Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!  (Read 265755 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!
« Reply #1680 on: April 30, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »
Morning.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1681 on: April 30, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
Evening
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1682 on: April 30, 2015, 10:04:13 PM »
Hey Jay

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1683 on: May 01, 2015, 12:13:18 AM »
Today has been an interesting day.. had a great evening at bowling but thinking about my dad, who was killed 6 yrs ago today, started getting to me. I just took a shot in his memory.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1684 on: May 01, 2015, 12:43:53 AM »
:hug:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: May 01, 2015, 01:12:32 AM »
And instead of sleeping for my shift in 7 hours, I'm dealing with work related bs via texting.  Oh my life.  Lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1686 on: May 01, 2015, 01:35:15 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jay.  Oh, and sorry I didn't respond right away, I fell asleep at work.  Today is my last day on this infernal night shift. I actually have my weekends back finally. 

What's up Blob?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: May 01, 2015, 01:37:50 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jay.  Oh, and sorry I didn't respond right away, I fell asleep at work.  Today is my last day on this infernal night shift. I actually have my weekends back finally. 

What's up Blob?

Have fun adjusting back. When I managed to get back into a half normal pattern after weeks of waking up at 5pm, I felt like crap for a week or two, then came good.
I was out for a couple of hours today, so I haven't done much yet, but I'm writing the music for my video.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1688 on: May 01, 2015, 01:45:21 AM »
Well I've felt like crap for the last 6 months or so, so it can only go up from here.   :lol   You were out?  Sticking your head out the window doesn't constitute as going out. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: May 01, 2015, 01:55:05 AM »
Well I've felt like crap for the last 6 months or so, so it can only go up from here.   :lol   You were out?  Sticking your head out the window doesn't constitute as going out. 

SINCE WHEN?!

I actually went out to have a burrito and check out a new shop I hadn't been in yet that sells all nerd stuff. It was a good store, but too much Wars, and not enough Trek. :blob:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1690 on: May 01, 2015, 02:00:26 AM »
 :lol

I remember there being quite a few cool stores like that here years ago, but now I think there may be one or two at the most.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: May 01, 2015, 02:13:17 AM »
There aren't many other stores that sell that kind of stuff around here. Often I have to either wait for conventions or order stuff online.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1692 on: May 01, 2015, 03:39:17 AM »
Morning.  Getting ready to leave for a 7 1/2 hour drive to meet up with Nick & Dr. DTVT for RoSfest.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: May 01, 2015, 03:41:14 AM »
Nice! Have a great time. Remember to post a pic with them :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: May 01, 2015, 03:43:01 AM »
You know it.  Easy post at Facebook.  I'll ask Nick if he's start a thread.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: May 01, 2015, 04:49:46 AM »

One for all the boffins / Blobs in the thread :blob:

Me in the early 80s with an Acorn Electron !  :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: May 01, 2015, 05:00:04 AM »
LOOK AT THAT DWEEB KID AND HIS DWEEBY COMPUTER........... oh hi Kotowboy!

Back when my friend lived with his parents, his garage was a museum of old computers. The oldest was his father's Microbee (very early 1980s), and then he had everything upwards.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: May 01, 2015, 05:03:05 AM »
there's a really old shop in town which has some of the very first home computers which had a WHOPPING 32kb of memory :lol

I don't even know what that would be in today's standards ? One text document ? maybe even less ? A midi sound ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: May 01, 2015, 05:05:34 AM »
32kb would be a few full pages of a text document, or a substantial MIDI file. Last I recall, our DTF avatars are allowed to be up to 20kb to be stored on the server, so it would also get you a small image in jpg format.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: May 01, 2015, 05:10:53 AM »
Did you ever have programs on cassette that you had to load up ?

The sound it made was similar to the dial up modem sound. But for the entire loading.  :lol

Programs and games on floppy disc were a novelty on the Acorn Electron.

I just stuck to writing programs myself in BASIC :blob:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: May 01, 2015, 05:15:08 AM »
Oh lawdy no, I'm not that old. :lol And we were way behind on computers in my house too.
The first computer we ever had was an Amiga 500 we were given with about 2-300 3.5" floppy disks. No hard drive in that one, but it had a whole megabyte of ram! This would have been in 1997, just to give an indication of how behind we were. :lol
Our first IBM compatible machine was a 286 not long after that, that we were also given for free, probably the same year. It had 1mb of RAM and about a 100Mb HDD. We used to play Commander Keen 4 and Stunts on it mostly.

It wasn't until 2000 that I was finally given (there's a distinct pattern here) a computer that ran Windows; a Pentium 133.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: May 01, 2015, 05:22:25 AM »
I'm not that old either  !  :angry:

:biggrin: I didn't get my first computer in my own room with the internet until 2009 !!! Plus that was my first iMac too.

Before that we had various Windows PCs which we mainly used for messing about on - using Creative Labs audio Wave editors to cut up Presidential Speeches to make them say naughty things  :rollin.

Oh and I always forget I used to have an Amstrad PCW 8256. With a dot matrix printer ! :D I loved that thing. I used it for Desktop Publishing and Word Processing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: May 01, 2015, 05:29:26 AM »
Oh I remember the good times that were had when Windows got the built in speech synthesizer. Actually, our Amiga 500 also had a pretty good speech synthesizer. I'm playing around with an online one right now. It never stops being funny. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: May 01, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: May 01, 2015, 05:35:53 AM »
Oh I remember the good times that were had when Windows got the built in speech synthesizer. Actually, our Amiga 500 also had a pretty good speech synthesizer. I'm playing around with an online one right now. It never stops being funny. :lol

Oh of course we made it say naughty things but that lasts about a minute. My sense of humour has always been more childish and surreal so I prefer hearing robots say stupid things instead of rude. :p

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: May 01, 2015, 05:41:06 AM »

Oh of course we made it say naughty things but that lasts about a minute. My sense of humour has always been more childish and surreal so I prefer hearing robots say stupid things instead of rude. :p

Me too. Hearing a computer say the F word wears off pretty quickly. I prefer finding a funny voice, and writing up something that fits that voice.

Ok, it still usually involves talking about feces, because I'm very childish. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1706 on: May 01, 2015, 06:10:35 AM »
Morning.

Today will a tough one for the family.  My wife's grandmother passed away a few days ago, and today is the funeral.  My wife and I are performing a song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: May 01, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »
 :sadpanda: Hope it all goes smoothly for you. :hug:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1708 on: May 01, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »
:sadpanda: Hope it all goes smoothly for you. :hug:
I'll be fine, and I'm not worried about my wife or my youngest daughter, but my oldest may be in rough shape, and other members of the extended family.

She was one hell of an old lady.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1709 on: May 01, 2015, 07:46:33 AM »
My condolences, my friend.  I was a mess when my grandmother died a couple of years ago.  Being the oldest of the cousins, I was the closest to her. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: May 01, 2015, 08:23:05 AM »
Morning.

Today will a tough one for the family.  My wife's grandmother passed away a few days ago, and today is the funeral.  My wife and I are performing a song.

Our condolences from the Callahan family.  Our thoughts are with your family.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: May 01, 2015, 11:08:10 AM »
Wooooohooooo

My day has been made. Had a bunch of schedule shit to take care of at work... but then I found out that one of the other Assistant Supervisors, who has been out on Medical Leave for several months, is officially on the schedule... albeit just part time. She actually came by and hung out for an hour in the office and we caught up. Besides being a coworker, she is also a good friend of mine so it was awesome to get to see her again.

Morning.

*brohug*

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: May 01, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
I have been hooked on playing DiRT Rally, I haven't been this sucked into a racing game since Gran Turismo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: May 01, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »
Hey everyone. Just been to see the bike i'm going to be owning as of next week. My first set of wheels for legal road use !!!

Any petrol heads in ? it's a Yamaha SR 125 :) Black.

Doing my Compulsory Basic Training on Monday then should be ready to drive it as soon as I get insured ! :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1714 on: May 01, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
I have been hooked on playing DiRT Rally, I haven't been this sucked into a racing game since Gran Turismo.

I LOVED Gran Turismo 3. Loved it. My friend and I used to do 2 hour races - just take over from each other every half an hour. So much fun. :)