Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 80443 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #945 on: October 17, 2023, 06:41:39 AM »
It's just a saying. You never heard that before?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #946 on: October 17, 2023, 11:12:36 AM »
It's just a saying. You never heard that before?

For some reason, we always used "Greek".   "That's all Greek to me."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: October 17, 2023, 11:42:10 AM »
I've heard that as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online faizoff

« Reply #948 on: October 17, 2023, 10:24:13 PM »
I'm assuming you're referring to the Cutco Petite Santoku in the first pic, it's a great knife. I actually love my Victorinox Chef's knife more, they're both super sharp. I prefer the handling of the Chef's knife, makes slicing and dicing a breeze.
No, I was referring to the Victorinox. I've got a hodgepodge of them now. I'm nowhere near good enough to warrant dropping a bunch of money on a knife, and, as you no doubt know, the Victorinox knives are a great bang for buck option. In this case the chef's knife is just a bit too heavy for my liking even if it is sharper. I'll certainly grab it for a pineapple or a leek, but the santokus are the daily drivers. And again, those $6 paring knives.

I too have a mix and match of knives, no one set of anything. I think my pairing knives are some generic brand around the same price.

That looks delicious.

It was fucking amazing, not to toot my own horn. But yeah it was delicious.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #949 on: October 17, 2023, 11:10:10 PM »
Cilantro lime rice is SO easy to make and so good for how simple it is.  We make it fairly frequently. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: October 18, 2023, 02:53:50 PM »
I've been making that Bosk1 but with cauliflower rice.

Online faizoff

« Reply #951 on: November 26, 2023, 09:30:54 PM »
Cast iron pizza tasted amazing, can't believe how fluffy and soft the bread came out. Loaded it up with cheesy goodness, had whole milk mozzarella and added Monterey jack for the crust. Did overcook it a bit, was still really delicious.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #952 on: November 27, 2023, 08:21:46 AM »
I might need to try that, looks great. Did you make the dough yourself?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: November 27, 2023, 08:30:00 AM »
Interesting.  I've been making pizzas a lot at home, but never tried to put it in my cast iron.  Did you bake it or cook it entirely on the stove?

As for my pizzas, I migrated over to making calzones lately since I learned the secret, to put an egg yolk into the riccotta cheese mix.  It's supposed to be a binder for the cheese, which helps, but I feel it adds just a little extra flavor to actually make it taste a lot more like a legit calzone from a pizzeria. I made this one for my family the ngiht before Thanksgivng and the entire thing was gone in a minute

Online faizoff

« Reply #954 on: November 27, 2023, 08:41:20 AM »
I might need to try that, looks great. Did you make the dough yourself?

I did make the dough myself, it's pretty simple. I followed this video for everything except the tomato sauce.

I did use all-purpose flour instead of the recommended bread flour. It still came out soft and fluffy, should've just cooked it for less time.

Interesting.  I've been making pizzas a lot at home, but never tried to put it in my cast iron.  Did you bake it or cook it entirely on the stove?

As for my pizzas, I migrated over to making calzones lately since I learned the secret, to put an egg yolk into the riccotta cheese mix.  It's supposed to be a binder for the cheese, which helps, but I feel it adds just a little extra flavor to actually make it taste a lot more like a legit calzone from a pizzeria. I made this one for my family the ngiht before Thanksgivng and the entire thing was gone in a minute

That Calzone looks so creamy! I should try that sometime. For my pizza I did both. Baked >25 mins at 400 and then 5 mins on the stove top. Video linked above.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #955 on: December 11, 2023, 07:31:20 PM »
My attempt, and the pizza came out a tad fluffy lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #956 on: December 11, 2023, 09:05:38 PM »
That looks amazing. home made dough like that tastes great when fluffy.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #957 on: December 11, 2023, 10:49:59 PM »
And fluffy will always win out over crunchy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #958 on: December 12, 2023, 05:51:03 AM »
Wow, you guys.  All that looks so good. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #959 on: December 12, 2023, 08:03:57 AM »
Next time I will probably do some changes to the recipe. But yeah, it came out more like a deep dish  :lol

Thanks Faizoff for sharing the video, it's what I used as well (minus making my own sauce).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: December 12, 2023, 08:47:24 AM »
That looks really good and that crust looks perfect for a deep dish pan pizza.

I got some dough and pizza sauce over the weekend with my skillet ready. I'm going to give it a go myself, maybe this week.

And fluffy will always win out over crunchy.

For me, there needs to be a perfect balance of fluffy and crunchy. One over the other is not necessarily better, depends more on the pizza type so in this case, a fluffiness is better, but still, would need a good crunch.  From the picture, it looks like it achieves this for me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: December 15, 2023, 11:50:58 AM »
Here's my pan pizza.  Granted, I didn't make the dough or sauce from scratch so probably not quite as interesting or good as the others, but damn, the crust came out really well and my gf said it was the best pizza we made because of it.  I felt like it was missing some flavor (in the sauce and cheese, we didn't put any toppings on it, the crust tasted good) but otherwise was really good.

and for some reason, my cat sat perfectly on a pillow like I've never seen him before, I think he wanted some too

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #962 on: December 15, 2023, 11:59:09 AM »
Looks pretty good!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #963 on: December 15, 2023, 04:55:29 PM »
Came for the pizza, stayed for the gorgeous cat.

Online faizoff

« Reply #964 on: December 15, 2023, 10:31:50 PM »
That look great cram! nice cat too!

Next time I will probably do some changes to the recipe. But yeah, it came out more like a deep dish  :lol

Thanks Faizoff for sharing the video, it's what I used as well (minus making my own sauce).

No worries!

I also found this video on a slightly different cooking process for the cast iron pizza. Will try it sometime and see how different that comes out.

The guy also has a NYC style pizza which I tried last week and that came out really good. I had the dough in my fridge proofing for a week before I cooked it and man was it super fluffy.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: December 16, 2023, 08:24:27 AM »
I've been following Adam Ragusea for years and he has some of the best pizza recipes IMO.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: December 20, 2023, 12:09:43 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/chick-fil-could-soon-open-143115930.html

This is great news for people in the northeast who go on road trips.  It never made sense that Chick Fil A would be at rest stops on state highways but not be open on Sunday.  Personally, I think it stinks they aren't open on sundays, but generally, that's their business and their decision.  But to be on rest stops and not be open is not cool to me. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #967 on: December 20, 2023, 01:16:51 PM »

This is great news for people in the northeast who go on road trips.  It never made sense that Chick Fil A would be at rest stops on state highways but not be open on Sunday.  Personally, I think it stinks they aren't open on sundays, but generally, that's their business and their decision.  But to be on rest stops and not be open is not cool to me.

I'd be shocked if this goes anywhere. They have a 33 year contract and them closing supposedly was built in, according to another article I read on it. There's a law or requirement that each rest area has to have a hot and cold food option at all times, and CFA being closed on Sunday was built in to the rest of the occupancy.

Just sounds like someone doesn't like CFA's stance and is mad at them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: December 20, 2023, 01:33:24 PM »

I'd be shocked if this goes anywhere. They have a 33 year contract and them closing supposedly was built in, according to another article I read on it. There's a law or requirement that each rest area has to have a hot and cold food option at all times, and CFA being closed on Sunday was built in to the rest of the occupancy.

Just sounds like someone doesn't like CFA's stance and is mad at them.

I dont know anything about their contract specifics.  I've got to imagine they wouldn't of agreed if it didnt work out in some way. But as someone who's drove through NY on a Sunday over the summer, I thought with Chick Fil A being closed, the options were few and far between. The one rest stop I eventually stopped at, had lines out the door for food.  Even just to grab a snack at the convienence store at that rest stop had a huge line that I ended up waiting on because there was no way I was waiting on the lines for an actual meal. I was so annoyed that afternoon with the long delay in my drive and not having a full stomach.  Such is life and all that, but for the state or federal highways, I think they can do better for the public.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: December 21, 2023, 03:21:39 AM »
Just felt the need to post Lucky.....Fucking....Charms!

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #970 on: December 21, 2023, 12:14:27 PM »
I can get behind that.  I was able to buy a larger size box of Lucky Charms (and other cereals) on sale for like $2.  Those boxes are like $5.00 when not on sale.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: December 30, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »
Making Raspberry Red Pepper Jelly Meatballs for the New Years party tomorrow.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #972 on: December 31, 2023, 05:29:25 PM »
First up tonight, some prosciutto-wrapped asparagus. Just threw them in a pan with some olive oil for a couple minutes and then hit them with a few cracks of black pepper and a dusting of pecorino romano afterwards.

Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #973 on: December 31, 2023, 09:28:44 PM »
Main course tonight: Pasta alla Zozzona. An Amatriciana and Carbonara hybrid, this was basically rigatoni in tomato sauce with guanciale and Italian sausage and then blended with an egg yolk and pecorino cream right before serving.

Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: January 01, 2024, 04:52:43 PM »
You could have passed those two pictures off as you had ordered them in a restaurant and I would have believed you.  Looks unreal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #975 on: January 01, 2024, 04:53:47 PM »
You could have passed those two pictures off as you had ordered them in a restaurant and I would have believed you.  Looks unreal.

Yeah, especially the asparagus one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: January 01, 2024, 05:08:08 PM »

Yeah, especially the asparagus one.

I looked at it and before reading said, looks like a real nice restaurant.

Seems like that restaurant also has DT playing for their customers though on the tv.  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: January 02, 2024, 09:01:52 AM »

Yeah, looks legit

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #978 on: January 02, 2024, 11:37:16 AM »
Brilliant work, axeman.

Those dishes definitely look like they belong in a restaurant. I'd add they look like they belong in an italian restaurant. In fact, they look like they belong in an italian restaurant in Italy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: January 02, 2024, 11:52:24 AM »
Brilliant work, axeman.

Those dishes definitely look like they belong in a restaurant. I'd add they look like they belong in an italian restaurant. In fact, they look like they belong in an italian restaurant in Italy.

Let's be real, Florida can use the good italian food a lot more  :lol