Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191619 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. nutrition accountability 2021
« Reply #2415 on: April 12, 2021, 02:29:26 PM »
Did something a little different yesterday.  Did 10km but split it up into two 5km sets.  Smashed out the first 5km in 4:48 average pace which is a record.  After about 10 minutes rest, another 5km at 5:37 pace.  That second 5km was so hard after the first!

Yeah wow, solid. I'm definitely not there yet. I read your post this morning and realized it's been a while since I tried to do a fast 5km. Just returned from the run, 25:06. So close to being under 25, man. I'm still happy though, I never run on Mondays usually, so that's a good result.

That being said, there's no way I could've ran 5 more km after that. You're tough.

Close enough mate, that's brilliant.  5 minutes a km is really solid, you should be stoked with that.  It's not easy hey lol!  Yeah that second 5km felt like 15km truthfully.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2416 on: April 12, 2021, 02:30:35 PM »
Good first full week on the diet. Stuck to 1600 calories a day, was able to exercise 5 of the 7 days including two ice hockey games last night. Weighed in this morning at 187 on the nose. 'Starting' weight last week was 195.3 so that was quite a drop for one week. I certainly don't expect that each week and know a lot of that was the easy weight to drop when you alter things like that....so, just going to do my best to stick to it and see this thing through. I HAVE to train myself to eat better foods.

Just from lessons I've learned mate, don't lose to quick and aggressively.  It doesn't end well if you do it long term.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2417 on: April 12, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »
This week, I’m training for size, not strength. Lower weight, slightly higher reps, going to failure, shorter rest, and absolute strict form.

I've been training more this way lately.  Completely not worried about how much I can lift and lots of volume with next to no rest.  I think I much prefer this way and am getting more out of it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2418 on: April 12, 2021, 02:42:58 PM »
Good first full week on the diet. Stuck to 1600 calories a day, was able to exercise 5 of the 7 days including two ice hockey games last night. Weighed in this morning at 187 on the nose. 'Starting' weight last week was 195.3 so that was quite a drop for one week. I certainly don't expect that each week and know a lot of that was the easy weight to drop when you alter things like that....so, just going to do my best to stick to it and see this thing through. I HAVE to train myself to eat better foods.

Protip... I remember reading something a long time ago, that the body sometimes mixes the feeling of hunger and thirst.  If you're hungry in between meals, chug some water, and wait 30 minutes.  If you're still hungry, then you're hungry.  I'll bet 50% of the time, you'll forget you were hungry.

Now that I type that... I SHOULD FOLLOW MY OWN FUCKING ADVICE ONCE AND A WHILE!!!  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: April 18, 2021, 03:03:12 AM »
Pretty epic PB today.  10km run at 5:05 average per km.  Getting fitter but damn that one really took it out of me.  Absolutely stoked though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2420 on: April 18, 2021, 06:28:39 AM »
Awesome stuff Kade.

I'm 2 months in to a p90x phase, and supposed to be on a "recovery" week.  Gonna try something I've wanted to for a while, and do a week of full-body routines - 1 move per body part; 3 days on/one day rest/3 days on.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2421 on: April 18, 2021, 07:14:07 AM »
Pretty epic PB today.  10km run at 5:05 average per km.  Getting fitter but damn that one really took it out of me.  Absolutely stoked though.

On strava now? Awesome!

Throw me a follow?
Check out my activity on Strava:
https://strava.app.link/vZLVCyjAyfb

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2422 on: April 18, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
Sure, why not.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2423 on: April 18, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
:emo: My depression has been kicking my butt lately so i've been doing a lot of comfort eating. ( Still getting in 6 miles casual walking though. Sometimes a bit more )..

But the weather has finally improved and I can get out on my motorbike and it's not cold.

So starting again tomorrow - ( Monday 19th April ) - gonna try going back on my healthy eating and long walks regime again.

:)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2424 on: April 18, 2021, 04:01:58 PM »
Sure, why not.

Damn bro, you do a heap of riding.  That 63km one looks intense.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2425 on: April 18, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »
Sure, why not.

Yeah... That's my main cup 'o tea lol. Wait until May-June. This is still early season activity levels.

The thing you'll miss without forking over the monthly subscription fee is your ranking on the leaderboard. In case you're wondering, you're 345/1100 all time on that Lake Lap segment. I imagine you could easily jump up 100 or more places if you went balls out for the 4k

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2426 on: April 18, 2021, 04:34:04 PM »
Sure, why not.

Yeah... That's my main cup 'o tea lol. Wait until May-June. This is still early season activity levels.

The thing you'll miss without forking over the monthly subscription fee is your ranking on the leaderboard. In case you're wondering, you're 345/1100 all time on that Lake Lap segment. I imagine you could easily jump up 100 or more places if you went balls out for the 4k

Ha, that's not bad!  And yeah, a 5km is a minimum run around there so a ranking like that is solid indeed.  I think the lap is 3.9km so might give it a go.  Last week a 5km around there was 4:48, so I'd have to move it.  Could go slightly faster I think with a km less.

I'm not that serious with Strava, it's only really to keep track of my own progress and that lap is the main time I use it.  Been doing some Saturday runs too in different places but through the week it's all treadmill work anyway.

Looking forward to more of your rides mate.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2427 on: May 03, 2021, 02:58:08 PM »
Protip... Dairy Queen Blizzard is NOT an effective pre-workout meal!

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2428 on: May 03, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »
I worked at a restaurant with a high level track athlete server, and she swore by frozen Oreos as her go to pre-race food. Kinda shocked me

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2429 on: May 03, 2021, 03:33:05 PM »
I worked at a restaurant with a high level track athlete server, and she swore by frozen Oreos as her go to pre-race food. Kinda shocked me

Well, I did p90x Chest/Back last night, and I've NEVER been so gassed doing it - and I wasn't doing anything horribly 'bigger' (reps or weights) than I've done in the past.  I can only chalk it up to being not appropriately fuelled.

Then again, if she ate a 27-pack of oreos, that probably would give her more fuel than the 1/2 large blizzard (about 400 cals) I had last night.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: May 03, 2021, 09:43:02 PM »

No idea what that is but I'm guessing ice cream?  Sounds like something I'd consume.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2431 on: May 04, 2021, 04:58:35 AM »

No idea what that is but I'm guessing ice cream?  Sounds like something I'd consume.

No DQ down under, eh?  Pity.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2432 on: May 04, 2021, 05:30:01 AM »
 :hefdaddy

We probably have shit like that at Cold Rock or Baskin Robbins perhaps but I don't venture to those places.  A McDonalds McFlurry will do me which somewhat similar.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2433 on: May 04, 2021, 06:36:21 AM »

We probably have shit like that at Cold Rock or Baskin Robbins perhaps but I don't venture to those places.  A McDonalds McFlurry will do me which somewhat similar.

McFlurry is a knock off of the DQ Blizzard. Still good, but not quite on the same level as a Blizzard

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2434 on: May 04, 2021, 06:47:09 AM »
My pre-run nibble is a hershey nugget. Gotta get the endorphins going.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2435 on: May 04, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »

McFlurry is a knock off of the DQ Blizzard. Still good, but not quite on the same level as a Blizzard

Exactly.  And a low quality knock off at that.  I can't remember the last time I had a McFlurry.  DQ is the go-to ice cream.  Marble Slab if we're feeling especially fiesty.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2436 on: May 04, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »

A Marble Slab opened up right beside the DQ in my neighborhood. Tough choices for ice cream now.

Exactly.  And a low quality knock off at that.  I can't remember the last time I had a McFlurry.  DQ is the go-to ice cream.  Marble Slab if we're feeling especially fiesty.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: May 04, 2021, 03:11:58 PM »

Damn, way to make me jealous.  :(

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2438 on: May 05, 2021, 06:51:49 AM »
I'm assuming Marble Slab is an east coast version of Cold Stone?

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2439 on: May 05, 2021, 07:21:00 AM »

Never heard of Cold Stone. I assume that's only in the US. Marble Slab is headquartered in Georgia, so there must be some US locations. But we definitely have them coast to coast here if Jingle has them in Toronto, too.

They sell ice cream and ice cream cakes, mostly. Honestly, probably best for your nutrition if you don't have one near you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2440 on: May 05, 2021, 07:36:24 AM »

Yes, same thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: May 06, 2021, 04:24:08 PM »
Couldn't get to the gym on Tuesday due to working late, but in the morning I decided to challenge myself on how long it would take me to do 500 pushups.  Form probably not the best for a lot of them, but I got the result.  Took around 28 minutes but I tell you all, I can't remember the last time my chest was that sore, I was shocked.  Have just recovered today.  Goes to show that the numbers on the weights doesn't really matter, it's all the effort you put in as that beat any chest session.  Or I need to up my chest sessions, which is probably the case.  Doing something different too is always a good thing however.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2442 on: May 26, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
My mom sent me an old photo from about 2 years ago. It's hard to wrap my head around. Pic on the right was taken yesterday. It's 90lbs exactly between the two photos.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 02:57:29 PM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2443 on: May 26, 2021, 02:44:23 PM »
That's awesome Brian  :tup  That's a lot of hard work.

Although I don't know how you do it considering all the mouth watering pics you post of the smoking/BBQing you do  :lol 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: May 26, 2021, 04:30:08 PM »
My mom sent me an old photo from about 2 years ago. It's hard to wrap my head around. Pic on the right was taken yesterday. It's 90lbs exactly between the two photos.

Holy hell!! That's incredible mate!  A massive achievement, you should be so proud.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2445 on: May 26, 2021, 05:00:53 PM »
Couldn't get to the gym on Tuesday due to working late, but in the morning I decided to challenge myself on how long it would take me to do 500 pushups.  Form probably not the best for a lot of them, but I got the result.  Took around 28 minutes but I tell you all, I can't remember the last time my chest was that sore, I was shocked.  Have just recovered today.  Goes to show that the numbers on the weights doesn't really matter, it's all the effort you put in as that beat any chest session.  Or I need to up my chest sessions, which is probably the case.  Doing something different too is always a good thing however.

Challenge accepted!  On the weekend I wrap up my p90x cycle*.  On my 'in-between' week, I'll take the 500 pushup challenge and see if I can beat ya!  Wonder what it'd be like for 100 pullups?

@ Chino.... bitchin'!  Well done pal.

Just under 6 months until my 50th, and personal challenge of getting in the best shape of my life.  Well, I'm already there (and have been for a while), so I had to get a little more objective and prescriptive on my goals - and even some of those I've already met.

* - really happy with my gains - I started taking Testosterone supplements, and I think those are making a contribution to my gains

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2446 on: May 27, 2021, 05:49:14 AM »
Thanks dudes  :tup

Although I don't know how you do it considering all the mouth watering pics you post of the smoking/BBQing you do  :lol 

Like most of my hobbies, I get more joy out of the process rather than the end result. Despite what my Instagram feed looks like, I don't actually consume that much BBQ. I just love cooking and sharing it. If you take steaks out of the equation, I bet for every $1 worth of BBQ I actually eat, I give $8-$10 away to family and friends that I invite over. I like the atmosphere that BBQing creates more than the food itself. Also, I'm of the mind that if I'm going to be burning X amount of wood and sitting outside all day anyway, what's the point in cooking a single rack of ribs? Might as well fill the grill.

Mac and Cheese is the real bitch though. I could take or leave the meat once I start getting full, but I'm a gluttonous p.o.s when it comes to that stuff  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2447 on: May 27, 2021, 06:02:00 AM »

Challenge accepted!  On the weekend I wrap up my p90x cycle*.  On my 'in-between' week, I'll take the 500 pushup challenge and see if I can beat ya!  Wonder what it'd be like for 100 pullups?

@ Chino.... bitchin'!  Well done pal.

Just under 6 months until my 50th, and personal challenge of getting in the best shape of my life.  Well, I'm already there (and have been for a while), so I had to get a little more objective and prescriptive on my goals - and even some of those I've already met.

* - really happy with my gains - I started taking Testosterone supplements, and I think those are making a contribution to my gains

What supplements mate and why are you taking them if you don't mind me asking.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2448 on: May 27, 2021, 07:00:21 AM »
Testogen.  And while I didn’t get an actual diagnosis, I’ve felt I have low testosterone for quite some time, and it’s certainly a natural part of aging. I was taking another brand a couple of years ago, but this brand is one of the more highly rated ones from the research I did - and higher priced!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: May 27, 2021, 02:07:48 PM »
Something I have to look forward to. There's actually been a few times in the past where I've questioned my own and thought something might be low.  Things seem to recover but I'm finding as I get older the importance of diet, stress and sleep.  Have to be more maticulos as time goes on.