Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 488018 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Dream Theater was allegedly in the Studio February - To Be Continued
« Reply #2275 on: June 19, 2015, 05:56:57 AM »
I would bet that one is Bridges in the Sky
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2276 on: June 19, 2015, 05:58:33 AM »
Oh cool!!! I like all the songs that have been hinted at so far. But aside from Behind the Veil, I´ve seen them live a whole bunch of times...I´d be  curious to find out how Mangini will perform A Nightmare to Remember.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2277 on: June 19, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »
Oh cool!!! I like all the songs that have been hinted at so far. But aside from Behind the Veil, I´ve seen them live a whole bunch of times...I´d be  curious to find out how Mangini will perform A Nightmare to Remember.

Yeah, very cool, it seems that the set list will be one song (not very long) for each record. I hope they include Another Won and ACoS too, so we'll have kind of "totally representative" set list of the 30 years. I think it's cool to see that they are selecting pre-MM DT songs that weren't played live by MM (or at least only a few times, like As I Am).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #2278 on: June 19, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »
I'm thinking they are going in chronological order and that's why Behind The Veil is last on the set. I'm hoping that for the shows that have more time they have an encore with A Change Of Seasons.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2279 on: June 19, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »

Just watch the audition video.  ;D
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #2280 on: June 19, 2015, 08:22:11 AM »
Lines In The Sand??  :huh:

From what I could figure out: Panic Attack, Bridges In The Sky and Behind The Veil.  :metal

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: June 19, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »
FINALLY SOME NEWS!!

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #2282 on: June 19, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
FINALLY SOME NEWS!!

Spot on... :rollin

Sorry but while "As I am" looks probable even if not so clear, "Behind the veil" and "Panick Attack" defintely yes, where do you read the word "in"in the third title on that frame?
I read XXXXXXXX AT XXX (THE?) XXXXX so simply cannot figure out... No DT song with the word "at" as I can remember... Unless it's a new one? Wow! Or cover? Naaaaahhh....
From Rome, with love.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2283 on: June 19, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »
FINALLY SOME NEWS!!

Spot on... :rollin

Sorry but while "As I am" looks probable even if not so clear, "Behind the veil" and "Panick Attack" defintely yes, where do you read the word "in"in the third title on that frame?
I read XXXXXXXX AT XXX (THE?) XXXXX so simply cannot figure out... No DT song with the word "at" as I can remember... Unless it's a new one? Wow! Or cover? Naaaaahhh....

Pretty sure that one is Bridges in the Sky. It's so blurry that I'm looking more at the general shapes rather than expecting to interpret specific letters too clearly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #2284 on: June 19, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
I cant wait till July 9th.. travelling from England to Germany to watch DT...

But Haken and Devin Townsend are also the supports... BEST GIG EVER.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Haha, I`ll be there too  :D
Will be my first DT show, so I hope the setlist is good, but the spoiled tracks were pretty good by now imo

Offline Krissi91

« Reply #2285 on: June 19, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
I will be going to the show in Pratteln, Switzerland with Queensryche. As there are only playing 4 bands in total at this "festival", I'm assuming that they will play the more extended set. :tup
So I'm also hoping that they will pull out A change of Seasons, that would be a dream come true.

I love all of the 4 songs on the bottom of the blurry list. Maybe I would rather hear The Bigger Picture from the self titeled, but I'm REALLY ok with Behind the veil, too. :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2286 on: June 19, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
Welcome, Krissi.  Hope you enjoy the show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2287 on: June 19, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »
I will be going to the show in Pratteln, Switzerland with Queensryche. As there are only playing 4 bands in total at this "festival", I'm assuming that they will play the more extended set. :tup
So I'm also hoping that they will pull out A change of Seasons, that would be a dream come true.

I love all of the 4 songs on the bottom of the blurry list. Maybe I would rather hear The Bigger Picture from the self titeled, but I'm REALLY ok with Behind the veil, too. :D

I would not bet against The Bigger Picture being played. JP was always vocal about his fondness for the song :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #2288 on: June 19, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
The Bigger Picture, to my taste, is the best song on DT12

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2289 on: June 20, 2015, 01:38:45 AM »

This might even be my favourite one of all time.  There's just something about it that I love.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2290 on: June 20, 2015, 01:43:01 AM »

This might even be my favourite one of all time.  There's just something about it that I love.

Idk if it's the best of all time, but I can fairly say it's the best on DT 12 for me, the only one with a replay value.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2291 on: June 20, 2015, 05:30:42 AM »
I agree, The Bigger Picture is the best on DT12. But even the best on that album only just barely breaks into my top 50.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2292 on: June 20, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
I was about to say 'Panic Attack again? Bummer!', but then I remembered the song hasn't been played for a while. Time goes by fast enough, eh!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2293 on: June 20, 2015, 08:35:05 AM »
I agree, The Bigger Picture is the best on DT12. But even the best on that album only just barely breaks into my top 50.

I think DT 12 suffers from the same problems found on every album after 8vm : well-executed but cold and clinical.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Krissi91

« Reply #2294 on: June 20, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
Welcome, Krissi.  Hope you enjoy the show.

Thank you, I sure will. :)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2295 on: June 20, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »
Exclusive pic of JP pondering the setlist choices he has made for the summer tour.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #2296 on: June 20, 2015, 10:36:39 AM »
 :lol I spent a worryingly long time laughing. Someone actually came into my office to see if something was wrong...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2297 on: June 20, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »
;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2298 on: June 20, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »

I would not bet against The Bigger Picture being played. JP was always vocal about his fondness for the song :tup

James said he loves the song too and it might be his favorite in the entire DT catalog. 

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #2299 on: June 20, 2015, 11:02:09 AM »
 :D ... Yeah!  Great pic.

DT12:  I seem to like the epics the best off the albums.  Really I see them separate from the shorter songs.  For me the epic IT is the tops for that album.  But the Bigger Picture is the best of the shorter songs.  Those 2 and Along For The Ride are the ones I primarily listen to.
Signature

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #2300 on: June 20, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »
The bigger picture is amazing, but I do hope they play Surrender to reason, IMHO the best song on DT12
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #2301 on: June 21, 2015, 12:27:01 AM »
IT is probably my favorite, but I listen to the The Bigger Picture-Behind the Veil-Surrender to Reason stretch of the album more than any other part of it. Those 3 songs, especially in a row, feel the most inspired out of the shorter songs, imo, and of course they're the only 3 NOT played on the DT12 tour, even when 2/5 members gave TBP heaps of praise.

(I love how the new album thread has become a setlist decoder/DT12 discussion thread  :rollin)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2302 on: June 21, 2015, 03:24:03 AM »
Can someone link me the image you guys are looking at? Or tell me on what page it is? I'm curious.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the source.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:16:22 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #2303 on: June 21, 2015, 03:41:01 PM »

(I love how the new album thread has become a setlist decoder/DT12 discussion thread  :rollin)

The lack of any hints or news has driven us to talk about the closest thing to DT13  :lol
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Krissi91

« Reply #2304 on: June 21, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »

The lack of any hints or news has driven us to talk about the closest thing to DT13  :lol

Well, the tour will start in a few days, so I hope that we get some news soon. James probably will say something about the release date on stage. :yarr

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2305 on: June 21, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »
I don't think there will be news, other than what the actual setlist is (which i never care about too much). Other than that, the festival concerts are usually much more bare-bones. I don't expect anything other than a few YouTube videos.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2306 on: June 22, 2015, 05:40:58 AM »

But Haken and Devin Townsend are also the supports... BEST GIG EVER.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Will be my first DT show, so I hope the setlist is good, but the spoiled tracks were pretty good by now imo

I don't even care about the set list if all 3 of my favourite bands are on a stage in the same night!

What an experience for your first show!  :metal

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #2307 on: June 22, 2015, 05:55:33 AM »

I don't even care about the set list if all 3 of my favourite bands are on a stage in the same night!

What an experience for your first show!  :metal

Yeah, I don`t even know that much music by Devin Townsend, but Haken and Dream Theater (of course) are gonna be awesome. I also only live about 100 miles away from Bonn so this is completely ridiculous!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2308 on: June 22, 2015, 09:20:19 AM »
I know it's hopeful thinking, but as Jordan posted an old-school ACOS video a few days ago I hope they are reviewing the song for the upcoming tour. Probably not going to happen, but still a man can dream.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2309 on: June 22, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
He's not going to post anything related to ACOS if they weren't going to play it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol