Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 490599 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater was allegedly in the Studio February - To Be Continued
« Reply #2415 on: July 02, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
My top 3 :
Octavarium
Scenes From A Memory
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

My bottom 3 :

Systematic Chaos
Awake
When Dream And Day Unite

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2416 on: July 02, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
SFaM is not in my top 5 or bottom 5. A middle-of-the-pack album for me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2417 on: July 02, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »
I'm one of the few who can agree with ariich on that - bottom 4 for me too  :angel:

Hmmm....musical taste is so random....

DT haven't topped SFAM since SDOIT, and I have no expectation of that happening again.

I've enjoyed DT's releases since SDOIT but I'll agree that every album since hasn't been up to that type of level. I love the last two more than the previous two before them, SDOIT may have been the summit.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2418 on: July 02, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »
I however think that Octavarium was their last properly great album.

Although A Dramatic Turn Of Events comes close. It just needed a nicer all around production.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: July 02, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »
DT haven't topped SFAM since SDOIT, and I have no expectation of that happening again.

Pretty much. Some songs have come close in quality, but no album as a whole has gotten close to that caliber.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2420 on: July 02, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2421 on: July 02, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
SFAm+SDOIT was their absolute peak. Since then they've had "blips" of good interspersed (ToT, BCSL, 8V, ADTOE), but the blips have been getting weaker.

Or, to use the RYM ranking:

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2422 on: July 02, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
I think the next one will fit right in that gap between TOT and DT12 (Hoping for better though :) )
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2423 on: July 02, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »
They haven't topped Scenes since ever. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2424 on: July 02, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »
Worse so, they have not released another top-5 album in 13 years. And i think the DT12 rating can't be trusted, at least judging by how the album's reputation has developed in this forum.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2425 on: July 02, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »
There's no reason why the next album they make can't be just as great as all their other "great" albums
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2426 on: July 02, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
There's no reason why the next album they make can't be just as great as all their other "great" albums

Exactly.  Why not wait until we can actually hear it instead of making pre-judgments and assumptions?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2427 on: July 02, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »
rumborak, why are you always trying to convice other people that DT are on the decline and will never make something worthwhile again? I mean, if that's your opinion, that's OK, but there are people that legitimately enjoy their latest output, and that's totally fine, so I don't get what you're trying to accomplish other than seeking validation for your opinion.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2428 on: July 02, 2015, 05:10:51 PM »
I'm actually not saying at all that they can't. In fact, I strongly believe they still have it in them. I'm more saying they're not utilizing their immense potential. Anybody who listened to  LMR knows of the immense treasure trove of potential at least JR is sitting on.
My, admittedly, somewhat negative posts come from the stance of "come on guys, I know you can do much, much better". It pains me to see *the* band I can think of that has potential left to essentially release so many autopilot albums.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:17:15 PM by rumborak »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2429 on: July 02, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
I hope it's better than Scenes, which it probably will be. :P

So you don't want Scenes in your Memory?
Oh no it's a solid enough album, I just think it's one of DT's weakest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uHBFiAnpZs

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2430 on: July 02, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
Worse so, they have not released another top-5 album in 13 years. 

Why does that matter?  I think most DT fans would agree that an "average" DT album is still better than an average record in general, just like fans of most bands would say the same thing about those other bands, which is why we are fans, so I don't think DT releasing an "average DT" album at this juncture is bad.  Think of it this way: what other bands had 11th and 12th studio albums as good as Dream Theater's?  While I am sure you can list a few, most bands either do not last till as 11th album or are releasing total crap by then.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2431 on: July 02, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
I see your point, but it all depends of course whether one indeed considers those "low" albums to be better than other bands' output. I obviously don't listen to music I don't enjoy, so in my mind I will compare it to the other recent albums I liked (Steven Wilson, Muse etc). There I must, personally, confess that no, I don't think those low DT albums are as good. I don't really listen to Systematic Chaos or DT12, at all at this point. ADTOE gets the occasional spin because there was something fresh about it. But there are definitely DT albums that I consider as bad as other bands' bad albums. DT doesn't have that "implicit offset" to me that it seems to have for some of you.

Maybe that's why I think they should try harder.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #2432 on: July 02, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
Worse so, they have not released another top-5 album in 13 years. 

Why does that matter?  I think most DT fans would agree that an "average" DT album is still better than an average record in general, just like fans of most bands would say the same thing about those other bands, which is why we are fans, so I don't think DT releasing an "average DT" album at this juncture is bad.  Think of it this way: what other bands had 11th and 12th studio albums as good as Dream Theater's?  While I am sure you can list a few, most bands either do not last till as 11th album or are releasing total crap by then.
I totally agree with you. For example, Rush's 12th album (Hold Your Fire) is my least favorite from the band and DT12 is one of the weakest albums from Dream Theater imo. Keeping that in mind Hold Your Fire doesn't hold a candle to DT12.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2433 on: July 02, 2015, 06:45:20 PM »
I see your point, but it all depends of course whether one indeed considers those "low" albums to be better than other bands' output. I obviously don't listen to music I don't enjoy, so in my mind I will compare it to the other recent albums I liked (Steven Wilson, Muse etc). There I must, personally, confess that no, I don't think those low DT albums are as good. I don't really listen to Systematic Chaos or DT12, at all at this point. ADTOE gets the occasional spin because there was something fresh about it. But there are definitely DT albums that I consider as bad as other bands' bad albums. DT doesn't have that "implicit offset" to me that it seems to have for some of you.

i don't think their alleged lack of great material in recent years is from lack of trying.  DT doesn't strike me as a band that is just churning out material just for the hell of it, especially in the post-Portnoy era. They, like 99.99% of the acts out there, were at their most creative early in their career.

I totally agree with you. For example, Rush's 12th album (Hold Your Fire) is my least favorite from the band and DT12 is one of the weakest albums from Dream Theater imo. Keeping that in mind Hold Your Fire doesn't hold a candle to DT12.

Well, I love Hold Your Fire (although it's still only middle of the pack for me for Rush), but that's me. :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2434 on: July 02, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »

i don't think their alleged lack of great material in recent years is from lack of trying.  DT doesn't strike me as a band that is just churning out material just for the hell of it, especially in the post-Portnoy era. They, like 99.99% of the acts out there, were at their most creative early in their career.

I would agree with that if it hadnt been for ADTOE. For some reason, and I personally think that reason is "challenge", DT creates fresh material whenever things are uncertain.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2435 on: July 02, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »
I just don't see a "lack of great material" at all.  I don't.  That's one of the reasons I am as big a fan as I am.  They have consistently put out albums where I think the vast majority on any given album is fantastic.  So...I'm good with what they've done on their recent albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2436 on: July 02, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
I hate to say it, but this is one of those cases where I unfortunately mostly agree with rumby.
While I definitely think DT has generally had a way higher batting average than most bands, and have very few songs I'd call bad, if it's average, it's average, not "average by DT standards but still better than other bands".
I was completely over the last couple of albums very quickly, while the top part of their discography still feels unbelievably fresh and exciting after over a decade. I have no reason or desire to listen to average.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2437 on: July 02, 2015, 11:38:21 PM »
I just don't see a "lack of great material" at all.  I don't.  That's one of the reasons I am as big a fan as I am.  They have consistently put out albums where I think the vast majority on any given album is fantastic.  So...I'm good with what they've done on their recent albums.

Agree with you here. The last two albums are great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2438 on: July 03, 2015, 02:01:16 AM »
DT12 sounded great to begin with and I thought it would end up being a favourite but it soon got old ( quicker than most DT albums ) and I barely listen to it now.

Of all the Roadrunner era albums - I probably listen to A Dramatic Turn Of Events the most.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2439 on: July 03, 2015, 02:03:28 AM »
Of the two MM albums DT12 has "aged" the best for me. Whenever I spin ADTOE I usually just go to BAI and perhaps also BITS.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2440 on: July 03, 2015, 04:02:13 AM »
Hearing only one note from DT12 usually annoys me, but I don't agree that they're not putting out great stuff, as I really like ADToE. But DT12 is just completely bereft of all sorts of emotional, lyrical, and production quality, so I would love for the next album to be as far from that as possible, which I'm not really expecting it will be.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2441 on: July 03, 2015, 04:03:53 AM »
Hearing only one note from DT12 usually annoys me, but I don't agree that they're not putting out great stuff, as I really like ADToE. But DT12 is just completely bereft of all sorts of emotional, lyrical, and production quality, so I would love for the next album to be as far from that as possible, which I'm not really expecting it will be.

I could use this in class as an example for what a hyperbole is.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2442 on: July 03, 2015, 06:18:40 AM »
I just think DT is taking approaching writing and recording music that is not experimental and for some that's not enough.  Some are ok that they are not pushing boundaries though they'd like them too and other are turned off that they are not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2443 on: July 03, 2015, 06:56:30 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority but I like the last two CDs more than FII, 6DoIT, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, BC&SL.  About equal with ToT.  They fit in great for me only for sure behind I&W, Awake, Scenes.  And I can't wait for the new one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: July 03, 2015, 08:55:17 AM »
Of the two MM albums DT12 has "aged" the best for me. Whenever I spin ADTOE I usually just go to BAI and perhaps also BITS.

ADTOE only has the one song i'm not overly keen on ( Breaking All Illusions ). It's a good song but I don't worship it like most people on here....

DT12 has Surrender To Reason & Along For The Ride - the latter of which I can't even listen to. One of my least favourite DT songs ever.

Offline adamack

« Reply #2445 on: July 04, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »
Hey all, been a long time since I've been here! Moved out to the west coast and I have been insanely busy. Hope everyone is doing great.

I was curious....what's the latest on the new album? This thread is massive! Figured it may be easier to ask.

I appreciate any answers. Thanks!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2446 on: July 04, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
I was curious....what's the latest on the new album? This thread is massive! Figured it may be easier to ask.

Quick summary:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2447 on: July 04, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »
To be released in early 2016.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2448 on: July 05, 2015, 04:24:16 AM »
The band is being extremely guarded and tight-lipped about this album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: July 05, 2015, 07:49:28 AM »
Well, that's it.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E