Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 196371 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. nutrition accountability 2021
« Reply #2485 on: June 08, 2021, 12:33:41 PM »
Frustration rant:

I'm an idiot who stacked arm and leg exercises together (i.e. curls with deadlift during the 'rest' period) on the heels of a string of days mountain biking which devastates the forearms. Now I've been dealing with a forearm strain for the last 2 weeks that hurts so much I can't even make a hard fist. Lifting a weight is absolutely out of the question at this point. I've been nearly completely resting it for the past week, and there's improvement; but not being able to do any resistance training is really starting to wear on me. Completely my fault, which is making this worse.

Dude, I was dealing with a brachioradialois strain/pain for like 6 months in my left arm.  I couldn't do more than 8-10 pullups before the pain was brutal; one time, doing DB OHP, I swear to god I thought my forearm was gonna snap it hurt so much.  Between constant stretching, doing a proper warmup on any day where my forearms are going to be taxed, and taking Cavaliere's anti-inflammatory supplements (which are expensive af), it's almost gone.  Not sure where your forearm pain is precisely, but I know that it ain't no fun.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: June 08, 2021, 10:26:35 PM »
Frustration rant:

I'm an idiot who stacked arm and leg exercises together (i.e. curls with deadlift during the 'rest' period) on the heels of a string of days mountain biking which devastates the forearms. Now I've been dealing with a forearm strain for the last 2 weeks that hurts so much I can't even make a hard fist. Lifting a weight is absolutely out of the question at this point. I've been nearly completely resting it for the past week, and there's improvement; but not being able to do any resistance training is really starting to wear on me. Completely my fault, which is making this worse.

That's frustrating mate. I always find trigger pointing to be very useful when it comes to most thing but especially arms where stretching is a bit harder.  make sure you rest it enough mate, and don't go in early and potentially make it worse or prolong your recovery.

That's brutal AF though, curls during rest periods inbetween deadies, oof!  Sounds like my kind of workout.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2487 on: June 08, 2021, 10:27:21 PM »
Frustration rant:

Dude, I was dealing with a brachioradialois strain/pain for like 6 months in my left arm.  I couldn't do more than 8-10 pullups before the pain was brutal; one time, doing DB OHP, I swear to god I thought my forearm was gonna snap it hurt so much.  Between constant stretching, doing a proper warmup on any day where my forearms are going to be taxed, and taking Cavaliere's anti-inflammatory supplements (which are expensive af), it's almost gone.  Not sure where your forearm pain is precisely, but I know that it ain't no fun.

Tell me more.  What's in it that makes it so expensive?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2488 on: June 09, 2021, 08:16:57 AM »
Frustration rant:

I dunno, but they are doing a good job for both me and mrs.jingle (she's got bad back and hip issues).  They're $100USD for a 3-month supply.  https://athleanx.com/athleanrx/mechan-x
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2489 on: June 09, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »
Frustration rant:

I dunno, but they are doing a good job for both me and mrs.jingle (she's got bad back and hip issues).  They're $100USD for a 3-month supply.  https://athleanx.com/athleanrx/mechan-x

That's not that bad when you look at normal supplements and vitmains I guess, comparing over here anyway.  Looks like a glucosamine supplement but has a few extras I've never heard of.  Great that they are working.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2490 on: June 15, 2021, 08:58:10 PM »
Kade, how's the body feeling after 16 days straight in excess of 10km?

When i was 18 (and indestructible, of course) i used to run 10km on the treadmill 5 days a week. Every day, and outside, is a touch mind boggling to me

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2491 on: June 15, 2021, 10:21:51 PM »
Kade, how's the body feeling after 16 days straight in excess of 10km?

When i was 18 (and indestructible, of course) i used to run 10km on the treadmill 5 days a week. Every day, and outside, is a touch mind boggling to me

You would see by my time today that I've hit a wall, big time.  Have been travelling pretty okay and even yesterday I did an 11km at a 5:26 pace and felt alright.  Through the day is tough but it's been fine considering.  Today though, I'm just about broken, I physically couldn't push myself any faster today, my legs are screaming.  I was quite confident on the whole thing even yesterday, but not sure what happened today.

Yeah, I've missed the treadmill and I've always found running outside so much harder.  Mentally, I'm getting tested and really have to dig deep to keep positive and push on.  I'm loving the runs in the morning though and can see myself still doing it after this month, but probably not the volume.  The inclines around home here get to me, that's a big thing.  My average run is 110m elevation gain, so don't know what that really means and have nothing to compare it to.  My Sunday runs are pretty much flat and a lot easier on the legs, and enjoyable.

More stretching and rolling is needed.  By the time I get back home in the morning I have to get ready for work.  After gym in the evening (which is suffering badly now mind you) I go home, make dinner and do a little bit but by then I'm ready just to sleep.  I also know I have to get to bed by 9 just to try and get up by 6 to get going.  It's tough slogging mate.  Tougher than the swimming challenge I did by a long long way.  172km in though, so making good ground with some km's up the sleeve.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2492 on: June 15, 2021, 10:54:24 PM »
I also neglect my stretching. I'm trying to get better, but, like you, I'm usually exhausted and in bed by 9pm so I can have some semblance of sleep before getting up anywhere from 4-6 (depending on how well the youngest kid sleeps).

I'm not surprised to hear the challenge has been harder than the swimming challenge. 300 is massive. I found that "ice" baths really help when my cycling volume ramps up. I just use the coldest my tap water will run for a 12 minute soak (so not a true ice bath). Not sure if it's all psychological, but it eases the soreness for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: June 15, 2021, 11:10:00 PM »
I also neglect my stretching. I'm trying to get better, but, like you, I'm usually exhausted and in bed by 9pm so I can have some semblance of sleep before getting up anywhere from 4-6 (depending on how well the youngest kid sleeps).

I'm not surprised to hear the challenge has been harder than the swimming challenge. 300 is massive. I found that "ice" baths really help when my cycling volume ramps up. I just use the coldest my tap water will run for a 12 minute soak (so not a true ice bath). Not sure if it's all psychological, but it eases the soreness for me.

I don't I realised how much 300 in a month was, regardless of the simple math.  I take cold showers sometimes afterwards but it's been around 7 degrees C the last week so that makes it hard to get in a cold shower.  I've felt benefits from cold showers and had them all tbrough summer.  I went from about September to March with all cold showers, not a single hot one.  How people do them regularly in winter is a bit baffling to me, and I'd say I'm relatively tough.

I'm hoping though just some added stretching and rolling should help with what I felt this morning.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2494 on: June 16, 2021, 03:59:57 PM »
Bounced back today with a 10km at a 5:21 average pace.  That's more like it.  That's my fastest 10km weekday run since starting I believe.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: June 16, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
Bounced back today with a 10km at a 5:21 average pace.  That's more like it.  That's my fastest 10km weekday run since starting I believe.

Fantastic!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2496 on: June 16, 2021, 04:14:10 PM »

Fantastic!

Thanks Chad.  I think so, but my legs disagree.   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2497 on: June 20, 2021, 05:40:52 AM »
Accomplished a massive PB today that I never thought I'd be able to do.  A 10km run at a 4:58 per km average.  Fucking stoked.  Never ever did I think I'd get under a 5 minute average.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: June 20, 2021, 05:50:04 AM »
Accomplished a massive PB today that I never thought I'd be able to do.  A 10km run at a 4:58 per km average.  Fucking stoked.  Never ever did I think I'd get under a 5 minute average.

Kade this morning ...

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2499 on: June 20, 2021, 07:29:22 AM »

And on day 20 in a row, no less!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: June 20, 2021, 03:29:43 PM »
Cheers lads.

This morning was another 10km but 5:41 pace. Came crashing down but that's expected and probably should have had a morning off.  I didn't sleep that well last night as I was so sore physically.  Crazy.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2501 on: June 20, 2021, 07:17:40 PM »
Cheers lads.

This morning was another 10km but 5:41 pace. Came crashing down but that's expected and probably should have had a morning off.  I didn't sleep that well last night as I was so sore physically.  Crazy.
Are you planning to take a rest day? You've got to be ahead enough for one, i imagine

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2502 on: June 20, 2021, 09:33:48 PM »
Cheers lads.

Are you planning to take a rest day? You've got to be ahead enough for one, i imagine

Yeah, I have a day that I can bank and still be a couple if days ahead.  Part of me knows I should, the other half would like to see how far past 300 I can go.  I'm stupid I tell ya.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2503 on: June 21, 2021, 05:03:01 AM »
I took the weekend off from working out.  Assembled a 10x12 gazeebo on Saturday that was pretty much an all day endeavour, so while not a formal lifting workout, I suppose I was burning plenty of calories.  Yesterday was Father's Day, so I just bailed.  Definitely was in a caloric surplus yesterday with a massive T-bone steak, potatoes and four flavours of ice cream as my dinner.

Totally worthy it.

Back and Bis in an hour or so.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2506 on: June 22, 2021, 11:53:01 PM »
245km completed of this damn running June challenge, holy hell am I fucked today.  Can hardly communicate here at work I'm literally wiped out.  Could fall asleep at the drop of a hat.  Still putting in decent weight sessions in the evening but damn, I'm breaking down.  How some of these people have done hundreds and hundreds of kms is beyond me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2507 on: June 23, 2021, 05:01:41 AM »
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/nate-breaks-31-year-world-record-for-1-5-million-push-ups-all-for-charity/

:omg: 4000 pushups per day  :omg:

Makes my little pushup challenge look pretty damn pissweak!  :lol

Right... 30 minutes or so to do 500 pushups literally means 4 hours to do 4000 - and that's assuming no fatigue.  I mean, I did 400 in 26 minutes, but could barely do 10 at a time by that point.  How anyone could do 4000/day and it not essentially be a full-time job is beyond comprehension.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: June 23, 2021, 04:09:22 PM »
Who could even verify that anyway?  Did he film every single pushup, or do you just take him on his word?  :lol  Not implying that he would lie, but that seems really over the top.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2509 on: June 23, 2021, 04:20:05 PM »
I cut my grass today!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2511 on: June 23, 2021, 07:42:32 PM »
Who could even verify that anyway?  Did he film every single pushup, or do you just take him on his word?  :lol  Not implying that he would lie, but that seems really over the top.

I think that’s what was stated in the article.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2512 on: June 23, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »

Probably should read the whole thing next time.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: June 24, 2021, 04:22:38 AM »

Probably should read the whole thing next time.  :lol

Probably ...

In order to claim a new Guinness World Record—ousting the current titleholder after an almost 32-year run—Carroll has been diligently documenting his accomplishments both in a logbook and with time-lapse video throughout his year-long odyssey.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2514 on: June 24, 2021, 05:07:35 AM »
Ok, I should not probably, but definitely read the whole article before running my mouth.  Happy?  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2515 on: June 24, 2021, 05:19:40 AM »
Ok, I should not probably, but definitely read the whole article before running my mouth.  Happy?  ;D

Just razzin ya pal!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: June 25, 2021, 01:06:23 AM »

Just razzin ya pal!

Motherfucker!  I'm gonna go do some pushups!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2517 on: June 27, 2021, 03:57:22 AM »
So 19km's to go in 3 days.  My body is crying at me truthfully.  I am completely spent.  Both backs of the bottom of my calves are are on fire and I can hardly walk.

Yesterday morning I was 8.5km in and my phone rang and it was one of my workers.  I didn't stop as I was only around 2.5km from home and would call back.  She literally rang my phone again.  I feared what was wrong so stopped at 9km.  It was fortunately something minor but totally pissed me off I had to stop.  I had stopped for about 2 minutes then recorded the last 2km which was close to 5 minutes a km.  That arvo the backs of my legs were fucked.  Obviously the 2 minute stop then an almost 2km sprint shocked both my legs and it hurts to walk both sides.

Terrible night last night and I think I got some minor food poisoning.  I really should have rested today but ran through the pain of my legs while trying not to shit myself or vomit and managed 5km at 4.59km pace.  I was fucked afterwards and regretted it right away as my Achilles/calves are so bad.  This has almost broken me but have 3 days to do 19km so lots of rolling and stretching and hope they somewhat pull up ok in the morning.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2518 on: June 27, 2021, 04:24:17 AM »
Yesterday morning I was 8.5km in and my phone rang and it was one of my workers.  I didn't stop as I was only around 2.5km from home and would call back.  She literally rang my phone again.  I feared what was wrong so stopped at 9km.  It was fortunately something minor but totally pissed me off I had to stop.  I had stopped for about 2 minutes then recorded the last 2km which was close to 5 minutes a km.  That arvo the backs of my legs were fucked.  Obviously the 2 minute stop then an almost 2km sprint shocked both my legs and it hurts to walk both sides.

You don't run with wireless headphones? I ran half a year without them, then bought a pair and it is indeed much more fun running while listening to music/podcasts. Convenient for answering calls too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: June 27, 2021, 04:27:24 AM »

You don't run with wireless headphones? I ran half a year without them, then bought a pair and it is indeed much more fun running while listening to music/podcasts. Also convenient to answer calls too.

Nah mate.  I never use headphones for anything.  I wouldn't feel safe out road running without hearing what's going on around me.  I just run with phone in hand with some music playing from the phone.

Don't think I could talk on the phone running either truthfully lol.