Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!  (Read 265747 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!
« Reply #2800 on: June 14, 2015, 09:44:55 AM »
Did somebody say NAKED ?!

:coolio

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2801 on: June 14, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2802 on: June 14, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
Good afternoon.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2803 on: June 14, 2015, 02:45:35 PM »
Yo
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2804 on: June 14, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
Afternoon guys. Just got home from the vet with the puppy. She was just spayed, now sleeping. I'm having a quiet day on the couch as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2805 on: June 14, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
I think my back tyre needs air. Back end feels a bit ..."wandery".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2806 on: June 14, 2015, 03:38:51 PM »
Afternoon guys. Just got home from the vet with the puppy. She was just spayed, now sleeping. I'm having a quiet day on the couch as well.

:laugh:

Rain on my ride into work. Sunny on the ride home so went for a cruise. Worked out i'm getting about 170 miles per tank :)

FUNNY STORY : Since i figured this out - I calculated that my next fill up would be on 27620 miles (roughly)

As i was watching my mileometer tick over - I shit you not - as it went from 27619 9 to 27620 0 - the bike spluttered and ran out of petrol :lol

I literally could not have been more exact.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2807 on: June 14, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »
I think my back tyre needs air. Back end feels a bit ..."wandery".

Check it out, I check my bike pressure all the time, I'm a bit paranoid about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: June 14, 2015, 03:49:10 PM »
:lol haha "wandery"..

Later That Day

...yeahhhh It was a puncture. I didn't realise and drove to town. It went from being a bit wandery to being a lot crashy.

:lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: June 14, 2015, 05:38:13 PM »
Haha

I'm about to finally see Age of Ultron.

That's 3 movies in a week for me.

(which is more than I see in a 3 month time most of the time.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2810 on: June 14, 2015, 05:56:41 PM »
:lol haha "wandery"..

Later That Day

...yeahhhh It was a puncture. I didn't realise and drove to town. It went from being a bit wandery to being a lot crashy.

You can also patch motorcycle tires in case you don't know depending on where the puncture is.

Haha

I'm about to finally see Age of Ultron.

That's 3 movies in a week for me.

(which is more than I see in a 3 month time most of the time.

I only go out and see like 5 movies a year, I don't know why but I'm not really drawn to the theater.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2811 on: June 15, 2015, 12:53:49 AM »
Good times. Unity just ass-raped my entire project and now it doesn't work. Now I have to figure out the best option to recover from least pain-in-the-ass to most pain-in-the-ass (least pain-in-the-ass probably being to revert to my backup from a week or so ago).

edit: Ok, it looks like a quick fix from the internet actually worked and all is well. :D
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2812 on: June 15, 2015, 07:28:31 AM »
Good morning, peoples.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2813 on: June 15, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »
Today I sit in my cubicle and ponder turning on all of my college education, leaving the corporate world, and starting a paving company.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2814 on: June 15, 2015, 07:42:20 AM »
Today I sit in my cubicle and ponder turning on all of my college education, leaving the corporate world, and starting a paving company.
If it would make you happy, and you can make a living doing it, then go for it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2815 on: June 15, 2015, 07:45:04 AM »
Do it.

But just know, you'll need something bigger than your Mini...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2816 on: June 15, 2015, 07:54:33 AM »

I think it would. My entire life I've always been a hands-on/mechanical/trade kind of guy. I ended up where I am now because getting a college education and making money was what was stressed to me my entire life. I wouldn't say my dad forced it on me. He took me to look at trade schools and whatnot when I was looking at high school, but seeing him make $150k+ per year lead me to trust what he said about school. He wasn't wrong, but it's definitely clear that the corporate environment isn't for me in the least. Don't get me wrong. I make good money and the job security I have is really appealing, but the thought of sitting in front of computer screens with limited access to the outdoors for the next 40+ years is absolutely dreadful. It's all I can focus on most days.

My girlfriend's family has really changed my line of thinking in regards to work. Everyone in her family, on both sides, owns paving companies. Some do residential, some to commercial, some do public transit, some will do anything. Their companies double as plowing services come winter. No one in her family is hurting. Every family has at least three kids and the smallest house is about 3400 square feet. It would not be hard for me to learn the trade from her father and uncles (who have offered to let me work if I wanted to) and branch out on my own in a few years. Her father is super relatable to me. He went to college for business, worked at Aetna (rival insurance company) two years, and then went to work for his wife's brother's paving company once he decided he couldn't stand being behind a desk. He managed to put three girls through school on his own and has a really nice house in Brookfield CT. He'd respect my decision and would be totally onboard (I think) with helping me get my own paving business going. I also live far enough away where I wouldn't be impacting any of their businesses in regards to potential customers.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2817 on: June 15, 2015, 08:22:56 AM »
Sounds good.

The "not living close enough to be a competitor" is key.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2818 on: June 15, 2015, 09:18:04 AM »

I think it would. My entire life I've always been a hands-on/mechanical/trade kind of guy. I ended up where I am now because getting a college education and making money was what was stressed to me my entire life. I wouldn't say my dad forced it on me. He took me to look at trade schools and whatnot when I was looking at high school, but seeing him make $150k+ per year lead me to trust what he said about school. He wasn't wrong, but it's definitely clear that the corporate environment isn't for me in the least. Don't get me wrong. I make good money and the job security I have is really appealing, but the thought of sitting in front of computer screens with limited access to the outdoors for the next 40+ years is absolutely dreadful. It's all I can focus on most days.

My girlfriend's family has really changed my line of thinking in regards to work. Everyone in her family, on both sides, owns paving companies. Some do residential, some to commercial, some do public transit, some will do anything. Their companies double as plowing services come winter. No one in her family is hurting. Every family has at least three kids and the smallest house is about 3400 square feet. It would not be hard for me to learn the trade from her father and uncles (who have offered to let me work if I wanted to) and branch out on my own in a few years. Her father is super relatable to me. He went to college for business, worked at Aetna (rival insurance company) two years, and then went to work for his wife's brother's paving company once he decided he couldn't stand being behind a desk. He managed to put three girls through school on his own and has a really nice house in Brookfield CT. He'd respect my decision and would be totally onboard (I think) with helping me get my own paving business going. I also live far enough away where I wouldn't be impacting any of their businesses in regards to potential customers.

I thought that the corporate life was for me when I finished school but when I did finish school and started work it wasn't for me. I know manage a hotel that I'm buying at the end of the year, it's hands on and fairly small but the work is much more rewarding. I'm my own boss making my own money. It's not glamours but it's good work.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2819 on: June 15, 2015, 09:41:40 AM »
How did you segue from a corporate environment to hotel management?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:58:41 AM by Chino »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: June 15, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
Reaper has a Segway? Neat! I've always wanted to ride one of those things. I bet that helped with his segue to hotel management.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: June 15, 2015, 09:54:57 AM »

You can also patch motorcycle tires in case you don't know depending on where the puncture is.

:tup Dad says it will be a pain to remove the tyre so we might just take the wheel off and take it to a garage.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2822 on: June 15, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »
Reaper has a Segway? Neat! I've always wanted to ride one of those things. I bet that helped with his segue to hotel management.

Shit lol. Nice find. I was having a conversation about segways literally two minutes before typing that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2823 on: June 15, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »
Did your conversation segue into segways ? :neverusethis:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: June 15, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »

Shit lol. Nice find. I was having a conversation about segways literally two minutes before typing that.

King has me well trained to pointing out typos. :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2825 on: June 15, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2826 on: June 15, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »

King has me well trained to pointing out typos. :lol

I'm infecting you all. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2827 on: June 15, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »
Fuck, it's hot outside.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: June 15, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
It's 60 degrees, overcast, and a tad humid.

I love it.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
Fuck, it's hot outside.

Keep that down south please.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2830 on: June 15, 2015, 11:26:58 AM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: June 15, 2015, 11:27:41 AM »
OH

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2832 on: June 15, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
They say that after you give them the ring.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: June 15, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
Oh :(

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: June 15, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »
How did you segue from a corporate environment to hotel management?

Well I just quit lol. I had some good savings and I was trading as well. I ended up moving back to my hometown and I asked if my buddies family would let me rent one of their apartments for a few months so I didn't have to commit to a year lease elsewhere. My buddies dad owned a hotel next door to the apartment and said he'd work a deal with me where I would watch the hotel for him while his family left for the summer and he'd cut me a deal on rent. I eventually became the manager of the place.

A few years pass and I'm growing tired of working at the hotel, I hate the city and wanted a change of pace plus my boss is getting old and is planning to sell the hotel anyway. He ended up approaching me and asked if I would be interested in buying a part of the business and he keeps a portion (I couldn't afford all of it). I still hate the city but since the wheels are in motion of purchasing the property I have a renewed sense of purpose and I have my own ideas and plans for it.