Author Topic: JLB on the possibility of "DT by request" shows  (Read 4978 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
JLB on the possibility of "DT by request" shows
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
I bet most of you read this already but what the hell: https://www.prog-sphere.com/news/james-labrie-talks-possibility-of-dream-theater-playing-all-request-set/
Asked if Dream Theater would ever playing an “all-request” set the way Metallica is doing on its current tour, LaBrie said: “We haven’t gotten to that point yet. I don’t think so. Although we have enough songs that we could do that. It would just probably take a little bit more rehearsals to make sure that we’ve got all those songs down pat. [Laughs] But I think that’s really cool — the fact that they can just pull out any one of their songs from their vast catalog. It would be really cool to do, but, yeah, that’s probably later on the road, if ever.“
I've actually wondered what songs fans would pick if DT did something like this. The setlists Metallica have played this year have been "greatest hits" shows for the most part. DT might have enough casual fans to vote for the likes of Constant Motion and Panic Attack, but what else would they play? I could see songs from classic albums like I&W and Scenes getting lots of votes, as well as some of the epics, but the length of the songs might be problematic. Metallica have allowed fans to vote for 17 songs, but they don't have 20-minute epics, and if DT did the same thing and everyone voted for ACOS, Octavarium, Six Degrees, etc., the show would be like 5 hours long :lol Anyway, I doubt this will ever happen, but it'd be really cool if it did!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: JLB on the possibility of "DT by request" shows
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:29:54 AM »
I saw this yesterday on FB and always started a thread about it, but I figured someone else would, and here we are. :lol

But yeah, it'd be a cool idea.  That could always put a cap on it, to where only a certain number of 20 minute plus songs will be played, 10 minute plus songs, etc.  Would be pretty neat. 

If nothing else, it would put rob's theory on You Not me to the test. :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »
The problem for DT is that their songs are too technical to just play at the drop of a hat.  The meter changes alone require preparation and rehearsal.  For Metallica, if they get a request for something obscure that they haven't played much in ages, if, for example, Lars doesn't remember the subtleties of a drum fill at a particular section of a song, he can probably just wing something that works because the song is likely in standard time signatures that flow easily.  If you get a similar scenario in a DT song, not knowing the subtleties and nuances in every section of the song could easily get MM playing the wrong time signature and creating a complete trainwreck.  I just don't see this working for DT.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
I would be totally down for a fan-voting like BTBAM did for their Colors DVD and so many other bands do.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »
DT would have to cap it somehow like Kev said, also they would need the sets decided waaaayyyy ahead of time. Like voting would need to close a month before the show, which wouldn't really work because a lot of people attending the show wouldn't have tickets by then potentially. Overall, it would be tough for a band like DT to do.

I would be totally down for a fan-voting like BTBAM did for their Colors DVD and so many other bands do.

Having the fans vote to pick the set list for one show where the band is filmed is another story though, that is totally possible and could work really well. 

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »
But yeah, it'd be a cool idea.  That could always put a cap on it, to where only a certain number of 20 minute plus songs will be played, 10 minute plus songs, etc.  Would be pretty neat. 

Yeah, a cap is obligatory.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
I was gonna start a thread about this, but I read the article and it seemed his response was pretty much "I guess, but prolly not". I think it's definately an interesting concept, but, as you said, there are enough casual fans that we'd probably end up with a setlist consisting of their most popular stuff (PMU, CM, TEI, OTBOA, etc.)...

The more I thought about it though, it would be cool to have fan picked songs along with a static setlist. Maybe there could be like a 30 minute time slot that could be filled by the people who purchased tickets for that venue. If they had a little poll on the site with songs to choose from, or if there was a way to vote when purchasing tickets online, I think it would be cool to see them try.

The problem for DT is that their songs are too technical to just play at the drop of a hat.  The meter changes alone require preparation and rehearsal.  For Metallica, if they get a request for something obscure that they haven't played much in ages, if, for example, Lars doesn't remember the subtleties of a drum fill at a particular section of a song, he can probably just wing something that works because the song is likely in standard time signatures that flow easily.  If you get a similar scenario in a DT song, not knowing the subtleties and nuances in every section of the song could easily get MM playing the wrong time signature and creating a complete trainwreck.  I just don't see this working for DT.
That would be a problem. But, if they only had so many songs to pick from it would allow them to prepare for those songs. It would still be difficult though. Especially since we don't really know how much of the DT library Mangini has learned so far. What Ultimetalhead said about a DVD would work well though, and would give them time to prepare. I'd love to see them do something like that.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:05 AM »
Actually, I'm not opposed to the idea, and I could have seen this coming true if Portnoy were still in the band. His penchant for doing varying set lists throughout a tour would really lend itself to a "By Request" pool of songs. Instead of MP writing up the set list for a show/venue/city, the fans could pick from a pool of songs and they'd get what they want at their show. I could also see the tickets costing a bit more with the added incentive of being able to vote for songs.

With the way the band operates now, though, I don't see this happening for a very long time, if ever.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:14 AM »
I can see JLB would be the saddest member if they ever did it. Fans tend to choose vocally challenging songs, especially old fans.  But nonetheless, it's pretty cool thing to do.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
They could always do a 2-week mini-tour in select cities where they play "by request" tunes and a few obscure tunes that they never play (like Speak to Me or stuff like that, which likely would never win request contests except here at DTF :lol).  I'll bet those shows would sell out in a heartbeat, especially if they only did like six or seven shows over the span of those 2 weeks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
Gotta be honest, that kind of thing could only have been pulled off in the MP days. I don't see it happening, given the rigidity of their shows these days.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »
I can see JLB would be the saddest member if they ever did it. Fans tend to choose vocally challenging songs, especially old fans.  But nonetheless, it's pretty cool thing to do.

Well, if the band offered a selection of songs from which the fans could vote, they wouldn't have to worry about performance issues. They'd only put up songs that they know they can handle, especially songs they know JLB can still sing well. I doubt we'd see much Majesty/WDADU/IAW/Awake material on those lists, and outside of a few IAW classics, and one or two Awake songs, I doubt any of those albums would even have songs listed.

I could imagine the bulk of the songs presented would be from SFAM-SC, seeing as how 5 of the 6 BC&SL have been played in the last few years, and their last two albums have been toured extensively.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
Even if they just let people vote on one or two songs for a one-off special show (such as a DVD) out of a selection of rare tracks, that would be cool. As has been pointed out, the logistics of DT playing a whole setlist "by request" would be a huge task compared to a band like Metallica.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »
Maybe that means they'd play The Glass Prison :)

I can just see people voting for Space-Dye Vest or The Best of Times and LaBrie just responds with "No". :lol

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »
Well, if the band offered a selection of songs from which the fans could vote, they wouldn't have to worry about performance issues. They'd only put up songs that they know they can handle, especially songs they know JLB can still sing well. I doubt we'd see much Majesty/WDADU/IAW/Awake material on those lists, and outside of a few IAW classics, and one or two Awake songs, I doubt any of those albums would even have songs listed.

I could imagine the bulk of the songs presented would be from SFAM-SC, seeing as how 5 of the 6 BC&SL have been played in the last few years, and their last two albums have been toured extensively.
-Marc.
POSSIBLE SETLIST SPOILERS
Not sure if that's still a thing, but I don't want to spoil it for anybody who doesn't know and is seeing the second leg.

I don't see why SFAM would be on the list instead of Awake, it's been toured extensively recently as well. Also, JLB does just fine on Awake stuff judging by mostly every performance of them I've seen this year. Maybe you're talking about in the future a ways.
I'd expect to see songs from 8VM, FII, SC, and maybe the occasional favorite from other albums.

Online nikatapi

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
The idea of voting for a concert that is going to be filmed sounds great, for a whole tour it just can't happen given how planned the setlists are and MM being unfamiliar with a large part of the catalog.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
Also, JLB does just fine on Awake stuff judging by mostly every performance of them I've seen this year.

All told, I think the material from Awake is definitely NOT the most challenging in DT's catalog.  There are definitely some difficult passages for a singer, don't get me wrong.  But overall, the vocal melodies are structured very well so that they have nice builds that allow James to reach those difficult notes, have good breathing space for him to catch his breath, and other things that help a singer.  In contrast, some of the vocal passes on I&W are not written well from the perspective of having a singer perform them well in a live setting.  Take The Time and Another Day are prime examples.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »

-Marc.
POSSIBLE SETLIST SPOILERS
Not sure if that's still a thing, but I don't want to spoil it for anybody who doesn't know and is seeing the second leg.

I don't see why SFAM would be on the list instead of Awake, it's been toured extensively recently as well. Also, JLB does just fine on Awake stuff judging by mostly every performance of them I've seen this year. Maybe you're talking about in the future a ways.
I'd expect to see songs from 8VM, FII, SC, and maybe the occasional favorite from other albums.

Whoops.  :facepalm: Like you, I wasn't sure if set list spoilers for the tour were "still a thing" or not, but if it's an issue, I will edit my post to be more...vague.

And yes, I'm talking about the future, maybe a tour or two from now, if not further. I included the SFAM stuff because it's popular, and it's a fan favorite album, so I'd like to think the band would enjoy playing any song from it. And as for the Awake stuff, between the last tour and the current one, they've played a good chunk of music from that album, with only a few songs not played. I'm sure they'll play them at some point in the next tour or two, regardless of whether or not they're on a fan-voted set list.

-Marc.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »
Also, JLB does just fine on Awake stuff judging by mostly every performance of them I've seen this year.

All told, I think the material from Awake is definitely NOT the most challenging in DT's catalog.  There are definitely some difficult passages for a singer, don't get me wrong.  But overall, the vocal melodies are structured very well so that they have nice builds that allow James to reach those difficult notes, have good breathing space for him to catch his breath, and other things that help a singer.  In contrast, some of the vocal passes on I&W are not written well from the perspective of having a singer perform them well in a live setting.  Take The Time and Another Day are prime examples.
I agree, but The Letter M included Awake as some of the selections we probably wouldn't see with the implication it was because of the difficulty, which is why I said he had done fine. Or at least that's how I read that post.

And yes, I'm talking about the future, maybe a tour or two from now, if not further. I included the SFAM stuff because it's popular, and it's a fan favorite album, so I'd like to think the band would enjoy playing any song from it. And as for the Awake stuff, between the last tour and the current one, they've played a good chunk of music from that album, with only a few songs not played. I'm sure they'll play them at some point in the next tour or two, regardless of whether or not they're on a fan-voted set list.
That makes sense. SFAM seems to be their most popular album with a huge chunk of fans, but Awake is pretty popular too. I can see I&W not being included much because of the difficulty, but I don't think the same goes for Awake. If this is a ways down the road, I can see Awake being included if they haven't included it in years prior to the whole hypothetical tour we're describing.

Also, I don't think your post had any spoilers, I was talking about mine, since I basically mention specifically what they play.

EDIT: The Letter M, I read that as "SFAM/SC" not "SFAM - SC". Sorry about that. In that case I pretty much agree with you, but I still think Awake would be more prominent.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:29:35 AM by Sir Walrus Cauliflower »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »
That could always put a cap on it, to where only a certain number of 20 minute plus songs will be played, 10 minute plus songs, etc.
I was thinking of a system where the website counts the track lengths together and you can't go past a certain limit (2,5 hours if it's "an evening with DT"), but your idea is good too.
I can just see people voting for Space-Dye Vest or The Best of Times and LaBrie just responds with "No". :lol
Actually, I'm sure SDV could've received a lot of votes if they had done this request thing before the current tour, because so many fans wanted to hear it live. I doubt TBOT would have any chances, though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »
There's so many recorded versions of their songs, I really don't know what song should be even on that list. The only one I could think of is "Eve", but I gotta be honest, I sometimes think it's best left alone, given how I don't like the new SDV all that much.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 12:13:22 PM »
In that same interview James suggested they could appeal to more fans by going on stage nude. 

I think there is an equal possibility of them doing that as an all request show. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »
So you're saying there IS a chance? :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »
I figured that if they did this, it would be fans choosing an entire tour's setlist, and it would be setup like this:

Pick an opener
First place opens the show, second place opens the second set.
[   ] Metropolis
[   ] The Glass Prison
[   ] As I Am
[   ] The Root of all Evil
[   ] A Nightmare to Remember
[   ] Bridges in the Sky
[   ] The Enemy Inside

Choose a play-off
[   ] Under a Glass Moon
[   ] 6:00
[   ] Caught in a Web
[   ] Erotomania/Voices
[   ] The Mirror/Lie
[   ] New Millennium
[   ] You Not Me
[   ] Beyond This Life
[   ] Constant Motion
[   ] The Dark Eternal Night
[   ] The Shattered Fortress
[   ] The Looking Glass

Choose an Instrumental

Choose a rarity

Choose an unreleased track

Choose an epic

Choose a closer

Free choice

etc.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »
Yeah Grizz, thats kinda what I was thinking too...  I'd be into that concept!

They would pretty much have to structure it with some limitations, like already mentioned in this thread, so that they didn't end up with an awkward set full of epics and doing it in that manner would certainly accomplish that.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »
That statement is only a little more removed than the ones he gave on An Evening With shows, and special acoustic shows. One happened, the other didn't. But don't rule this out.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
I vote Kevin Moore get on the stage for any reason.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 01:20:20 PM »
In response to Grizz; I can see that being more viable so they can prepare for tour beforehand. They'd probably need a "Latest tracks" section or something to make sure a few songs off whatever album they're touring for gets played, that's a realy good idea though. I think it'd be really cool to let fans decide what they play.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 01:38:25 PM »
If the band were to do this, they would have to limit the selections I would think.  Reason being is that unlike Metallica, DT do not have "hits" that a majority of the people want to see.  Just look at this forum, I think there are only a handful of songs everyone here would agree to and then the rest is a mish mash because everyone has thier own opinions.  I think it would lead to a different set every night of completely different songs and it wouldnt be possible to pull off.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »
As I understand it, Metallica is NOT having the fans pick the entire setlist, nor or they drawing from their whole catalog.  Each night the fans vote on three songs selected by the band.  The one song that wins among those three is played that night as the "fan voted song."

If you look at Metallica's recent setlists, you will notice that the three song choices are rotated out of a standing pool of five or six songs throughout the leg.  I'm sure DT could do this no problem.   The interviewer did not explain to James that Metallica's voting system was based on six songs.  I  hope understanding this may change James' answer.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
The way I saw it, Metallica has the ticket buyers pick a setlist through an electronic poll via email where the fans get to pick songs from the whole discography.  The top 16 songs from this poll per show will get played and the three songs, that was outside the top 16, are voted throughout the night through text messaging, I think.  This structure allowed Metallica to bring out ...And Justice for All, The Frayed Ends of Sanity (only once though), and, yes, even St. Anger.  Some people wished that the idea would have brought out more rarities.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
As I understand it, Metallica is NOT having the fans pick the entire setlist, nor or they drawing from their whole catalog.  Each night the fans vote on three songs selected by the band.  The one song that wins among those three is played that night as the "fan voted song."

If you look at Metallica's recent setlists, you will notice that the three song choices are rotated out of a standing pool of five or six songs throughout the leg.  I'm sure DT could do this no problem.   The interviewer did not explain to James that Metallica's voting system was based on six songs.  I  hope understanding this may change James' answer.

I guess I should probably do my own research if I wanted to clarify for myself. But I guess I was also under the impression, especially the way the live shows are presented with that big intro presentation at the start saying something along the lines of: "songs, chosen by YOU!". Tad misleading tbh or perhaps just too vague because it's designed to hype up the crowd.

Anyway, if this is the way Metallica are actually doing it then I do think DT could pull it off too. As mentioned by some members already; I think they should still use a somewhat static set based on new material they want to play, plus any other material that is contextually relevant to the type of show they're playing, then have some room for a few requests somewhere on the setlist. Sounds like an amazing idea to me. This might not ring entirely true but I would have thought everyone wins in that scenario because it's somewhere inbetween the old rotating setlists and the static sets.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
Or set up basic guidelines and play like a handful of shows based on requests... but with a decent amount of time for rehearsals. Like... 4 shows...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:16 AM »
I can't see them doing this show-by-show, but it would be cool for them to construct their touring setlist around fan input.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 05:24:17 AM »
I think if DT went back to a more revolving setlist, this sort of request thing is not needed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.