Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 490175 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #2065 on: June 05, 2015, 05:08:23 PM »
And if anybody remembers the initial teaser video of BTFW, that was damn close to air guitar as well :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2066 on: June 05, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »
The Answer Lies Within (has this ever actually been played live???)
Unfortunately, yes.

Never played?

RAW DOG!
SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

I think Raw Dog would actually work well live. It's a high energy song and those type of songs are usually well suited for a live setting.

Truth.  So much energy, so powah!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2067 on: June 05, 2015, 10:17:36 PM »
Explain.

Well, see, when you take one of those out of the rack, fret notes with your left hand, and simultaneously strike the strings with the right hand, while the instrument is plugged in, it makes cool sounds.

Hope that helps!  :D
Oh my God. You're saying I've been playing the guitar wrong this whole time?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2068 on: June 06, 2015, 01:22:31 AM »
I also like it when JR goes ethnic :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z2RyLKONfI

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2069 on: June 06, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
Oh god, that was fucking phenomenal.

Just imagine DT used that stuff to make something similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1-7kCAK4Nc
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2070 on: June 06, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
I actually agree. I don't particularly like Enigma Machine as an album track, but live it's much more entertaining.
Same, though I'm not sure Raw Dog would be as fun.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #2071 on: June 07, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »
any news about the new release?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2072 on: June 07, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
any news about the new release?

If there was, the page count for this thread would go through the roof. You would know about it straight away.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2073 on: June 07, 2015, 05:56:05 PM »
I actually agree. I don't particularly like Enigma Machine as an album track, but live it's much more entertaining.
Perhaps, but let's remember how much TSF was hated here until they finally did it live. All of the sudden, a lot of people made a complete 180 and start liking the song. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened with Raw Dog as well.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2074 on: June 07, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »
Perhaps, but let's remember how much TSF was hated here until they finally did it live. All of the sudden, a lot of people made a complete 180 and start liking the song. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened with Raw Dog as well.

Guilty as charged! Them playing it live has sparked my interest in TSF big time!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2075 on: June 07, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »

Guilty as charged! Them playing it live has sparked my interest in TSF big time!

Me too although I think it translates live MUCH better than in the studio.  There are some songs that just take a live performance to change your mind about the song but with this one, I think it is definitely better served in a live setting.  I still don't really dig the studio version that much. 

For what its worth, I like Raw Dog but I could live without it. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2076 on: June 07, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »

Me too although I think it translates live MUCH better than in the studio.  There are some songs that just take a live performance to change your mind about the song but with this one, I think it is definitely better served in a live setting.  I still don't really dig the studio version that much. 

Count me amongst the swayed as well. The studio version does little for me but that live version on the last DVD was pretty great! It's like a whole different song....different feel. Mangini owns that song and sounded awesome playing it!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2077 on: June 08, 2015, 02:52:10 AM »
Well, I think any hatred of TSF was totally unreasonable and I wasn't even slightly surprised at how good it was live. It's a great song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2078 on: June 08, 2015, 04:05:53 AM »
The Shattered fortress is still one of my least favorite Dream Theater songs, but there are some great bits in it and it was worth seeing it live just for those little bits and sections. I was impressed that they decided to play it for the first time and perform it with so much power and attitude, even though I'm not too crazy about it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: June 08, 2015, 06:51:47 AM »
TSF was always good, but that BTFW version is really awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2080 on: June 08, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
Well, I think any hatred of TSF was totally unreasonable and I wasn't even slightly surprised at how good it was live. It's a great song.

This.  But I still will give Scotty's point some support by pointing out the example of SDV, which I have long held to be one of DT's absolute worst songs, but yet was one of my personal highlights of BTFW.

But to bring that back to Raw Dog, I do not expect something similar.  SDV got a revamp.  Raw Dog just isn't very good as a complete song.  I have a difficult time seeing how it could be improved on significantly in a live setting.  And I have an even more difficult time seeing the band wanting to play it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2081 on: June 08, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
If they can make Enigma Machine sound interesting live, then surely Raw Dog, which is far better to begin with, would be awesome live.

But..not expecting to see it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2082 on: June 08, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
The Shattered fortress is still one of my least favorite Dream Theater songs, but there are some great bits in it and it was worth seeing it live just for those little bits and sections. I was impressed that they decided to play it for the first time and perform it with so much power and attitude, even though I'm not too crazy about it.
Yeah that took me completely by surprise. I was under the impression that that track would only be played if they did the whole suite.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2083 on: June 08, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
The Shattered Fortress might have been good live if Petrucci's guitar sound didn't butcher those low notes.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2084 on: June 08, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »

If that's all it takes to make people like a song, then they should play Anna Lee live.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2085 on: June 08, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
Raw Dog isn't that bad. The intro kinda sucks and goes on too long, but once the song gets going, it's pretty cool.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: June 08, 2015, 03:06:42 PM »
I also enjoy Raw Dog, it seems a bit of a mish mash of different/cool riffs that were just pulled together to make an instrumental for a video game and if you take it like that and not as some serious song, then it can be fun and enjoyable.  Theres lots of cool riffs in that song.

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #2087 on: June 08, 2015, 06:16:41 PM »
Raw Dog might not sound exactly as it was originally intended by the band. I don't quite remember what specific interview it came from, but Jordan Rudess stated that when writing Raw Dog they had originally incorporated the main melody/motif used in the soundtrack to the God of War franchise into the track but they couldn't use it due to copyright related issues.
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2088 on: June 08, 2015, 07:34:50 PM »
Raw Dog isn't that bad. The intro kinda sucks and goes on too long, but once the song gets going, it's pretty cool.

The intro is the BEST part for me.  It's a great dismantling of a power chord.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2089 on: June 08, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
I don't remember The Shattered Fortress being that hated around here. ???  I've always liked it, and still think it is the 3rd best song of the suite (behind Glass Prison and Repentance).  It having so many parts from the previous songs doesn't bother me that much since I almost never listen to The Root... or This Dying Soul.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2090 on: June 08, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
Kev, Repentance?  Man that's the worst song of the Suite.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2091 on: June 08, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »
Kev, Repentance?  Man that's the best song of the Suite.
Fixed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2092 on: June 08, 2015, 08:45:33 PM »
Kev, Repentance?  Man that's the worst song of the Suite.

No way.  It's a song with a lovely melody, and I actually like the long ending; the vibe is very nice.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #2093 on: June 08, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »
and I actually like the long ending; the vibe is very nice.

Marry me?
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2094 on: June 08, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »
The only problem with Repentance is that it drags on about 4 minutes too long. Other than that, it's really good (I'd still put it second last, but it's still well ahead of TSF).

Raw Dog might not sound exactly as it was originally intended by the band. I don't quite remember what specific interview it came from, but Jordan Rudess stated that when writing Raw Dog they had originally incorporated the main melody/motif used in the soundtrack to the God of War franchise into the track but they couldn't use it due to copyright related issues.

I think you're thinking of the samples. I don't recall anything about a main melody, but they originally had game samples at the end of the song, which they were eventually not allowed to use.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #2095 on: June 09, 2015, 04:16:52 AM »
Repentance has a extremely deep and beautiful melody, but the biggest problem IMO are those samples of other artists talking about their personal deceptions and stuff...the song would've been A LOT better if there was a tasteful and long moog solo, a la This Is The Life, or a freakin' lapsteel like the one from 8V into. I do like Repentance, and I have to say that I love JP's solo too...but it is my least favorite from the suite.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2096 on: June 09, 2015, 06:58:52 AM »
I also enjoy Raw Dog, it seems a bit of a mish mash of different/cool riffs that were just pulled together to make an instrumental for a video game and if you take it like that and not as some serious song, then it can be fun and enjoyable. 
Well, it's not "for a video game" in the sense that it is background music for the game.  It was for the release of the game - it was written to be on a companion collection of music put together to help promote the game.  None of that music is in the game.

Besides, there is no reason not to take it as a serious song.  They wrote it and released it with their name on it, so it gets judged just like all of their other songs.  I'm glad you like it, but it shouldn't get a pass for any reason.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: June 09, 2015, 07:13:53 AM »
I also enjoy Raw Dog, it seems a bit of a mish mash of different/cool riffs that were just pulled together to make an instrumental for a video game and if you take it like that and not as some serious song, then it can be fun and enjoyable. 
Well, it's not "for a video game" in the sense that it is background music for the game.  It was for the release of the game - it was written to be on a companion collection of music put together to help promote the game.  None of that music is in the game.

Besides, there is no reason not to take it as a serious song.  They wrote it and released it with their name on it, so it gets judged just like all of their other songs.  I'm glad you like it, but it shouldn't get a pass for any reason.

I know it was not used in the video game, my wording was confusing, but Im not sure how to take the song seriously.  Just because the band puts their name on it does not make it automatically a serious song.  Other than having the DT name on it, what of the actual music would make someone take that song seriously?  Is the band not allowed to right a song that is just fun and not meant to be anything more than that?  Im not even sure thats the case, thats just the feeling I get from listening to the music.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2098 on: June 09, 2015, 07:16:00 AM »
Kev, Repentance?  Man that's the best song of the Suite.
Fixed.

Without my permission.  Bant! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2099 on: June 09, 2015, 07:19:20 AM »

I know it was not used in the video game, my wording was confusing, but Im not sure how to take the song seriously.  Just because the band puts their name on it does not make it automatically a serious song.  Other than having the DT name on it, what of the actual music would make someone take that song seriously?  Is the band not allowed to right a song that is just fun and not meant to be anything more than that?  Im not even sure thats the case, thats just the feeling I get from listening to the music.
They are professional musicians that were hired to provide a song for this.  It's not any different than other artists having songs on a film soundtrack.  I just don't understand in any way why the song should be judged any other way than any other song they have released.

The reason that it's hard to take seriously is that it's awful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.