
We're not going to be augmenting the band as far as other performers — if we were to film this for a DVD or do a really special location, that would be the instance where we'd have a live orchestra and choir. But we decided to take a lot of time and a lot of care to enlist a company that could create the visuals, so that this is as much of a visual show as it is an aural experience. Because this is character-driven and there are locations, we're going to try to make the stage almost like a transformative stage, an immersive stage, where the settings come to life, and a lot of the artwork is going to be animated. We wanted it to be the closest thing to watching a movie while the band is playing a live score, basically."

OH

MY

GOD!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2626 on: December 03, 2015, 01:57:48 PM »
Every time I leave my computer something like this happens . . . oh why??? :'( :lol

As for the song . . .

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I have a feeling this is going to be an freaking amazing album ;D
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2627 on: December 03, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
We're not going to be augmenting the band as far as other performers — if we were to film this for a DVD or do a really special location, that would be the instance where we'd have a live orchestra and choir. But we decided to take a lot of time and a lot of care to enlist a company that could create the visuals, so that this is as much of a visual show as it is an aural experience. Because this is character-driven and there are locations, we're going to try to make the stage almost like a transformative stage, an immersive stage, where the settings come to life, and a lot of the artwork is going to be animated. We wanted it to be the closest thing to watching a movie while the band is playing a live score, basically."

OH

MY

GOD!

:omg: I don't care what I have to do. I'll even sell my organs if it's necessary :lol. When DT comes to Los Angeles, I am going!!!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2628 on: December 03, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »
So did I read from that JP interview that there will be no guest singers OR orchestra in the live shows?  BUT there will be full video show with a kind of transforming set?

Yes, and the interview reveals a lot of great information, people are probably busy listening to the song, but I'd definitely encourage everyone to read the article as well.

As for the song itself, I really liked it. Great little short 4 minute DT song. The sonics sound pretty good (judging by YouTube). The band sounds great as always. Killer JP solo...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to see the live show setting even though I can't attendance any of the shows. Interesting interview indeed!!!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #2629 on: December 03, 2015, 02:02:18 PM »
And that is an underlying theme; there's kind of a juxtaposition throughout the album of this sort of noise music, this music made by the Noise Machines, this artificial intelligence, and how that compares to the music that Dream Theater is playing as our musical score, which has real piano, real organ, real orchestra, real choir, real instruments.

Liked the song, looking forward to the album and all, but I'm freaking praying that they don't let Jordan go hog wild with goofy keyboard solos.

NOMACS sounds confirmed

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2630 on: December 03, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »
We're not going to be augmenting the band as far as other performers — if we were to film this for a DVD or do a really special location [...]

Like they're not already thinking on where to film it and with how many guests  ;D

"We've already released a DVD of a regular concert for the first Mangini album and a DVD of another regular concert for the second Mangini album with an orchestra only in the last hour of the show. Surely people won't be interested in watching us play an entire goddamn rock opera with the most theatrical stage set and presentation ever"  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2631 on: December 03, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »
It hasnt been an hour, and there is already solo cover on youtube :lol Man I wish I had that skill.

Really is a strong solo though, the beginning of it really reminds me another day.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2632 on: December 03, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »
Interesting point from the interview:

James recorded all his vocals in Canada again with minimal input from Petrucci. 

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2633 on: December 03, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »
So 2h 10mins of new music....

It's still 30mins of other music live... ::)

Yeah, that's why I was wondering about an encore... Set 1 will be Act I and set 2 will be Act II, and then 2-3 songs to round up the evening? well, the encore would be the icing on the cake, I wouldn't be disappointed if it will be only the album.

And 2h40 minutes is the length of an Evening With Shows. 3 hours minus 15 minutes of intermission. Which makes 2h45', ok, but we're there.
Didn't the various sites say the shows were 2h40 including intermission. Factor a bit of time between some of the songs for breathers, shifting sets around, etc., and there's time for maybe one short song at most as an encore.

Maybe they'll do a second tour with a mix of songs from The Astonishing and at least half of the show will be older songs.

Also, I've been wanting to say this for quite some time: I'm pretty much expecting them to do what they've always done, in that the album(s) will be a combination of at least one less than 7 minute "hard rock/metal" song, at least one ballad, at least one instrumental, and at least one "epic-ish" (over ten minutes) track on each disc. It may be that  a lot of the OTHER tracks are just little snippets of dialogue and/or music and/or sound effects that are just included to move the story along.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2634 on: December 03, 2015, 02:08:56 PM »
I really, really like this track.  But let me say this:  Although it would be inappropriate for me to give any details on the other tracks I have heard so far, The Gift of Music is nowhere near my favorite.  Those who, like myself, really liked this song are seriously in for a real treat with this album.  This song only scratches the surface.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2635 on: December 03, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
I really, really like this track.  But let me say this:  Although it would be inappropriate for me to give any details on the other tracks I have heard so far, The Gift of Music is nowhere near my favorite.  Those who, like myself, really liked this song are seriously in for a real treat with this album.  This song only scratches the surface.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear more  :tup

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2636 on: December 03, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
lol @ people complaining about Melodyne

Amazing track. I love this!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2637 on: December 03, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »
Ok song. Sounds like it's a transitional song. Not like a segue or anything. More of a filler to keep the story going.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2638 on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
I don't know what was more hilarious, the song or the youtube comments.  One of them compared it to SDOIT.   :rollin   Bitch please...

Well, I don't know whats so bad about that comparison? It's got a "about to crash" vibe.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #2639 on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:31 PM »
I like LaBrie 's voice, the first thing I said was also that it sounded like SDOIT (About to Crash/Blind Faith elements)
It is a decent song, but it's the first single, so we might expect this album to be insanely good. I loved that keyboard voice in the last solo

My speculations that choir and orchestra will appear all the time were true ^^
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2640 on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
no one has the  t
                         i
                           m
                              e      to tune vocals properly any more.

anyone? no?

Apart from this, I think DT are on to a winner so far, and I wasn't keen on the idea of a whole fantasy thing

Hahahaha  :laugh:

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2641 on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »

The tease is so strong!! :'( :'(

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2642 on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:53 PM »

Aaaaaaand this got me excited!!!!!!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2643 on: December 03, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »

Damn Bosk I'm sooooooo excited now!!! ;D

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #2644 on: December 03, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »
I don't know what was more hilarious, the song or the youtube comments.  One of them compared it to SDOIT.   :rollin   Bitch please...

Well, I don't know whats so bad about that comparison? It's got a "about to crash" vibe.

agreed, I can hear SDOIT vibes aswell.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2645 on: December 03, 2015, 02:13:25 PM »
Cool track, snare a bit much but love the drums overall, great solo. I don't intend to follow the sci-fi story on the album but 2 hours of quality music like this would be enough for me

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: December 03, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »

What else is beneath the surface?! 

I haven't listened, will wait until I get home so I am not at work while I give this a listen.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2647 on: December 03, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
I like it a lot. The overall sound is better and there's a lot of energy. Like others have said, it has a classic feel to it... The band is definitely going in the right direction with this one.

I do sorta wish the drums sounded more natural, but they are an improvement. Also, I like how JP is sitting in the mix, because he's not overpowering the song. He's there without being THERE, know what I mean?

Trying to keep my expectations at a reasonable level, but I'm pretty confident that this will be better than DT12. I really like the idea of 130 minutes of music and this huge story that is being revealed little by little. It's like an adventure that will reach an exciting conclusion on January 29th and we're collecting small pieces to the final puzzle.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2648 on: December 03, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »

Well, I love the track aswell...but I'm not complaining, just a bit shocked they let that one slip through

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2649 on: December 03, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
Ok song. Sounds like it's a transitional song. Not like a segue or anything. More of a filler to keep the story going.

Then again, it's the first official song on the album, so I think I just need more listens.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2650 on: December 03, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »

Well, I love the track aswell...but I'm not complaining, just a bit shocked they let that one slip through

I don't even notice it.  Not sure what the big deal is.  But I will pass it on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2651 on: December 03, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »

I thought it was supposed to be more of an "intro" song.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2652 on: December 03, 2015, 02:17:54 PM »
Also.

I've been hearing this track for weeks now. And I didn't even once bat my eye on Labries singing. Until you made me listen for the flaw. Now I can't unhear it. Damn you!

As for wall of sound... Not to worry. Whereas the s/t deafened me the first times i heard it, and i couldn't get a grasp of the music because of listeners fatigue, not so on what I've heard so far (which is the same thing bosk1 has heard, btw).

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2653 on: December 03, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »

It sounds fine to me. It doesn't sound as weird as some of the people that have complained about that have pointed out.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2654 on: December 03, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
I am now extremely excited and jealous at the same time.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2655 on: December 03, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
I just compared this to DT12.

Such a pleasant and big difference! It's not as loud, and everything sounds much more balanced.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2656 on: December 03, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »
I only notice the pitch correction stuff when I'm actually listening for it. If I take in the song as a whole and just feel the music, it's not really that noticeable. Like the song a lot and now the true wait begins :)
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #2657 on: December 03, 2015, 02:22:36 PM »
Also.

I've been hearing this track for weeks now. And I didn't even once bat my eye on Labries singing. Until you made me listen for the flaw. Now I can't unhear it. Damn you!

As for wall of sound... Not to worry. Whereas the s/t deafened me the first times i heard it, and i couldn't get a grasp of the music because of listeners fatigue, not so on what I've heard so far (which is the same thing bosk1 has heard, btw).

Sorry, that was not my intention  :heart Hopefully there's time to edit it

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #2658 on: December 03, 2015, 02:23:51 PM »

... :hefdaddy...
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2659 on: December 03, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »

I thought it was supposed to be more of an "intro" song.

Did you not read the interview? "Jordan and I wrote the music as really a prog-metal score to the story. We didn't sit down and say, "Let's write a song, here's the first chorus, whatever." We would go through the story and say, "What's happening here, where is it taking place?" We had to make sure the mythology was right, the timeline was right."

They focus on the story first and foremost, so the songs will be most likely be shorter in order to convey a part of the story, and with repating themes throughout like you'll hear in a movie score. The songs will be standalone, but yet be telling a whole story, and be designed to be played as a whole.

"The one instance that kept speaking to me — where a band had this presentation where it wasn't only about the album, but there was a movie connected to it, there were animations, and there was a show that was immersive — was when Pink Floyd did The Wall. At the same time, I purposely didn't want to really think too much about other concept albums or rock operas, and come from more of a storytelling perspective, take my love for everything — whether it be Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, Les [Miserables], Jesus Christ Superstar, Disney movies — and come from the perspective of the elements that make those things so special, and such a big part of our lives."

Think movie score and musical, rather than Dream Theater.