Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 190570 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2590 on: August 01, 2021, 10:16:42 AM »
Did a slow recovery 10km today (5:38 pace) but could notice a significant difference.

Slow, my ass. :lol Isn't this pace good enough to run a marathon under 4 hours?

The heat has subsided here and hopefully it'll stay this way. Ran 10km yesterday with 5:20 something pace, I think that was my best yet, 54:10 total time. It's crazy how much easier it is to run when it's not, like, 30°C in the morning.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2591 on: August 01, 2021, 03:26:19 PM »
Did a slow recovery 10km today (5:38 pace) but could notice a significant difference.

Slow, my ass. :lol Isn't this pace good enough to run a marathon under 4 hours?

The heat has subsided here and hopefully it'll stay this way. Ran 10km yesterday with 5:20 something pace, I think that was my best yet, 54:10 total time. It's crazy how much easier it is to run when it's not, like, 30°C in the morning.

Haha, I think I've just sat around similar paces now for a while so want to try and get better again.  Anything over 5.30 pace I'm a bit disappointed with truthfully.  Honestly though, I have no idea what average is for my age or what my speeds sit in terms of average runners to more competent athletes.

5.20 is a great pace mate.  It's incredible the difference weather makes.  Yesterday we had 27 degrees outside and instantly felt it.  Middle of winter and it's been around 21=22 the last couple of months.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2592 on: August 07, 2021, 05:16:37 AM »
Thursday I did calves.  I have one of two moves to go to - single standing calf raises (bodyweight only) being my usual go to.  I usually do a descending pyramid of 25-20-15-10-15 for a total of 75 reps on each leg.  Been doing this for years.

Friday morning I wake up with a LOT of tightness and pain in my foot.  No problem I figured, just some DOMS settling in.  Nope ... 2nd toe starts swelling up all day long.  Dr. Google tells me I have capsulitis - inflammation of ligaments in my second toe.  By the end of the day, all of my toes were swelling a little bit.  Took some advil, and iced it last night... swelling subsided a little bit.  Still hobbling around though.

Rest is really the only thing for it  >:(  I'll take it easy today, but am probably gonna have to work with bodyweight and/or seated movements for the next little while.  Hypertrophy training days I guess.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2593 on: August 07, 2021, 06:13:34 AM »
Thursday I did calves.  I have one of two moves to go to - single standing calf raises (bodyweight only) being my usual go to.  I usually do a descending pyramid of 25-20-15-10-15 for a total of 75 reps on each leg.  Been doing this for years.

Friday morning I wake up with a LOT of tightness and pain in my foot.  No problem I figured, just some DOMS settling in.  Nope ... 2nd toe starts swelling up all day long.  Dr. Google tells me I have capsulitis - inflammation of ligaments in my second toe.  By the end of the day, all of my toes were swelling a little bit.  Took some advil, and iced it last night... swelling subsided a little bit.  Still hobbling around though.

Rest is really the only thing for it  >:(  I'll take it easy today, but am probably gonna have to work with bodyweight and/or seated movements for the next little while.  Hypertrophy training days I guess.

Going back to my post from the other day mate, any chance your calves are just overtight?  Could stretching and maybe some deep trigger pointing do anything.  As I mentioned, that was my problem.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2594 on: August 07, 2021, 09:14:13 AM »

Going back to my post from the other day mate, any chance your calves are just overtight?  Could stretching and maybe some deep trigger pointing do anything.  As I mentioned, that was my problem.

That could be a contributor, for sure.  But my 2nd toe is a subtle shade of purple.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: August 08, 2021, 03:41:45 AM »

That could be a contributor, for sure.  But my 2nd toe is a subtle shade of purple.

Ah, that's not good mate.  :-\

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2596 on: August 08, 2021, 04:23:22 AM »
Lost around 7lb since being back at work  :tup

After the last l*ckd*wn I had gone up to 12 stone 4 which is 172 lb. Now i'm around 165.  :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2597 on: August 08, 2021, 10:32:19 AM »

Ah, that's not good mate.  :-\

I texted you a picture... it was pretty nasty last night (but you know all about nasty toes, eh mate?  :lol

Pain, swelling and redness is WAY down today.  Been taking some anti-inflammatory's, and trying to stay off it, but I got some shit around the property to get done today.

If it continues to improve, I should be working out again by tomorrow - but it'll likely be a while before I do calves again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: August 08, 2021, 03:10:13 PM »
Ah, that message was you of course.  I got your text but the pic didn't come through mate.

Good news that it's calmed down, but that indeed is a weird one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2599 on: August 08, 2021, 04:42:11 PM »
Wait..

Chad, you texted Kade a picture of...your toes??

@Kade, pic of the rash on my ass is on the way!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: August 08, 2021, 07:07:48 PM »
Don’t you have a couch to sit on or something??

Keep it up, and I’ll text it to you. :eyebrows:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: August 08, 2021, 08:38:44 PM »
Wait..

You'll get a dick pic in return then.  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2602 on: August 09, 2021, 03:41:24 AM »
Wait..

Speaking of a stubby toe… :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: August 09, 2021, 04:28:59 AM »
Wait..

Speaking of a stubby toe… :lol

:lol  Ouch!  Good one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: August 22, 2021, 03:56:42 AM »
So I had issues with my right foot, and as I posted, I fixed that.  In my attention in fixing that, I neglected the left.  Did a few big runs last weekend and ended up with a really sore left ankle.  Gave it the week off and tried a run today.  Didn't work.  Feels like fucking stress fractures in ankle or something.  Going to do a shitload of trigger work on the lower leg and the calf to try and rectify this.  Was really enjoying the running a lot, but these setbacks are so depressing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: August 22, 2021, 04:29:59 AM »
So I had issues with my right foot, and as I posted, I fixed that.  In my attention in fixing that, I neglected the left.  Did a few big runs last weekend and ended up with a really sore left ankle.  Gave it the week off and tried a run today.  Didn't work.  Feels like fucking stress fractures in ankle or something.  Going to do a shitload of trigger work on the lower leg and the calf to try and rectify this.  Was really enjoying the running a lot, but these setbacks are so depressing.

I hear ya.  I pulled something in my right trap on Friday's workout, and could barely swivel my neck from side-to-side.  Shit, I couldn't even do my ab routine at the end of the workout it was so tight.  All day Friday it felt like a spike had been driven into my middle trap.  Fortunately, it's one of those short-term things that's already starting to fade away.  But man, when you get into a groove, and then your body betrays you - fuck that's frustrating.  Gonna try to do my leg workout this morning, and hope it doesn't put too much strain on that trap.

I haven't weighed in or checked my BF in about a month or so, because fuckit....  the mirror and my workout log tells me what I need to know.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2606 on: August 22, 2021, 05:23:14 AM »
Yeah, that sucks mate.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2607 on: August 22, 2021, 07:30:54 AM »
Well, allow me to add to the collective misery of the thread. I fell hard on my mountain bike yesterday. I honestly didn't think i would even be able to get myself home after, but thankfully the adrenaline took over. I ended up going from 20km/h to a complete stop in less than 1s, and my hip took the brunt of it. I can thankfully walk with a heavy limp, but this morning my left hip is comically swollen. It looks like i gained 10lbs just on the one side of my ass overnight lol.

A doctor friend stopped in to assess me last night on his way to night shift, and he says nothing's broken. That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm likely out of commission for 3 weeks which means my big mtb trip on September long weekend won't be happening.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2608 on: August 22, 2021, 08:31:21 AM »
I’d like to give a shout-out to Mrs. T-ski for completing her first half marathon yesterday. Her goal was to finish in three hours and she did it at 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2609 on: August 22, 2021, 09:17:35 AM »
I’d like to give a shout-out to Mrs. T-ski for completing her first half marathon yesterday. Her goal was to finish in three hours and she did it at 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Congrats to her! 21km is a solid accomplishment, and even better that she bested her goal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: August 22, 2021, 09:40:09 AM »
Congrats to her! 21km is a solid accomplishment, and even better that she bested her goal

Giv'er a

from all of us

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2611 on: August 22, 2021, 01:17:55 PM »
I'd like to report NO injuries from exercising this week.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2612 on: August 22, 2021, 02:20:12 PM »
Well, allow me to add to the collective misery of the thread. I fell hard on my mountain bike yesterday. I honestly didn't think i would even be able to get myself home after, but thankfully the adrenaline took over. I ended up going from 20km/h to a complete stop in less than 1s, and my hip took the brunt of it. I can thankfully walk with a heavy limp, but this morning my left hip is comically swollen. It looks like i gained 10lbs just on the one side of my ass overnight lol.

A doctor friend stopped in to assess me last night on his way to night shift, and he says nothing's broken. That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm likely out of commission for 3 weeks which means my big mtb trip on September long weekend won't be happening.

Shit Rich, that sounds really nasty.  We can all rest up together.  :'(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: August 22, 2021, 02:21:09 PM »

We could all learn something from your rest and recovery regeime I think Tim.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: August 23, 2021, 05:25:15 AM »

We could all learn something from your rest and recovery regeime I think Tim.

He's got a point.  :lol

I chopped a shit-ton of wood this weekend - and that's not a euphemism. Probably 5 hours or so between Saturday and Sunday.  That's a helluva cardio workout I tell ya, especially when it's 30C+.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2615 on: August 29, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »
How is everyones recovery going?  My left foot is still fucked, and not sure exactly why.  Getting frustrating.  Focusing on weights and jumped back in the pool both days on the weekend which was quite nice.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: August 30, 2021, 04:55:54 AM »
My toe healed up pretty quick. Same with my trap... that was just a ‘kink’ that went away after a couple of days. I had 3 days off last week around a celebration of life for my father, and also took yesterday off just to fucking relax.

Gonna do yoga later this morning, then get back at the weights tomorrow. DOMS is the only thing I’ve really had to recover from the past couple of weeks.

Sorry to hear about your foot mate.  Sounds like the pool might be a good plan for the foreseeable future.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: August 30, 2021, 05:16:41 AM »
I just don't want to go out too early and keep injuring it.  Will take as much time off as I need.  The pool is a great and free backup so can't complain.

Good stuff for you mate with the recovery.  I have never done yoga.  I'd break in half with some of the shit I've seen them do.  Maybe it's something I'd need, I'm tight as hell everywhere.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: August 30, 2021, 06:44:04 AM »
I try to do it at least once or twice a month. It’s a nice mellow workout to break up the lifting and HIIT sessions.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2619 on: October 27, 2021, 04:40:38 AM »
To resurrect this thread:

Did my first races this summer, 7k and 5k twice. These are my results:

7k: 39:55 min (5:34/km)
5k (5.6 actually): 29:10 min (5:08/km)
5k: 26:44 min (5:16/km)

Sadly, I injured myself on 2nd 5k (started too fast, had to walk a bit) and it's been over a month now since I went running :-[ As thread title says, don't neglect rest/recovery ;) and don't run too fast too soon.

In meantime, I've been hitting gym, just started doing legs again last week and I already feel my leg getting better.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: October 27, 2021, 05:06:37 AM »
I was just thinking that this thread wasn't getting any love.

I just weighed in for the first time in a couple of months.  182.4, which is just fine, and the last time I took my BF (with callipers) I was 10.9%.  Less than a month until my 50th, at which point I'll see if I'm courageous enough to post some pics.

I also learned earlier this month that our company benefits will cover online fitness class subscriptions, so I'm going to sign up for the Athlean-X NXT program (where you get one 30-day program every month).  I've gotten 5 of his programs (purchased 3; received 2 as a bonus when buying the supplements), and love all of them.  I'm kinda stoked about these different 30-day programs, and will start them in January.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:32:03 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: October 27, 2021, 05:25:18 AM »
To resurrect this thread:

Did my first races this summer, 7k and 5k twice. These are my results:

7k: 39:55 min (5:34/km)
5k (5.6 actually): 29:10 min (5:08/km)
5k: 26:44 min (5:16/km)

Sadly, I injured myself on 2nd 5k (started too fast, had to walk a bit) and it's been over a month now since I went running :-[ As thread title says, don't neglect rest/recovery ;) and don't run too fast too soon.

In meantime, I've been hitting gym, just started doing legs again last week and I already feel my leg getting better.

Hope the injury isn't too bad mate.  Some solid times there on your runs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: October 27, 2021, 05:26:04 AM »

I just weighed in for the first time in a couple of months.  182.4, which is just fine, and the last time I took my BF (with callipers) I was 10.9%.  Less than a month until my 50th, at which point I'll see if I'm courageous enough to post some pics.

I also learned earlier this month that our company benefits will cover online fitness class subscriptions, so I'm going to sign up for the [url-https://athleanx.com/nxt]Athlean-X NXT[/url] program (where you get one 30-day program every month).  I've gotten 5 of his programs (purchased 3; received 2 as a bonus when buying the supplements), and love all of them.  I'm kinda stoked about these different 30-day programs, and will start them in January.

10.9 percent bf is bloody impressive mate.  Hope you can muster up some courage for some pics.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: October 27, 2021, 05:29:13 AM »
Actually just started running again this week.  Was out for 2 months with a real bad ankle problem.  Not exactly sure what it was, didn't get it checked but need to stop and rest if I feel something flare up.  I'm guilty of just pushing through, and I paid for it.

So hard to get back into it after no running at all for 2 months.  Did a 5km today at 5:21 pace which is solid for only my 4th run back I think.

My swimming has improved again in that two months and lots of weights so was still very active.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: October 27, 2021, 05:31:24 AM »

I also learned earlier this month that our company benefits will cover online fitness class subscriptions, so I'm going to sign up for the [url-https://athleanx.com/nxt]Athlean-X NXT[/url] program (where you get one 30-day program every month).  I've gotten 5 of his programs (purchased 3; received 2 as a bonus when buying the supplements), and love all of them.  I'm kinda stoked about these different 30-day programs, and will start them in January.

10.9 percent bf is bloody impressive mate.  Hope you can muster up some courage for some pics.

That does assume I'm taking the skinfolds properly!   :D