Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 84489 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #1050 on: April 17, 2024, 02:06:38 PM »
Yes. It matters.

Need it matter to everyone? Nah. So if it doesn't matter to you, then that's fine. But the shape changes the experience, even if it doesn't change the taste.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: April 17, 2024, 02:08:16 PM »
Yes, you sound like my irish friend talking to me, an italian about pasta

Flavor comes out the same, but texture can be different.

Personally I put rigatoni in the A tier because I like how you can get like a bolegnese sauce to fill up the larger hole than say a penne.  But Penne is better for a sauce that isn't meaty, like vodka sauce. 

I also love like the stupid shapes for mac and cheese, anything to get the cheese in the little crevices created.  We recently found beer mug pasta and made a mac and cheese with it that worked real well. 

I actually don't really like spaghetti too much, I find it can be too thick.  Spaghettini is better for my tastes as I also find angel hair to be a bit too thin. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #1052 on: April 17, 2024, 02:11:33 PM »

Flavor comes out the same, but texture can be different.

Personally I put rigatoni in the A tier because I like how you can get like a bolegnese sauce to fill up the larger hole than say a penne.  But Penne is better for a sauce that isn't meaty, like vodka sauce. 

I also love like the stupid shapes for mac and cheese, anything to get the cheese in the little crevices created.  We recently found beer mug pasta and made a mac and cheese with it that worked real well. 

I actually don't really like spaghetti too much, I find it can be too thick.  Spaghettini is better for my tastes as I also find angel hair to be a bit too thin.

Totally about spaghetti. Don't mind it at all, and I also agree that often angel hair is too thin. I've found Capellini to be ideal.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1053 on: April 17, 2024, 02:18:08 PM »
Some colleagues of mine and I got into a pretty heated debate about pasta today and I wanted to bring my ideas here to see if I am truly mad or if my coworkers are.

Here is the context: They were "ranking" pasta noodle shapes. Things like "Orzo is S tier, but Rigortony is D tier, while Spaghetti is A tier."

This baffled me, to me they're all just pasta! What difference does it make whether you make a lasagna with Orzo or a baked Ziti with Penne? I have never once in my life cared about that. But my coworkers hooted and hollered around the water cooler at the thought that I might not mind some cheese wrapped in spaghetti as opposed to, say, a Ravioli. To me, it all tastes the same, and being picky about which specific pasta is involved simply does not matter. In fact, I'd even consider it a first world problem to mind.

Am I crazy?
One variety of pasta is no better or worse than another in and of itself, so assigning grades to them is silly. For a specific dish the type of pasta can make a big difference, though. Sometimes the shape matters. More often the thickness matters. Generally you're going to want the right ratio of pasta to stuff (thickness), and your going to want the stuff to combine well with the pasta (shape).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1054 on: April 17, 2024, 02:20:08 PM »
Yes. It matters.

Need it matter to everyone? Nah. So if it doesn't matter to you, then that's fine. But the shape changes the experience, even if it doesn't change the taste.

Interesting take. I guess food is mostly a thing to keep me alive and not a thing to be enjoyed so I don't really understand what you mean by experience but if others get experiential pleasure from food, that's cool I guess.

I had no idea you were Italian, but I get what you mean about mac and cheese pasta filling in crevices. But with non-mac 'n cheese dishes usually the sauce isn't that sticky anyway and doesn't or wouldn't really stay on anyway. At least that is my experience.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #1055 on: April 17, 2024, 02:21:30 PM »
One variety of pasta is no better or worse than another in and of itself, so assigning grades to them is silly. For a specific dish the type of pasta can make a big difference, though. Sometimes the shape matters. More often the thickness matters. Generally you're going to want the right ratio of pasta to stuff (thickness), and your going to want the stuff to combine well with the pasta (shape).

This sounds like a much more eloquently put way of what I was trying to say during the debate. My point was the way it's cooked matters more to me. For example, maybe a baked thing needs a thicker noodle to avoid it from getting too crispy, or whatever. But to rank them seems really bizarre to me. Thanks for putting it well :tup
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

« Reply #1056 on: April 17, 2024, 02:21:48 PM »

As Marc pointed out, it's also about how different shapes hold the sauce.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1057 on: April 17, 2024, 02:26:55 PM »
As Marc pointed out, it's also about how different shapes hold the sauce.
Yeah, that was the combining thing I was getting at.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1058 on: April 17, 2024, 02:28:39 PM »
Yeah, that was the combining thing I was getting at.

Gotcha.

For me, it's a bit more arbitrary since I'm a vegetarian, so there's rarely a super thick robust sauce I'm using. And sometimes I can't quite quantify or explain why a shape works better.

Elbow macaroni and cheese? Yes.
Spaghetti and cheese? No.
Spaghetti and cacio e pepe? Yes.

Does that make sense? Nope.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: April 17, 2024, 02:32:16 PM »
I had no idea you were Italian

I'm American but my heritage is half Italian, my father is 100% Italian as a 3rd generation in this country from Brooklyn.  I ate a lot of pasta growing up. 

I actually hardly eat pasta though, I've grown into a rice and beans guy over pasta which is hilarious because my gf is 100% Honduran 2nd generation in US but prefers pasta over rice and beans. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1060 on: April 17, 2024, 02:44:24 PM »
Gotcha.

For me, it's a bit more arbitrary since I'm a vegetarian, so there's rarely a super thick robust sauce I'm using. And sometimes I can't quite quantify or explain why a shape works better.

Elbow macaroni and cheese? Yes.
Spaghetti and cheese? No.
Spaghetti and cacio e pepe? Yes.

Does that make sense? Nope.
That's about right. You want tubes for mac and cheese (I go with large tubes, myself). For minimalist "sauces," like your cacio e pepe you want longer, hardier pasta. If I do a quick butter/oil + parm thing I go with fettuccine. More surface area and a little more bite. What I never got was using spaghetti for hearty meat sauces. I typically blow that off and do a baked ziti if I'm making a good meat sauce.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1061 on: April 17, 2024, 03:32:08 PM »
cacio e pepe is my next adventure. But, with chickpea pasta.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1062 on: April 17, 2024, 06:17:44 PM »
cacio e pepe is my next adventure. But, with chickpea pasta.

Wait. You can spell cacio e pepe, or did you just copy/paste from Adami's post?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1063 on: April 17, 2024, 06:52:09 PM »

No, he just proved the Infinite Monkey Theorem is true.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1064 on: April 17, 2024, 06:54:46 PM »
Some colleagues of mine and I got into a pretty heated debate about pasta today and I wanted to bring my ideas here to see if I am truly mad or if my coworkers are.

Here is the context: They were "ranking" pasta noodle shapes. Things like "Orzo is S tier, but Rigortony is D tier, while Spaghetti is A tier."

This baffled me, to me they're all just pasta! What difference does it make whether you make a lasagna with Orzo or a baked Ziti with Penne? I have never once in my life cared about that. But my coworkers hooted and hollered around the water cooler at the thought that I might not mind some cheese wrapped in spaghetti as opposed to, say, a Ravioli. To me, it all tastes the same, and being picky about which specific pasta is involved simply does not matter. In fact, I'd even consider it a first world problem to mind.

Am I crazy?

Texture is important to a lot of people. Some pasta is smooth, other has ridges or other curvature/raised surfaces that bring a different experience in tasting and chewing. Size, holding the sauce, thickness, how it's cooked, all those nuances add up. Unless you're just shoving the pasta in your mouth and chewing it fast?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1065 on: April 18, 2024, 04:36:15 AM »

I quoted him so you could see it to spell it silly.

You should YouTube Babbish cooking it. Very informative.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #1066 on: April 18, 2024, 08:10:39 AM »
Unless you're just shoving the pasta in your mouth and chewing it fast?

Yeah, usually. Food isn't something pleasurable for me and it's just a way to not die/starve, so the faster I eat, the fast I can get back to doing what I want/need to do like work, exercise, listen to music, post on this forum, etc.
Welcome to the Forums!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: April 19, 2024, 11:52:08 AM »
So all that pasta talk... a basic meat sauce and rigatoni

Offline Adami

« Reply #1068 on: April 19, 2024, 11:53:53 AM »

Hmmm....

USE FRESH PARM YOU MONSTER!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #1069 on: April 19, 2024, 01:32:00 PM »

Weird, I thought those noodles were called Penne
Welcome to the Forums!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: April 19, 2024, 01:39:45 PM »
Weird, I thought those noodles were called Penne

Penne is similar but a smaller tube. Maybe half the size, or even smaller in this case, this rigatoni is pretty big and thick.  This brand is really good, I keep buying it as my go to pasta these days.

« Reply #1071 on: April 19, 2024, 01:42:38 PM »
I doubled checked you because I believe you, but honestly, that's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard in my life. They are the same thing and the diameter of the noodle is what makes them totally different classifications of noodle? What the actual fuck?

What's the maximum diameter size of a Penne before it grows up and becomes a Rigatoni?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

« Reply #1072 on: April 19, 2024, 01:44:12 PM »
I doubled checked you because I believe you, but honestly, that's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard in my life. They are the same thing and the diameter of the noodle is what makes them totally different classifications of noodle? What the actual fuck?

What's the maximum diameter size of a Penne before it grows up and becomes a Rigatoni?

That's true for most of it. Spaghetti, Capellini, Angel Hair, Spaghettini, etc. All the same thing just different size.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #1073 on: April 19, 2024, 01:45:05 PM »
My question stands. What is the cutoff between Penne and Rigatoni? If there is no official classification maintained by the Government of Italy or the Holy Roman Catholic Church, then it's all just made up bullshit
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

« Reply #1074 on: April 19, 2024, 01:47:41 PM »
My question stands. What is the cutoff between Penne and Rigatoni? If there is no official classification maintained by the Government of Italy or the Holy Roman Catholic Church, then it's all just made up bullshit

Penne is also a different shape in that the openings aren't flat circles.

Penne:

Rigatoni:

And I do believe that the Holy Roman Catholic Church issued a decree on this in 1342.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1075 on: April 19, 2024, 01:48:50 PM »

Everything is made up bullshit anyways, whether it's official or not.

I don't know of any standard for it, unlike the flat pastas (spag, linguini, fett, etc)which do have set sizes. Most pasta sizes and shapes are just a standard that have been accepted for centuries, long enough to not care about your ignorance of pasta lore.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: April 19, 2024, 01:51:13 PM »
Penne is also a different shape in that the openings aren't flat circles.

Yup, that too

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1077 on: April 19, 2024, 01:54:43 PM »
And I do believe that the Holy Roman Catholic Church issued a decree on this in 1342.
Right. Pope Innocent III. Isn't that what led to the downfall of the Byzantine Empire?
E.F. Benson

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #1078 on: April 19, 2024, 01:56:45 PM »
I'm not Italian or super into pasta like some others here, but there's one pasta-like dish that I absolutely adore: gnocchi. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but does gnocchi even count as pasta? I mean, it's made with potatoes. But it's served in a similar way to pasta, so I'm not sure where it fits in the grand pasta hierarchy. Either way it tastes great in a spinach and tomato sauce.

« Reply #1079 on: April 19, 2024, 02:00:19 PM »
I always thought Gnocchi was made out of rice
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1080 on: April 19, 2024, 02:02:43 PM »
I'm not Italian or super into pasta like some others here, but there's one pasta-like dish that I absolutely adore: gnocchi. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but does gnocchi even count as pasta? I mean, it's made with potatoes. But it's served in a similar way to pasta, so I'm not sure where it fits in the grand pasta hierarchy. Either way it tastes great in a spinach and tomato sauce.
Gnocci is a dumpling (and made of potatoes). That said, I'm not sure what separates a dumpling from pasta.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #1081 on: April 19, 2024, 02:08:58 PM »
Gnocci is a dumpling (and made of potatoes). That said, I'm not sure what separates a dumpling from pasta.

In my experience dumplings have something in them (other than pasta sauce :lol)

Example: Shrimp Dumplings.

EDIT: I guess that makes Ravioli a dumpling, huh?
Welcome to the Forums!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: April 19, 2024, 02:25:57 PM »
I literally had this discussion recently with my gf about gnocchi, which I love.  It's potato based, but it's always on the pasta menu so I guess it may be considered pasta.  I usually think of it so because of that and the dishes it's served as. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1083 on: April 19, 2024, 02:34:10 PM »
In my experience dumplings have something in them (other than pasta sauce :lol)

Example: Shrimp Dumplings.

EDIT: I guess that makes Ravioli a dumpling, huh?
I think we're venturing into "is a hotdog a sandwich" territory.  :lol

Asian dumplings are stuffed, and I'd consider them about the same as pirogi. At the same time, Asian dumplings are steamed or fried. Pirogi are boiled then sauteed. Dumplings as I think of them are boiled, like pasta. Think chicken and dumplings.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1084 on: April 19, 2024, 02:34:15 PM »
Gnocchi is one of my favorite dishes (just made a gluten free version for my wife) and I'd call it a crossover. It's pasta but it's not purely pasta. Of course there are different styles of gnocchi, and I'm mostly referring to the traditional kind.
fanticide.bandcamp.com