Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 493689 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2555 on: October 22, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »
- Tribes 2
- Goldeneye
- Bioshock Inifinite

First ones to come to mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2556 on: October 22, 2016, 04:13:36 PM »
Half-life 2

Everything else

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2557 on: October 22, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
In no specific order

Halo series
Goldeneye
Half life 1 and 2
Unreal tournament
Duke nukem 3D
Doom series
Red Faction
Condemned criminal origins
Chronicles of Riddick on xbox

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2558 on: October 22, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »
I loved red faction despite the fact that all the characters that aren't main cast have the exact same voice and face.

I liked how it was just you and you weren't part of a team. And it was very long sections of underground tunnels.

Didn't like Red Faction 2 as much.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2559 on: October 22, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »
Just finished the Battlefield 1 campaign. I really enjoyed it but I think it was a bit too short. I would have liked to have seen an Eastern Front or French story. Hopefully they have a campaign DLC in the works.

Agreed although I haven't finished yet just because I'm taking my time purposely with it since it's been so enjoyable. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2560 on: October 22, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »
Bioshock, 2, Infinite
CoD 4: Modern Warfare

And that's pretty much it for me, not a big fan of FPS in general  :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #2561 on: October 22, 2016, 07:55:14 PM »
So I was playing a speed run on U3 (PS4 remastered), and was going for that Neediest for Speediest trophy. I sucked in Chapters 6, 8 & 9... in the end I was off by 3 minutes and 1 second! Damn!  :facepalm:  Need to try again... but at least I scored the The Fat and the Furious Yemen Drifter and My Horse is Faster trophies along the way... I already earned both the Outrun the Flames and Catch that Plane! before my failed speed run trial though.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2562 on: October 22, 2016, 11:15:28 PM »
Team Fortress 2
Half Life 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2563 on: October 23, 2016, 07:50:33 AM »
I have sir you are being hunted, I need to play it sometime. I remember following that game really closely but never really played it

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: October 24, 2016, 08:19:31 AM »
I saw this trailer on TV yesterday while watching football.

Dishonored 2 Live Action Trailer - Take Back What's Yours

So. Much. Hyped.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2565 on: October 24, 2016, 08:35:05 AM »
What are some of your all time favourite FPS ?

Here are some of mine :

1. Red faction
2. Timesplitters 2
3. & 4. Borderlands 1,2
5. Goldeneye

and I guess Destiny when it first came out and before the whole Blades of Crota thing. Got tired of it after that.

Goldeneye was the first FPS I ever really played and loved. I've logged far more time playing Halo and its sequels than any other video game franchise, easily. Also really enjoyed the first Gears of War, though never spent much time on the sequels. My friends and I also went through a Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter phase one year in college.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2566 on: October 24, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »
As great as Goldeneye was at the time (I still think Perfect Dark was the superior N64 FPS), it has almost no replay value today. I went back to play it with friends a while back and it was painful to play.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2567 on: October 24, 2016, 08:55:52 AM »
Yeah, I imagine it would only really have value as a nostalgia trip at this point. I remember the controls feeling so clunky when I played it at my cousin's house a couple months after I had gotten Xbox/Halo.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2568 on: October 24, 2016, 08:56:42 AM »
Not quite sure what to think of the Switch. It's certainly an innovative concept but I'm not 100% sold on it. Using cartridges in this day and age strikes me as really bizarre. My main concern is whether the new Zelda game will play better on it than on the Wii U. If so I'll probably get it.

Some information/speculation on the "cartridges"

But in the debut trailer for the Switch, Nintendo showed off huge third-party games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and NBA 2K17. Those games are around 30GB in size or more. And it’s unlikely that Nintendo would get as much third-party support as it has already attracted if it were going to require companies to chop their games in half to fit on the Switch. That suggests that the new Nintendo system is likely using the latest Mask ROM chips that can hold up to 32GB. That’s still not enough for many games, but it’s possible that a Switch Game Card has enough real estate to include two 32GB-sized Mask ROM chips. That would increase the production cost, but it’s likely that only the most high-end blockbusters would need that much space. And it’s also likely that the Switch will sell more digital games than the Wii U ever did, and that would reduce the overall production cost for a company like Bethesda or 2K.

Finally, cartridges have one more obvious benefit over optical discs, and it’s the same reason no Nintendo handheld has ever used that tech: battery life. A spinning motor would squeeze the juice out of a portable system much faster than a bright screen or powerful graphics chip. Humans just haven’t figured out a lot of ways to increase the efficiency of that mechanical action. That means that discs on a handheld are a terrible idea — just ask the PlayStation Portable — and it makes it worth it to figure out how to make cartridges work instead.

https://venturebeat.com/2016/10/23/nintendo-switch-uses-cartridges-but-this-isnt-like-the-n64/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: October 27, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »
When you install a new graphics card and crank everything to ultra  :lol

https://imgur.com/gallery/t5yq9Wp

Offline adace

« Reply #2570 on: October 30, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »
Just finished the campaign in Titanfall 2 and it was awesome. Super fast-paced combat, great titan loadouts, interesting story. I think this is right up there with Doom as my favorite FPS of the year.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2571 on: October 30, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »
Can't recall if I said this already, and yes I know I am a decade late to the party, but playing through the Mass Effect series has been great fun, especially as that type of game is not in my wheelhouse. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2572 on: October 31, 2016, 06:32:22 AM »
From a Eurogamer interview with a Nintendo rep;

“At a later date, before the March launch, we’ll be talking about things like exact launch date, and of course, the games. You shouldn’t assume what you saw on the video represents actual game footage and further specifics on first-party games will be provided later.”

I am predicting another swing and a miss by Nintendo.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2573 on: October 31, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
Just finished the campaign in Titanfall 2 and it was awesome. Super fast-paced combat, great titan loadouts, interesting story. I think this is right up there with Doom as my favorite FPS of the year.

Nice, I will one day get this and play through.  Just don't want to pay full price when I really only want to play the single player story.  I enjoyed the first titanfall, but just don't see myself sinking my teeth into the multiplayer this time around.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2574 on: October 31, 2016, 10:20:31 PM »
Finished Silent Hill 3. I think I like it a bit more than the second one, this one has definitely better graphics and has aged better in that sense. Story not that good, but still better than the first game despite being a sequel. Soundtrack's fucking lit  :metal

Will take a break from gaming and when I return I'll go with Transistor because I won't bother again with Undertale.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2575 on: October 31, 2016, 11:38:46 PM »
Wait you think SH3 is better than SH2?

No wonder you don't like Undertale.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #2576 on: November 01, 2016, 12:24:23 AM »

I agreed with you. SH3 ain't too bad compared to later games in the series, but it is more than a step down from the great SH2...
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2577 on: November 01, 2016, 01:32:51 AM »
reminder that sacul has no soul

i played the vanishing of ethan carter tonight. pretty nice game. aside from one stupid jumpscare moment it's pretty chill and the story is solid. also the game just looks gorgeous, yeah

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
wel...
« Reply #2578 on: November 01, 2016, 08:01:41 AM »

I agreed with you. SH3 ain't too bad compared to later games in the series, but it is more than a step down from the great SH2...
Just slightly better, like SH2 is a 4/5 game imo and SH3 a 4.25/5 or so. Both games lack good writing imo, the dialogues are pretty amateur. And although they're both based upon simple plots, I think it's the execution of those ideas that's fantastic.  Still too much symbolism for my taste :P

Tbh Undertale underwhelmed me a lot, I think it's weakly designed and I don't like the writing so :lol

reminder that sacul has no soul

i played the vanishing of ethan carter tonight. pretty nice game. aside from one stupid jumpscare moment it's pretty chill and the story is solid. also the game just looks gorgeous, yeah
No u >:V

Nice, have that one on my list (it has almost 100 games kil me plz).

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2579 on: November 01, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
See you rated SH3 correctly the error is that SH2 is a 5/5 game.

Like goddamn, the awkward dialogue and voice acting is one of the best parts. Even if it wasn't intentional, for me it works out to be really eerie, and really sells the angle that everyone is insane.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2580 on: November 01, 2016, 10:25:16 AM »

“At a later date, before the March launch, we’ll be talking about things like exact launch date, and of course, the games. You shouldn’t assume what you saw on the video represents actual game footage and further specifics on first-party games will be provided later.”

Another? I haven't been disappointed yet... and I've been playing since the NES was out.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2581 on: November 01, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »
Many people were disappointed by the Wii, and from a sales perspective both the Gamecube and Wii U underperformed.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2582 on: November 01, 2016, 10:37:14 AM »

Another? I haven't been disappointed yet... and I've been playing since the NES was out.

Maybe you as an individual weren't disappointed in the console itself, but I'm sure Nintendo wasn't thrilled with their sales this year. They posted a $49,000,000 loss in the first quarter of 2016 alone. The best selling title (Mario Kart) for the system to date has sold just 8M units compared GTA-V which moved 11.2M in its first 24 hours. GTA-V has actually sold almost as many copies as the Wii U's entire library to date. Nintendo seriously fucked up with the Wii U.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2583 on: November 01, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »

Maybe you as an individual weren't disappointed in the console itself, but I'm sure Nintendo wasn't thrilled with their sales this year. They posted a $49,000,000 loss in the first quarter of 2016 alone. The best selling title (Mario Kart) for the system to date has sold just 8M units compared GTA-V which moved 11.2M in its first 24 hours. GTA-V has actually sold almost as many copies as the Wii U's entire library to date. Nintendo seriously fucked up with the Wii U.

It's a shame that third party support wouldn't utilize the Gamepad, as it is incredible.

The Wii was a sensational success.

The switch should get Nintendo back into the conversation, but for me, I prefer their innovation to Sony and XBOX just maintaining the status quo.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2584 on: November 01, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
I can't wait to get my little nostalgic pocket NES too.
And they might have made a couple bucks on Pokémon Go.
Never count Nintendo out.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2585 on: November 01, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »

Are you talking about that thing with 30 built in roms? I feel like they screwed that one up too. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely cool, but in this day and age, why would you not connect that thing to an online store? Of the 30 games on it, there's maybe 10 that I'd actually want to play. Obviously there will be people who want all 30 I'm sure, but why would they not make the entire library available for digital download at anywhere from $0.99 to $4.99 a piece? There's probably at least a five million people (possibly way more) that'd have given them $5 for Contra alone.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2586 on: November 01, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »

Are you talking about that thing with 30 built in roms? I feel like they screwed that one up too. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely cool, but in this day and age, why would you not connect that thing to an online store? Of the 30 games on it, there's maybe 10 that I'd actually want to play. Obviously there will be people who want all 30 I'm sure, but why would they not make the entire library available for digital download at anywhere from $0.99 to $4.99 a piece? There's probably at least a five million people (possibly way more) that'd have given them $5 for Contra alone.

My guess... a recurring cost to keep that store afloat plus licensing and whatnot to get more games.  I feel that small NES, like all Nintendo products these days, are marketed towards a very niche gaming crowd.  People will eat up that small NES and then the hype will be gone after Christmas and Nintendo will have walked away with a nice profit off that box and no further commitment.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2587 on: November 01, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »

My guess... a recurring cost to keep that store afloat plus licensing and whatnot to get more games.  I feel that small NES, like all Nintendo products these days, are marketed towards a very niche gaming crowd.  People will eat up that small NES and then the hype will be gone after Christmas and Nintendo will have walked away with a nice profit off that box and no further commitment.

Keeping it afloat shouldn't be terribly difficult as they already have an online system for their legacy stuff on the Wii consoles and their handhelds. They could have just tied it into that for nothing more than the initial development costs. Licensing it is probably the reasoning for it. They could have at least put in an SD card slot to let us play pirated roms, especially seeing as there'd be no additional revenue to lose once the consumer purchases it. I probably would have bought one then.

Victoria bought me one of these last year and it has an SD card slot. It's even advertised with that as a feature "SD Card Slot for Downloadable Games". There's no store to download roms onto it. It's only purpose is to let you pirate. It's freaking sweet.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=95653916&gclid=CjwKEAjw-uDABRDPz4-0tp6T6lMSJADNoyPbkkUZymalKtFhKf7-71DkQUFFbdHeV3XLoTHYWxDyaRoCsB7w_wcB&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID24118723:TRUS&cagpspn=plat_24118723&eESource=CAPLA_DF:95653916:TRUS

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2588 on: November 01, 2016, 07:07:52 PM »
Like goddamn, the awkward dialogue and voice acting is one of the best parts. Even if it wasn't intentional, for me it works out to be really eerie, and really sells the angle that everyone is insane.
Eh, I think the dialogues are really just amateur and simple, not weird. Guess you could make a point for the voice acting tho - considering the year it was created, it's excusable. But I still don't like it :P

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2589 on: November 02, 2016, 04:15:40 PM »
Titanfall 2s singleplayer is one of the coolest i've played recently. The environments are amazing and not only visually but design wise they're so cool and varied. Blowing humans up in your Titans are soo satisfying.  :lol Haven't touched MP yet.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls