Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 196390 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. nutrition accountability 2021
« Reply #2450 on: May 30, 2021, 04:58:27 AM »
Been doing an insane amount of running lately.  This week I've run between 6-10km each morning before work.  It's just so addicting.  There's something about waking up, dragging your ass out of bed and going out at sunrise and running 8-10km's.  It's challenging, lonely, daunting and just tests you mentally. 

Today was a big one though, 15km at an average of 5:17 per km.  1 hour 19 minutes and 19 seconds.  Getting fitter and can go longer while holding a good pace.  Although, I can't eat enough to not lose weight.  I've upped my carbs and resulted to cereals just to get calories in.  Getting enough calories in protein, veg and oats just wasn't doing it.  I'm needing way more simple sugars to fit more in and not drop weight.  It still drops though and I don't want to lose anymore truthfully.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2451 on: May 30, 2021, 05:35:35 AM »
Been doing an insane amount of running lately.  This week I've run between 6-10km each morning before work.  It's just so addicting.  There's something about waking up, dragging your ass out of bed and going out at sunrise and running 8-10km's.  It's challenging, lonely, daunting and just tests you mentally. 

Today was a big one though, 15km at an average of 5:17 per km.  1 hour 19 minutes and 19 seconds.  Getting fitter and can go longer while holding a good pace.  Although, I can't eat enough to not lose weight.  I've upped my carbs and resulted to cereals just to get calories in.  Getting enough calories in protein, veg and oats just wasn't doing it.  I'm needing way more simple sugars to fit more in and not drop weight.  It still drops though and I don't want to lose anymore truthfully.
Do you refuel at all during your runs? On my rides I end up eating back 1/3 to 1/2 of my calorie burn on the ride just to maintain performance, and I find this slows the weight loss vs. periods where I don't refuel as much on the bike (usually by design if I'm trying to lose)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2452 on: May 30, 2021, 07:39:28 AM »
Been doing an insane amount of running lately.  This week I've run between 6-10km each morning before work.  It's just so addicting.  There's something about waking up, dragging your ass out of bed and going out at sunrise and running 8-10km's slapping some iron around.  It's challenging, lonely, daunting and just tests you mentally. 

Fix'd for me.  Did Legs & Back this morning.  1h10m of various squats, lunges, calf raises and pullups.  I've been doing early morning workouts a couple times a week lately, and hating/loving it at the same time.  It's a chore to mentally get ready, but I feel great after I'm done.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2453 on: May 30, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »
Nice work, Chino!  That's awesome.  :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: May 30, 2021, 02:43:08 PM »

Do you refuel at all during your runs? On my rides I end up eating back 1/3 to 1/2 of my calorie burn on the ride just to maintain performance, and I find this slows the weight loss vs. periods where I don't refuel as much on the bike (usually by design if I'm trying to lose)

No, I don't eat anything mid run and the morning runs are fasted.  Don't even take water just my phone.  I don't know if I could stomach any food mid run honestly.  I even force myself something to eat when I get back.  Have to make more of an effort.  My strength in the gym has maintained which is a good sign, but I have to be careful.

Been doing an insane amount of running lately.  This week I've run between 6-10km each morning before work.  It's just so addicting.  There's something about waking up, dragging your ass out of bed and going out at sunrise and running 8-10km's slapping some iron around.  It's challenging, lonely, daunting and just tests you mentally. 

Fix'd for me.  Did Legs & Back this morning.  1h10m of various squats, lunges, calf raises and pullups.  I've been doing early morning workouts a couple times a week lately, and hating/loving it at the same time.  It's a chore to mentally get ready, but I feel great after I'm done.

Exactly.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: June 03, 2021, 07:53:43 PM »
Couldn't get to the gym on Tuesday due to working late, but in the morning I decided to challenge myself on how long it would take me to do 500 pushups.  Form probably not the best for a lot of them, but I got the result. 
Challenge accepted! 

Kade, you're a bugger.  I just finished 'em.  Kinda glad I had the challenge, and a goal in mind.  It had been a long evening of doing stuff around the house, and would've been very easy just to pack it in, but tonight was Chest in the schedule, so I was determined to hammer those suckers out.

26:01.  :fistpump:

But idiot me didn't count properly, and that was only 400 pushups.  How the hell did you hammer out 500 in 28 minutes!?!?!

My form was pretty strict (at least, it was 100% consistent start to finish - nose to the ground; elbow lockout) all the way through, although I was doing speed pushups.  Tracking my progress:

Reps - Time
100 - 3:30
150 - 6:30
190 - 10:00
255 - 15:00
320 - 20:00
400 - 26:01

Next challenge ... 100 burpees.  I'll let ya know when I do it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2456 on: June 03, 2021, 08:35:08 PM »
Kade, i noticed you joined the 300km strava challenge. That's a big one. What's your strategy? Run 10k a day for the 30?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2457 on: June 04, 2021, 05:10:32 PM »
Couldn't get to the gym on Tuesday due to working late, but in the morning I decided to challenge myself on how long it would take me to do 500 pushups.  Form probably not the best for a lot of them, but I got the result. 
Challenge accepted! 

Kade, you're a bugger.  I just finished 'em.  Kinda glad I had the challenge, and a goal in mind.  It had been a long evening of doing stuff around the house, and would've been very easy just to pack it in, but tonight was Chest in the schedule, so I was determined to hammer those suckers out.

26:01.  :fistpump:

But idiot me didn't count properly, and that was only 400 pushups.  How the hell did you hammer out 500 in 28 minutes!?!?!

My form was pretty strict (at least, it was 100% consistent start to finish - nose to the ground; elbow lockout) all the way through, although I was doing speed pushups.  Tracking my progress:

Reps - Time
100 - 3:30
150 - 6:30
190 - 10:00
255 - 15:00
320 - 20:00
400 - 26:01

Next challenge ... 100 burpees.  I'll let ya know when I do it.

Solid effort.  I'd say though my form as it went one definitely wasn't as strict.  Probably would add a lot more time if I did each one properly.  Definitely not nose to ground though as it went on.  If you did that strict for 400, that's fucking amazing.  It was something fun and different though as a workout.

Burpees.......I fucking loathe them.  Absolute calorie shredder of an exercise though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: June 04, 2021, 05:18:13 PM »
Kade, i noticed you joined the 300km strava challenge. That's a big one. What's your strategy? Run 10k a day for the 30?

Hey Rich,

You probably won't believe the story but over the last couple of weeks I started doing some runs before work.  Last week though I ended up doing one every morning and by Friday knocked out a 10km.  My routine has been monotonous and been going through a bit of groundhog day with work etc.  Was finding it tougher and tougher to get out of bed and get to work everyday.  Decided something needed to change and that's where I thought a morning run might help.

Anyway, the effect has been positive and I thought last Friday, "I wonder if I can do 10km every day for the month on June."  Did a 5km evening run on the treadmill and immediately got up on the 1st and did a difficult 10km.  2nd of June as I was running I thought it was an impossible task I set.  Then looking through my Strava feed and mulling around I found challenges and saw 300km for the month of June! "Get the fuck out of here," I thought and was questioning it after the run on day 2 so immediately joined.

But to cut the bullshit, yeah 10km a day I think is the strategy, as daunting as that sounds.  My main goal though is to keep consistent pace.  Each day so far my average pace has been 5:32, 5:28, 5:28, 5:29 and today being Saturday had no time constraints and did a 12km at 5:27 average per km.  52km in 5 days at that average pace I'm happy with, just don't want it to slip.  That volume is something I've never done even on the treadmill, nowhere near it.  If I can front load some km's like today baking 2km, that will be good moving forward mentally.  Not trying to compete with anyone in the rankings, but excited to get it done.

I will add, my hamstrings aren't coping very well so far, and weight sessions this week were all upper body.  I don't see how I'd be able to do a heavy leg day a week, the next days run would be impossible.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2459 on: June 04, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »
Honestly, the overall rankings on those challenges are bogus. At least the cycling ones are. People will have 50hrs and 5000km after the first 12 hrs of the challenge. I join the 400 or 800km riding challenge each month just for goal setting. I don't even bother with those leaderboards either.

Good on you, Kade. 300km in a month is big mileage. You could train for a marathon and run less than that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: June 04, 2021, 08:21:14 PM »
Honestly, the overall rankings on those challenges are bogus. At least the cycling ones are. People will have 50hrs and 5000km after the first 12 hrs of the challenge. I join the 400 or 800km riding challenge each month just for goal setting. I don't even bother with those leaderboards either.

Good on you, Kade. 300km in a month is big mileage. You could train for a marathon and run less than that.

I did have a look at the people at the top, like 190km in the first 3 days?  WTF?  Seriously?!  I did question and had the same though and surely thought some were bullshit.  Not sure what they have to prove by doing that.  And yeah, I think goal setting is the main reason.  Not sure exact the goal long term but making sure I'm making progress in any way I think is key.  I should stop being a tightass too and subscribe to get full features of the app.

Yeah, it's a bit daunting the amount but I've already done a sixth so I'll keep going.  Have to learn to force feed myself at times too, that's a slight issue.

Thanks for following Rich, you've done some nice rides yourself, some of those elevations must be brutal on the legs.  Lots of frequency too in your rides.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2461 on: June 04, 2021, 10:14:17 PM »
Lol thanks. Wait until you see Sunday's ride. That one will be a doozy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: June 05, 2021, 03:16:43 AM »
Lol thanks. Wait until you see Sunday's ride. That one will be a doozy

Yeah nice, can't wait.  Go and crush it mate!  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: June 05, 2021, 05:39:03 AM »
Man, the commentary of 10km/day being brutal just puts what Terry Fox did - ON ONE FUCKING LEG - absolutely mind bending.

And it's funny, I knew a guy 20 years ago by the name of Larry Schecter, so I always pictured you as a "Larry"  :lol .  Stupid, I know.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: June 05, 2021, 06:01:20 AM »
Man, the commentary of 10km/day being brutal just puts what Terry Fox did - ON ONE FUCKING LEG - absolutely mind bending.

And it's funny, I knew a guy 20 years ago by the name of Larry Schecter, so I always pictured you as a "Larry"  :lol .  Stupid, I know.

I had to goggle this guy.  What a beast!  Running a marathon a day across the country with an artificial leg.  And I'm bitching about 10km a day?!  Pfft, where's my shoes?!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: June 05, 2021, 06:45:17 AM »

I had to goggle this guy.  What a beast!  Running a marathon a day across the country with an artificial leg.  And I'm bitching about 10km a day?!  Pfft, where's my shoes?!

Not only for the physical accomplishments during the Marathon of Hope, but his legacy is even more enormous - as of last year, over $800M has been raised in his name for cancer research.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: June 05, 2021, 07:19:57 AM »

Not only for the physical accomplishments during the Marathon of Hope, but his legacy is even more enormous - as of last year, over $800M has been raised in his name for cancer research.

Every step he took was worthwhile then.  Outstanding.  What an inspiration.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2467 on: June 05, 2021, 07:41:53 AM »

Yeah... Schechter is the brand of guitars i fancy lol. Larry is similar to my last name, so there's some serious validity to your point though.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2468 on: June 05, 2021, 09:25:36 PM »
My 5 year old son watched part of an Athlean-X video with me. Now he says i need a better "muscle pack" so i can be like the guy in the video. So i guess the new standard for aesthetics in the house is internet fitness influencer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: June 06, 2021, 03:28:55 AM »
My 5 year old son watched part of an Athlean-X video with me. Now he says i need a better "muscle pack" so i can be like the guy in the video. So i guess the new standard for aesthetics in the house is internet fitness influencer.

Ha!  Kids say the darndest things!

Jeff is shredded to the shithouse though, holy hell!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: June 06, 2021, 03:31:24 AM »
Usual Sunday run that I look forward to I actually dreaded today funnily enough.  I went out there just wanting to get it over with and came up with a PB.  10km and an average pace of 5:05.  Solid.  Truth be told it absolutely wrecked me though.  Will try and get to bed a little earlier and no idea how I'm going to get up Monday morning and do that again.  8 degrees tomorrow morning too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: June 06, 2021, 05:28:43 AM »

I'll give him (Jeff) this... the 6-pack shuffle access that you get with any of his programs fucking works.  I've done 3 of his programs, and do a 6-pack routine 3 days a week with cardio, and like I said, it works. 

Weigh-in this morning ... 173.6 - and I haven't even been trying to lose weight - if anything, I've been trying to increase my cals cuz I want to put some muscle on.  The scale says I'm 13.6 BF; skinfold calipers say 11.1%.  I'll take the latter - cuz what I see in the mirror doesn't seem like I would be in the 13% range.

Gonna go do legs in an hour or so.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2472 on: June 06, 2021, 02:32:18 PM »
Ughhh. Hit something on my ride today. So now 2/3 bikes are in the shop. Sad to say, but i might end up back on my indoor bike for a while.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: June 06, 2021, 04:09:34 PM »
Ughhh. Hit something on my ride today. So now 2/3 bikes are in the shop. Sad to say, but i might end up back on my indoor bike for a while.

That's gutting mate.  :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2474 on: June 06, 2021, 04:10:27 PM »

I'll give him (Jeff) this... the 6-pack shuffle access that you get with any of his programs fucking works.  I've done 3 of his programs, and do a 6-pack routine 3 days a week with cardio, and like I said, it works. 

Weigh-in this morning ... 173.6 - and I haven't even been trying to lose weight - if anything, I've been trying to increase my cals cuz I want to put some muscle on.  The scale says I'm 13.6 BF; skinfold calipers say 11.1%.  I'll take the latter - cuz what I see in the mirror doesn't seem like I would be in the 13% range.

Gonna go do legs in an hour or so.

Might be time for some pics soon by the sounds.  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: June 06, 2021, 04:13:07 PM »
11km at 5:37 pace this morning.  Had a binge of Ben and Jerrys and Krispy Kreme last night and getting up and running within 10 hours of eating all that shit was the worst move ever.  Almost had to stop on the run a couple of times to vomit, seriously lol.  Definitely slowed me down though for sure.  Still losing weight though which is concerning, not sure how to combat it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2476 on: June 06, 2021, 06:06:00 PM »
11km at 5:37 pace this morning.  Had a binge of Ben and Jerrys and Krispy Kreme last night and getting up and running within 10 hours of eating all that shit was the worst move ever.  Almost had to stop on the run a couple of times to vomit, seriously lol.  Definitely slowed me down though for sure.  Still losing weight though which is concerning, not sure how to combat it.

You could start by stop running. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: June 06, 2021, 06:42:46 PM »

I asked for that.  :lol

One day mate when we meet I'll take you for a run, will be glorious! :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2478 on: June 06, 2021, 06:50:50 PM »

You can jog along side my car! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: June 06, 2021, 06:58:50 PM »

That fuckin blows!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: June 06, 2021, 07:12:50 PM »

You can jog along side my car! :lol

:lol Sounds like fun!

I can be Jerry Seinfeld and you can be Izzy Mandelbaum. (Chad will get this, I know you won't)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2481 on: June 06, 2021, 07:15:13 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: June 06, 2021, 07:17:48 PM »
Exactly!  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: June 07, 2021, 04:45:53 AM »
IT'S GO TIME!!!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2484 on: June 08, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »
Frustration rant:

I'm an idiot who stacked arm and leg exercises together (i.e. curls with deadlift during the 'rest' period) on the heels of a string of days mountain biking which devastates the forearms. Now I've been dealing with a forearm strain for the last 2 weeks that hurts so much I can't even make a hard fist. Lifting a weight is absolutely out of the question at this point. I've been nearly completely resting it for the past week, and there's improvement; but not being able to do any resistance training is really starting to wear on me. Completely my fault, which is making this worse.